HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 4:29 PM

I don't think that very many people are drinking beer because it's cheaper than a Martini or whatever else they mentioned. People drink beer because A, it's the new fad (craft beer anyway). B, it tastes good, and C, you can drink a decent amount of it without getting smashed. Money doesn't seem to be much of an issue in this city right now.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 5:57 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcanuck View Post
So, any shops in downtown using a Clover? Or something other than the typical drip?
You'll find the Clover at Caffe Artigiano (in Centrium), Kawa Espresso Bar, and the Marda Loop location of Phil & Sebastian. At both locations of Chiasso they have both traditional brewed (in Fetco pots) but also by-the-cup vacuum brewing, only place in Calgary that does this. They do pourover by the cup at Diventa Coffee (12 and 12 SW) but just one bean per day. Insomnia serves brewed coffee but it's all made, every batch, using big press pots that are then poured into vac pots (Java Jamboree in Cochrane uses this approach too). If you want to head to Chinook Centre, P&S there don't have a clover but they do by the cup pourover and chemex pots too. Even further from dt is Fratello's Analog Cafe which has a four-bean pourover bar using ceramic Hario cones.

So lots of places do interesting non-espresso things.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
You'll find the Clover at Caffe Artigiano (in Centrium), Kawa Espresso Bar, and the Marda Loop location of Phil & Sebastian. At both locations of Chiasso they have both traditional brewed (in Fetco pots) but also by-the-cup vacuum brewing, only place in Calgary that does this. They do pourover by the cup at Diventa Coffee (12 and 12 SW) but just one bean per day. Insomnia serves brewed coffee but it's all made, every batch, using big press pots that are then poured into vac pots (Java Jamboree in Cochrane uses this approach too). If you want to head to Chinook Centre, P&S there don't have a clover but they do by the cup pourover and chemex pots too. Even further from dt is Fratello's Analog Cafe which has a four-bean pourover bar using ceramic Hario cones.

Thanks - Chiasso and Artigiano are within walking distance of my office so I'll hit them up for a morning indulgence.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 6:48 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:

You know so much about coffee my head a'splode. Makes me want to try out different things at all these places (I live right by Kawa and Chiasso and work by Insomnia, so I will try these out)

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 8:08 PM

What's a clover?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
What's a clover?
Link

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 4:30 PM
effete latte-lifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcanuck View Post
So, any shops in downtown using a Clover? Or something other than the typical drip?
The Artigiano on 6th ave and 3rd street has had a clover since the beginning. Kawa on 8th street SW (technically not downtown, but close enough) also has a clover. Chaisso on 2nd Street and 4th Ave SW have a siphon (vacuum) bar. Cafe Rosso in the Convention Centre on Stephen does pour-over with the Hario equipment. That is not an exhaustive answer to your question.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2012, 5:28 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Anyone know of any mid-east restuarants in Calgary which have belly dancing? (a belly dancing friend is in town and is interested if there is such a scene here).

Old Posted Feb 5, 2012, 5:13 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
Anyone know of any mid-east restuarants in Calgary which have belly dancing? (a belly dancing friend is in town and is interested if there is such a scene here).
None that I'm aware of, thank God. If you google "Calgary belly dance" you find mostly classes/instructors. Call one and ask about the scene.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2012, 5:25 PM
not a NIMBY

I used to know a woman who did the belly dancing circuit of Greek restaurants on weekends. I don't know if shisha bars have that. No dancing that I know of at the Casbah or Sultan's Tent.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2012, 11:02 PM
of Canada

My sister in law in Vancouver gave my two bags of coffee beans from 49th Parallel Roasters in Vancouver for Christmas. I've just started the second one and both are very good. I couldn't say what the details are any more since the packaging is long gone but I'm pretty sure they were from Costa Rica.

The coffee is direct trade and roasted quite similar to the way P&S does it. Being a P&S fan I feel bad saying there is something out there that's just as good but since they're 600 miles away, I guess that's okay. I know a decent place to go in Vancouver when I'm there.
All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us? NOTHING!

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 12:57 AM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWin View Post
My sister in law in Vancouver gave my two bags of coffee beans from 49th Parallel Roasters in Vancouver for Christmas. I've just started the second one and both are very good. I couldn't say what the details are any more since the packaging is long gone but I'm pretty sure they were from Costa Rica.

The coffee is direct trade and roasted quite similar to the way P&S does it. Being a P&S fan I feel bad saying there is something out there that's just as good but since they're 600 miles away, I guess that's okay. I know a decent place to go in Vancouver when I'm there.
I'm sure 49th beans are widely available in Calgary.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
I had lunch at Cravings today which is kind of an odd place in a strange location, but very popular.
The deal with Cravings is you get a swipe card, order food from different stations, and then pay what is on the card on the way out. I believe Sunterra Marche in Transcanada has a similar set-up.
I wanted to start with a salad, but the workers at the salad station were determined to ignore me. I felt like an idiot standing there with my card hoping for service. No one acknowledged my presence or said they would be right with me. It seemed they weren't really doing anything but avoiding me/us.
Other people came and waited and left and so we left and went to the grill station. It seemed we were invisible for a few minutes there too but finally a human took our order.
We shared calamari, and vegetable gyozas to start.
The calamari was good. I love it when it is good and hate it when it is rubber so I'm always leery of ordering it.
The gyoza were very good, they looked like they were handmade dumplings.
We both had the fish tacos which were ok, but nothing compared to fish tacos I have had in Orange County.
The 2 tacos came with a side of really good caesar salad from those hardworking salad girls.
They have a coffee station where they serve Starbucks, and the desserts looked really tempting but we didn't try any of them.
The nightly dinner specials sound good and if I lived near there I would do take-out on a regular basis.
I'm craving one of their lobster roll sandwiches now...
I go there from time to time for lunch, and usually have either the Lobster Roll or the Cobb Salad. I think there is some sort of Soup Nazi routine when it comes to the salad station, if you don't enter through the "corral" they tend to ignore you for inexplicable reasons. Anyway, the food there is usually not bad, but, sadly, they seem to carry the sandwich stock overnight sometimes and I've had the Lobster Roll on a dried out bun a couple of times.

It's not the only odd restaurant in an odd place in that neighbourhood. There is a "Bar and Grill" in the fitness club around the corner from Cravings. Maybe you're thinking they're serving salads and protein smoothies? Nope, it's pub food and cheap beer. I can't decide whether it's the most ill thought out concept ever or is just pure, diabolical genius: National Sport Development Bar & Grill.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 3:25 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
I'm sure 49th beans are widely available in Calgary.
Not as much as you might think- since Artigiano and Bumpy's dropped them, the only places that serve it AFAIK are Kawa and Java Jamboree. 49th has been really uneven lately- I hate to say it but I don't buy it anymore. I pretty much rotate among P&S, Fratello, Intelligentsia and Origins (from Chiasso).

RWin, when I die I wish to be buried with, and in, Costa Rican coffee. They are almost always magnificent. my favourite beans on earth.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 3:54 AM
not a NIMBY

have you ever thought of tracing your beans to the source? That could be a really fun educational adventure!

I saw that Crush on 12th ave has become a pub called the Pig and Duke, but I will probably get the name mixed up and called it the Dig and Puke!

In that same area, I was at Ruan Thai for the lunch buffet the other day. I haven't been there for dinner in a couple of years and I have never had their lunch time buffet before and I wasn't disappointed.
I could eat there 8 days a week.

Last edited by Jimby; Feb 6, 2012 at 5:51 AM.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 6:09 AM
of Canada

Quote:
49th has been really uneven lately- I hate to say it but I don't buy it anymore. I pretty much rotate among P&S, Fratello, Intelligentsia and Origins (from Chiasso).

RWin, when I die I wish to be buried with, and in, Costa Rican coffee. They are almost always magnificent. my favourite beans on earth.
Hmmm, maybe the fact that they are Costa Rican beans saved them then. I checked their web site and it doesn't seem to be available at the moment.

So back to P&S again. Not that I was going to be away for long. I'm glad to see they have a downtown location now although its a little small. But they do make what I particularly like at that location.
All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us? NOTHING!

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 5:40 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

The cafe at Holt was only supposed to be open through the Xmas season- now they'll be around through April. we'll see if it becomes permanent.

New cafe in Inglewood will be pulling P&S- Cafe Gravity in the Art Block. Look for page on facebook.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 6:41 PM

I had dinner at the Market Bar in Sunterra the other day before going to the Dome, and it was just awful. I had a Bison Burger and it was totally overcooked and stale, I think they cooked it at lunch then left it under a heat lamp for 4 or 5 hours. My friend ordered a plate of dry ribs, and same thing, overcooked and stale. Sunterra disappoints me more every time I get food there.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 7:36 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
have you ever thought of tracing your beans to the source? That could be a really fun educational adventure!

I saw that Crush on 12th ave has become a pub called the Pig and Duke, but I will probably get the name mixed up and called it the Dig and Puke!

In that same area, I was at Ruan Thai for the lunch buffet the other day. I haven't been there for dinner in a couple of years and I have never had their lunch time buffet before and I wasn't disappointed.
I could eat there 8 days a week.
That's interesting about Crush. It was always one of my favourite spots. Wonder if the new place is the same ownership group (Fergus & Bix) or if they sold off.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 4:06 AM
Hare Expert

So I've been wondering for a while, why aren't there any McDonalds in the food courts at malls in Calgary? When I got to Toronto I was surprised to see one at pretty well every mall I've been to. I can't think of one place in Calgary. (Closest is Westbrook with the Wal-Mart McDonalds)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation