HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 2:30 AM

Why not JetBlue? They don't fly anywhere around here... seems like they might be a good fit.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 12:12 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp7123 View Post
Why not JetBlue? They don't fly anywhere around here... seems like they might be a good fit.
While JetBlue would be a great addition I don't see it happening. They quit serving Nashville years ago and most likely their routes would be to New York.
Now what would be ausome is if Jet Blue or Frontier would make Huntsville a mini hub for their southern operations. Won't happen either, with fewer airlines now and high fuel costs, Huntsville and many other cities have fewer options and are fighting over the same piece of pie.
Southwest screwed up by not picking up HSV. With the right routes and schedule it would probably do better than it's Birmingham routes. Huntsville International serves 18 counties and had over 1.2 million passengers, someone will come in and fill the demand.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 3:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVTiger View Post
That restaurant went out of business due to poor service, poor management, so so food, and crazy high prices.
Huntsville is not over saturated, have you been over Chapman mountain where
70,000 plus people live?
70,000 plus people do NOT live over Chapman Mountain. Huntsville and Madison put together have 220,000 people. You're telling me that of this county's 335,000 people, over half of the remaining balance lives "over Chapman Mountain"? Come on, at most there's probably 35,000 living in the northeastern part of the county, with probably another 60,000 in the northwestern part and 20,000 in the southeastern part (keep in mind most of Hampton Cove and those new areas west of 431 are part of Huntsville and were part of it before the 2010 Census).

If anything, northeastern Madison County is underserved by retail and restaurants because most of the rest of the county, particularly west Huntsville, Madison, and the immediate area, is overserved by retail. How many Wal-Marts, Targets, and Logan's/Texas Roadhouses do we need on 72 West? And Bridge Street simply cannibalized off of Madison Square: that mall's days are numbered. What about all those other strip malls along University east of Research Park Blvd that have seen better days?

The number of restaurants in this town with $10+ meals that cater to upper-middle class engineers and other high-skilled creative-class members has probably doubled in the last 5 years. And half of them aren't terribly busy, even during lunch and dinner hours. I really wonder if this town can support all that over the next few years, or if this is just one of those passing phases. I hope not, but I like to be realistic.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 12:24 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail Claimore View Post
70,000 plus people do NOT live over Chapman Mountain. Huntsville and Madison put together have 220,000 people. You're telling me that of this county's 335,000 people, over half of the remaining balance lives "over Chapman Mountain"? Come on, at most there's probably 35,000 living in the northeastern part of the county, with probably another 60,000 in the northwestern part and 20,000 in the southeastern part (keep in mind most of Hampton Cove and those new areas west of 431 are part of Huntsville and were part of it before the 2010 Census).

If anything, northeastern Madison County is underserved by retail and restaurants because most of the rest of the county, particularly west Huntsville, Madison, and the immediate area, is overserved by retail. How many Wal-Marts, Targets, and Logan's/Texas Roadhouses do we need on 72 West? And Bridge Street simply cannibalized off of Madison Square: that mall's days are numbered. What about all those other strip malls along University east of Research Park Blvd that have seen better days?

The number of restaurants in this town with $10+ meals that cater to upper-middle class engineers and other high-skilled creative-class members has probably doubled in the last 5 years. And half of them aren't terribly busy, even during lunch and dinner hours. I really wonder if this town can support all that over the next few years, or if this is just one of those passing phases. I hope not, but I like to be realistic.
Huntsville Madison county is divided into 6 districts, each district approx. 56,000 people (340,111, 2011 US Census estimate). Northeast Madison county (north of US 72 and east of Memorial Parkway encompasses the majority of District 1 and part of District 3. Include the heavy commuter traffic from Scottsboro/Jackson County and you easily have 70,000 residents/customers.
I agree with you on the saturation of west Huntsville and the underserved areas of the east side. That was my point, a lot of people in the NE part of the county have to travel a long way to get what they want. Even distribution of retail and significant highway infrastructure upgrades has not occured and is beginning to hinder progress. Will they all survive, of course not, but poor management/services/pricing are the main factors in those that dont make it.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 3:15 PM
America's Mars Rocket

So Sci Quest is supposed to announce their new location Friday, July 20th at 11:00 a.m. They will also give a timeline for the move, talk about its impact on current operations, and the benefits for the community. The news conference will be held at Sci-Quest’s current location on Wynn Drive.

Any guesses? If it's not downtown it will be a disappointment.
A multilevel facility with modern elevators and escalators new building or old would be cool, (old Hale Brothers building?)
Part of the new Twickenham Square? The dead Constellation project?
Hopefully it wont be at the Space and Rocket center or an abandoned grocery store
Very high expectations on this one, a great chance to make a huge impact on downtown Huntsville.
Go big or forget it.

They do have some major players on their board, so the possibilty of great things is there

Board of Directors
Executive Committee:
President - Randy Lycans, Jacobs ESTS
Vice President - Andy Crocker, Dynetics, Inc.
Treasurer - Daniel Olberding, The Boeing Corporation
Secretary - Cheryl Norton, Toyota Motor Manufacturing Alabama
Immediate Past President - Jeff Irons, IronsClad Solutions, Inc
At Large - Thad Mauldin, Qualis Corporation
At Large - Dr. Thomas Koshut, University of Alabama - Huntsville
At Large - Beth Martin, Progress Bank
Executive Director - Cyndy Morgan

Directors:
Daniel Adamek, Booz Allen Hamilton
Steve Blackwell, Emerson - Avocent
Dr. Thomas Buter, CSC
James Holtkamp, ServisFirst Bank
Dr. Neil Lamb, HudsonAlpha Institute for Biotechnology
Tracy Lamm, Lockheed Martin Corporation
Tim Massey, SAIC
Michael McKeon, Pratt & Whitney Rocketdyne
Dr. Georgia Richardson, Corvid Technologies
Mark Spencer, Digium, Inc.
Denise Vickers, WHNT News 19

Ex Officio:
Sharon Cobb, NASA/Marshall Space Flight Center

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 5:34 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
So Sci Quest is supposed to announce their new location Friday, July 20th at 11:00 a.m. They will also give a timeline for the move, talk about its impact on current operations, and the benefits for the community. The news conference will be held at Sci-Quest’s current location on Wynn Drive.

A multilevel facility with modern elevators and escalators new building or old would be cool, (old Hale Brothers building?)
Hopefully it wont be at the Space and Rocket center or an abandoned grocery store
Very high expectations on this one, a great chance to make a huge impact on downtown Huntsville.
Go big or forget it.

They do have some major players on their board, so the possibilty of great things is there

Board of Directors
Executive Committee:

Directors:
Dr. Thomas Buter, CSC
Tim Massey, SAIC

Ex Officio:
I'm going to guess the Space Center due to the fact the two parties have had discussions for quite some time. It would benefit both attractions, high visibility, and space available.
I hope it's not going there because it will do nothing for downtown, it will basically just become an extension the Space Center. Possibly as a temporary location until a permanent building is built on the property.
Hopefully my guess will be wrong even though if it is correct you will hear a lot of wonderful things at the announcement.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 6:04 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Downtown Brewery in the Times Building

http://www.btrbeer.com/

down by Joe Davis Stadium
http://www.straighttoale.com/the-brewery/

Downtown on Clinton
http://www.straighttoale.com/the-brewery/

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 6:43 PM
America's Mars Rocket

I-565 / County Line Road interchange upgrades.
This project should have already been complete but as yet is still waiting.
There may may be some slight modifications to this plan..I-565 runs left to right north is up.

Courtesy Gonzales-Strength Associates

Old Posted Jul 20, 2012, 2:42 AM

The first pieces of structural steel were erected today. This looks like it may be part of an office complex or some other minor structure.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2012, 2:59 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Giersberg View Post
The first pieces of structural steel were erected today. This looks like it may be part of an office complex or some other minor structure.
where at Colin?

Old Posted Jul 20, 2012, 3:58 PM

Quote:

Go big or forget it.

Board of Directors
Executive Committee:

Directors:
Dr. Thomas Buter, CSC
Tim Massey, SAIC

Ex Officio:
http://whnt.com/2012/07/19/sci-quest...-new-location/

The Old Winn-Dixie on Highway 20? I was hoping that would be an Aldi instead.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2012, 4:23 PM

I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that the steel is at the Carpenter Steel plant south of Athens.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2012, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilson View Post
http://whnt.com/2012/07/19/sci-quest...-new-location/

The Old Winn-Dixie on Highway 20? I was hoping that would be an Aldi instead.
What a terrible disappointment. But I guess the price was right:
http://www.showcase.com/property/907...labama/1169086

Old Posted Jul 21, 2012, 3:45 AM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjo33 View Post
What a terrible disappointment. But I guess the price was right:
http://www.showcase.com/property/907...labama/1169086
Yeah they blew it, apparently they didn't need the cash from the city either.
Cheap rent, plenty of parking was too good to refuse. Look at the cities with great science museums, they aren't in abandoned strip centers..on the plus
besides the cheap rent,
New Holiday Inn Express, Hampton Inn and major a entrance to Huntsville
International Airport, easy access to I-565 a great bbq restaurant are all nearby.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 3:11 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Sci Quest proposal,
looks like an old Winn Dixie..oh wait it is
that sign will become a weapon in the next storm.

and here is Chattanooga's
http://www.cdmfun.org/

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 3:24 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Seems Sci Quest should be asked some serious questions..
I don't see too many Huntsville residents joyfully contributing to their upcoming fund raiser.
I would say for a long time a lot of people in the City of Huntsville and elsewhere worked hard to try and accomodate Sci Quest.

From The Huntsville Times

Friday, December 16, 2005
By JOHN PECK
Times Staff Writer

The City Council authorized Huntsville Utilities on Thursday night to spend up to $1.8 million to renovate some of its empty office space downtown that could become the new home of Sci-Quest.
The cavernous space in the utility's administrative building on Spragins Street faces the cascading canal in the east end of Big Spring International Park. The unfinished area resulted from a top-to-bottom makeover of its downtown headquarters in the late 1990s.

John Thomas, vice president of services for Huntsville Utilities, told the council that U.S. Rep. Bud Cramer, D-Huntsville, recently secured $2 million for the renovation. Thomas said city leaders support moving Sci-Quest downtown. The Huntsville Utilities building may be just the place to accommodate Sci-Quest, he said, if legal agreements can be met among the private, nonprofit museum, the city-owned utilities building and federal grant money.

"There are a lot of questions we'll have to reconcile," he said.

Cramer discussed the possible Sci-Quest relocation during a news conference this month plugging downtown revitalization efforts. In announcing the $2 million renovation money, Cramer did not specify a site but said the hands-on science center for children would be a welcome addition to downtown.

Sci-Quest Director J.D. Horne has said he and the Sci-Quest board support moving downtown. Sci-Quest currently occupies 42,500 square feet in a building owned by Calhoun Community College on Interstate 565 across from the U.S. Space & Rocket Center.

Outside the council chambers Thursday night, Thomas said several companies have inquired about the Huntsville Utilities space. An engineering firm has offered to lease 7,000 square feet at $16 to $18 per square foot, he said, and at least two other professional firms have expressed interest in the other parts of the 25,000 square feet.

Thomas said the utility could create as much as 40,000 square feet for Sci-Quest in a renovation.Thomas said the utility board doesn't want to compete with other private office space but feels a need to lease the unused space to maximize use of its building. If the $2 million in federal money can be used to renovate the building for Sci-Quest and Huntsville Utilities doesn't have to spend its own capital, Thomas said Sci-Quest's rent probably would be less than what a private company would pay.

Thomas said the board hopes to make a final decision within months. The renovation, he said, probably would take several months

And then this

Thursday, February 02, 2006
By JOHN PECK
Times Staff Writer

Talks have begun on a proposal to move Sci-Quest into the old segregation-era Councill School building downtown.

Huntsville City Councilman Richard Showers and Madison County Commissioner Bob Harrison confirmed Wednesday that the Councill site is being considered as a possible location for the hands-on science center. Sci-Quest is on Wynn Drive in the Calhoun Community College building, across Interstate 565 from the U.S. Space & Rocket Center.

Both emphasized that the discussions are preliminary and that no decisions have been made.

"This is a very worthwhile effort. We need to try to work it out to satisfy everybody," Harrison said.

Supporters view the move as a way to renovate the deteriorating but historic Councill building.

"To renovate and refurbish and bring back a legacy to this community and have young people in there would be a plus," Showers said.

"What better mix than to have a current state-of-the-art science education facility in association with a historical and traditional education facility?" Harrison asked.

Sci-Quest Director J.D. Horne could not be reached for comment Wednesday. Horne has said previously that he and the Sci-Quest board support moving downtown if it would boost attendance and if the nonprofit center could afford it.

Cost a factor
City leaders and Sci-Quest officials have been mulling over a proposal to move Sci-Quest into a vacant section of the Huntsville Utilities office near Big Spring International Park. Utility representatives and city officials say that option may be too costly for Sci-Quest, which now pays only token rent for its 42,500 square feet at Calhoun."A lot of those talking have some reservations whether they (Sci-Quest) can afford that," Showers said.

There also would be parking problems at the Huntsville Utilities building but not at the Councill site, which is on St. Clair Avenue, beside the Huntsville-Madison County Public Library.

The Tennessee Valley Authority charter that governed the creation of Huntsville Utilities prohibits the utility from leasing office space for less than market value. Harrison said the rent alone would be in the $300,000 range.

Harrison said two Sci-Quest board members he talked with recently seemed open to Councill as a new home. Officers for the William Hooper Councill Alumni Association also spoke favorably about the idea, he said.

"They think it's a great idea," Harrison said. "They gave me the authority to proceed to see if we could facilitate that."

Harrison said he's still awaiting an official response from U.S. Rep. Bud Cramer on whether grant money the congressman secured to renovate the Huntsville Utilities building for Sci-Quest could be used to rebuild Councill.

$2 million grant to move

In a statement Wednesday, Cramer, D-Huntsville, said the grant is not limited to the Huntsville Utilities building. The $2 million is to help Sci-Quest relocate to enhance its offerings."This can be done at many locations in Huntsville, and I am sure Sci-Quest is considering them all," he said.

Earnest Horton, president of the Councill Alumni Association, said Wednesday that his group could support the Sci-Quest relocation and continues to look for grants, foundation awards and other sources of money to renovate the building. The alumni group released a master plan last fall showing a proposed multimillion-dollar makeover of the building.

Plans call for an auditorium/concert hall, a ballroom, a museum, several small offices and community rooms for tutoring, computer training, GED classes and other programs, and possibly a parking garage and community clinic.

Horton said those plans could be modified to accommodate Sci-Quest.

"We're prepared to tailor the building to satisfy any one of those components that will enhance its livelihood and help children learn and grow into more productive citizens," he said Wednesday.

The city owns the Councill property but has agreed to sell it to the alumni group for a nominal fee once its renovation plans are complete.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2012, 12:07 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Downtown parking garage approved for Publix, bank, hotel and lofts.

(Courtesy Chapman Sisson Architects)

The $85 million-plus redevelopment project will include more than 230 loft-style apartments called The Flats at Twickenham Square, a Publix supermarket, hotel, office tower and about 22,000 square feet of retail and restaurant space -- all catty-corner from Huntsville Hospital.
Publix and National Bank of Commerce are the only named tenants so far.
The ground floor of the garage, accessible only from Pelham Avenue, will likely be free parking for shoppers, diners and Publix customers.
Employees and guests of the hotel and office tower would enter from Gallatin Street and drive up a ramp to the garage's second level, she said. Vehicles could exit onto either Pelham Avenue or St. Clair Avenue.
Bostick said about 40 Flats at Twickenham Square residents would have reserved parking in the city garage. But most tenants would park in a separate deck financed by the developers.
Architect Martin Sisson said there will be a covered walkway leading from the city garage, across Pelham Avenue, to the front of Publix.
Two Nashville-area firms, Bristol Development Group and PGM Properties, are working together on the apartments, grocery store and additional retail and restaurant space.
Huntsville-based Triad Properties plans to build the office tower and is also in negotiations to bring a hotel to the site.
We should be hearing more about this project very soon..possibly today

Last edited by HSVTiger; Jul 24, 2012 at 7:22 PM.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2012, 7:24 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Big addition for downtown, this will be next door the planned urban Publix in the Twickenham Square development.

A new hotel is coming to downtown Huntsville. A Homewood Suites by Hilton will be built at the Councill Courts development site.

The hotel will be built at the intersection of Gallatin Street and Lowe Avenue. The project is estimated to cost $11.5 million.

Huntsville Mayor Tommy Battle says this comes about through a joint agreement between Triad Properties and PHD Hotels of Auburn.

“Thanks to the commitment of our private-sector partners and our hardworking staff, we have been able to make this ambitious project a reality,” said Mayor Battle. “It is a great time to live in Huntsville as we watch our city grow and flourish. I am eager to see Councill Courts become a star attraction in our city.”

The new Homewood Suites by Hilton will be four stories tall with 101 suites.
WHNT Source

Huntsville Mayor Tommy Battle said the hotel will provide more rooms close to Huntsville Hospital and helps move toward the "magic number" of 1,000 rooms that the Von Braun Center needs nearby to attract larger conventions.

The new Homewood Suites by Hilton will be an extended-stay, residential-style hotel.

"We hope to start construction in the fall and open late next year," said Tom Hunt, the owner and president of PHD Hotels. "We're ready to get going."

PHD Hotels has developed several hotels in Huntsville and across the south.
If it is built AT the intersection of Lowe and Gallatin this will be a change from the initial layout which had Publix and other retail on the corner and the hotel between it and the office building.

A problem I see so far with this overall development, all of the buildings are about the same height and all together will be boring and butt ugly.
C'mom can't we see some striking architecture instead of stucco and bricks?

Last edited by HSVTiger; Jul 24, 2012 at 8:19 PM.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2012, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Big addition for downtown, this will be next door the planned urban Publix in the Twickenham Square development.

A new hotel is coming to downtown Huntsville. A Homewood Suites by Hilton will be built at the Councill Courts development site.

The hotel will be built at the intersection of Gallatin Street and Lowe Avenue. The project is estimated to cost $11.5 million.

Huntsville Mayor Tommy Battle says this comes about through a joint agreement between Triad Properties and PHD Hotels of Auburn.

“Thanks to the commitment of our private-sector partners and our hardworking staff, we have been able to make this ambitious project a reality,” said Mayor Battle. “It is a great time to live in Huntsville as we watch our city grow and flourish. I am eager to see Councill Courts become a star attraction in our city.”

The new Homewood Suites by Hilton will be four stories tall with 101 suites.
WHNT Source

Huntsville Mayor Tommy Battle said the hotel will provide more rooms close to Huntsville Hospital and helps move toward the "magic number" of 1,000 rooms that the Von Braun Center needs nearby to attract larger conventions.

The new Homewood Suites by Hilton will be an extended-stay, residential-style hotel.

"We hope to start construction in the fall and open late next year," said Tom Hunt, the owner and president of PHD Hotels. "We're ready to get going."

PHD Hotels has developed several hotels in Huntsville and across the south.
If it is built AT the intersection of Lowe and Gallatin this will be a change from the initial layout which had Publix and other retail on the corner and the hotel between it and the office building.

A problem I see so far with this overall development, all of the buildings are about the same height and all together will be boring and butt ugly.
C'mom can't we see some striking architecture instead of stucco and bricks?
You'd think with all of the suite / extended stay hotels downtown, it would present an opportunity for a regular hotel to supplement them (Sheraton, Hyatt, etc).

Old Posted Jul 25, 2012, 3:23 AM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp7123 View Post
You'd think with all of the suite / extended stay hotels downtown, it would present an opportunity for a regular hotel to supplement them (Sheraton, Hyatt, etc).
We will see that happen, especially in the area of the old Coca cola plant

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast