HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 4:31 PM
Closed account

Omro, have you tried www.mls.ca to look at houses?

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 4:48 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMe View Post
Omro, have you tried www.mls.ca to look at houses?
Yeap, did so when we were looking for houses for my sibling, but haven't so much recently because it's depressing to see a house or condo that I would love to have and not be able to buy it NOW!

Some lovely houses and condos were on the market in April. Just hope that $150k will still buy me more than a rabbit hutch early next year! My current flat is a 2 bedroom, ground floor with a small garden, and about 600 square feet, so anything that size or bigger will suit me as long as I don't have to pay anything or much on a mortgage.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 5:01 PM

What a cool thread.

I didn't move nearly as far (from Toronto to Hamilton), but I can give you an immigrant's perspective on the Hammer.

There are very few local employment options for city-centre type jobs (finance, IT, etc). I moved my office to Hamilton when I came here five years ago, but that's an eternity in my field, and I've switched jobs twice since then. Both have come with a long commute.

We first moved to the south east, in the little pocket of homes between Ottawa st and Gage park, south of King. The immediate neighbourhood was fantastic, the people are the salt of the earth and the housing is great. Unfortunately it is surrounded by run-down crap. We moved because we were sick of having to drive everywhere, even to get a (non-timmie's) cup of coffee. I know Ottawa st. has it's defenders, but it is pretty well useless as a neighbourhood high street.

We moved to the southwest, near the top of Locke. Housing costs are about double what it would cost in the southeast for a comparable home. The neighbourhood is simply fantastic. At the local playground, I have yet to run into a young family that hasn't moved from Toronto (though that might be a negative to some people on this board ), which I think demonstrates a very real measure of the bright prospects for the lower city.

We explored the idea of moving back to Toronto, but after a year in the southwest, we can't think of a reason why we'd bother. We love it.

Hamilton wasn't supposed to be the end of the line for us, we were planning on moving on to London (the original one ) and Vancouver eventually. But the value here is real, and we are making the Hammer our home-base, even when we do some overseas stints.

Good luck and Welcome!

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omro View Post
Can someone explain to me why they have a "local" news section that rarely seems to have Hamilton news in? Unless that's provincial news.
Something those on the board have seen me rant on before.

It's because The Spec is owned by an absentee publisher, Torstar. To maximize profits it's more cost effective to run the same news piece (or a slight variation) across all of their publications than it is to staff a proper local newsroom.

Unfortunately, local newsrooms have been hollowed out and as a result we get less quality local news, and investigate reporting is extinct.

As a new arrival (2 months ago) to Hamilton, I can say there's lots to explore and do. Since moving to Hamilton we've really enjoyed ourselves.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 5:24 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Yeap, did so when we were looking for houses for my sibling, but haven't so much recently because it's depressing to see a house or condo that I would love to have and not be able to buy it NOW!
I know what you mean. I would love to move to the country. I have a tiny house that is only 625 sq ft. And would love a larger house.
But presently having some health issues which is making me think about moving to the country might not be so good now.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 5:29 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by I, Sinclair View Post
What a cool thread.

I didn't move nearly as far (from Toronto to Hamilton), but I can give you an immigrant's perspective on the Hammer.

There are very few local employment options for city-centre type jobs (finance, IT, etc). I moved my office to Hamilton when I came here five years ago, but that's an eternity in my field, and I've switched jobs twice since then. Both have come with a long commute.

We first moved to the south east, in the little pocket of homes between Ottawa st and Gage park, south of King. The immediate neighbourhood was fantastic, the people are the salt of the earth and the housing is great. Unfortunately it is surrounded by run-down crap. We moved because we were sick of having to drive everywhere, even to get a (non-timmie's) cup of coffee. I know Ottawa st. has it's defenders, but it is pretty well useless as a neighbourhood high street.

We moved to the southwest, near the top of Locke. Housing costs are about double what it would cost in the southeast for a comparable home. The neighbourhood is simply fantastic. At the local playground, I have yet to run into a young family that hasn't moved from Toronto (though that might be a negative to some people on this board ), which I think demonstrates a very real measure of the bright prospects for the lower city.

We explored the idea of moving back to Toronto, but after a year in the southwest, we can't think of a reason why we'd bother. We love it.

Hamilton wasn't supposed to be the end of the line for us, we were planning on moving on to London (the original one ) and Vancouver eventually. But the value here is real, and we are making the Hammer our home-base, even when we do some overseas stints.

Good luck and Welcome!

good post.
I'd also like to add that neighbourhoods just north of 'Locke South' still have some decent prices, although not much can be had for under $200,000 these days.
It's still cheaper than the southwest and closer to great parks - Victoria Park and Dundurn. Also, the waterfront is nearby and will be more accessible with a new pedestrian bridge being built at the north end of Locke St. It's a 10 minute walk to Hess Village, the Market, Copps, Jackson Square (hopefully someday that'll actually be an incentive) and James North. The Southwest can be a longer walk to all of these places unless you live in the extreme northern part of the neighbourhood just south of Main St. Expect house prices to continue going up here, as they are still cheaper than the southwest and westdale.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 5:29 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
I know what you mean. I would love to move to the country. I have a tiny house that is only 625 sq ft. And would love a larger house.
But presently having some health issues which is making me think about moving to the country might not be so good now.
Moves are very stressful. You need to be relatively well health wise or get a lot of support. You never know, the change of scenery and atmosphere might do your health the world of good.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 5:38 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
There seemed to be a lot of offices and office workers, there must be some turn over in those jobs?

Quote:
My family were originally on Balsam near Gage, which seemed really nice there. My Mum was raving about the houses, to the English the style is very attractive and quaint. For me that area would be too far from downtown. I want to be around activity, I guess.

Quote:
Surely there is nothing wrong with people moving to Hamilton bringing new blood and new money and a will to improve the city?

Quote:
Vancouver is lovely and when I was originally told that the family were moving to Hamilton from there I was very upset. The people in BC were incredibly friendly! The scenery is spectacular. To go from London to a city surrounded by ocean and mountains, it's quite wow. BUT, the costs just were unfeasible. I'd be going from a hutch with a big mortgage to a hutch with another big mortgage.

Quote:
Good luck and Welcome!
Thanks and I look forward to my move, even though it's 6 months or more away

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 5:41 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
good post.
I'd also like to add that neighbourhoods just north of 'Locke South' still have some decent prices, although not much can be had for under $200,000 these days.
It's still cheaper than the southwest and closer to great parks - Victoria Park and Dundurn. Also, the waterfront is nearby and will be more accessible with a new pedestrian bridge being built at the north end of Locke St. It's a 10 minute walk to Hess Village, the Market, Copps, Jackson Square (hopefully someday that'll actually be an incentive) and James North. The Southwest can be a longer walk to all of these places unless you live in the extreme northern part of the neighbourhood just south of Main St. Expect house prices to continue going up here, as they are still cheaper than the southwest and westdale.
I'll just have to hope that prices don't leap in the next six+ months.

Is Jackson Square is that the undercover mall type shopping centre with the Farmer's Market? Other than the Farmer's Market that shopping centre was naff. It and the building opposite were this really grim dark brick and very enclosing and blah. I'd knock them both down and redo that area.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 5:43 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Moves are very stressful. You need to be relatively well health wise or get a lot of support. You never know, the change of scenery and atmosphere might do your health the world of good.
Well, unfortunatly I am not able to do much at all at present. So I would not able to do any packing and repairing the house right now.

I can't wait to head to the RBG trails to hand feed the wild birds like I used to do.

As you can tell, frustration is setting in since I can't do much right now.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 5:51 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Well, unfortunatly I am not able to do much at all at present. So I would not able to do any packing and repairing the house right now.

I can't wait to head to the RBG trails to hand feed the wild birds like I used to do.

As you can tell, frustration is setting in since I can't do much right now.
If I were you, I'd work out how much you could sell your place for and how much you could buy your new place for and hopefully if you can buy for less than you sell for, get a short term loan to pay for someone to do the packing and repairing for you, take all that stress away from you.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 5:52 PM

omro, don't overlook Corktown (south of Main, east of James) -- it's still affordable and is a pretty interesting neighbourhood.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 5:56 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by holymoly View Post
omro, don't overlook Corktown (south of Main, east of James) -- it's still affordable and is a pretty interesting neighbourhood.
I'll have to dig out Flar's photo tour map with the neighbourhood names on it.

Are there any online maps with the neighbourhood names on them?

I must admit I love how the city had all these little "towns and villages" inside it

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 6:00 PM
Wiki Ricki

Quote:
No harm in trying the Spec. I've nothing against the paper, I read it while I was in Hamilton. I just don't like their web-site. It seems a little cluttered and full of colourful links to articles that are incredibly out of date. Can someone explain to me why they have a "local" news section that rarely seems to have Hamilton news in? Unless that's provincial news.

I like RTH because the site has a clean uncluttered look and the blogs are easy to get at and I enjoy reading the comments, even the more inflamatory ones Does RTH come out in print form?
Welcome to Hamilton omro,

The Hamilton Spectator is a great newspaper and in my humble opinion the best in Canada but just like you I am not a huge fan of the online version especially because of some of the phoney polls they have there where it's easy for any one person to alter the results of just so that they can help sway public opinion on whatever subject matter they are asking you to vote on.

Hamilton is not as open or "gay friendly" as Toronto but if I were in your shoes looking to move here into town I would pick the West-end around Locke Street South as that is the area I grew up in and whenever I take a walk around the area you will find quite a few rainbow coloured flags there.

Don't forget to check out our 80+ waterfalls.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 6:00 PM

Quote:
There seemed to be a lot of offices and office workers, there must be some turn over in those jobs?
This has been my experience anyhow, as a wireless IT guy, but it might not be typical of other professions.

There is a commuter rail line to downtown Toronto, but it is woefully primitive by european standards.

Quote:
Surely there is nothing wrong with people moving to Hamilton bringing new blood and new money and a will to improve the city?
I don't know what the English equivalent is, but Toronto and Hamilton are like Edinburgh and Glasgow. 50 miles (well more like 60km) and a world apart. Lots of bluster from Hamilton and lots of disdain from Toronto.

It is a very positive thing for the city, and the rivalry is purely superficial (except for football, where it is clearly a matter of life or death). Hamilton and Toronto are becoming more integrated economically and socially every year.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 6:09 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomtown_Hamilton View Post
Welcome to Hamilton omro,

The Hamilton Spectator is a great newspaper and in my humble opinion the best in Canada but just like you I am not a huge fan of the online version especially because of some of the phoney polls they have there where it's easy for any one person to alter the results of just so that they can help sway public opinion on whatever subject matter they are asking you to vote on.

Hamilton is not as open or "gay friendly" as Toronto but if I were in your shoes looking to move here into town I would pick the West-end around Locke Street South as that is the area I grew up in and whenever I take a walk around the area you will find quite a few rainbow coloured flags there.

Don't forget to check out our 80+ waterfalls.
I liked the print form of the Spec, I just think they need to slap their webmaster and redesign it.

Definitely thinking about the West-End, but all depends on house prices at the time when I do sell up. The credit crunch has hit London hard and I've lost thousands on my rental property in the last six months, if I lose more on my own property when I come to sell it, I might have no money to spend on anywhere decent If I'd sold both 6-9 months ago I'd have had a good $100k more to spend. Grrrrrr.

Surely everyone knows that a city only gets "cool" when the gays adopt it

I like waterfalls :-)

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 6:13 PM
Wiki Ricki

Quote:
I liked the print form of the Spec, I just think they need to slap their webmaster and redesign it.

Definitely thinking about the West-End, but all depends on house prices at the time when I do sell up. The credit crunch has hit London hard and I've lost thousands on my rental property in the last six months, if I lose more on my own property when I come to sell it, I might have no money to spend on anywhere decent
If you're looking for some really good real estate deals in town check out the Corktown neighbourhood plus anything in the North-end or along Barton Street East where the houses are extremely under-valued but with the re-construction of the Centre Mall taking place you can bet that property values will rise in-and-around that area of that Mall after the re-development of it is complete. So anything North of Barton Street and the Corktown neighbourhood.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 6:14 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
This has been my experience anyhow, as a wireless IT guy, but it might not be typical of other professions.

There is a commuter rail line to downtown Toronto, but it is woefully primitive by european standards.

I don't know what the English equivalent is, but Toronto and Hamilton are like Edinburgh and Glasgow. 50 miles (well more like 60km) and a world apart. Lots of bluster from Hamilton and lots of disdain from Toronto.

It is a very positive thing for the city, and the rivalry is purely superficial (except for football, where it is clearly a matter of life or death). Hamilton and Toronto are becoming more integrated economically and socially every year.
I'll spend my first year as a student, so hopefully the job thing won't be too huge and issue when I graduate. Though I will have to work on the side.

I hope that Hamilton and Toronto get more connected. I'm currently reading through the thread about the transit changes, The future of Hamilton's public transit , I'm on page 20ish of more than 40ish pages lol. It's very interesting reading. But I am enjoying this thread a lot too, so I am skipping back and forth.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 6:17 PM
Closed account

Omro, I haven't checked the money exchange rates recently, but is it possible you might gain on your dollar with the exchange rates after you move?

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Surely everyone knows that a city only gets "cool" when the gays adopt it
Yep, we certainly do. LOL

We followed a gay friend to Hamilton. He moved back to Hamilton (he grew up in Hamilton) last summer after time in New York and Toronto.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion