HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Québec > Montréal

Old Posted Jan 13, 2012, 3:10 PM
Look at me!

I know what you mean mr. john. I've actually met people in the ROC who thought that Calgary was the second largest city in Canada. I've met people in vancouver who think they have the most and the tallest buildings in the country. I've met a family (nice people actually) from out west who came back from Montreal all frustrated because they expected to see a miniature version of Paris, instead they got Montreal...

My opinion is that Montreal is misunderstood, underrated, or plainly ignored by half the people in this country, our fellow Quebecois included.

Last edited by Rico Rommheim; Jan 15, 2012 at 8:14 AM.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2012, 3:18 PM
MTL♥

I was just talking about this in the Canada skyline thread lolll how Montreal is underrated and all...we have soo much history here and for me being from this amazing city makes me proud! I love iT.......street level montreal kills period! I don't care what anyone else says that's my experience !
In the near future mtl will have more buildings and it's just gonna keep growing
Peace

Old Posted Jan 13, 2012, 6:50 PM
The Vomit Bag.

malekurb? Non, merci.

When I was a teenager, it was all about height (often masquerading as inferiority about dick size).

Years later, after travelling the world, I care very little for height. Gimme Paris over Frankfurt any day. I'll take Shubuya over Shinjuku West. Brugge over Atlanta. Rue Sainte Catherines over Rene-Levesque. Urban fucking fabric beats the shit out of tall boxes.

And yeah, while Canada has some great cities (Montreal the leading one here), it has no truly world class cities along the likes of NYC, Paris, London, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Seoul, and Shanghai.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2012, 11:10 PM

I agree with all of the above! Je reviens juste d'un voyage à Boston. C'est la deuxième fois que j'y allais, première fois que j'y fesais de l'exploration urbaine. Un seul mot: magnifique! Je dois vous dire que les gratte-ciels auraient pû ne pas être là et ça l'aurait rien changer. La densité et la beauté des quartiers aux abords du centre-ville battent n'importe quoi au Canada à l'extérieur de Montréal.

Quand je lis qu'une tour va boucher un trou dans le skyline d'Edmonton, alors qu'elle ressemble à ça, it makes my head spin!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 2:09 AM
The Vomit Bag.

^wow, I love those surface parking lots! beautiful!

Old Posted Jan 16, 2012, 8:53 PM
Look at me!

Yeah they seem to have as many as we do!

Old Posted Jan 16, 2012, 9:04 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^doesn't hold a candle to gorgeous Laval. Oh, that clock tower condo and reno-depot....Laval is for lovers.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2012, 9:18 PM
Look at me!

How dare you, you waste island anti-Marois "I-only-speak-English-the-language-of-the-invaders" anglo!!!111 Laval has the lowest taxes in all of Greater Montreal! We also have lots of cars and a 3 metro stations! lolololo Why don't you go back to your communist plateau and stop whining about the altruistic parking lots!! You anglo!

Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 12:07 AM
The good old days are now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
How dare you, you waste island anti-Marois "I-only-speak-English-the-language-of-the-invaders" anglo!!!111 Laval has the lowest taxes in all of Greater Montreal! We also have lots of cars and a 3 metro stations! lolololo Why don't you go back to your communist plateau and stop whining about the altruistic parking lots!! You anglo!
I haven't heard the term "Waste Island" in a while.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 3:47 AM
The Vomit Bag.

^obviously you need to take a trip back to mtl.urb. I am sure Malek can oblige a waste island remark or ten.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 5:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
good!

Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 5:51 PM

I can't resist... I noticed watching the weather channel that's its -30c today in the hillbilly capital of NA America CALGARY, I'm sure they're all wearing their cowboy hats to protect themselves from the blazing heat,oh and its only a matter of time before they overtake Montreal's population of 3.4 million (maybe 2or3 centuries)..delusional oily hicks

Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 6:32 PM
Look at me!

I'm sorry Mr. John, but I've seen more hicks in my lifetime in Montreal than I care to count. French, English and other-language speaking hicks, I've seen it all.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 6:52 PM

Gimme a break we're talking about a city who's major cultural event is a fucking rodeo,an event by the way started by an American entrepreneur to celebrate the fictitious old American west.... talk about Texian wannabes. I'd like to see what that province looks like in 50 years after they're finiished turning it into a toxic dump, it's all about $$$$$$

Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 8:34 PM
The good old days are now

^ Why don't you have the guts to write that in the Canada forum? You sound like some enraged separatist from mtlurb. And Rico is right, Montreal has a TON of white trash. We like to pretend that they don't exist but that doesn't change the fact they are here. Open your eyes.

Last edited by MTLskyline; Jan 17, 2012 at 9:09 PM.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 9:48 PM

Je sais même pas pourquoi vous perdez du temps à comparer Montréal et Calgary Comme si vous pensiez que ce qui se passe là bas enlève quelque chose à Montréal. Les villes de ce genre n'atteindront jamais la moitié de la qualité urbaine d'une ville comme Montréal. Laissez donc les ''Billies des Collines'' dire ce qu'ils veulent; on est au dessus de tout ça

Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 3:12 PM
MTL♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.John View Post
I can't resist... I noticed watching the weather channel that's its -30c today in the hillbilly capital of NA America CALGARY, I'm sure they're all wearing their cowboy hats to protect themselves from the blazing heat,oh and its only a matter of time before they overtake Montreal's population of 3.4 million (maybe 2or3 centuries)..delusional oily hicks
Ummmm 3.9 million thank you...4 million very soon ..I'm sure they have more horses than us tho lol

Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 10:52 PM
Look at me!

Pretty sure we're at 4 000 000 now.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2012, 5:35 PM

Canada may not have world class cities, but Montreal were it at least twice as big could have been pretty damn close. It would not reach the level of Paris, but probably Moscow. This city has the density, the history, the architecture and the character that defines a fine city. Montreal is a real urban experience unlike many cities in this country. Ottawa may have a good looking core and a nice setting, but save for 2 or 3 streets I just couldn't feel the urbanity in this city. The bland and boring suburbs are right around the corner when you're downtown plus the neighbourhoods with an almost non-existent history and density make for the lack of character for those cities of a million in this country. I could live in a small town or in a city of 3M and up, but anything in between is a bland urban experience IMO. (except some of the old cities out East and on the Pacific coast given the exceptional setting)

Old Posted Jan 26, 2012, 6:09 PM

Prime downtown Montreal parking lot fetches $14 million

MONTREAL - A parking lot across from the Bell Centre has fetched one of downtown Montreal’s highest prices for land in the last five years, reflecting continued demand for sites in prime locations with sky-high zoning potential.

The 31,822-square-foot site on Ave. des Canadiens, between de la Montagne and Drummond Sts., sold for $14.1 million last week, real estate services firm CBRE Ltd. said.

Per square foot, it’s more than what most Montrealers would pay these days for a mid-priced condo.

The land was sold by Modico Canada Ltd. and Stationnement Modico Inc. to a Montreal developer backed by a Toronto equity partner.

The land fetched a high price because it could be used for anything from a 40-storey condo tower to a hotel to a giant bar where Habs fans could congregate after a game.

“It’s a site that can support any use,” said Brett Miller, CBRE’s executive vice-president and regional managing director for eastern Canada.

And just as Montreal-area condo starts and resales both hit record high levels in 2011, so have sales of the land used mostly in the construction of new residential towers. In the Greater Montreal Area, the sales volume of high density land, located mostly in the downtown core, rose to almost $161 million in 2011, from just over $152 million in 2010, CBRE figures show.

Miller said deals like the Modico lot transaction, which follow detailed market studies, prove that development is still strong in the Montreal area, despite remarks from some analysts and builders who say they are expecting softer sales in 2012 compared to previous years.

“It shows that among people in the know ... there’s the conviction that the market has strength.”

This week, the Quebec Federation of Real Estate Boards forecast a two per cent rise in provincial housing sales, along with price increases slightly above inflation.

According to the Teranet-National Bank house price index released Wednesday, Canadian house prices dropped 0.2 per cent in November 2011 for the first time in nearly a year.

The national composite index, which tracks registered prices of homes sold at least twice, shows prices rose .4 per cent in Montreal, but fell in eight of the 11 metropolitan markets tracked – one more than in October.

The Financial Post contributed to this story.

alampert@montrealgazette.com

twitter.com/RealDealMtl

© Copyright (c) The Montreal Gazette

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Québec > Montréal