HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 1:36 AM

Portland Art Museum Rothko Pavilion | Proposed

Portland Art Museum plans multimillion-dollar expansion, Mark Rothko pavilion
By Amy Wang | The Oregonian/OregonLive
on October 06, 2016 at 1:00 PM, updated October 06, 2016 at 2:03 PM

http://www.oregonlive.com/art/index....um_rothko.html

Quote:
The legacy of Mark Rothko, one of the 20th century's leading artists, is coming home to Portland.

The Portland Art Museum on Thursday announced that as part of a major expansion, it will construct a three-story, glass-walled Rothko Pavilion that will connect the museum's two buildings in the South Park Blocks. The pavilion will house major Rothko paintings that will be loaned by the artist's children, Christopher Rothko and Kate Rothko Prizel, on a rotating basis during a 20-year partnership.

The Rothko Pavilion is the cornerstone of a $75 million capital and endowment campaign that the museum also announced Thursday. In a prepared statement, the museum said it has raised $21.75 million toward its $50 million capital goal and $5.4 million toward its $25 million endowment goal.

...(continues)

Last edited by MarkDaMan; Oct 7, 2016 at 1:48 AM.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 2:09 AM

Great to see PAM expanding. A couple thoughts:
  1. I've always thought it strange that there's nothing of signficance already named after Rothko in Portland.
  2. There are things I like about the Mark Building, but it is not at all obvious how to get to it from the other galleries. I'm glad that they'll address that.
  3. Good luck to the architects getting this past the Historic Landmarks Commission.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 2:44 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

This is fantastic news, but I will be sorry to see the loss of the walking path where SW Madison would be.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 3:02 AM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Great to see PAM expanding. A couple thoughts:
  1. I've always thought it strange that there's nothing of signficance already named after Rothko in Portland.
  2. There are things I like about the Mark Building, but it is not at all obvious how to get to it from the other galleries. I'm glad that they'll address that.
  3. Good luck to the architects getting this past the Historic Landmarks Commission.
Wonderful news! But first, designers must get rid of the glazed tower inserted into the Belluschi wing's side of the addition.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 3:25 AM

You should have seen the first version that they came up with for fundraising purposes. This looks pretty decent.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2016, 10:31 PM

see below for a piece from places/time which very well aligns with my feelings about this expansion:

Quote:
The Portland Art Museum has officially revealed renderings for its long-planned infill project between the original 1932 Pietro Belluschi building and the adjacent Mark Building, which was designed by Frederick Fritsch in 1924 and remodelled in 2005 by SERA and Ann Beha Architects. This new three-story connection has been designed by Chicago-based Vinci Hamp Architects, who have done previous work for the Portland Art Museum in the creation of several temporary art exhibition spaces. This addition is a big step up from those infill exhibition partitions for the architects, and the firm’s minimalistic, neo-modernist style appears to have had a difficult time adapting to this larger role. Vinci Hamp are known mostly for historic renovations and not new construction, which could be the reason for this disconnect. Regardless, the new dedicated space looks completely practical and utilitarian for the Museum’s purpose, but there is a definite lack of energy, expression, and contrast; the things that had defined Mark Rothko’s work throughout his life.
read the whole thing here:

https://placesovertime.wordpress.com...09/multiforms/

Brian Libby's probably blown a few gaskets by now because this is not being done By Brad Cloepfil/Allied Works, and I would have to agree with that sentiment in this case. strange choice by PAM.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2016, 10:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric cantona View Post
see below for a piece from places/time which very well aligns with my feelings about this expansion:

read the whole thing here:

https://placesovertime.wordpress.com...09/multiforms/

Brian Libby's probably blown a few gaskets by now because this is not being done By Brad Cloepfil/Allied Works, and I would have to agree with that sentiment in this case. strange choice by PAM.

Brian Libby is a cry baby

Old Posted Oct 14, 2016, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innovativethinking View Post
Brian Libby is a cry baby
"cry baby" is redundant

Old Posted Oct 14, 2016, 7:49 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop View Post
"cry baby" is redundant
Well he's a complainer how about that

Old Posted Oct 14, 2016, 3:00 PM
Semi-Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by innovativethinking View Post
Well he's a complainer how about that
Interesting that you would take a hard stance on complainers.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 6:11 AM

Quote:
Museum expansion would prohibit biking, limit walking access near South Park Blocks

A planned expansion of the Portland Art Museum will (PAM) come at a cost of $50 million in new construction — and it would also come at the cost of public access to our city streets.

As part of their plans to build the “Rothko Pavillion,” PAM has asked the City of Portland for permission to close an existing public right-of-way through a plaza between two of their buildings that connects SW 10th and Park at Madison Street. The proposal would add a significant new structure to the museum’s footprint and it has architects and cultural backers very excited. But some advocates are concerned that the new plans will further limit walking and rolling in a part of town where street connections are invaluable.

Places where it’s easy and attractive to walk and roll have small blocks with lots of connections between them. The tighter the grid, the thinking goes, the better walkability a place has. As city blocks become “superblocks,” human-powered trip times increase, which makes walking and biking less attractive.
...continues at BikePortland.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 10:56 PM
A before E

Quote:
This is sort of a non-issue. It makes sense to connect these two blocks together, and it doesn't really create too much of an issue since the blocks in Portland are already pretty small. Plus, the blocks west of the art museum are already long blocks because Madison ends at the museum.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 9:07 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
This is sort of a non-issue. It makes sense to connect these two blocks together, and it doesn't really create too much of an issue since the blocks in Portland are already pretty small. Plus, the blocks west of the art museum are already long blocks because Madison ends at the museum.
I agree.

I walk through this space nearly every day and I'd be sad to see it go, but this does seem like a better use of the space. It's certainly not an important corridor, especially since it doesn't continue on the next block across 11th.

As it is, the space seems mostly wasted.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2017, 12:59 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
I agree.

I walk through this space nearly every day and I'd be sad to see it go, but this does seem like a better use of the space. It's certainly not an important corridor, especially since it doesn't continue on the next block across 11th.

As it is, the space seems mostly wasted.
I never cared for how the space currently makes the two parts of the museum feel like separate buildings. This seems like something that should have happened when they expanded into the other building. I think this pavilion will make the museum feel more complete.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Art Museum’s easement expansion request on hold amid stiff opposition at first Council hearing

The Portland Art Museum says their $50 million expansion plans would create one of our city’s best public spaces — but it’s the existing public space they want to close that has put their project on shaky ground.

Portland City Council held its first hearing on PAM’s Rothko Pavillion project last week. At issue is whether or not the City should amend an existing public easement on SW Madison between Park and 10th that runs between the museum’s two main buildings. PAM’s new pavillion aims to connect the buildings with a new structure that would display art, host events, and serve as its main entrance. The public would be allowed to move through the new structure without buying a ticket; but access would be limited to museum hours (10:00 am to 5:00 pm Sunday through Wednesday and 10:00 to 8:00 pm Thursday and Friday) and people riding bicycles or walking dogs would be completely prohibited.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 7:10 AM

Quote:
Portland Art Museum to unveil new plans for Rothko Pavillion expansion

After it faced stiff opposition at a City Council hearing in April, the Portland Art Museum has revised plans for their $50 million Rothko Pavillion expansion.

Seven months later they’re ready to share a new one.

At issue is how the plans will impact Madision Plaza, a public easement between existing museum buildings. Madison Plaza is considered an important link in downtown bicycling and walking connectivity.

Earlier this year, PAM asked the City of Portland to amend the existing easement for SW Madison Street between Park and 10th. Initial plans for the new pavillion would have created a new structure to display art, host events, and serve as the museum’s main entrance. The pavillion would be open to the public for free, but access would be limited to museum hours (10:00 am to 5:00 pm Sunday through Wednesday and 10:00 to 8:00 pm Thursday and Friday) and people riding bicycles or walking dogs would be completely prohibited.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Portland Art Museum Adapts Expansion Plan To Win Over Critics

A year ago, the Portland Art Museum announced plans for a new glass structure called the Rothko Pavilion, named after the famous abstract painter who grew up in Portland. It was designed to connect the museum’s two buildings, but it became a flashpoint when pedestrian, bicycle and disability rights advocates said it would block the public passageway between the buildings. On Dec. 7, the museum will head back to City Hall with a revised plan it hopes will address critics’ concerns.

The Portland Art Museum is a warren of floors and rooms that are split between two buildings on two separate blocks, with only an underground passage connecting them. It is tricky to navigate for the spriest visitor, but for those with mobility challenges, it can be downright burdensome.

“The only entrance is the ramp that we just took, and as you’re coming through the plaza, you don’t see that ramp there, all you see is the steps leading up to the entry,” said Joseph Lowe, a longtime Oregon disability and consumer rights advocate who has served on and chaired dozens of committees.
...continues at OPB.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 6:34 AM
A before E

Quote:
...continues at OPB.
This whole accessibility issue with this pavilion really annoys me because this should be a non-issue....not the part of the article about wheelchair accessibility, that is a real issue that should be addressed in the museum. I didn't realize how bad it was until reading the one man's journey through the museum in a wheelchair, I would be cussing the entire time having to deal with what he deal with.

With the pavilion part somehow making it impossible for people to cross through, that is BS for a number of reasons. First, Portland's blocks are small, just go 200 feet in either direction and you can go around the building, it isn't some 1000 feet long building that is a physical barrier in the city. Also if you walk through the cut through that is there now, you hit a dead end at 11th because there is buildings in the way blocking anyone from walking all the way to 14th, so it isn't like this is some main pedestrian walk way. Basically this is just a handful of people that like being able to cut through this area and don't want to have to adjust their walking route by a small amount to make the museum better.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 3:44 AM

Portland Art Museum gets the City Council's approval to enclose public space as part of renovation
Updated 7:21 PM; Posted 6:55 PM
By Jessica Floum jfloum@oregonian.com
The Oregonian/OregonLive

http://www.oregonlive.com/politics/i...2box_targeted_

Quote:
The Portland Art Museum got the go ahead from the City Council on Wednesday to build a glass pavilion in what is now a public walkway, making possible museum officials' plans to connect their two buildings.

The decision was not without controversy.

Commissioner Amanda Fritz voted against allowing enclosure of the easement, making the decision a 3-1 vote. Commissioner Dan Saltzman, who originally brought the proposal before council in April, was absent.

"The benefits of the museum are obvious and many," Fritz said. "The benefits to the community of closing off the right of way are undetermined at best, and I'm disappointed that we're not able to get to more of a win-win situation."
...(continues)

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 7:33 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

I wish the city would make a deal with the art museum. In exchange for allowing them to take over the pedestrian walkway, they should widen the sidewalk along Jefferson from 10th to just past the bus stop.

The sidewalk is congested there, and the art museum is badly underutilizing the space they bricked off between the sidewalk and their building. It has a sculpture and a few trees that look more like sculpted shrubs? Please. Push back the brick wall a few feet to widen the sidewalk.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment