HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Jun 6, 2007, 2:04 PM
silly slackergeek

Quote:
OH, and by the way, Westfield took over in '98 not early 90's.
You mean westfield turned DTP into a dump in even less time? Impressive!

Listen - I appreciate your passionate defenses of westfield, but the place is an unmitigated disaster and it became one under westfield's leadership. If anything, downtown's population has grown since '98 and much of it with reasonably affluent people, yet downtown plaza has continued its precipitous drop to the bottom - all on westfield's watch.

How could it have been successful ten years ago with a smaller and less affluent base? It looks and feels abandoned and forgotten. A decaying hulk despite a blossoming downtown surrounding it. Westfield gets very aggressive if someone proposes competing retail, but very slow and timid when it comes to improving its own product.

They have simply not been a good partner and the time is long overdue to force them to put up or shut up. If they see downtown as just another neighborhood and Roseville as their regional flagship then they need to be replaced with a team not suffering from such a poisoned relationship with the city and one that will put downtown first.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2007, 3:43 PM

I agree 100%

Old Posted Jun 6, 2007, 5:45 PM
Here we stAy

Same here. Well said.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2007, 6:04 PM
CHACUN SON GOÛT

My sentiments exactly, Right on!!

Old Posted Jun 6, 2007, 6:28 PM
Repeat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericm2031 View Post
Believe me, Westfield isn't trying to do anything to harm the mall.
I think the point many on here are trying to make is that Westfield isn't trying at all, leading to further damage. The building is hardly maintained. You can count more drops of bird shit than people shopping any given time of the day. I've used the restrooms there as soon as they've opened and they look and smell like they haven't been mopped in a month.

Adding a Target and a cheap food court won't make many people from the 'burbs want to visit. At this point it would be better if Westfield sold the damn building and the land it sits on, demolish everything, and a developer can come along and put something that will attract people into downtown--and encourage others to live in developments going up nearby.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2007, 6:48 PM

How much do you think Westfield cound get for the mall? Wouldn't it by nice if they sold it to a company like Caruso Affiliated who did the Grove in LA or Federal Realty who did Santa Row in SJ and do something like that here -but with more housing of course? Has anyone at City ever suggested they sell to somone who be interested in Downtown?

Last edited by ozone; Jun 6, 2007 at 7:04 PM.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2007, 9:04 PM

Sometimes a mall is just done and it doesn't matter who owns it or what they do with it. When it's done it's done.

It's not a badge of shame or sign of civic failure that a mall becomes obsolete. Ever big city has these. There's an interesting website called www.deadmalls.com dedicated to celebrating the history and memory of defunct regional malls. Every part of the country is well represented there.

When a mall is done spending money to fix it up usually just prolongs the end by a couple years. Once things hit the skids dramatic reversals of fortune aren't common. (Although Country Club Plaza on Watt was on the brink once and has been brought back to life.)

We've got new retail coming into the railyards. Maybe a better mall than DTP or some other form of concentrated reatail will go in there. If DTP was torn down it would be a perfect spot for a large high density/mixed use project. Six twenty-story towers on DTP's site would make for a livelier downtown neighborhood than two 53 story towers on one city block, imo. I know....I've said this all before.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2007, 10:11 PM

Well there are more enlightened mall developers -like the two I mentioned who mixed-use retail centers along the lines of a traditional city. While Westfield has invested in downtown malls they take a completely anti-urban approach. I don't think tearing it down is an option considering the investment the city has made and revenue it recieves. But I do think it could be remodeled in a way that would make it less isolated, more a part of the city and housing could be added. But of course Westfield is never going to be the ones to do that.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2007, 10:21 PM
silly slackergeek

I think DTP is an ideal candidate for starting over. Force westfield's hand - starting by making it clear a target and a couple more fast food joints does not warrant a subsidy of any kind. Make it clear that the city prefers they get out of downtown. Because they can't take what's left of a once thriving center with them, start up the bulldozers. Find a developer who will put Sacramento first and offer them outstanding incentives to build a world-class project. Pay miserable westfield off and send them packing, with luck, never to return. Send in the aforementioned bulldozers. Add explosives and a fumigator to remove the westfield stench. Build a world class, phased, mixed use paradise that's well-integrated with the city and includes 3k housing units, 700k SF/office, 800 hotel rooms and 1.2 mil. SF retail/recreation with six towers of up to 36 stories.

The air in Sacramento will smell sweeter, the birds will sing more happily and there will be no ugly red “W” anywhere to spoil your view.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2007, 3:11 AM

I'm convinced that DTP isn't done. I think a makeover with expansion and upgrade would do wonders, especially with a rejuvenated K St. I think this would be a good attraction for folks to want to come live downtown, and be within walking distance to a showplace mall. Focus on the positive, Indianapolis was able to get an exceptional downtown mall project done, and it is a real centerpiece of their significant inner city growth.

I've been in the Indy mall, and it is busy and spectacular. Indy is evolving in many of the ways folks here want Sacramento to go, and actually isn't a bad role model.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2007, 4:26 PM
Kodachrome

Developer looks to up investment in K Street's future
Sacramento Business Journal - By Michael Shaw

June 22, 2007

Trancas Ventures is converting this building at 10th and K streets into office condos.
View Larger Private investment could provide a much-needed spark to K Street.

Trancas Ventures Inc., the Napa-based developer that owns two office buildings on K Street and is under contract to buy the Crest Theatre, is looking to purchase more property, city officials said this week.

Trancas, which has reworked areas of San Francisco and San Diego, hasn't asked for city funding and isn't sitting on properties in hope of a big payoff, city officials say.

It's gutting an empty six-story office building at 1001 K St., marketing the floors as office condominiums, building a ground-floor restaurant, and plans to do the same with another office building it owns at 818 K St. after a state tenant moves this fall.

Trancas is expected to close on the Crest Theatre purchase in August, said Greg Levi, a senior vice president with CB Richard Ellis, the listing agent for Trancas' office buildings.

Jim Brennan, president of Trancas, has asked Levi to field questions about the company's properties, though the broker declined to talk about the group's future intentions on K Street.

The city of Sacramento has put about $20 million in public funds into the faded pedestrian thoroughfare by acquiring property at above-market prices and striking deals for upscale retail, entertainment and condo projects.

Yet its most ambitious plans -- those for the 700 and 800 blocks -- stalled after one group of developers rejected a land-swapping deal, prompting the city to sue to enforce it. That suit is still pending.

Trancas' plans, which so far have come with no strings attached, have been welcomed.

"They bring private capital to the table," said Leslie Fritzsche, downtown district manager for the Sacramento Regional Housing Authority. "They haven't asked us for anything."

"We need more of that," said Michael Ault, executive director of the Downtown Sacramento Partnership. "What downtown doesn't need is people buying property and sitting on it."

Trancas can proceed because the market for owner-occupied office space near the Capitol is hot, Levi said, whereas homes, shopping and entertainment might need incentives to locate on K Street.

Trancas bought the 47,000-square-foot former Roos Atkins department store at 1001 K St. in December from St. Anton Partners and Cordano Co. The building once housed the headquarters of former Assembly Speaker Willie Brown.

The company is planning to add more windows to the facade and redesign a deck on the sixth floor, Levi said.

Exteriors will be architecturally consistent with the development across the street to the south, where David Taylor and CIM Group Inc. are building a home for the California Musical Theatre. That project required a $5.75 million city subsidy and eventual transfer of ownership to the developers, though the city will receive proceeds from ticket sales as a return on its investment. Taylor and CIM have proposed a condo development next door to the theater, and they're going through the environmental review process now, Fritzsche said.

The five-story building at 818 K St. that Trancas bought in late 2005 is home to the California Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development until this fall. Levi said lobbyists and associations have expressed interest in both properties, mainly for the proximity to the Capitol.

When the big K Street land-swapping deal was struck last fall between Joe Zeiden, co-owner of the Z Gallerie furniture stores, and a development group including Mohammed "Moe" Mohanna, city leaders said it was important that the K Street revitalization begin at the root of the problem, the 700 and 800 blocks. With plans there halted, revitalization seems to be happening in the other direction, from the east, Levi said.

Mohanna and his partners are accused in a lawsuit filed by the city of breaking the deal that would swap properties along the 700 and 800 blocks with Zeiden and allow development to move forward.

In the past few weeks, the city has turned up the heat on Mohanna, filing legal notices that alert potential buyers or tenants that the properties are subject to a lawsuit.

"We cannot get financing, we cannot get tenants, we cannot sell, we cannot do anything on the 700 block," because of the notices, Mohanna said. His attorneys are fighting them, he said. Mohanna has fired back, accusing the city of wasting money by moving a light-rail transit station from K Street to 7th Street to accommodate Zeiden's store and questioning the Downtown Sacramento Partnership's approval of that move.

Mohanna, meanwhile, is still a member of the partnership, and there has been friction between him and others on the board who blame him for the delays.

Fritzsche said the city is still negotiating outside of court in an attempt to resolve the dispute. Meanwhile, the city has initiated a streetscape improvement that will give the walkway new pavement, benches and trash receptacles.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2007, 5:18 PM
Hindrance to Development

The plans for the Roos-Atkins building look good: a strip of windows on either side of the corner, a shade structure on the roof, and a slight shave-down of the concrete ledge around the roof. They will also strip the paint off (the structure was originally bare concrete) and get rid of some of the tilework and do the ground floor in as much glass as possible, which more closely resembles the original building's appearance. The idea was to create a massive concrete structure that looked like it was floating on a delicate layer of glass.

Sounds like Mohanna's all fired up...he claims he got burned by the city!

Old Posted Jun 22, 2007, 7:38 PM

Looks like the city is going to try and buy the proporties from Mohanna...once and for all, they just need to get this guy out of downtown.

____

http://sacramento.granicus.com/Agend...d=7&event_id=2

Pursuant to Government Code section 54956.8 for a matter pertaining to real property negotiations. Authorization to negotiate with M.H. Mohanna for the acquisition of the properties located at 712 K Street (APN 006-0096-005), 716 K Street (APN 006-0096-006), 724 K Street (APN 006 0096-008), 810 K Street (APN 006-0098-006), 1109 8th Street (APN 006-0098-022), and 816 K Street (APN 006-0098-008). Authorization to negotiate with 726K Street, LLC and Urban Innovation Partners, LLC for the acquisition of the property located at 726 K Street (APN 006-0096-009). Authorization to negotiate with 718 K Street, LLC for the acquisition of the property located at 718 K Street (APN 006-0096-007). Authorization to negotiate with Uran Innovation Partners, LLC for the acquisition of the property located at 806 K Street (APN 006-0098-024). The purpose is to confer with the Agency's Chief Negotiators, Leslie Fritzsche and John Dangberg, regarding the price, terms, and conditions of the acquisitions.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2007, 8:23 PM
Got Good Grub?

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis bickle View Post
I think DTP is an ideal candidate for starting over. Force westfield's hand - starting by making it clear a target and a couple more fast food joints does not warrant a subsidy of any kind. Make it clear that the city prefers they get out of downtown. Because they can't take what's left of a once thriving center with them, start up the bulldozers. Find a developer who will put Sacramento first and offer them outstanding incentives to build a world-class project. Pay miserable westfield off and send them packing, with luck, never to return. Send in the aforementioned bulldozers. Add explosives and a fumigator to remove the westfield stench. Build a world class, phased, mixed use paradise that's well-integrated with the city and includes 3k housing units, 700k SF/office, 800 hotel rooms and 1.2 mil. SF retail/recreation with six towers of up to 36 stories.

The air in Sacramento will smell sweeter, the birds will sing more happily and there will be no ugly red “W” anywhere to spoil your view.
Now you're talking!

Old Posted Jun 22, 2007, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugit View Post
Looks like the city is going to try and buy the proporties from Mohanna...once and for all, they just need to get this guy out of downtown.

Dear City of Sacramento:

I am so glad you have decided to buy my properties. All of this pain and suffering could have been avoided if you would have done that in the first place. Now, since I bought my parcels, they have appreciated in value a tad bit. My asking price is $850,000,000,000,000.00. Please have the money wired to my account at Douche Bank. Or you may hand deliver the check to my associate, I. M. Abum - you will find him wearing a trench coat and sleeping on a bench in front of St. Rose of Lima Park. Don't be alarmed by the gas can and book of matches sitting next to him - in fact, just ignore them.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Sincerely,

H. M. Mohanna

Old Posted Jun 22, 2007, 8:45 PM

WTF??? This website has a fetish for double posts.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2007, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfenoc View Post
WTF??? This website has a fetish for double posts.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2007, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfenoc View Post
Dear City of Sacramento:

I am so glad you have decided to buy my properties. All of this pain and suffering could have been avoided if you would have done that in the first place. Now, since I bought my parcels, they have appreciated in value a tad bit. My asking price is $850,000,000,000,000.00. Please have the money wired to my account at Douche Bank. Or you may hand deliver the check to my associate, I. M. Abum - you will find him wearing a trench coat and sleeping on a bench in front of St. Rose of Lima Park. Don't be alarmed by the gas can and book of matches sitting next to him - in fact, just ignore them.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Sincerely,

H. M. Mohanna
Too funny!

Old Posted Jun 23, 2007, 5:27 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugit View Post

____

http://sacramento.granicus.com/Agend...d=7&event_id=2

Pursuant to Government Code section 54956.8 for a matter pertaining to real property negotiations. Authorization to negotiate with M.H. Mohanna for the acquisition of the properties located at 712 K Street (APN 006-0096-005), 716 K Street (APN 006-0096-006), 724 K Street (APN 006 0096-008), 810 K Street (APN 006-0098-006), 1109 8th Street (APN 006-0098-022), and 816 K Street (APN 006-0098-008). Authorization to negotiate with 726K Street, LLC and Urban Innovation Partners, LLC for the acquisition of the property located at 726 K Street (APN 006-0096-009). Authorization to negotiate with 718 K Street, LLC for the acquisition of the property located at 718 K Street (APN 006-0096-007). Authorization to negotiate with Uran Innovation Partners, LLC for the acquisition of the property located at 806 K Street (APN 006-0098-024). The purpose is to confer with the Agency's Chief Negotiators, Leslie Fritzsche and John Dangberg, regarding the price, terms, and conditions of the acquisitions.

Does this mean that the city wont be transfering the 800 block to his control in a forced land swap????

Old Posted Jun 23, 2007, 5:29 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I'm convinced that DTP isn't done. I think a makeover with expansion and upgrade would do wonders, especially with a rejuvenated K St. I think this would be a good attraction for folks to want to come live downtown, and be within walking distance to a showplace mall. Focus on the positive, Indianapolis was able to get an exceptional downtown mall project done, and it is a real centerpiece of their significant inner city growth.

I've been in the Indy mall, and it is busy and spectacular. Indy is evolving in many of the ways folks here want Sacramento to go, and actually isn't a bad role model.

I agree.

Though I don't believe Westfield has the commitment to get it done.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area