HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jun 10, 2009, 11:18 AM

Regency on Main | ?m | 26 & 12 fl | Completed 2017

Can anyone recall or know of the latest plans for this bldg?
It seems like such an easy conversion for condos or a hotel.
I stayed in a refurbished bank in Cleveland (now the Holiday Inn Express) and it was so cool with the large room and high ceilings. i would definately stay there again new but historical.
Strange Mr. Stinson or someone else doesn't do something with this place like they did with the old Bell Canada Condos on nearby Bay/Main beside City hall?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2009, 11:31 AM

You know -

I love how mattresses are piled to the ceiling inside (probably for Staybridge!) and that the city allows parking on the former HMP site. I mean, isn't there a moratorium?

Hopefully that building is AT LEAST heated to keep its integrity.

This site is especially important given its context in the downtown. It is the first major structure you see coming up Main Street after Queen. The parking lot across from the Indian Buffet and then the abandoned building would drastically change the perception coming into the downtown.

I think.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2009, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrwatson View Post
You know -

I love how mattresses are piled to the ceiling inside (probably for Staybridge!) and that the city allows parking on the former HMP site. I mean, isn't there a moratorium?

Hopefully that building is AT LEAST heated to keep its integrity.

This site is especially important given its context in the downtown. It is the first major structure you see coming up Main Street after Queen. The parking lot across from the Indian Buffet and then the abandoned building would drastically change the perception coming into the downtown.

I think.
It's my understanding the city has issued a fine for parking on the HMP site, but really that is just a cost of doing business. Issuing fines is really the city's only recourse on this matter. Not to worry soon a new Hilton will be started on the site.

The buildings utilities are most likely disconnected, see the bylaw below.

Quote:
Where a building remains vacant for a period of more than ninety (90)
days, the owner shall ensure that all utilities serving the building, which
are not required for the safety or security thereof, are properly
disconnected or otherwise secured, to prevent accidental or malicious
damage to the building or adjacent property.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2009, 5:08 PM
Hammer'd

The building is not heated and the hydro is either disconnected or not circulated through the building. I remember it was working way back in 2006 or so though. The elevators were still in working condition at that point as well.

At this point the building is just storage.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jun 10, 2009, 9:13 PM

Interestingly though, for all historic buildings, heating is a requirement. Actually, when I worked at the Ontario Trust, if an owner refused to heat a property, there were severe consequences.

I'd imagine the Federal building is not on the City's Inventory of Historic properties, or at least definitely not designated (not that this means anything).

The city has a lot more leverage then just fining for parking - its called Property Standards - I wish Hamilton would utilize this ByLaw (other city's actually model after it)

Old Posted Jun 10, 2009, 11:33 AM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Doesn't that builing have a gaping hole in the back of it? Wouldn't that prevent the neglectful owner from bothering to heat it?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2009, 11:39 AM

the area near Hess

I thought I heard that vacant lot between Hess and Caroline is going to be a commercial development with a Shoppers etc etc.. i think it was just sold, that is why the neglect with the Trillium trailer.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2009, 4:41 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

The City issues a fine??? wow. that's heavy handed... how much is the fine? $250... pathetic.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2009, 2:59 PM

Building owner fined for fire code violations
Rick Zamperin 900 CHML
10/8/2009

The owner of a vacant office building in downtown Hamilton has pleaded guilty to a number of fire code violations.

Darko Vranich faces fines of just over 10-thousand dollars after converting the former federal government office building at 150 Main Street West to a warehouse storage facility.

Fire officials say changing the use from an office building to a warehouse increased the combustible loading in the building, creating a higher fire risk than what the original building was designed for.

An Inspector says the building's hose and sprinkler system was also shut down and were in-operative.

The fines come during Fire Prevention Week, a week in which fire officials stress the importance of fire safety in our daily lives.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2009, 3:16 PM

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Building Owner Fined and Placed on Probation for
Ontario Fire Code Offences

HAMILTON, ON – October 8, 2009 – On Tuesday October 6, 2009, a registered company, 150 Main West Holdings and its Director, Darko Vranich, pled guilty in Provincial Offences court to a number of violations of the Ontario Fire Code for a property located at 150 Main Street West in Hamilton.

This building is a six storey vacant office building formerly occupied as a Federal Government office building. The owner has changed the use to that of a warehouse storage facility. Change of use in building occupancies require building owners to obtain a building permit and comply with applicable legislation which can vary depending on the actual use of the building. In this case, changing the use from an office building to a warehouse storage facility increased the combustible loading in the building, creating a higher fire risk than what the original building was designed for.

An Inspector from Hamilton Emergency Services attended at this property and found there to be a large amount of combustible materials including mattresses and wooden furniture being stored in the basement and first floor level. In addition to this, the buildings standpipe and hose system as well as the sprinkler system had been shut down and were in-operative. Inspection orders were served and follow up re-inspections revealed the non-compliance and as a result charges were subsequently laid.

A conviction was registered against 150 Main West Holdings and the company was fined $2,500 per count for a total of $7,500. In addition, Darko Vranich was fined $1,000 per count for a total of $3,000 in fines. Mr. Vranich has also been placed on probation for a period of 6 months with the specific conditions to restore the standpipe and sprinkler systems and remove the combustibles, all to the satisfaction of the Chief Fire Prevention Officer. Failure to comply with the probation order will result in further charges.

This court appearance and subsequent conviction occurs during Fire Prevention Week, a week in which fire officials stress the importance of fire safety in our daily lives. Although this particular building is a vacant property and being used for storage purposes, compliance with these requirements is important for the safety of firefighters who may be called upon to respond. Standpipe and hose systems along with sprinklers are essential for firefighting purposes in all larger commercial buildings.
-30-

For more information, please contact
Jim Winn
Chief Fire Prevention Officer
Fire Prevention Division
Hamilton Emergency Services – Fire
Phone: 905.546.2424 ext. 7761
Cell: 905.961.9108

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 11:21 AM

So that's why he painted the windows, good corporate citizen that he is. Fire code violations out of site, out of mind.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 8:39 PM

cost of doing bidness

Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 1:46 PM

With a $10,000 fine he's still saving money over renting equivalent space in storage units for the same period of time. This fine is a good deal for him.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 1:57 PM
It's Hammer Time

I believe the storage is from his hotel operations in the GTA and elsewhere, mattresses and furniture.

If he fails to comply within 6 months the City could take over the building from the court.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 3:39 PM

^ ya like the city has the guts to do that

Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 7:30 PM
Concerned Citizen

I can see another parking lot in the near future in downtown Hamilton.

Anyone want to start a poll to predict how long it will be before Vranich applies for a demolition permit.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2009, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy1231 View Post
I can see another parking lot in the near future in downtown Hamilton.

Anyone want to start a poll to predict how long it will be before Vranich applies for a demolition permit.
6 months

Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 10:35 PM
It's Hammer Time

I doubt that. Probably cost more to demolish the building than to renovate it. It's big enough that you'd probably need dynamite to demolish the building.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2009, 2:56 PM

or it'll be in the next round of public housing funds

Old Posted Oct 12, 2009, 4:52 AM
Needs more coffee...

This is one of the big "statement" buildings every single person driving into downtown or on a bus going dowtown from the west end sees. Even ones like the Connaught aren't as front-and-centre. I hope somebody with some vision can snap this one up and make it spectacular.

we won't get MEC, but what about condos and a Trader Joe's? (or heck, a Sobeys..)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton