HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Jun 5, 2006, 4:13 AM

Well, I go by 1990 to 2000 census official numbers and they show population declines in a vast majority of neighborhoods on the east north of Interstate 29.

2000 to 2004 numbers are not official census bureau numbers they are from the city planners. The census does not take population numbers by census tracts yearly, but they do give estimates for cities, counties and states every year.

For example, the city planning department (correct me if I am wrong) I believe says theirs 102,000 people living in Fargo and the Census Bureau official estimate for 2004 was just over 91,000 people.

So obviously the city planners numbers are 11,000 people over the census bureau's numbers.

I dont understand this would mean the census bureau's estimate is 10% below the actual cities population?

Last edited by Midwesterner19; Jun 5, 2006 at 4:23 AM.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2006, 4:16 AM
still here

Yah, I just that was unbelievable. Almost 1,000,000 to the metro area of Fargo, North Dakota. Pmmmmmmp. North Dakota for crying out loud. But Fargo is doing well.

In another thread someone showed me that North Dakota is out of the negative numbers. That meaning North Dakota isn't losing people. The states that started to lose people were New York, Massachusetts, and Rhode Island.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2006, 4:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileyBoy
I have nothing wrong with Midwesterner contributing to this board, it's just that sometimes (actually, almost always ) he has the wrong info and stats. Fargo-Moorhead is in a lot better shape than Midwesterner thinks it is. I'm kind of a stats nut, so I always am looking for new news and stats and figures and such, so I'm pretty much on the ball. There's a lot of new info coming out every year, so it can be hard to keep track of all that.
I think Fargo is in good shape economically. The unemployment rate is low around 3%, which is well below the national average. Its a fairly diverse economy for being an area of 200,000 people.

The neighborhoods and infrastrcuture are not in good shape.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2006, 4:21 AM
still here

Well I think I'm gonna take off. Buh Bye. I'll post some more stuff tomorrow afternoon or evening. I'm driving back from Lincoln so I'll post later in the day.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2006, 4:21 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterner19
Well, I go by 1990 to 2000 census official numbers and they show population declines in a vast majority of neighborhoods on the east north of Interstate 29.

2000 to 2004 numbers are not official census bureau numbers they are from the city planners. The census does not take population numbers by census tracts yearly, but they do give estimates for cities, counties and states every year.

For example, the city planning department (correct me if I am wrong) I believe says theirs 102,000 people living in Fargo and the Census Bureau official estimate for 2004 was just over 91,000 people.

So obviously the city planners numbers are 11,000 people over the census bureau's numbers.

I dont understand this would mean the census bureau's estimate is 10% below the actual cities population?
The Census Bureau is NOTORIOUS for undercounting when it comes to estimates. It's even worse in Canada for their actual censuses (censii??). I talked to the person at the city planning office who gave me the figure in my sig line, and he told me that the Census got it WAAAAYYY off in their 2004 estimate. He told me that they did their thorough homework, and that it was the most realistic number for May 1, 2005. He says the actual city governments of cities in the US are far more qualified to obtain estimates information than the Census Bureau is. Apparently the Census Bureau uses one type of formula in some certain categories and uses that for every single town and city in the US, regardless of situation when coming up with estimates.

I just wish the city of Fargo would actually PUBLISH these annual estimates for the public to see, and not hoard it away as some type of classified information.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2006, 4:23 AM
FargoMoorhead comin at ya

That's the Sioux Falls post were someone else started questioning Midwesterner's figures.

Midwesterner, I don't necessarily go with exactly what the Census estimates are either, they usually ALWAYS tend to UNDERESTIMATE this region. We won't know the truth for another 4 years, but then again, even those figures can be questioned and argued and apparently changed if a city requests a re-evaluation of the numbers.

* modified : Damn Smiley, you beat me to it AGAIN!!! Go speedracer, Go speedracer Go!

Old Posted Jun 5, 2006, 4:25 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterner19
The neighborhoods and infrastrcuture are not in good shape.
I'm gonna have to disagree on that. Our neighbourhoods are in a lot better shape than most cities I've been to. (Have you been to Grand Forks?? St. Cloud?? Duluth??) And our roads are in REALLY good condition. Solid concrete roads for almost all major arterials. I'm also noticing less potholes than when I moved here. Look at a city like Winnipeg. Now THAT'S horrible infrastructure.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2006, 4:26 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoBison
That's the Sioux Falls post were someone else started questioning Midwesterner's figures.

Midwesterner, I don't necessarily go with exactly what the Census estimates are either, they usually ALWAYS tend to UNDERESTIMATE this region. We won't know the truth for another 4 years, but then again, even those figures can be questioned and argued and apparently changed if a city requests a re-evaluation of the numbers.

* modified : Damn Smiley, you beat me to it AGAIN!!! Go speedracer, Go speedracer Go!
I type 65 wpm.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2006, 4:28 AM

Me too, but I'm always in another thread and your almost finished with your post by the time I hit "Add Reply". Anyways, Kudos to the speedy.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2006, 5:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoBison

From the 2004 City of Fargo housing study...

"Despite the long-established pattern of strong growth, the official data services have had a tendency to underestimate the pace of growth in the City. Estimates in the late 1990s failed to reflect the growth that was eventually documented by the 2000 Census. Likewise, US Census Bureau estimates released since 2000 show very limited population growth between 2000 and 2002, and an actual loss of population between 2001 and 2002. While we cannot prove or disprove the Census Bureau's 2002 population estimate, the information that we have collected would not support a significant slowdown in growth for the City, or an actual loss of population since 2001."

Here is the link to the very long PDF file...
http://www.ci.fargo.nd.us/Planning/H...dy.pdf#search=

The Census estimates aren't very accurate and the only numbers I really care about are the official ones that come out every 10 years. The census estimate of Fargo adding about 500 people since 2000 is complete bull.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2006, 6:23 AM

I agree, I can't remember where I dug them up, but the whole metro, on average, has been adding around 2,000/year. So, yes, 500, even if just in Fargo, is indeed balogna.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2006, 7:35 PM
Honored Member

Hey BigTicket, thanks for digging out that pdf file about the census estimates. I knew there was proof of that on the city website somewhere, but I couldn't find it. Thanks.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2006, 11:50 PM
still here

I'm glad there are so many F-M forumers to find stuff interesting about Fargo-Moorhead.

There is a new building being constructed in front of Lowe's and it looks like a restaurant so I think I'm going to either check it out tonight or tomorrow to see if there is a sign that says what it's going to be and then I'll tell you guys.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2006, 11:55 PM

Hey F-Misthebest, I believe that is going to be the new Texas Roadhouse Steak place, I remember someone telling me that a while back. It sure sounds good and it will give us another choice besides Famous Dave's for BBQ. Here's their website....

http://www.texasroadhouse.com/

Here's the website for the one in Bismarck... I would venture a guess that our's will look similar...

http://www.texasroadhouse.com/newsit...ex.php?rid=373

Old Posted Jun 6, 2006, 1:12 AM
Honored Member

They're also building one in Sioux Falls, if I'm not mistaken. I saw on the website that theirs will be done in June. Hopefully ours will be completed early this fall.

I think I might go there for my birthday in September (If it's open by then).

Old Posted Jun 6, 2006, 2:19 AM

Not sure if this was posted yet... I can't believe I missed this in the papers...

Craig McEwen and Teri Finneman
The Forum - 05/20/2006

Fargo-based Vision Bank has applied with the state of North Dakota to open a bank in north Fargo, said Dan Carey, bank president.

Work on the $1.5 million, 3,200-square-foot bank at 1321 21st Ave. N. is scheduled to begin in the next 45 to 60 days, with opening slated for this fall, Carey said.

The new bank will employ about seven full- and part-time workers.

It will be Vision Bank’s second full-service bank. The first, at 3000 25th St. S., opened in April 2003.

Vision Bank also has a mortgage and loan office at 3301 S. University Drive.

I would also keep my eyes on the Blackridge Financial Group. They are the same guys who built Community First Banks into a $2.5 billion bank before it was sold off to Bank of the West. I expect many great things to come from both Vision Bank and Blackridge Financial.

Last edited by NanoBison; Jun 6, 2006 at 3:33 AM.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2006, 4:21 AM
still here

You know where there was an A&W and Long John Silvers on 19th Ave, well they're turning it into a Bremmer Bank.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2006, 4:50 PM
still here

Well, West Acres seems to be doing well. We just got a Coldwater Creek we're getting a Hot Topic and there is roomers of a Hollister going in or if the new mall goes in on 52nd, it will go in there.

Who's all going to the grand opening of the new Scheels store on July 1? I think I'll be there.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2006, 5:17 PM
still here

I just found out that the average income for a Fargoan is $51,087. That's pretty good I think.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2006, 10:16 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-Misthebest
I just found out that the average income for a Fargoan is $51,087. That's pretty good I think.
Really?? Is that per-household?? Where did you hear that?? DAYUM!!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest