HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 8:55 PM

Winnipeg | 1475 Molson Street

Construction is well under way for an assisted living and memory care facility for seniors. the building consists of a 6 story tower facility for assisted living and a 3 story and 2 story wing for memory care.

The building is foundation is concrete, above grade the building is made from large Timber Glulam Framing and floors are made from Cross Laminated Timber spanning great distances

Here is a cross section of floor, it seems to vary in thickness by floor based on live load

Some floor pieces must be 60' long

Last edited by prairiedog007; Jun 7, 2021 at 9:20 PM.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 9:14 PM

Thanks for sharing the photos. Looks interesting!

This type of place is also sorely needed. I've had family members and have friends with family with dementia. And the memory care type thing, which I assume refers to dementia, etc, is a tough thing to handle. People with dementia typically get lumped in with the general pop of varying needs. And it can be very difficult, because day to day there's really nothing urgently medically 'wrong' with them. So they tend to be a bit ignored, which is the exact opposite of what they need.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 9:19 PM

thanks bomberjet, yea apparently the thought process behind this facility is you can still be with your spouse while they are in the memory wing and you can live in the assisted wing and still see them everyday and also you could move from assisted into the memory wing if you got dementia or alzheimers

first seniors project by Edison Properties

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 10:56 PM

That plus the new condos going up will really fill that back area up.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiedog007 View Post
thanks bomberjet, yea apparently the thought process behind this facility is you can still be with your spouse while they are in the memory wing and you can live in the assisted wing and still see them everyday and also you could move from assisted into the memory wing if you got dementia or alzheimers

first seniors project by Edison Properties
I wonder if the scope of this project was influenced by the founder of Edison Properties (Martin Bergen) suffering from Dementia and being placed in Bethania Person Care Home until his passing?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 12:57 PM
Mooderator

I deleted your other threads. Nice project!

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 5:47 PM

Project is progressing nicely,
The two wings are just conventional wood framing

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 8:10 PM

It definitely looks different when driving by on Lag. Compared to the Bloom and Timber construction next door which is conventional wood frame.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 7:14 PM

Some shots from a week ago
Main Building

Memory Wing

And a shot of Bloom and Timber Looking North down Lag

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 7:46 PM

It's an interesting building.

Some of the exterior is a pre-cast black panel. The rest is steel studs and insulation. Was hoping there would be a bit more flare to the building, with the unique wood construction.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 9:12 PM

Yea looks like from the outside all the timbers will be covered with nothing to see, i will see if i can get some better close ups this week

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 10:02 PM

I guess the renders show it as a white box haha.. forgot about that part.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 4:25 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

wow that lumber looks nice wonder how much of it will be exposed vs drywalled over

Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 2:25 PM

The entire inside should be exposed. Ceiling, columns, everything. Could be very nice.

This product seems like a sustainable venture? Quick growth tree farms, 2x4's glued together.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 2:35 PM

My mom was struggling since my dad passed. She moved into Assisted Living but it was still too large with too much independence. She had a stroke and her anxiety level skyrocketed. She would get lost on the way to laundry or even in her own apartment, not recognizing it.

Finally took her to the ER and she was admitted for five weeks and had her meds sorted. They suspected dementia. I had to fight with the long term care guy because he insisted she go to a nursing home. Aside from her memory and anxiety and confusion, there was nothing wrong with her. Still dressed, groomed, bathed, ate etc. Even the hospital social worker was against the move.

I had never heard of memory care ie. Supportive Housing. But quickly found a place. We had to basically sneak an Ipad into the hospital so the supportive housing place could have their nurse conduct her own assessment. They agreed she'd do well there. As a result, the long term care guy relented and basically said, I disagree but whatever.

She's been there for two months and doing very well. She actually finds it a bit too restrictive for her as she has improved with meds and a smaller more secure and supportive place to live.

So these places are badly needed. Essentially for people who are physically able to look after themselves but have memory, confusion. They need some re-direction and reminders. But the place is locked and secure. They consist of smaller studio style rooms (private bathrooms - I equate it to a hotel room) with common living room, kitchens, lounges, patios, backyard etc. They cook all meals for you, clean, do your laundry (my mom loves doing laundry for some reason so they let her do it herself).

Very good places. Very much needed. A wonderful in-between spot between Assisted Living and a nursing home. I know for my mom, had she gone to a nursing home, she'd have declined faster and been miserable. These are great options.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 3:38 PM

The gluelam lumber for the main building comes from Nordic
https://www.nordic.ca/en/products/no...-timber-glulam

Old Posted Sep 13, 2021, 9:40 PM

Some more progress shots 1475 Molson

Close up of exterior

Roof

Old Posted Sep 14, 2021, 1:48 PM

Thanks for the updates. Do you know if it'll stay black? The renders show the building as mostly white.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2021, 4:10 PM

Been wondering that myself, If i had to guess, its going to be black with some white accents, as I just can't imagine painting over black, I will try and get some closer shots next time

Old Posted Sep 17, 2021, 3:14 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

the black looks like a building envelope seal of some sort and theres still a finish to go overtope of it

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan