HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 3, 2010, 8:13 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

there was no yrs listed sadly

Old Posted Mar 3, 2010, 11:49 PM
Starring as himself

Interesting. Those are the old wooden buildings, including Foote's studio, that were replaced by the Cadomin Building (Wilson's Furniture) in 1912, with the Scott Block (1904), which is still standing, in behind. So this would be between 1904 and 1912.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2010, 1:16 AM
Density and complexity

Here is an article from the Winnipeg Tribune, 1960, on a duplex at the corner of Martha and Logan Ave. The owner of the house at the time of the article's writing, to me, sounds like the archetypical downtown property owner of today, and an example of why Winnipeg never recovered after 1914

(Photo taken in 1964)

"Disraeli Freeway has taken the wraps off Point Douglas. People who never heard of Thomas Douglas, Earl of Selkirk, are seeing the ground where his sttlers' log huts were burnt after the Seven Oaks massacre. Their stockaded fort, sold to Robert Logan in 1825, was in turn demolished to make room for posh brick homes in the booming '80s. Today they too await the hammer. Only street names remain.
Where the impatient highway swings past the CPR to Logan and Main a begrimed old house attracts the eye of business men turning away from the Rotary and Kiwanis luncheons at Royal Alexandra Hotel. It was built in 1889 for $15,000 by a leather goods merchant, Ernest F. Hutchings. In 1905 he moved from his Martha home to 424 Wellington Crescent, taking its name with him. Both places in turn he called Gifford Hall, a family name. The Crescent house is today the German Consulate.
He died a millionaire in 1930 but he came to Winnipeg on foot with 50 cents in his pocket. At 15 he'd been apprenticed to a harness maker at Newboro, Ont. At 19, a journeyman, he walked from Port Arthur to Fort Garry.
It was 1875, a grasshopper year, and no work to be had at Red River. 'Broadcloth' Smith talked him into going to Edmonton, an Eldorado. Ernest made a little money repairing harness, spent the winter in a log cabin, trapping his meat. Back to Winnipeg in 1877 he his few goods in the hotel he stopped at when fire broke out.
But Mr. Hutchings' skill at repairing harness was now in demand. In two years he had a partner and a shop on the west side of Main St., at McDermot. In 1900 he organized a wholesale firm, Great West Saddlery, with a capital of a quarter-million. He sold out four years before his death. Today Birt Saddlery at Main and Market bears the name of his son-in-law, Jack Birt.
No. 47-49 Martha St. today leaves a nostalgic feeling in the heart for all passed splendours. It's dark and dready. The owner, Alpin McGregor, who bought in 1933 to settle an estate, admits, 'I'm in a bad way. I don't know whether to spend money on it or let it go. The city fire and water departments are checking up on me. The city took my corner, eight feet in from the interesection, in May and nothing has been paid yet. I asked for $1,000 but they want to give me only $500.'
With United Empire Loyalist and Scottish blood, Mr. McGregor came to Winnipeg from Fort William in the boom year of 1925, 'to play the Grain Exchange.' He had no success. Then came the offer to buy the house. 'It was depression days, with city relief people in it, and pensioners.'
A dance hall and a Jewish restaurant had been conducted briefly in the Martha house, then owner said. 'It cost $15,000 to build, I've heard. They say I can get $20,000, but I doubt it.'
The hall was dark, its once splendid square staircase rising behind his shoulders. The plush seat built in at the bottom was faded and scuffed. The high ceiling light sprang from concretic circles of white plaster.
'It would make a good spot for that new police station, if they took the whole block to Alexander Ave.,' mused Mr. McGregor.
Ernest F. Hutchings, Academy Rd., is the only one of the five children born in the house who now lives in Winnipeg. 'My brother Harold is in Mantoulin Island, my sister Hazel in Vancouver.'
W.M. Thompson, present of the firm now, recalls having lunch and dinner in the Martha house in 1905.
'It was good food, I remember, and a big family sat round the dining room table. A large glass chandeliere came well down over the table. Flowered carpet reached from wall to wall. I'd just come from our Ontario farm it all seemed very swish to me.'
Mr. Hutchings was his uncle. 'He was six-feet-two, with a moustache, a fine looking man," says Mr. Thompson.
W.C. Birt, borther of jack who married one of the daughters, says the Martha house was 'the best house in Winnipeg at the time. Yes, '89 must be the date it was built. We came in '88. It was wonderful to be in that house. The family was very sociable. 'Society' people lived on James St. then. We used to go out to the sand hills to play golf and stay at The Castle, we called it.'
Mr. Thompson has a picture, 'Best wishes, Christmas, 1912," showing Chateau Hutchings, a castle if there ever was one, all pointed cupolas and battlement. The address was 'Lorne Hill,' now Bird's Hill, and the golf course became the Winnipeg Golf Course."

Old Posted Mar 4, 2010, 2:20 AM
working stiff

Those are some interesting scenes of Winnipeg back in the day

Old Posted Mar 4, 2010, 5:16 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

When was the Royal Alex demolished, '67?

Old Posted Mar 4, 2010, 5:21 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Old Posted Mar 4, 2010, 9:09 PM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
There should be a government funded Polo Park Museum. It was the first indoor mall in western Canada and people need to know Winnipeg's place in the development of retail.

There should be a whole gallery dedicated to its humble begining as an outdoor shopping centre.
Actually the first indoor mall in Western Canada was built in Thompson, MB.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2010, 10:55 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

what bout leaf rapids thing?

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 8:54 PM
http://www.archiseek.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipegger@Heart View Post

The Graham Avenue image is a new one to me - nice apartment building

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 3:31 AM

I had these slide transparencies in a box that my dad took in the summer of 1974. Our family moved out to Vancouver the following year. Looking back, it would have been great if he could have taken more images than he did, but not owning a car I guess he did not feel like going all over the city. At least he took a few! I projected them onto a screen and then used my digital camera. I do not have a scanner yet and although they could have looked a bit better they are decent enough. Hope some of you can get something out of them.

The rest below are from 1977 when I was visiting, can't really blame my father for not taking enough, I didn't either! The photograph with the trees is what I believe is called Peanut Park, at least when I was going to Kelvin High in the early '70's. I used to cut through there to and from home.The "panorama" shots were taken from atop the Chateau 100, pretty sure that is what the apartment hi rise was called. It has been a few years trying to remember. Another mistake was not having a wide angle lens, just had the standard 50mm on my Pentax back then. Wish I had been more serious about photography.

Last edited by CitySlicker; Apr 18, 2010 at 2:09 AM.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 3:45 AM

rad photos, thanks!

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 4:27 AM

We looked like more of a real city back then.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 6:59 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

yes thats from chatoe 100 but that first one is from portage and main at the richardson building... and damn a shot from when the underground mall was going in u got anymore stuff from that view or at ground lvl even if its junky shots

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 1:03 PM
Density and complexity

Wonderful photos. Thank you for sharing!

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 1:22 PM

Thank you Thank you Thank you, what a great trip down memory lane. This just made my day.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 1:54 PM
What could go wrong?

Can some one please, please rebuild the McIntyre Block. I know it caught fire but come on, a gravel parking lot - at Portage and Main.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Can some one please, please rebuild the McIntyre Block. I know it caught fire but come on, a gravel parking lot - at Portage and Main.
Fire? I thought it was torn down out of spite.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 2:22 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^ I thought there was a substantial fire - i think there are pictures somewhere on here. I could be wrong though. If you happen to be right i am even madder than i was two posts ago.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 4:46 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
^^^ I thought there was a substantial fire - i think there are pictures somewhere on here. I could be wrong though. If you happen to be right i am even madder than i was two posts ago.
No, it was just torn down. By the standards of the time it seemed decrepit and not in keeping with the modern image the city wanted to project. A few people cared, but the preservationist movement wasn't strong enough and had to save its energies for the Commerce and Hamilton buildings, which were also slated for demolition at around the same time.

The more I look at these photos the more it seems to me that downtown's demise can be dated to 1979-80 when St. Vital and Kildonan Place malls opened. Through the 1970s there was kind of a stay of execution as Winnipeg somehow made do with only one major shopping centre for much longer than other similar cities did. The loss of the Tribune in 1980 and the very painful recession of 1980-81 compounded the problem.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 7:04 PM

I wish I had more photographs - although here is a chance my mother or sister might have some as well. Waiting to hear back from them. If I had been on top of events back then, or even aware of them, I would have taken more shots. Here are a few odds and ends. First one is from 1977 and the rest are dated Summer/Fall 1972 in Fort Rouge where we lived.

Cockburn St. looking N. at Garwood

Garwood looking W. towards Cockburn

Pembina Hwy. looking S. at Hugo St.

The next four are from Summer 1992. Not sure how much things have changed since in the areas concerned, hope they are relevant.

The last two were taken in the Spring of 1959. It does not show too much as my dad was taking pictures of some steam engines. This is right at the rail overpass on Osborne St. next to the James B. Carter building. I think I can see the Fort Gary Hotel in the distance in the first image, maybe it is an old mansion. By the way, engine # 6030 & 6057 are the same type as 6043 - preserved in Assiniboine Park.

Last edited by CitySlicker; Mar 24, 2010 at 12:35 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan