HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

5 Allen Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Houston Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Houston Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 12:14 AM

not sure if it's been mentioned... but in that last render it really resembles 7wtc!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2010, 7:52 AM
Oh yeah!

Any news on this project?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 7:49 PM
FYHA

Per Biznow, perhaps an nod to this building being the one that's ultimately announced?

http://www.bisnow.com/real-estate-ho...eal-sheet-427/

Quote:
We also snapped Cresa Houston’s Sue Rogers and Brookfield’s Paul Frazier. Paul says there will be an office building announced Downtown this year, but it will need to be 50% preleased. His firm has a 2.5-acre site where it’s planning on building a 900k SF to 1.1M SF building. It needs rents around $31/SF net, but existing buildings are leasing around that level; he expects the rate to trickle to preleasing soon because of the lack of big blocks available.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2012, 5:50 AM
FYHA

In addition to the renderings previously posted - HAIF user lockmat found this one, among others previously seen, an a personal design portfolio website. At the very least, a leasing brochure exists for prospective tenant...

http://www.jacobwandersee.com/wp-con...FW-506x675.jpg

Old Posted Dec 28, 2012, 3:24 PM
Chairman

Brookfield Office Properties has been marketing 5 Allen Center:
http://www.brookfieldofficepropertie...nter-8784.html

-sb

Old Posted Dec 28, 2012, 4:06 PM
Website Manager

Good to hear this one's still alive!

Old Posted Dec 28, 2012, 8:39 PM
Meh

If this gets built it'll be the tallest building to be built in Texas in at least 25 years. The last 700 footer to be built in Texas was actually three of them in 1987 with two in Dallas and one in Houston.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2012, 12:44 AM

is it approved yet

Old Posted Jan 17, 2013, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeelee View Post
This is very good news. I hope they can pull this one off. Perhaps something with a spire? Or some kind of crown...

I have my fingers crossed for this tower.
Yes. Houston has long needed a tall with a spire. An actual, true spire, not just a tall communications antennae. It's the one thing that is sorely missing from the skyline. I know that won't happen with this particular project, but I really hope it happens soon.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2013, 6:45 AM

This one has a lot of competition. Brookfield is pitching this at the same time they are pitching a smaller tower to be built over the Allen Center Garage which houses the Metropolitan Racket Club on the roof.

Meanwhile, Hines (recently completed the BG Group 46 story tower on Main St) is marketing a new tower on the empty lot on the corner of Main and Texas St.

Skanska is floating the idea of tearing down the Houston Club Bldg. for a proposed office tower of unknown size (but I imagine it would have to be large in order to be cost effective to demolish a structure).

There's also some speculation that a developer is pitching a mixed use (with some office space) tower on the South block of Market Square.

And now, there are rumors of Chevron building a new tower to add to their growing downtown campus (the old Enron Bldgs). Chevron already owns the lot where the old YMCA used to stand. Latest I heard was the tower would be 50+ stories tall.

It is likely that only 1 or 2 of these will make it out of the ground. My $$$ is on Chevron (they just announced 800 workers coming to downtown from their San Pablo, CA Hdqts.) first and then possibly Hines (proven track record) or Skanska (deep pockets that can do their own financing).

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 5:17 AM

Is there any word on what is the future of this building? Or any of the buildings in the above post?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2013, 6:39 PM

Finally some news on this one..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisnow
Downtown has a serious pull: It's what got Brookfield local head Paul Frazier into real estate. He worked as mail clerk at Vinson & Elkins the summer before he entered college—intending to become a lawyer like his father—and as he walked the area delivering packages, he was fascinated by the construction boom under way.

Now Paul manages 8.4M SF in the submarket—it's a mailbags to riches story. After graduating from Baylor in 1981, Paul joined The Office Network (an affiliation of companies started by The Horne Co) as a marketer. Two years later, he moved to The Horne Co as an office leasing rep, which has remained his focus. He tells us his two all-time favorite deals were Chevron's lease in 1400 Smith in '06 (it was the largest transaction in the country at the time) and KBR's renewal and expansion Downtown in 2010. The latter was particularly meaningful because KBR planned to build a West Houston campus and his team convinced it to stay Downtown, a major coup for both Brookfield and the submarket.

On his professional bucket list: redeveloping Allen Center and developing Five Allen Center. (That's better than our bucket list which is just: "Meet Cher.") Paul tells us he's never done a significant repositioning of an existing property, so he's looking forward to that process. (Look for more info in a few months.) And Five Allen Center isn't far off; Brookfield plans to build the 1.1M SF 50-story skyscraper on a site it owns. It won't go spec, but based on today's market, Paul imagines he could negotiate a pre-lease in the next year or so and be in the ground in a few years.

Article: http://www.bisnow.com/commercial-rea...-paul-frazier/

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 5:23 PM

That suggests this building will get started about the same time as Chevron's new building.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 5:40 AM

Five Allen Center Scaled down to 40 Floors:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston Business Journal
“I think you will see us develop our plans a little further for what we are calling, for now, 5 Allen Center,” he said. “It’s on two and a half acres on the western perimeter of downtown. We are contemplating there a 40-story tower with maybe as much as a million square feet.”
http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/b...eld-makes.html

Last edited by Urbannizer; Sep 2, 2013 at 11:50 AM.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2013, 4:06 PM

Five more floors cut from Five Allen Center, according to this report:

http://www.avisonyoung.com/sites/def...t%20Update.pdf

Old Posted Oct 21, 2013, 7:47 PM

This is beginning to sound more and more like the odd man out.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 5:21 AM

New Design

Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 9:27 PM

The incredible shrinking building.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxteth o'grady View Post
The incredible shrinking building.
Its 35 floors now and I think that it is a good idea that it shrunk. Its has a better and won't look as out of place as it did before due to the height.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerSpotter View Post
Its 35 floors now and I think that it is a good idea that it shrunk. Its has a better and won't look as out of place as it did before due to the height.
On that new render, it looks like 20-25 floors...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive