HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 23, 2008, 10:27 PM

Last edited by met3dreamer; Jul 28, 2008 at 3:40 PM.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2008, 3:41 PM
Le ronca los mamelles

Plans for Villa Magna luxury condominiums revived
By Yudislaidy Fernandez
Development of Brickell's last prime bayfront parcel is on hold after developers scrapped a planned luxury hotel and reverted to high-end condos once the market improves.
Jerome Hollo, vice president of Florida East Coast Realty, said plans now are to revive the luxury condominium concept for Villa Magna on the 2.5-acres at 1201 Brickell Bay Drive. The design is for two 60-story towers totaling 787 units, along with restaurants and retail on ground levels, he said.
The departure of Spanish investors Grupo Pedro Iglesias from the project led to killing the hotel plans and reviving the condo component, Mr. Hollo said. The investors liked the hotel concept, he said, but couldn't secure the capital to participate. "They just weren't in a position to execute this type of project."
Grupo Pedro Iglesias hasn't entirely given up on helping to develop Villa Magna as a hotel, said Juan Bartolomé SeguÌ, group stakeholder and project architect. His group has $161 million in capital but needs about 50% more financing to solidify its offer, he said in a phone interview from Palma de Mallorca, Spain.
"It's our star project and we want to continue with it."
Bruno Opt, chief operating officer for the group, said the extra financing is key. "It's a tough time at the moment," he said from Spain.
Miami developer Tibor Hollo originally planned Villa Magna as high-end residential. In September, plans shifted again when he sought city approval for a mixed-use component to feature the hotel, restaurants and retail.
The Hollos said timing of the project will hinge on when the market rebounds.
"It's certainly the best piece of land; any project will do wonderful," Jerome Hollo said. "But it's got to be the right time."

Old Posted Jun 26, 2008, 3:43 PM
Le ronca los mamelles

Blacks fight for housing in Grove renewal
BY DAVID SMILEY
The question has never been whether Grand Avenue's vacant lots and deteriorating buildings would be redeveloped, but when.

The answer may come Thursday.

Miami commissioners will consider giving preliminary approval to the first phase of the massive Grove Village on Grand, which would reshape six blocks of the street that runs through the heart of Coconut Grove's black and Bahamian community.

Meanwhile, community activists are calling for subsidized housing and hoping for the protection afforded other Bahamian communities in South Florida.

''This is a story of survival,'' says Pierre Sands, president of the Village West Homeowners and Tenants Association.

Grove Village, the $300 million vision of Pointe Group Advisors, headed by local businessman Peter Gardner, promises new life to a street that once thrived.

A supermarket would serve an area that currently relies on corner convenience stores. About 170,000 square feet in retail space would replace drug traffic with foot traffic. And sleek apartments, shops and offices would replace old buildings ravaged by hurricanes, time and neglect.

But the sheer size of Grove Village has evoked not only hope, but fear.

''Things are changing everywhere,'' Sands said of his community. ``But it doesn't mean we have to go by the way of the dinosaur.''

Sands' association voted Monday to support the development based on 10 conditions, including a mandate that 20 percent of Grove Village's units be affordable or workforce housing.

Gardner, who said Wednesday he would include some workforce housing, said he has done his best to listen to the community in which he was born and reared. Gardner has surrounded himself with influential locals, including Grove architect Max Strang and Richard Shepard, director of the University of Miami's Center for Urban and Community Design, which has studied development opportunities in the West Grove.

Pointe Group has met often with community groups, participated in a community redevelopment project and joined an umbrella group called Positive Partners. All that, and an agreement that 800 to 1,000 full-time jobs will be available to Grovites, has brought wide support.

NO GUARANTEES

But considering Pointe Group is also buying and razing duplexes and homes on Grand Avenue's side streets and has made no commitment to include affordable housing in Grove Village, some wonder if the black community will be around to enjoy it.

''What is going on here is going to hurt us for the rest of our lives,'' resident William Bellinger, 46, said at a recent public hearing in City Hall.

The neighborhood, once known as the ''Black Grove'' and now Village West, is one of eight communities in a five-year Miami plan to improve economic and housing conditions.

But City Commissioner Marc Sarnoff, who represents the Grove, says the city doesn't have a legal responsibility to demand affordable housing.

And with just two of six blocks before the commission Thursday, Sarnoff said he doesn't know if such a demand makes sense.

''I think it can be done, but I don't know that it can be done in this phase,'' he said. ``But I'll ask the question on the dais.''

That shouldn't stop the community from demanding affordable housing, said Norma Jean Sawyer, executive director of the Bahama Conch Community Land Trust, which has been fighting gentrification in the Key West community of Bahama Village.

''They must say how many affordable units they will provide,'' she said. ``They must give a number.''

Several years ago, Key West allocated $2.5 million toward the development and restoration of affordable homes in neighborhoods targeted for redevelopment.

Sawyer said because the land trust swayed the Keys commission to grant money for land acquisition and affordable housing, it was able to keep a number of native residents in the community of about 3,000.

The 2000 Census counted about 2,700 black residents in the West Grove. Since then, many have moved, and an informal study conducted last year shows many have been replaced by Hispanics.

Gardner says he will include affordable housing in other properties he has bought in the community and is not razing any affordable housing now.

''As far as rental rates that already exist here, I can tell you the same rates will be here,'' he said.

EARLIER RENT INCREASE

According to the Pointe Group, Grand Avenue rents range from $500 to $1,000 per month, plus utilities. Five years ago, some were as low as $400 a month, but those rates rose when a group of developers led by Coral Gables attorney Julio Marrero began buying up Grand Avenue properties with plans to build mixed-use condominiums as high as 12 stories.

Those plans fell through. Now, Gardner says, Marrero and partners have a contract with Pointe Group.

With the Marrero group owning much of the land on Grand Avenue, the Pointe Group is looking for property to expand the vision of the redeveloped Grove.

Accountant Twyman Bentley, 54, who works out of his house in the 3300 block of Florida Avenue, says Gardner's dream dampens his heritage. Bentley says he inherited the home from his parents and hopes to pass it on to his family.

He said the Pointe Group wants to buy his property to build a rental with parking beneath it.

''It's giving the impression that we're being squeezed out here,'' Bentley said.

Though the commission will be considering a part of the project that is two blocks west of his home, Bentley can already see evidence of what could happen to his neighborhood.

On Saturday, he and a few other holdouts stood two doors down from his house, outside the home of Bennie Chapman.

The house next to hers has been sold and is now housing a squatter.

On the next lot, a trackhoe sits where a home once stood. Other homes on the street are missing windows and doors.

The wrecking ball isn't coming, says Chapman, 64, it's already swinging on her street.

''They're destroying us,'' she said.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 1:10 AM
skeetskeetskeet

atlantis - thanks for all the pictures. i dont get back to miami as often as i like, so its nice to see the city is still there.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 3:49 PM
Le ronca los mamelles

Orient-Express, Related to build South Beach hotel
BY DOUG HANKS
Orient-Express will build a hotel in South Beach with the Related Group, which recently scrapped plans for a condominium tower on the oceanfront site.

The $150 million project marks the first new South Florida project in three years for Related, which led the way in Florida's condominium boom before that market hit a severe downturn.

The Miami company recently canceled sales contracts for the planned Viceroy condo-hotel tower on the site at 801 South Pointe Dr. and will be a full partner with Orient-Express in building the new hotel, executives said.

It will include 100 rooms and 28 condominiums selling for $2 million and up, but Related Chairman Jorge Perez said financing the project does not depend on selling any of the condos ahead of time. Owners of the condominiums will have access to hotel services, and the units might eventually function as condo-hotels with owners able to rent them out to guests, Perez said.

''We felt at this point we wanted to do much more of a hotel project than a condominium project,'' Perez said. ``We think the future of both the hotel and real estate businesses is in providing great, great services.''

Related plans two other Orient-Express ventures in Panama City, Panama, and Cartagena, Colombia. The companies described the trio of projects as the launching pad for more expansion, particularly in Latin America.

''Both of us see this as the start of something big for the future,'' said Orient-Express CEO Paul White.

Orient-Express, which bears the name of a luxury train famous for its European treks and the title of an Agatha Christie murder mystery, operates four resorts in the United States and is planning a new hotel in New York, where it owns the restaurant 21.

It considers itself the leading luxury hotel brand in South America, a key market for Related as it looks to grow amid a dismal housing market in the United States.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 1:17 AM
Atlantis Rises Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sky View Post
atlantis - thanks for all the pictures. i dont get back to miami as often as i like, so its nice to see the city is still there.
You are welcome! I've been away for a while with computer problems and even forgot my Flickr password to upload pics. Had to create a new account, but really nothing new to post as of yet. I've turned into an absolute terror on some of the other threads posting pics like a kid with a new toy. I hope to one day get my own camera to take my own perspectives of the new Miami skyline, but have other priorities right now.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 1:28 AM
Atlantis Rises Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by met3dreamer View Post
I work for whole foods market and we're supposed to be occupying the base of M3 and on a list of store openings, it still says we're scheduled to open 12/1/2009 FINGERS CROSSED if they dont build they should let us have the space
Two weeks ago when I was up late and bored with nothing to do, I drove down to the Met3 site to see what was going on with it. It was chalked full of tons of construction materials and equipment from end to end. There were bulldozers and even a crane that would be used for driving pilings, so I don't think it is still just a staging ground for Met2. As I've said before, this is a very important building for Miami, and I think there are those behind it who can and will make it happen, if not the original developer.

Paramount on Edgewater Square just topped out and now looks to be taller than Quantum South. It has given the Miami skyline an even more impressive spread north, and I love the way the architecture came out. I think it really makes a statement to critics of Miami's architecture.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 5:06 AM
Atlantis Rises Again!

Here is a recent pic I haven't seen here yet.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3215/...6ab89f27_o.jpg

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 5:12 AM
Atlantis Rises Again!

Can you say density?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 6:03 AM
Atlantis Rises Again!

Edgewater Approach

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 6:18 AM
Atlantis Rises Again!

Here, Wynwood is really Edgewater

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 6:20 AM
Atlantis Rises Again!

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 4:05 PM
Le ronca los mamelles

Greenberg Traurig inks Met2 deal for HQ
Law firm Greenberg Traurig has inked a deal for a new headquarters in downtown Miami at Met2, one of three signature office towers competing for high-end tenants in the city's central business district. The 15-year lease, for 150,000 square feet, is the second major lease to be signed for the three buildings; the first was law firm's Bilzin Sumberg deal at Brickell Financial Centre.

For the law firm, moving from its Brickell Avenue location to Met 2 represents a chance to contribute to the redevelopment of Miami's downtown, said firm president Matt Gorson, a former member of the city's Downtown Development Authority.

Gorson also said that as the first major tenant in the building, they were able to negotiate a good deal. Rents, he said, start in the $30-per-square-foot range (''I won't say anything further.'') That price may represent a softening in the commercial real estate market that's evolved since the economy began slowing down; real estate experts had predicted starting rents in the $40s.

But the new space also gives the law firm a chance to reinvent its workplace, Gorson said. Because of technology and the changing nature of legal practice, lawyers don't need as much space as they used to, he said.

''There has been very little change in the design of law firm space in the last 50 years,'' he said. ''Lawyers are out of the office a lot. They don't need as much space, but they do need more common areas to meet with clients.'' At its current 1221 Brickell location, the firm has 165,000 feet, but now needs just 150,000.

The new office will be entirely wireless, employ fewer secretaries and have movable walls. They will allow more light and air flow, and Gorson said they will apply for LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certification for the interiors.

Met2, part of the $1 billion Metropolitan Miami project, will include a 42-story JW Marriott Marquis hotel plus Marriott International's ultra-luxe Hotel Beaux Arts as well as offices, Tim Weller, vice president of Metropolitan Miami developer MDM Development, said in a statement.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 4:11 PM
Endless Moments...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAtlantisMiami View Post

Now that is very nice. Love the dusk shots, some great color...

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 1:53 AM
Atlantis Rises Again!

Thumbs up Sweet Coconut Grove Condo

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 2:58 AM

just lovely

www.domandhyo.com

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 3:28 AM

Some new pictures

Pictures taken last week of Asia, Icon and on a flight out of MIA. Click on any thumbnail to enlarge.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 7:09 AM
Atlantis Rises Again!

Wow! Thanks! I really enjoyed those! They don't lose much detail stretched out on my flatscreen either. I think the second skyline shot is my favorite. And to think most of those buildings weren't even there 3 years ago. It's truly amazing! People in other cities still just don't get what we're talking about.

Last edited by NewAtlantisMiami; Jul 10, 2008 at 7:20 AM.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 3:52 PM
Ex Houstonian

Miami's skyline is missing something, its huge and pretty dense but theres nothing to look at. There needs to be a few buildings that really stick out. Right now all I see is filler for the most part.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 4:13 PM

I agree...that and they're all condos which are, by their nature, less impressive than office buildings in my opinion. I think these condo developers' budgets became tighter and tighter and eventually skimped on flashy designs and crowns that were originally planned. Also, I drove through Atlanta this weekend and noticed that most of their buildings have spires and crowns. I thought about how majestic a simple crown or spire can make a building look. Made me wonder where are ours...

Last edited by Cityseed; Jul 10, 2008 at 5:56 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations