HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 30, 2010, 7:46 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

$71-million dock facility could open up newsprint, cruise markets

Quote:
The Corner Brook Port Corporation has completed a feasibility study of a project which would open up some much-needed waterfront property, not to mention more distant newsprint markets for Corner Brook Pulp and Paper.

The project, should funding sources be found to pay the $71-million price tag attached to it, involves building a new 500-metre dock across the basin from the existing wharf where the Oceanex property is located to Corner Brook Pulp and Paper’s existing wharf.
Complete article

Source

Old Posted Feb 9, 2010, 1:28 PM

google street view

google street view is now offered in corner brook and basically anywhere on t.c.h

Old Posted Feb 21, 2010, 3:48 PM

http://www.thewesternstar.com/index....d=328475&sc=26

New hotel delving into uncharted territory for province

STEADY BROOK
CORY HURLEY
The Western Star

Steady Brook Inn will be nestled against the Humber River adjacent to Marble Mountain. — Submitted image
Steady Brook Inn will be nestled against the Humber River adjacent to Marble Mountain. — Submitted image

K.S.A.B. Construction Ltd. of Corner Brook is embarking on a new project — the construction of a 4-star, 72-room resort hotel in Steady Brook, to be called Steady brook Inn.

Darren Brake, company president, said the resort will be a $16-million, two-year project with construction starting this summer and an opening anticipated in late 2011.

“It will meet or exceed Canada Select 4-star rating,” Brake stated in a press release.
“I am confident in the economy and in the tourism industry here in western Newfoundland.

“Our provincial government has done a tremendous job in promoting tourism in Newfoundland. Their research and our research showed us that there is a need for a 4-star resort hotel.

“I would not have considered this project without this level of assurance. In addition, our location is exceptional — Steady Brook Inn will be located between the Humber River and the foot of Marble Mountain.”

The unique thing about this hotel will be the public has the opportunity to own it. Any person or company paying Newfoundland and Labrador income taxes can purchase a condo unit, thus buying a share of the project.

The investors will share income from everything inside the resort — the restaurant, the gift shop, the conference room, the adventure tourism office and all other guest services.

Owners will also get a guaranteed income and free personal use of their suite.
K.S.A.B. will operate the project for five years, after which the investors will own 100 per cent of the building and amenities.

The Government of Newfoundland and Labrador’s resort property investment tax credit gives the investor of Steady Brook Inn hotel condo a tax credit of 45 per cent of the purchase price.

“I am confident that the condos will sell,” Brake said. “There is an investor’s income tax credit of over $100,000 per room. It is, in effect, a 45 per cent discount off of the purchase price, but the reasons to buy go beyond that.”

The provincial government also has guidelines in place to ensure the operator manages the resort at a minimum 4-star level.

“The government’s plan gives the investor a level of security by holding over $1 million of our money in escrow to ensure that Steady Brook Inn is operated as a minimum 4-star hotel for 5 years,” said Brake.

The building will be a total of 60,000 square feet and will be comprised of 72 guest rooms, a gift shop, restaurant/bar, pool, sauna, gym, adventure tourism offices, hot tub, and conference rooms.

It is expected to employ 40 tradespeople and labourers while under construction and as many as 60 full-time and part-time hotel staff when operating, according to Brake.

“There are only 10 other hotel condominiums in Canada that we know of,” he said. “It’s a new concept for Newfoundland, but an existing and growing trend for North America.”

After two years of work getting to the announcement of the project this week, Herb Johnson, manager of K.S.A.B. Realty, said they’ve just started pre-sales and will be at Marble Mountain for a show until Thursday.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2010, 8:27 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
The unique thing about this hotel will be the public has the opportunity to own it. Any person or company paying Newfoundland and Labrador income taxes can purchase a condo unit, thus buying a share of the project. . . .

The Government of Newfoundland and Labrador’s resort property investment tax credit gives the investor of Steady Brook Inn hotel condo a tax credit of 45 per cent of the purchase price.
That is a great location for this development, but if ownership is restrictive I wonder how well it will work as an investment opportunity.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 4:35 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

It looks like there is also a second development coming for Steady Brook:

Pacrim partner on hotel project
Irish company's Steady Brook development back on

Quote:
Ground will likely be broken on a proposed resort development in Steady Brook consisting of a hotel and condominium units.

Glenn Squires, chief executive officer of Pacrim Hospitality, said his company is a junior partner to FK Developments of Ireland, which owns the land the resort will go on.

While development plans aren't finalized yet, Squires expects the 150-unit hotel to be Phase 1 of the project, with the 80 townhouse units as a second round of construction.

Still, both phases could be built simultaneously depending on financing, the Corner Brook native said. The project is expected to cost in the region of $35 million.

The project, announced in 2005 as "Humber Seasons," has been delayed in part due to the recent economic climate, he said.
Continue reading:
http://www.thewesternstar.com/index....d=328536&sc=26

Old Posted Mar 30, 2010, 9:22 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

MUN, Grenfell get new residences

Quote:
The St. John's campus will get a 500-unit residence tower, and Sir Wilfred Grenfell College in Corner Brook will get a 200-unit facility.
Source: http://www.thetelegram.com/index.cfm?sid=334663&sc=79

Grenfell to get new 200-bed residence

Quote:
Pike said the site already prepared for a smaller building will likely be the same site for the new residence, but could not comment on what changes may be needed to accommodate the bigger structure
Article: http://www.thewesternstar.com/index....d=334600&sc=23

Old Posted Apr 16, 2010, 2:13 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Old Posted Apr 16, 2010, 2:22 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Courthouse, long-term care buildings nearing completion

Quote:
Corner Brook’s newest government buildings should be open for business in the coming two months or so.

The first one expected to open its doors will be the new law courts building next to the Sir Richard Squires Building.

While the Department of Justice could not confirm when the first court cases will be called in the new 4,500-square metre building, which cost more than $20 million . . .

Images & Full Article, The Western Star

Old Posted Apr 24, 2010, 10:06 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

MUN Seeking New Name for Sir Wilfred Grenfell College

Quote:
Once again, the public is being asked to help find a new name for Sir Wilfred Grenfell College in Corner Brook. Memorial University is hosting sessions next week in Corner Brook and St. John's to seek input. A public forum took place at Grenfell five years ago for the same reason, but a new name was not chosen. Acting MUN President Chris Loomis says they've recognized for some time now that there is a problem with using the word "college" in the name.

The Corner Brook campus was named after Sir Wilfred Grenfell in 1979, recognizing his contributions to the Northern Peninsula. Loomis says there are ways to preserve that name.

The public is invited to the lecture theatre in Grenfell's library starting at 7 p.m. next Wednesday. A session is being held in St. John's in the Arts and Administration building next Tuesday, from 2 to 4 p.m.
VOCM -Source Article

Well, some of the obvious names to consider would be "Sir Wilfred Grenfell University", or "Grenfell University", or "University of Corner Brook", or "University of Western Newfoundland"; the acronyms are important too, four letters is one too many, three is best - SWGU, GU, UCB, UWN. (My preference would be UWN.)

Another suggestion I have is "University of St. John's at Corner Brook", but I'm sure that wouldn't go over too well.

Last edited by Architype; Apr 24, 2010 at 10:17 PM.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2010, 1:09 AM

I like the initials of UCB best, but not the name. I do like the idea of keeping Sir Wilfred Grenfell in the name but I also like UWN too. Who knows maybe a really different name will come up. What about DWU, Danny Williams University?

On that note though there are tons of things named after Joey Smallwood but I never hear of things named after the other 8 Premiers or really any politicians for that matter. It seems like in other provinces they have a fair bit of things named after politicians.

I'm also not that fussy on the new City Hall.

Last edited by PoscStudent; Apr 25, 2010 at 1:19 AM.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2010, 1:57 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Well, the public is being asked for suggestions, let's see what they come up with.

Unfortuntely, Neither "Smallwood" or "Peckford" are the best names to choose, because they could potentially be the butt of jokes; also people aren't ready to recognise Smallwood yet; it's still too political; and the name has been used lots in the past even while Smallwood was around.

Another possibility is "Bay of Islands University" (BIU), or "Memorial University at Corner Brook (sort of like UCLA) - (MUNCB).
Another one would be "Humber University" - HU (who) ?

I still like UWN though.

Anyway, I think the choice of a name that will be memorable is important; the potential of Corner Brook as a college town for the future should not be underestimated; many would love to be a student in a great natural environment like CB offers.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2010, 2:46 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Is Sir Wilfred Grenfell College going to become a fully autonomous university completely seperate from MUN?

If so, the same evolutionary process happened in Cape Breton. CBU started out as a junior college affiliated with Saint Francis Xavier University. Initially you could do your first two years there and then over time, the institution became degree granting in it's own right, initially being named UCCB (University College of Cape Breton) before being named Cape Breton University.

If Wilfed Grenfell remains affiliated with MUN then I think Memorial University of Newfoundland at Corner Brook (MUNCB) would be appropriate. This would be similar to the University of New Brunswick at Saint John (UNBSJ).

If Wilfred Grenfell is not going to be affilated with MUN then I would suggest either:
1 - Wilfred Grenfell University (WGU)
2 - Humber Valley University (HVU)

Old Posted Apr 25, 2010, 4:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Is Sir Wilfred Grenfell College going to become a fully autonomous university completely seperate from MUN?
It's being worked out, they'll soon be a bit more independent from MUN but not seperate yet. Another few years probably.

I've said before how I thought Corner Brook would have been a much better location for the Capital City of Newfoundland and Labrador.

I've been looking at the geography of the area lately and the Bay of Islands is much better then St. John's harbour and is larger then Halifax's and Saint John's. There is also enough harbours that there could be one used for industrial purposes and one used as a place for cruise ships and recreational use. I also like that area east of the core of the city where there is a long lake with an island in it. I thought that area could be like a "Manhatten".

The location of Corner Brook is also more strategic then St. John's in relation to "mainland" Canada. Marine Atlantic could sail into Corner Brook from Nova Scotia, which would be easier for travelers. Corner Brook is close to Labrador and if there was a large enough population on the west coast there would probably be a tunnel from the island to Labrador by now, sailing into Montreal probably wouldn't take that long either. The climate difference in Corner Brook and St. John's isn't much and Corner Brook gets warmer temperatures in the Summer but also more snow. The whole area is gorgeous too, Marble Mountain is in the city, Gros Mourne is near by and there seems to be lots more recreational things to do on the west coast, though it might have to do with in not being a very developed area.

It's a shame Corner Brook hasn't become more of a major city but maybe with all the oil exploration in the area some black gold might be found and the area will take off.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2010, 4:57 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

^ The island is called "Glover Island", and the lake is Grand Lake (maybe the island's largest? - about 100 km long includiing Sandy lake), about 15 km east of CB. It seems like there is an opportunity for tourism if it were made accessible.

It would be nice to see C.B. develop a bit more, and although the terrain makes it hard for development, it's not impossible. It actually needs some concentrated density in order to avoid the enviromental mistake of developing steep hillsides.

However, if you moved a few St. John's people there they would start complaining about the views and put an end to development.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 12:28 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Keep Grenfell in campus name change: students

Quote:
Students are pleading with Memorial University of Newfoundland to keep the name of a pioneering medical missionary in their campus's title.

The Newfoundland and Labrador government wants Memorial's Sir Wilfred Grenfell College in Corner Brook to take on more independence from the university's main campus, in St. John's. . . .

The students' union supports a change to Memorial University, Sir Wilfred Grenfell Campus.

Randell said many residents of Corner Brook also back such a name, although others want a change.

"There's also people supportive of adding Corner Brook to it as well, so you can physically put a location where the institution is," he said.
Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/newfoundlan...#ixzz0mFutSrNG

How about calling it "Grenfell Memorial University", (GMU) ?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2010, 1:52 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Port corporation open to recreational developments on waterfront

Quote:
The Corner Brook Port Corporation supports a revitalization of the city’s waterfront area, though it says some proposed developments would have to agree with other plans that have been put on the table.

In late April, a recreational master plan for Corner Brook was unveiled.

It was a wide-ranging concept containing a long list of amenities the city could have if it could find the millions of dollars in funding to make them a reality.

A big component of the plan involved several ideas to develop different areas of the waterfront. These included a waterfront park to enhance the industrialized west end of the port to incorporate more tourism and recreation-minded usage. That would possibly include an expansion of the existing information kiosk to include washrooms and enhanced access to bike paths and the Corner Brook Stream Trail network.
Continue reading at Source - The Western Star

Old Posted Sep 10, 2010, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Sir Wilfred Grenfell College Renamed

Sir Wilfred Grenfell College officially has a new name. The facility will now be known as Grenfell Campus, Memorial University of Newfoundland. Vice-President Dr. Holly Pike says the Board of Regents met Thursday in St. John's and made the decision. It's been talked about for a while and the public was given the opportunity to offer suggestions.

Sir Wilfred Grenfell was a doctor who came to this province in the 1800s with the goal of improving the lives of coastal people and fishermen. Dr. Pike says it was obvious people didn't want to forget his legacy and she says the next step is to highlight the new name. Dr. Pike says having a new name is an important step in the colleges strives for more autonomy.
http://vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?mn=2&id=8863

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 7:35 PM

Last August I went home to spend some time with my family. I got a chance to check in with the new city hall and here's what I thought of the new building:

1) When you drive up on Main Street which is split into two streets, the building looked so intimidating to me.

2) While driving around the building, it looked so good.

3) The location was perfect because it was behind busy West Street.

4) I think the new building will serve people in Corner Brook well in a long term.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 7:42 PM

^No photos?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 9:03 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

I found some good photos at the following link.

Photo by Tom Cochrane | July 14th, 2010

Source, with pictures:
http://cornerbrooker.com/2010/07/cit...ion-in-photos/

Last edited by Architype; Oct 26, 2010 at 9:14 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces