HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 2:22 PM

Noble breaks ground on dual-branded AC/Moxy hotel

Obviously this broke ground a while ago.

Night time rendering

more renderings
http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...oxy-hotel.html

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
Obviously this broke ground a while ago.

Night time rendering

more renderings
http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...oxy-hotel.html
Wait, what does this mean? Is it just a fancy cross-walk across 14th St?
Quote:
The project will rise along 14th street. The Moxy hotel will have 155 rooms, and the AC wil have 133 rooms. The hotels will share a deck-top amenity space, including a rooftop pool and bar.

It’s expected to open in mid-2018. Atlanta's Cooper Carry is the architect.

As part of the project, Noble will create a portion of a pedestrian connector called the Arts Walk that will connect 14th Street to Crescent Avenue.

Atlanta Business Chronicle first reported plans for the project in August 2015.
From 2005-2016 I was working at P'tree & 4th and now I'm on 14th St. The number of projects up here is just phenomenal

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainiac View Post
Wait, what does this mean? Is it just a fancy cross-walk across 14th St?
That might be part of it, at some point:

http://www.midtownatl.com/_files/doc...lk-concept.pdf

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 5:47 PM

West Midtown could be getting a new Kroger-anchored center.

Quote:
The developers have switched gears from previous plans to add multifamily to the project and instead intend to focus on retail and office space. A land disturbance permit filed late last year with the City of Atlanta indicates the project would include space for a grocer, restaurants, a bank and retail.

But permits filed with the city confirm another use of the project: self-storage. According to separate land disturbance permits, Pennsylvania-based CubeSmart is planning to operate a storage facility at the project. Officials with the company confirm that developers will build the facility for CubeSmart.

More...FUQUA IN DISCUSSIONS FOR WEST ATLANTA KROGER

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
West Midtown could be getting a new Kroger-anchored center.
Fuqua is creating a travesty out of Atlanta.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 6:21 PM

Midtown Hampton Inn & Suites Hotel

A reworked version of this project is scheduled to go before the Midtown DRC on this month, for the 3rd time. Based on their application for Fulton's tax abatement incentive, I think this will probably move forward this time. The DRC application says the lobby is on the 20th floor but I think they meant that the amenities / meeting space will now be on the 20th floor.

The new details...
  • 20 stories
  • 186 guest rooms
  • 95 parking spaces;
  • 1,750 SF retail

FOLLOW-UP: 1231 West Peachtree Street
Project Type: New construction of a multi-story hotel – 186 guestrooms on 11 floors above 7 levels of parking, plus 1,750 SF retail. This is a refresh of a project of that was presented to the DRC in January 2007 and again in 2015. Since 2015, the applicant has reconfigured the ground level in attempts in mitigate concerns about vehicular congestion. Lobby and registration functions have moved from the first floor to the 20th. The developer is North Point Hospitality Group and the architect is Lindsay Pope Brayfield and Associates.
http://www.midtownatl.com/_files/doc...a-04-11-17.pdf

Details from their letter of inducement to Development Authority of Fulton County:
A 20-story urban high-rise Hampton Inn & Suites Hotel by Hilton in Midtown Atlanta. The hotel will consist of a lobby at grade level, 95 valet parking spaces on levels 2 to 7, 188 guest rooms on levels 8 to 19, and a 57-seat breakfast area, bar/lounge, terrace, meeting space, and fitness facility on the 20th floor.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 5:25 PM

Copying my post from the other thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
Studioplex press release mentioned breaking ground this month on the retail and townhome portion of the mixed-use buildout. No word on the hotel, although it was originally slated for this year:

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 1:49 AM

DRC Recap

Hampton Inn & Suites Hotel

Quote:
The Midtown DRC met on Tuesday, April 11th, to review a revised proposal for North Point Hospitality Group's Hampton Inn & Suites project at the southeast corner of West Peachtree and 15th Street. The project was reviewed previously by the DRC in 2015 and at that time the committee recommended support. However, as the developer has continued to refine operational aspects of the project, it was deemed necessary to rethink valet service for the 169-room hotel. The subsequent proposal presented on Tuesday relocates the hotel lobby and guest registration area to the top floor of the hotel to create additional storage space for cars on the ground floor. The new scheme also adds a second vehicular exit on 15th Street to optimize valet service within the 6-level parking garage. The Midtown DRC was not supportive of this change since it negatively impacts the street-level façade of the building on 15th Street and degrades the quality of the pedestrian environment.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 11:29 AM

That literally looks like they took a typical suburban Hampton Inn, lifted it up and set it on a parking deck. I'm glad the DRC rejected this for the pedestrian concerns. Curb cuts all over the place is one of my biggest concerns with Midtown development.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 12:27 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinman View Post
That literally looks like they took a typical suburban Hampton Inn, lifted it up and set it on a parking deck. I'm glad the DRC rejected this for the pedestrian concerns. Curb cuts all over the place is one of my biggest concerns with Midtown development.
Fortunately for Midtown, I believe the proposed design is not a typical Hampton Inn found in the suburbs or in the city for that matter (see below). Actually, I would say it is highly unusual to even find many 20+ story Hampton Inns in the US.

Why is having 2 curb cuts an issue? Do you believe it will slow traffic down, hurt the pedestrian "experience".......etc? Given the size of the hotel, I don't believe there will be many cars coming or going on a per minute schedule.

This is what a typical Hampton Inn looks like in the suburbs or in the city as this is a pic of their Buckhead location - purty isn't she?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
Fortunately for Midtown, I believe the proposed design is not a typical Hampton Inn found in the suburbs or in the city for that matter (see below). Actually, I would say it is highly unusual to even find many 20+ story Hampton Inns in the US.

Why is having 2 curb cuts an issue? Do you believe it will slow traffic down, hurt the pedestrian "experience".......etc? Given the size of the hotel, I don't believe there will be many cars coming or going on a per minute schedule.

This is what a typical Hampton Inn looks like in the suburbs or in the city as this is a pic of their Buckhead location - purty isn't she?
I believe that's the old prototype. Hilton has updated the design to look more like this nowadays:

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3yonce View Post
I believe that's the old prototype. Hilton has updated the design to look more like this nowadays:

call me crazy but i think i like the first one better. at least it *has* a cohesive style.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post

Well of course the typical Hampton Inn is not 20 stories because it's not sitting on top of a parking deck thus the statement "it looks like they took a typical suburban Hampton Inn hotel, lifted it up and set it on a parking deck"

The point is that it is bargain basement architecture and its ugly.

See arctk2014's post on the curb cuts since I couldn't say it any better. I agree with the DRC that they should just eliminate the retail space and go back to the old design for the base of the tower.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3yonce View Post
Hampton Inns haven't exactly been on the cutting edge of design but they can be okay and they do address the need for mid-priced hotels.

McKibbon Hospitality, Coro Realty to Build Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton in Buckhead

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 4:39 PM

Studioplex Phase 2 to break ground this month

19 townhomes over retail

tenants for the project include...
  • Dancing Dogs Yoga
  • Beetnix Juice Bar
  • Hawkers Asian Street Fare 
  • a bar from the proprietors of 18.21 Bitters

https://whatnowatlanta.com/18-21-bit...-second-phase/

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 5:40 PM

Quote:
19 townhomes over retail

• Dancing Dogs Yoga
  • Beetnix Juice Bar
Someone noted this earlier, either here or Curbed I forget, but the facade looks to be brick on the townhomes. While i'm not a huge fan of so few people having prime spots right on the beltline), I am a huge proponent of this project. The mix of uses supplementing the existing studioplex townhomes is an asset to the area. Would love to see these townhomes broken into multi-family living some day in the future. For now, I welcome the additional retail to the neighborhood and encourage more developments to have such an engaging pedestrian experience, while providing a greater quantity of residences.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
19 townhomes over retail

• Dancing Dogs Yoga
  • Beetnix Juice Bar

https://whatnowatlanta.com/18-21-bit...-second-phase/
Dear lord, I forgot about this project. Irwin/Lake Ave is still closed for the Beltline traffic table installation and then this. First World Problems, but yowza my mornings are going to be a pain the patootie until this is finished.

Looking forward to the three projects at the corner of McGill and Glen Iris to finish -- they stage materials on the public streets with flag men most mornings. Except for the AT&T truck parking, that will be a "complete corner": whodda thunk it?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2017, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainiac View Post
Dear lord, I forgot about this project. Irwin/Lake Ave is still closed for the Beltline traffic table installation and then this. First World Problems, but yowza my mornings are going to be a pain the patootie until this is finished.

Looking forward to the three projects at the corner of McGill and Glen Iris to finish -- they stage materials on the public streets with flag men most mornings. Except for the AT&T truck parking, that will be a "complete corner": whodda thunk it?
This is closer to the Edgewood Street bridge than Irwin Street so I don't see this affecting Irwin Street itself.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2017, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
This is closer to the Edgewood Street bridge than Irwin Street so I don't see this affecting Irwin Street itself.
Do you happen to know where the 19 townhomes will go? Directly from the Edgewood bridge north to about halfway along the studioplex property??

Old Posted Apr 16, 2017, 3:21 PM

Will these townhomes and retail actually face the Beltline? I thought these were planned for the west side of the Studioplex, or is that a separate set of townhomes? Is the hotel that was supposed to front the Beltline still in play?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta