HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

View Poll Results: Which of the designs would you like to see become the new Lansdowne 'Front Lawn'?
Option A: "One Park, Four Landscapes" 12 11.88%
Option B: "Win Place Show" 23 22.77%
Option C: "A Force of Nature" 14 13.86%
Option D: "All Roads Lead to Aberdeen" 16 15.84%
Option E: "The Canal Park in Ottawa" 18 17.82%
None of the above. Please keep my ashphalt. 18 17.82%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 7:45 PM
Citizen-at-large

For those who, like me, are perversely interested in the gong show that is JE Martin's legal battle, check out the following summary of events since his case was dismissed as an abuse of process:

http://blogs.ottawacitizen.com/2012/...rtin-keeps-on/

I don't know where to begin to comment on the extent of the absurdity of the positions Martin puts forward. So I won't - read and judge for yourself.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 8:51 PM

This is one of the most surreal things I have seen in my life. Say what you will about the FoL, they at least admit that they lost their case before Judge Hackland. They disagree with his finding, but they admit it was a loss.

For John Martin to claim that the court has vindicated his case based on the wording in a dismissal for abuse of process is absolutely ridiculous. But I think we have seen that he chooses to ignore reality when it contradicts some idea he has constructed in his own mind.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB View Post
This is one of the most surreal things I have seen in my life. Say what you will about the FoL, they at least admit that they lost their case before Judge Hackland. They disagree with his finding, but they admit it was a loss.

For John Martin to claim that the court has vindicated his case based on the wording in a dismissal for abuse of process is absolutely ridiculous. But I think we have seen that he chooses to ignore reality when it contradicts some idea he has constructed in his own mind.
Perhaps next he'll start running up and down bank street proclaiming the benefits of tiger blood as the source of his 'WINNING!'...

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 12:38 PM

Sure enough...

Quote:
OTTAWA — A Glebe man seeking to stop the redevelopment of Lansdowne Park is seeking to go another round with the city in court, after his challenge to the plans was dismissed two weeks ago as an abuse of the judicial process.

John Martin says a scaled-back project he calls the Lansdowne Park Conservancy would be a better deal for taxpayers and should have the chance to compete with the proposal from the Ottawa Sports and Entertainment Group that the city has already provisionally accepted. A three-judge panel in Toronto rejected the case as improper, considering that the Ontario Court of Appeal is to rule sometime soon on the separate legal challenge of the Friends of Lansdowne, which covers mostly the same issues.

The OSEG proposal includes a major renovation of Frank Clair Stadium for a Canadian Football League team and several new commercial and residential buildings in the northern and western parts of the site at Bank Street and the Rideau Canal. Martin says the CFL team, which OSEG owns, would have to play at any stadium the city provided, so the group of developers and sports businessmen never had a unique proposal that justified the city’s accepting it without a competition.

According to a memo sent to city councillors by the city’s top lawyer Rick O’Connor Wednesday afternoon, the city has received paperwork from Martin saying he wants to appeal the dismissal of his case. The right to appeal isn’t automatic; Martin has to convince the Court of Appeal that his case is worth hearing, and O’Connor writes that there will probably be a hearing on that issue in early summer.

The argument hinges on the idea that the judges should have considered that Martin has a competing idea for what should be done with Lansdowne Park, while the Friends of Lansdowne’s case focuses on the process the city followed in accepting the OSEG offer.

“Legal Services will be opposing the application for leave and will be seeking further costs against Mr. Martin,” O’Connor’s memo says, beyond the $10,000 the last court ordered him to pay the city for its lawyers’ time.

dreevely@ottawacitizen.com

ottawacitizen.com/greaterottawa

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/...#ixzz1sUQaaj1v

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 4:10 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Good Lord, I almost feel bad for the guy.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 12:27 AM
Awesome!

I think he really wants the city to miss out on the big events. What a waste of time this guy is.
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 1:07 AM

So these jokers could keep appealing till the cows come home, and therefore prevent anything from happening at Lansdowne for years to come? If so, !?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 1:36 AM

If I understand correctly, JM had until yesterday to pay the city the $10 000 in legal fees he owes and I'm guessing this is a stall tactic from a man without $10 000.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 1:54 PM

Interesting, his most recent position was that his plan includes the Women's World Cup, which he called an important event for the city. At the time of his first hearing, he was still claiming that the city can run a 90 day RFP for a $150-million project, whip up a site plan and stadium, and be ready in two years in time for the tournament.

I wonder how he is reconciling that with his decision to appeal this decision, which he knows will take months. Will John Martin finally concede that ths is about stopping the development, and he has no real interest in ensuring that Ottawa doesn't lose this huge international event? The suspense is killing me.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post

The suspense is killing me.
Speaking of that, when is the word going to come out on the FoL case? I thought we were going to have a decision by the end of 2011 it's now almost May 2012, and i thought construction was slated to begin in June, what's going on?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 3:05 PM

Matty 14 asked

Quote:
Speaking of that, when is the word going to come out on the FoL case? I thought we were going to have a decision by the end of 2011 it's now almost May 2012, and i thought construction was slated to begin in June, what's going on?
What is going on is:

City May Have to Change Lansdowne Park Construction Schedule

Quote:
Stephanie Kinsella with Lauren Davis---CFRA
Thursday, April 19, 2012

The City is anxiously awaiting a Court of Appeal decision over the proposed redevelopment of Lansdowne Park, but even if a judge rules in favour of the municipality, that doesn't mean shovels will go into the ground right away.

"The Friends of Lansdowne have, as I understand it, 60 days to decide whether to ask for appeal to the Supreme Court," Mayor Jim Watson tells CFRA.

He adds the clock is ticking, and the City will probably have to change the construction schedule if a decision isn't made within a month.

Two months from today is June 20. If FOL. If Fol does go to the Supreme Court on June 20 the SC can take weeks or months to decide if they are even going to hear the case.

Canada Soccer has said it needs to see a completed stadium by Dec 31, 2013 in order to award Ottawa any of those FIFA womens soccer games.
If we don't get construction underway in June we will not likely meet that deadline.
So all FOL has to do is wait sixty days from the time the appeals court decides to release a judgement; file an appeal with the supreme Court on day sixty and the whole project is assured of another one year delay, maybe more.
If I were to make a bet today , I would bet that Ottawa will never see those FIFA tournaments

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 3:25 PM

Nothing like broken policy measures and NIMBYism working in synthesis to paralyze city building and economic development.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 6:26 PM

Dec 31st 2013 eh?

I think we can call it; we are not going to see any of the FIFA events in Ottawa.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 11:21 PM

Sad to say, but I think we've been "saved" from the horror of hosting FIFA by a militant special interest group acting on "everyone's" behalf.

One day soon there will be studies, papers and books written on the Lansdowne/FOL/JE Martin saga; how a group of angry, aging ex-hippies held a city and a democratic decision hostage for so long by using/abusing everything law they could find.

This will go into the first book of the NIMBY Saga.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 12:46 AM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Dec 31st 2013 eh?

I think we can call it; we are not going to see any of the FIFA events in Ottawa.
Which is a damn shame.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 5:41 PM

While I do share the concern on this, we may not be licked yet for the FIFA events. The CSA wants to use 6 stadia, and there are only 6 cities that are bidding to host games in the tournaments. (Halifax has recently pulled out, since they are even further from having a stadium ready than we are) So if they can get the stadium to a point where they are in good shape by the December 31, 2013 deadline, the CSA and FIFA may give an extension or simply accept the bid.

But I agree that these nuisance lawsuits and appeals are putting the city in a bind. And not "saving the taxpayers money" in the least.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 8:36 PM

Quote:
But I agree that these nuisance lawsuits and appeals are putting the city in a bind. And not "saving the taxpayers money" in the least.
That's why the city needs to make an example of this guy. Hit him hard in the pocketbook so others like him will think twice about obstructing developments they don't like.

The crusade against Lansdowne encapsulates everything that's wrong with Ottawa NIMBYism - anti-development hysteria fuelled by delusion, self-interest and false nostalgia.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 2:33 AM

Quote:
(Halifax has recently pulled out, since they are even further from having a stadium ready than we are)
Wow, a city that rivals Ottawa for its lack of action. Remember when they droped out of the 2014 Commonwealth games after winning the bid in 2008?

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 2:46 AM

Halifax has twice the amount of NIMBYs than Ottawa does

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 2:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post
Halifax has twice the amount of NIMBYs than Ottawa does
Stats, please??

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa