HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jul 19, 2013, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXboom View Post
What's the realistic timing of this thing breaking ground? Doesn't 2nd need to be extended first? The city is always behind schedule with their projects... If 2nd is necessary, why develop a schematic layout?
The City's Emerging Project list (which was updated on July 2) has this project listed separately (as R98) from the Green project with a construction start date of 2013.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2013, 12:53 AM

I'm fairly certain that I've read somewhere that the 2nd Street extension and the lower section of Shoal Creek improvements were supposed to be some of the first things to happen as part of this project. Permits for Phase I of Nueces and 2nd extensions have been approved, utility relocation permits are still pending.

Edit: According to the City, the Seaholm side of 2nd, along with the bridge and Shoal Creek improvements, will be in conjunction with the building of the library, so this fall.

Last edited by zedaref; Jul 20, 2013 at 1:01 AM. Reason: Clarification and addendum

Old Posted Jul 20, 2013, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedaref View Post
I'm fairly certain that I've read somewhere that the 2nd Street extension and the lower section of Shoal Creek improvements were supposed to be some of the first things to happen as part of this project. Permits for Phase I of Nueces and 2nd extensions have been approved, utility relocation permits are still pending.

Edit: According to the City, the Seaholm side of 2nd, along with the bridge and Shoal Creek improvements, will be in conjunction with the building of the library, so this fall.
2nd Street east of Shoal Creek and Nueces south of 2nd will be built by Trammel Crow when they build Block 1.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2013, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
2nd Street east of Shoal Creek and Nueces south of 2nd will be built by Trammel Crow when they build Block 1.
I'm fairly certain that 2nd St. extension is coinciding with the construction of the new library. There have been renderings posted showing what the 2nd St. bridge over Shoal Creek will look like.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2013, 8:45 PM

Quote:
The Austin City Council on Thursday approved $91.6 million to build the new library at West Cesar Chavez Street and West Avenue, $18.6 million to extend West Second Street and build a vehicle, bike and pedestrian bridge over Shoal Creek, and $1.7 million for a public art wall that will surround an electric substation nearby.
http://www.mystatesman.com/news/news...t-in-ju/nXmzD/

Old Posted Jul 20, 2013, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin_Expert View Post
I'm fairly certain that 2nd St. extension is coinciding with the construction of the new library. There have been renderings posted showing what the 2nd St. bridge over Shoal Creek will look like.
Yes, but only the bridge and to the west. Trammell Crow is handling everything east of that: permit. ATXboom was worried that Block 1 would take a while to start because of having to wait on the city to extend the street, but this shouldn't be an issue.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2013, 11:42 AM
Meh

The Central Emerging Projects list says Block 1 will start this year.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/DowntownAu...2013-07-01.pdf

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 31, 2013, 5:49 PM
Meh

I've moved the Seaholm Intake posts to their own thread here:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=206757

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 31, 2013, 8:11 PM
~Hook'em~

Oh, ok. My bad. Didn't know there was a thread for it. Thank you Kevin.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 1:52 AM

How much are four trees in downtown Austin worth? At least $103,000 a year in this case
Robert Grattan
Staff Writer- Austin Business Journal
August 13, 2013

Quote:
The city of Austin has executed a deal that offers compensation to developer Trammell Crow Co. in exchange for preserving four "heritage" oak trees and giving up 60,000 square feet of potential development at the site of the old Green Water Treatment Plant near Lady Bird Lake.

[SNIP]

The Green project is set to break ground by the end of this year or beginning of next, Nims said.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 12:37 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
Excited to see updated renderings, but how is it only 404' tall with 40 stories? It's obviously because each floor is 10ft as shown on the elevation PDF, but still surprising. I guess 8ft tall ceilings would allow for 10ft floors. That seems low though on an apartment complex overlooking Town Lake.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyYoda View Post
Excited to see updated renderings, but how is it only 404' tall with 40 stories? It's obviously because each floor is 10ft as shown on the elevation PDF, but still surprising. I guess 8ft tall ceilings would allow for 10ft floors. That seems low though on an apartment complex overlooking Town Lake.
It's 38 floors, not 40. So that would account for the height.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 5:48 PM

I have to say that I'm a little bit underwhelmed by Solomon Cordwell Buenz's work. Not super underwhelmed, just a little underwhelmed. Some of it's really good, but on the whole it just doesn't strike me as being very creative or bold. Maybe most of it being in the same city (Chicago) has something to do with it.

I'm also somewhat nervous about the building being set back from Cesar Chavez. What's that going to look like? Will it spatially disrupt the look of the street? It might not be bad if there's a restaurant/patio there along Cesar Chavez.

Anyway, I'm still excited and optimistic about this project. I like that the building has gradation/three "steps". As I've said before here, that gradation is part of the reason that Austin's skyline is so picturesque. And this will only help in that.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 5:53 PM

Quote:
What's different? I've been flipping between tabs and can't see anything that has been changed.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 7:12 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedaref View Post
What's different? I've been flipping between tabs and can't see anything that has been changed.
I had missed your post before. I just saw the blog updated and posted it here. It does look to be the same as what you posted, though.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 10:52 PM

Quote:
I had missed your post before. I just saw the blog updated and posted it here. It does look to be the same as what you posted, though.
I assumed Jude had posted it back when it first was released but I just went back and didn't see it mentioned. I guess when he said these were "updated elevations" he was referring to a rendering or something, as I don't recall any previous architectural elevations.

Now we wait for updated renderings...

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 8:07 AM
Meh

Those elevations have been around for at least a month. They were first posted to the city's website. I already had that one saved.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Aug 17, 2013, 10:58 PM
CIA since 2003

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old Posted Aug 17, 2013, 11:28 PM

Nice. I think that step back from the lake is a preemptive strike against the NIMBYs who love to use the shadow casting scare tactic as a reason to be against high rises near the lake. I personally think shadows are great around here whether they are from trees or buildings because it's so damn hot for much of the year.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin