HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 10:44 PM

This is the construction company website that is doing the building at Veterans Way and College Ave.
You can see one rendering in the following link
BD Construction

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 10:48 PM

The perspective is weird, but it looks like it will be great.

BTW, what was the name of the street before it was called Veteran's Way? I've completely forgotten. It wasn't 5th Ave, was it?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2012, 12:15 AM

Close, 5th Street turns into Veterans Way at College Ave.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2012, 1:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxER View Post
Close, 5th Street turns into Veterans Way at College Ave.
But Veterans was Stadium a couple years ago.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2012, 2:32 AM

/\ that's right, Stadium. Thanks

(meant 5th st)

Old Posted Jan 20, 2012, 5:02 AM

If only they did something about the old Domino's Pizza location over by Terrace and Apache.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 5:29 PM

New Restaurants on & near Mill Ave

"Front Door" is the name of a new restaurant that will be attempting to make a go of it at the NE corner of Mill and University. I hadn't realized that DiVerti was no longer open, but the article says it closed right before New Years. That corner seems cursed. Since I've lived in Tempe (since 2005) that corner has been Ruby Tuesdays, Suckerpunch Sally's, DiVerti and now "Front Door." I suppose a parade of attempts is much better than the building sitting empty though right?
Also, a new Thai restaurant called "5 R Cha Thai" opened at 203 East 7th St a couple of weeks ago. It's located near House of Tricks in what I call, the "Dead Zone" of downtown Tempe.
See the article from the Tempe Republic below:
http://www.azcentral.com/community/t...mill-spot.html

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butta View Post
Interesting that they are planning on spending $17.5M but they are not sure what will come of it. Oh well, at least there will be 1 less empty lot.
Messed around on the ASU site and found this.

Block 12 Overview

Block 12 Proposal

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 5:31 AM

When I went to ASU, it always irked me that the School of Design and Landscape Architecture used that ugly box on the NW corner of College and 7th St as a classroom, yet they never attempted to apply whatever they were teaching on that building or the dirt lot surrounding it.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 7:25 AM

My studio/seminar is in that building lol

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 2:06 PM

I know we have already talked a lot about Encore on Farmer- but this article was in the Tempe Republic today. They are open and ready for business! I'm pleased that Tempe is working to diversify its downtown population. I wish a grocery store like a Trader Joes would open at Ash and University. Safeway at Rural and Broadway is the nearest grocery store to my place - near Hardy and First.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/t...dable-new.html

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 9:12 PM
under the influence...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempeSilverFox View Post
I wish a grocery store like a Trader Joes would open at Ash and University.
SilverFox, you just don't know...

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 5:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertex View Post
SilverFox, you just don't know...
lol- know what?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 4:35 PM

Quote:
"Front Door" is the name of a new restaurant that will be attempting to make a go of it at the NE corner of Mill and University. I hadn't realized that DiVerti was no longer open, but the article says it closed right before New Years. That corner seems cursed. Since I've lived in Tempe (since 2005) that corner has been Ruby Tuesdays, Suckerpunch Sally's, DiVerti and now "Front Door." I suppose a parade of attempts is much better than the building sitting empty though right?
Also, a new Thai restaurant called "5 R Cha Thai" opened at 203 East 7th St a couple of weeks ago. It's located near House of Tricks in what I call, the "Dead Zone" of downtown Tempe.
See the article from the Tempe Republic below:
http://www.azcentral.com/community/t...mill-spot.html
Devil's Den, not Front Door, set for Mill opening

Negotiations on the Front Door restaurant expected to open in downtown Tempe next month fell through, but the high-profile location is in such demand that a new owner already signed a lease on the space.

On Tuesday, property owner Mike Frost said that a tenant signed a lease on Friday to open Devil's Den Sports Grill in his building on the northeastern corner of Mill Avenue and University Drive.

Frost said he thinks that the restaurateur's business concept, which is based on an Arizona State University sports theme, will attract the many ASU students, faculty and alumni who work, live or go to school in the area.

"I liked their whole idea of being a place for ASU," he said. "They said to me, 'There is not a sports bar (downtown) where alumni and students can go.'"

Frederic Zimmerman, who had hoped to open the Front Door restaurant in the building at 4 E. University, told the Tempe Republic on Tuesday that he "couldn't come to an agreement on a lease." He added that the lack of free parking near the building was a sticking point.

Frost said he never had a deal with Zimmerman.

Charlie Maxwell, who will operate Devil's Den, said he was competing with Zimmerman for the space. "This is a great location. I'm really happy we got it," he said.

Maxwell said that given the many parking lots near University and Mill he does not foresee a problem with parking.

The past two restaurants to give the location a shot in recent years closed after struggling to attract long-term business in the down economy.

But Maxwell said he has high hopes for Devil's Den because it fills a void in downtown Tempe. Maxwell's concept for the restaurant came when he realized that the majority of downtown Tempe customers are ASU sports fans yet there is not a restaurant on Mill catering to that market.

Maxwell said that chain restaurants like Buffalo Wild Wings and Hooters are fine but that the Valley's loads of Sun Devil fans should have their own sports bar on Mill. Devil's Den will be decked in Sun Devils memorabilia and maroon and gold.

"I went to ASU and I really wanted it themed after ASU's heritage and celebrating ASU athletics," he said. Maxwell recited a list of famous former Sun Devils, including Reggie Jackson, Danny White, Pat Tillman, Phil Mickelson, Barry Bonds and Jake Plummer.

"Think of all the great athletes that went through there," he said. "I want this to be a really proud place where ASU fans can call home."

Although there is not an ASU-themed restaurant in downtown Tempe, Devil's Advocate Bar and Grill opened near University and Rural Road in 2009. The restaurant near Sun Devil Stadium is decorated with Sun Devil memorabilia and caters to students and alumni.

Devil's Den is Maxwell's first restaurant. The Mesa native said the menu will include All-American food including pizza, hot wings, gourmet hamburgers and sandwiches. A variety of drink and food specials including 25-cent wings will be offered. Prices will range from $4 to $10.

The restaurant will host a soft opening on Super Bowl Sunday. Although Maxwell will still be putting finishing touches on the restaurant, he said he wants to open on a day that sports fans consider a celebration.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 11:57 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

I noticed today for the first time that Tempe is advertising on the side of our light rail trains here in Denver.

"Frost belongs on glasses, not on your windshield." Haha.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 6:36 AM

Quote:
lol- know what?
There was an independent co-op natural-foods grocery store on that specific lot at ash and university until it was moved out and the building torn down for a condo development that never started,

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJphx View Post
There was an independent co-op natural-foods grocery store on that specific lot at ash and university until it was moved out and the building torn down for a condo development that never started,
Oh yeah, Gentle Strength- I remember. I think they moved out and the space was torn down a few months after I moved to Tempe.
The Tempe Farmer's Market across the street right at Farmer and University has some nice offerings, but I don't see myself doing my major grocery run there every week. I will go there if I need a couple of things that I ran out of though.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 2:11 AM

Few Development Review Commission mentions

Noticed yesterday and today some work being done on Eighth and Rural. First Part and Second Part of the review

323 Veterans Way/ Armory Site

Appears that All Saints Newman Center is underway.

Still nothing with Residence Inn (former Urban Garden) and touch up on the old Mill.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 9:32 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaBass View Post
By Corey Maleka November 3, 2011 at 7:19 pm
The planned two-level bookstore is part of a project named Block 12, but project plans are still in the preliminary stages.
When construction will begin is still uncertain, but Wheeler is hopeful the bookstore will be ready by fall 2013.
[/URL]
Definitely excited to hear about the new bookstore, just wish it was on a much sooner schedule. Considering that it is 50,000 sq ft for just the bookstore itself, I am guessing they plan on having a large regular book selection, like a Barnes and Noble size store. It would be great to have something like that near campus, especially since Borders closed. I was always surprised and annoyed that ASU never had one like that considering a lot of other universities (especially of ASU's size) have full scale bookstores on campus.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 10:24 PM

It appears ASU has another major building planned. It is for Del Webb school of construction. I hadn't heard about this but it appears to have been around since 2007 at least according to the documents I saw it in on the az board of regents site.

Del E Webb Construction and Engineering Building - $65 million - 180,000 sq ft

https://azregents.asu.edu/boardbook/...a-2007-09-.pdf
(desribes it a bit more)

another document from the regents in 2008 lists the same building with a different name:

ASUT-Interdisciplinary Sciences & Technology Building 6 - also 180,000 sq ft, about 65 Million and for Del Webb.

https://azregents.asu.edu/boardbook/...9a-2008-06.pdf

It doesn't say specifically where it is planned to go, but in the description from the first link it seems to give hints describing the location. It must be next to the light rail station at rural and university, on one of those underdeveloped lots. Maybe on the actual corner there where the car wash is? Or the spot with the maintenance buildings? There is also a smaller lot between the light rail station and a parking garage that is cleared with a fence around it in google satellite-view.
Quote:
The project is planned to construct a 180,000 gross square foot facility to provide space for the Del
E. Webb School of Construction, the Fulton School of Engineering and university classrooms. The
project is planned to also include integration of plaza areas with the light rail station, and first floor
retail space. The six-story building
is planned to house faculty and administrative offices, university
classrooms, department assigned class laboratories, and other dry laboratories, and ancillary spaces
for support of the building or other university functions. This project is contingent upon legislative
support and fundraising efforts from industry donors, and will not proceed until funding is secured.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest