HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Sep 24, 2022, 8:41 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPDX View Post
This is the triangle lot that fronts the park:

https://www.portlandmaps.com/detail/...A/4845951_did/
OH! Right... I completely forgot about the Holden of Pearl building. Having both of those lots fill in is going to make a huge difference at the north end of the Pearl. That's fantastic.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2022, 2:23 PM

Next up Centennial Mills site to really surround the Fields park. I wonder where that stands with the property sale.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 4:26 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPDX View Post
Next up Centennial Mills site to really surround the Fields park. I wonder where that stands with the property sale.
If the Mill comes down, it needs to be replaced with something architecturally iconic to replace it. This is one site that shouldn't be replaced with just a infill looking apartment building.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 3:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
If the Mill comes down, it needs to be replaced with something architecturally iconic to replace it. This is one site that shouldn't be replaced with just a infill looking apartment building.
And for god sakes let’s have it access the water with walkways and restaurants so we can finally enjoy the river from downtown Portland

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 5:25 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbinWarrick View Post
And for god sakes let’s have it access the water with walkways and restaurants so we can finally enjoy the river from downtown Portland
Almost all of the riverfront includes walkways.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 7:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Almost all of the riverfront includes walkways.
You know what I mean. Our waterfront for a major city is very lacking

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 10:50 PM
A before E

Quote:
You know what I mean. Our waterfront for a major city is very lacking
Not really, it's a big waterfront with lots of various amenities available to everyone. It has walkways, green spaces, large event spaces, a weekend market, residential housing, restaurants, shops, hotels, a public dock, bike paths, a beach, a museum, fountains, bike rentals, Cherry Blossom trees, and various art sculptures.

You can say you don't like the waterfront for whatever reasons, but to say it's lacking is ignoring everything that the waterfront has to offer.

And before you mention the Vancouver Waterfront, their waterfront is about the same size as the Portland Waterfront from the Hawthorne Bridge to the Marquam Bridge, and has a similar development size as the whole Riverplace area that is about to see a massive redevelopment.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 10:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Not really, it's a big waterfront with lots of various amenities available to everyone. It has walkways, green spaces, large event spaces, a weekend market, residential housing, restaurants, shops, hotels, a public dock, bike paths, a beach, a museum, fountains, bike rentals, Cherry Blossom trees, and various art sculptures.

You can say you don't like the waterfront for whatever reasons, but to say it's lacking is ignoring everything that the waterfront has to offer.

And before you mention the Vancouver Waterfront, their waterfront is about the same size as the Portland Waterfront from the Hawthorne Bridge to the Marquam Bridge, and has a similar development size as the whole Riverplace area that is about to see a massive redevelopment.

The Portland waterfront for a major river city has to be one of the lesser waterfronts in the country. Tom McCall Waterfront park is imo boring and bland. Just endless concrete and grass. No food carts, no playground, no fitness area, even a Ferris wheel, restaurants, no nothing.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 11:10 PM
A before E

Quote:
The Portland waterfront for a major river city has to be one of the lesser waterfronts in the country. Tom McCall Waterfront park is imo boring and bland. Just endless concrete and grass. No food carts, no playground, no fitness area, even a Ferris wheel, restaurants, no nothing.
I am gonna leave it at this, you can not like it for whatever reasons, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have a whole list of things that I listed to do including restaurants and food carts. Let's not pretend those things don't exist there.

As for a fitness center? That's an odd one. Not something I would think about needing at a waterfront. I mean, one can easily exercise at the waterfront. It is a popular destination for jogging, biking, and walking, plus plenty of open space for people to do yoga and stuff.

To each their own, I guess, as we can see here, not everyone is going to be happy with what the waterfront provides and that is okay because it would be impossible to make everyone happy.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Given the fact the waterfront park was one of the first major highway removal projects to take place in the USA, that has to be considered. There is a ferris wheel there for the rose fest is you're into it. Regardless, it's fine to not like the waterfront, but its not fair to the discussion to just dismiss facts to support your own take.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 2:28 PM

The Naito bike lines are also terribly designed. A small curb any normal car could easily jump it. As a driver turning onto it cars get confused because it APPEARS you need to turn onto the bike lane as their is poor signage and the opening is wide enough to allow a car to go through (as least by my office). My wife and I laugh hysterically at it. Confused cars = unsafe condition. THIS is what they did?

Why did it take 2 years to build something that already had a roadway below it? This is essentially my industry and it should have take 6 months tops seeing what was actually built. Why not make it a real barrier that looks good? Instead it looks half-arsed and unsafe. Awesome.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 4:17 PM

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 7:59 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxsg34 View Post
So random, I was just wondering about this block and what could potentially be built on it.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 4:31 PM

At 260' tall, it would definitely fit right in with that area. Not a bad looking conceptual drawing. I would love to see this.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncommon.name View Post
At 260' tall, it would definitely fit right in with that area. Not a bad looking conceptual drawing. I would love to see this.
I was driving over the Fremont the other day and thought the same thing. The Holden is taking it's place from that view and this one will compliment nicely. I am slightly sad this is the end of the Hoyt Street Properties Pearl District master plan. Who would have thought 20 years ago we would actually have buildings all the way down to the bridge.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 4:55 PM

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 5:23 PM

^

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 5:52 PM

Any idea what those two little blocks in the 12th Ave ROW might be? Outdoor dining?

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 7:23 PM
A before E

I have to say, I am really liking this building size and massing. It is really well thought out and fits in really well. I personally would love seeing a bunch of buildings this size all around Portland and the metro.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakz View Post
Any idea what those two little blocks in the 12th Ave ROW might be? Outdoor dining?
They are labeled as "housing" in the plan on page 21. They're not actually in the ROW; 12th Ave ends at Quimby as a city street, although there's a pedestrian walkway between Quimby and Raleigh. It doesn't really make any sense to extend the walkway north beyond Raleigh, but also placing detached structures so close to the Abigail seems a bit odd. I wonder how that will play out in terms of both building code and the Design Commission's review of the guidelines.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland