HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jul 3, 2015, 12:56 PM

Found this gem on Trimet's page:

http://howweroll.trimet.org/2015/06/...n-hot-weather/

Quote:
WHY OUR TRAINS SLOW DOWN WHEN IT HEATS UP
JUNE 23, 2015

Steel and copper expand in the heat

In the case of extreme heat, the rails (made of steel) and the overhead power wires (made of copper) expand.

A one-mile stretch of rail in the MAX system may expand up to a few inches. This rail has to go somewhere, and when it gets too hot it can actually bend or lay over on its side! Our operators and controllers call this a “sun kink.”

Additionally, the overhead power wires may also expand. Because copper expands more than steel, and because we can’t allow the overhead wires to sag, we have a system of pulleys with counterweights that tug on the wires to keep them tight. (But sometimes, it gets so hot that the counterweights touch the ground and the wire starts to sag anyway!)
While this doesn't surprise me, it seems like this would cause a lot more metal fatigue than how the Skytrain rails are put together.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 5:46 PM

Kicking a dead horse but...

http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/2015/07/08...cary-expensive

The poll is about equal, note that it is an Opinion column.
Quote:
Should Surrey pursue a P3 for LRT?
Thursday, July 9, 2015

31% 44 votes Yes

36% 51 votes No

33% 45 votes Neither - do SkyTrain
Quote:
Surrey LRT plans scary expensive
By Laila Yuile, July 8, 2015

Enter Surrey Mayor Linda Hepner, who finds herself in the awkward position of having promised to have LRT running in the city by 2018, but has yet to find an economically viable way to do that.

With the city carrying a debt load of approximately $245 million, borrowing to finance a $2-billion-plus project isn’t an option. That has the city grasping at straws to locate funds, and Hepner making headlines again for suggesting she might “take back” the city’s share of gas tax that currently goes directly to TransLink.

Hepner’s lastest suggestion has critics once again raising questions as to whether LRT is really even the best economic or logistical option for rapid transit in Surrey.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 7:30 PM

What I don't understand about Surrey is why they continue to keep their taxes so low. They are one of the lowest in the lower mainland and you can tell by the crappy single lane roads, lack of sidewalks, unfinished streets (especially ones they where they widen one block and not the next), lack of police enforcement etc.

I believe if you raised taxes and supplied the public (and enforced it with advertisement) the improvements would make this hillbilly city into a real city and the tax payers would by into it. I know I would.

As well think of all the revenue you could collect if you cracked down on all the illegal suits, removed the stipulation of only one and make them all pay taxes for each additional suite.

Then maybe Hepner might be able to get Surrey out of debt (thanks to Watts) and get her LRT (not that I support it).

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsparrow View Post
What I don't understand about Surrey is why they continue to keep their taxes so low. They are one of the lowest in the lower mainland and you can tell by the crappy single lane roads, lack of sidewalks, unfinished streets (especially ones they where they widen one block and not the next), lack of police enforcement etc.
It has more to do with the fact that the majority of Surrey has very, very low density that does not warrant spending on larger roads or installing sidewalks.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebby View Post
It has more to do with the fact that the majority of Surrey has very, very low density that does not warrant spending on larger roads or installing sidewalks.
Obviously you haven't been there in the last couple decades.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 7:54 PM

Quote:
What I don't understand about Surrey is why they continue to keep their taxes so low.
Possibly because people have had a propensity to abhour taxes going back to Roman times, if not earlier?

Sometimes, other jurisdictions could use a bit of a wake-up call. Oh wait, we just did. It was the transit plebiscite.

EDIT: and Vancouver should know better than to throw stones regarding lack of finished streets without sidewalks. I'm astounded at the lack of streets in Vancouver in that very condition, even on the "tony" West Side.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 8:21 PM

Quote:
My experience is that generally speaking the city doesn't install sidewalks. They require the property developer to install sidewalks in front of properties where houses are constructed, and if the sidewalks require replacement then they levy the cost against the affected property owners. I think the only sidewalks that the city generally pays for are the corner curbs and those adjoining public property such as parks, etc.

At least I believe that's the way it works in Vancouver. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
My experience is that generally speaking the city doesn't install sidewalks. They require the property developer to install sidewalks in front of properties where houses are constructed, and if the sidewalks require replacement then they levy the cost against the affected property owners. I think the only sidewalks that the city generally pays for are the corner curbs and those adjoining public property such as parks, etc.

At least I believe that's the way it works in Vancouver. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...
I think it depends on the circumstance. 96th ave was recently widened all the way from 152nd to 176th. I highly doubt the property owners along that stretch payed for the sidewalks. However there are a lot of empty lots where the sidewalk ends at the property line like this: https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.15368.../data=!3m1!1e3
In a case like this it would be on the property owner to install the sidewalks while developing the property.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2015, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisai View Post
Kicking a dead horse but...

http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/2015/07/08...cary-expensive

The poll is about equal, note that it is an Opinion column.
I think the only reason people in Surrey want LRT is because it has been hyped and pitched as "attainable".

I think if Translink or the Province stepped in and said, "No, you are getting Skytrain and that's that", most people would be fine with that. You would only get a few hardcore light rail advocates and a lot of people who are just against any spending complain. Outside of LRT fans, most people who support LRT in Surrey just think it will result in the smallest bill possible, and don't actually care about the results/success of the line as they will never use transit ever.

Quote:

I believe if you raised taxes and supplied the public (and enforced it with advertisement) the improvements would make this hillbilly city into a real city and the tax payers would by into it. I know I would.

As well think of all the revenue you could collect if you cracked down on all the illegal suits, removed the stipulation of only one and make them all pay taxes for each additional suite.

Then maybe Hepner might be able to get Surrey out of debt (thanks to Watts) and get her LRT (not that I support it).
As a Surrey resident I support raising the taxes to finish roads and sidewalks. So many need it so badly.

I would also like to see a legalization of suites and a crackdown on unreported ones. Not only is it lost revenue, but the city hasn't planned for them, resulting in streets that are swamped with parked cars at night. And they can't plan for proper transit because they don't know how many people live where.

Quote:
I don't think this could be further from the truth. There is low density in parts, but there is also very high density in areas, and some of those areas have unfinished roads with no sidewalks.

The roads are from a legacy of low density, when they went through the empty countryside, connecting vast ranches. But as land has been subdivided and turned into townhouse and condo complexes, the roads between are left in their original horse trail state.

There will be a subdivision of hundreds of townhomes and Condos, then the sidewalk won't go through the next block to the major road where there is a bus line. There will be an area that was always industrial, that has had housing built up around, and new office/retail complexes built in it, and the streets are now a major corridor linking one side of Surrey to the other, but untouched from 30 years ago. like so:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.14818...7i13312!8i6656

And I love this:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.14818...7i13312!8i6656

In South Surrey at Morgan Heights, the roads in the area are horrendous, but more people live there per sqkm than in many parts of Vancouver or Burnaby.

I do find it a bit insane that Surrey would be tempted to go do and finance LRT on it's own, when it can't even find money and finish streets that are major arterials and have been needing upgrades for decades.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2015, 9:39 PM

Old Posted Jul 10, 2015, 11:59 PM
Transit User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPhil View Post

I do find it a bit insane that Surrey would be tempted to go do and finance LRT on it's own, when it can't even find money and finish streets that are major arterials and have been needing upgrades for decades.
Of course they will not finance LRT. Neither will Vancouver finance subway down Broadway. Talk is cheap...Remember when cities around Lower Mainland where talking tough about creating their own police force and refusing to sign off on the new RCMP contract? How many created a new local police force? Oh, yes - 0.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2015, 12:25 AM

I'm in Calgary right now and I've been using the LRT system here.

Trust me when I say we shouldn't copy it. Highly disappointed.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2015, 4:06 AM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post

A month ago I went to Seattle and Portland partially just to try out their LRT systems. I share your sentiment, it was much slower which really doesn't make up for the fact that you don't have to use stairs to use it. Seattle's wasn't as bad as Portland's, but honestly in Portland I'd sometimes forget I wasn't on a bus, it felt pretty much the same.

I'll be going to Edmonton and Calgary in late August to try their systems out too, as they're built differently (less urban and more commuter focused).

Old Posted Jul 11, 2015, 4:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post

I think Skytrain is a good system, but so is the Calgary LRT. I used it a fair bit when I visited. So they are both good systems in my mind and the question becomes what is best in what location. Skytrain is probably best for Fraser Hwy and 104th, but even BRT will be enough for King George for quite a while....that said if it is LRT or nothing for Surrey I don't think it will be a disaster.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2015, 5:09 AM

I find the skytrain system is highly underrated by the populous. We are spoiled in Metro Vancouver, period.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2015, 5:35 AM
See ya down under, mates

Everyone loves the skytrain but it doesn't go to a lot of neighbourhoods.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2015, 3:19 PM
(daka_x)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
Everyone loves the skytrain but it doesn't go to a lot of neighbourhoods.
The common misconception is that SkyTrain held us back from further expansion. In reality, SkyTrain has lead all Canadian cities in rapid transit expansion.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...inds-1.2756496

Old Posted Jul 11, 2015, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771 View Post
The common misconception is that SkyTrain held us back from further expansion. In reality, SkyTrain has lead all Canadian cities in rapid transit expansion.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...inds-1.2756496
It says only 19% live within 1 km of rapid transit. Are they talking about Metro Vancouver? or just city of Vancouver?

I made a quick, rough map showing where in the city would be within 1 km of skytrain. Really accentuates how a Hastings Line originating in the West End would add a lot of rapid transit coverage to the city.

I think once areas like Oakridge and others along Cambie are built out this number will go up significantly.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2015, 6:05 PM
(daka_x)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPELLY View Post
It says only 19% live within 1 km of rapid transit. Are they talking about Metro Vancouver? or just city of Vancouver?

I made a quick, rough map showing where in the city would be within 1 km of skytrain. Really accentuates how a Hastings Line originating in the West End would add a lot of rapid transit coverage to the city.

I think once areas like Oakridge and others along Cambie are built out this number will go up significantly.
They would be talking about Metro Vancouver, as the entire TransLink service area is being considered (unlike some of the other operators, I believe). I remember reading the full study and there were notes about this.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2015, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771 View Post
They would be talking about Metro Vancouver, as the entire TransLink service area is being considered (unlike some of the other operators, I believe). I remember reading the full study and there were notes about this.
If For Toronto and Montreal they covered the entire metro areas, I'm rather certain their numbers would drop to around 19% as well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure