HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
*moving from Energy Square (have to assume a resi-repurpose or full Reno is coming for that building).
Or demo perhaps, if there are lands to the north it could be consolidated with? Might be the most economic solution?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 4:12 PM
Community Guy

Can't see demo, but can see repurposing.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 6:40 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Can't see demo, but can see repurposing.
Residential would be good given the proximity to the future Central Warehouse Campus Park.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 7:48 PM
Community Guy

Reference ID: Job No 397742469-002
Description: To change the use of a portion of the third floor [loft floor of the podium] from Professional, Financial, Office Support Service to a General Retail Store and to construct interior alterations
Plan 2021702 Unit 2
10180C - 103 STREET NW
Condo Common Area (Plan 2021702)
Applicant: MAKESPACE.
Create Date: 5/28/2021 5:38:32 PM

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 9:27 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Reference ID: Job No 397742469-002
Description: To change the use of a portion of the third floor [loft floor of the podium] from Professional, Financial, Office Support Service to a General Retail Store and to construct interior alterations
Plan 2021702 Unit 2
10180C - 103 STREET NW
Condo Common Area (Plan 2021702)
Applicant: MAKESPACE.
Create Date: 5/28/2021 5:38:32 PM
Do you know what is going in?

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 11:45 PM
Community Guy

Sounds like The Helm's new home...

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 1:58 PM
Community Guy

Importance of Downtown Edmonton and the Impact of COVID-19

Downtown Edmonton holds a critical share of Edmonton’s housing, employment, and civic activities, generating over nine percent of the city’s property tax revenues in less than one percent of the city's area. The City’s and regional plans recognize the significance of downtown; The City Plan provides the direction to preserve and strengthen the role of Centre City as Edmonton’s principal employment and residential node, regional economic and mobility hub, urban and traditional meeting place, and celebration space.

Implementation of the Strategy has already begun and partners are collaboratively working to advance several actions. The costs to implement the Strategy are estimated to be between $7 million and $28 million. Administration is proposing a risk-based financial approach for funding of $5 million for the strategy. This funding will be used to further leverage contributions from partners. This funding will be supplied through existing funds from within the existing 2021 operating budget, including year-to-date budget savings and continued cost management strategies and no new additional funding is requested.

Despite this progress, downtown has been negatively and disproportionately impacted by COVID-19. Since the pandemic began, fewer people are visiting downtown to work, shop, study, and attend festivals. Almost all the usual drivers of activity have been affected; up to 60,000 office workers are working from home; roughly 35,000 post-secondary students transitioned to online learning and are no longer coming to their downtown campuses; conferences, performances and events have been cancelled or conducted virtually. With fewer people downtown, restaurants, personal services and retail businesses have closed.
Public health measures have severely limited the capacity of homeless-serving agencies, reducing their ability to meet the need for services. The economic shock of COVID-19 has contributed to the overall increase in the number of people experiencing homelessness and the number of precariously housed people seeking support. With fewer eyes on the street, the perception of safety has decreased and crime rates for harassment and assault are proportionately higher.

Vibrancy Strategy
To further support the recovery of downtown, Administration worked in partnership with a range of downtown stakeholders on the development of a Downtown Vibrancy Strategy. The strategy lays out 20 actions that will be led by a number of partners. These actions are organized around four key pillars:
● Downtown as a home - a place with a thriving and inclusive population where people continue to want to live and enjoy a high quality of life.
● Downtown as an economic hub - a place that supports a strong, diverse economy, where businesses, infrastructure, and amenities are connected and coordinated.
● Downtown as a destination - a place that people love, where tourism, retail, services, festivals, arts and culture, and attractive, accessible and well-activated public spaces flourish.
● Downtown as a safe, welcoming place - a place that prioritizes participation and quality of life for everyone, regardless of race, gender, class, age, ability, culture or other identities.

https://pub-edmonton.escribemeetings...eid=b81cde227f

Old Posted Jun 16, 2021, 3:46 PM
Community Guy

City announces new two-year strategy to stimulate downtown vibrancy
June 15, 2021

The City of Edmonton has announced a new two-year Downtown Vibrancy Strategy to support businesses, visitors, employees and residents of downtown. The Strategy outlines short-term steps the City, along with its many dedicated partners, will take to re-energize and activate the heart of Edmonton.

The strategy focuses on four pillars:
Downtown as a home
Downtown as an economic hub
Downtown as a destination
Downtown as a safe, welcoming place

Each pillar outlines the budgets and resources needed to achieve each action, including potential leads and partners.

“Putting the strategy into action requires intentional partnerships; coordinated efforts of the City of Edmonton, other orders of government, agencies, industry, downtown employers, land owners and Edmontonians,” said City Manager Andre Corbould. “Leveraging these partnerships will ensure the City is strategic in supporting business owners in navigating and overcoming the challenges they are experiencing as they serve citizens.”

The Strategy also aims to help Edmonton’s downtown recover from the financial and social effects of COVID-19. This Strategy recognizes the importance a strong, vibrant downtown has on our city and region. Edmonton’s downtown generates nine per cent of the City’s property taxes in only one per cent of its area and more than $4.4 billion in private and institutional investment.

“The pandemic has impacted our city centre particularly hard as fewer people visit, work, shop and study downtown,” said Urban Planning and Economy Deputy City Manager Stepanie McCabe. “Prior to COVID, economic indicators for Downtown had trended positive since 2017 and we have seen significant transformational change in our core. Our Downtown Vibrancy Strategy charts a course toward catalyzing that momentum again.”

The Downtown Vibrancy Strategy builds on steps the City has already taken to support downtown. These include:
Shared streets initiatives
Free parking promotions
Temporary Patio and Retail Extension Program
Economic recovery and downtown construction grants
Activations like Downtown Spark

Combined with planned capital projects such as the Warehouse Campus Park, this work totals over $271 million in public investment downtown over the short term.

“This new strategy will build off of the learnings and successes of our many downtown revitalization initiatives,” said Corbould. “We remain committed to creating the conditions for a vibrant downtown throughout our COVID-19 recovery and into the future.”

Edmontonians can follow the work ahead and watch for new activities and events taking place downtown by visiting edmonton.ca/downtown.

For more information:
edmonton.ca/downtown

Media contact:
Melissa Lovatt
Account Director
Communications and Engagement
780-719-0544

Old Posted Jun 16, 2021, 7:59 PM
Community Guy

Downtown universities are critical to the recovery of city cores

Universities are inherently connected to their communities, creating whole new sectors, supporting innovation, entrepreneurship and economic growth.
by Annette Trimbee
June 16, 2021
As I walked the seven city blocks of Edmonton’s MacEwan University on my first day as president back in August 2020, I was overjoyed to see that some students, faculty and staff were back on campus. The vast majority of the university’s offerings had moved online (with monumental effort, flexibility and creativity from faculty and students). We were optimistically planning for a more active campus in the fall and hoping that we might avoid a second or third wave of COVID-19.

Outside that “bubble of hope” at the northernmost edge of downtown, our neighbours were flocking to the suburbs, and vacancies were on the rise. People were avoiding the city centre for fear of catching the virus. Businesses were struggling. Downtown arts and cultural organizations were shuttered. Homelessness surged. Unemployment was among the highest in the country.

https://policyoptions.irpp.org/magaz...of-city-cores/

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 3:10 PM
Community Guy

ULI panel discussion on Downtown Calgary & its recovery plan from earlier this week.

https://uli-my.sharepoint.com/person...FSakNmYUV4MlVn

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 4:07 PM
Community Guy

2:22:50 - Downtown Vibrancy Strategy

https://pub-edmonton.escribemeetings...f-cf7e2aece1fb

Old Posted Jun 20, 2021, 4:00 PM
Community Guy

COE Presentation to Council June/21

Old Posted Aug 11, 2021, 2:58 AM
Community Guy

Old Posted Aug 11, 2021, 12:06 PM

A lot of companies are going to a hybrid model regarding staff working from home or on site.

It remains to be seen how this will affect vulnerable downtowns like Edmonton.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2021, 6:29 PM
Community Guy

We are more vulnerable, but the numbers and sqft/exposure is much less.

My two best friends work in Downtown Toronto, one for the Feds and one for a private developer.

Feds - 2-3 times a week into the office at most for his role, if that. Gave up his transit pass.

Private dev - permanently working from home and they are giving up their office space completely and will use co-working space as required. Gave up their parking spaces as well.

Think about the infrastructure for cities of that size; thankfully many firms may see this as an opportunity to enter the Downtown marketplace.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2021, 8:13 PM

Coworking spaces have been such a huge win in recent times and I see it expanding.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2021, 9:29 PM
Community Guy

Downtown set to return to life but risks to recovery remain

https://edmontonjournal-com.cdn.ampp...b390d8117/amp/

Old Posted Aug 24, 2021, 9:53 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Aug 31, 2021, 12:38 AM
Community Guy

Conversion candidate?

Highfield Place
10010 106 Street NW
Total Vacancy: 108,853
Overall Vacancy Rate: 100%
Headlease Vacancy: 100%
Sublease Vacancy: 0.0%
Quarterly Change: No change

Old Posted Sep 29, 2021, 12:35 AM
Community Guy

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton