The Brooklyn Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 19, 2016, 2:10 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
One quote from your link that I have to agree with.

“This is becoming more and more like skyscraper Manhattan-type of living,” said Kenneth Peterkin, 52, of Bed-Stuy. “Instead of office buildings, they’re building these high rise apartments and how many of us can really, honestly, get into them?”

I understand this issue, basically we are seeing downtown Brooklyn become a high end high rise apartment district for Manhattan rather than seeing downtown Brooklyn become a jobs center for Brooklyn.

That's just wrong. We're already seeing the office development take place Downtown Brooklyn. If it were not for the highrise apartment building development, you wouldn't have seen many of the changes taking places that made it possible for developers to see it as attractive for office tenants. Manhattan has highrise residential development, and that has not stopped it from being the jobs center of the metropolitan area.

Besides, the city needs more housing (on all levels) and complaining about not being able to afford Downtown Brooklyn is like complaining about not being able to afford Downtown Manhattan or Park Avenue. You will pay a premium to live in the more desirable parts of any town. And Brooklyn will never lose it's identity. There is far more to Brooklyn than just Downtown, which itself never really had an identity outside of locals. It's making one for itself now.

Quote:
Unlike the Manhattan towers rising more than 1,000 feet, the Brooklyn structure, with nearly 500 units, is planned as a rental apartment building, according to a person familiar with the plans who was not authorized to discuss them publicly. The developers also applied for the 421-a program, which provides tax breaks for including subsidized apartments in luxury buildings, before it expired last year, and would set aside at least 20 percent of the units as affordable housing.

Let's see them complain about the "billionaires" in this building.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2016, 5:17 PM
Metal Up Your !

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
That's just wrong. We're already seeing the office development take place Downtown Brooklyn. If it were not for the highrise apartment building development, you wouldn't have seen many of the changes taking places that made it possible for developers to see it as attractive for office tenants. Manhattan has highrise residential development, and that has not stopped it from being the jobs center of the metropolitan area.

Besides, the city needs more housing (on all levels) and complaining about not being able to afford Downtown Brooklyn is like complaining about not being able to afford Downtown Manhattan or Park Avenue. You will pay a premium to live in the more desirable parts of any town. And Brooklyn will never lose it's identity. There is far more to Brooklyn than just Downtown, which itself never really had an identity outside of locals. It's making one for itself now.

Really cool to see affordable units in super luxurious high rises. Everyone should have the opportunity to live with all types of social economic classes, regardless of income. Especially in melting pot capital.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2016, 5:57 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Just some extra info:
=============

Height: 73 stories and 1,066 feet tall

Quote:
The massive tower can be at built as of right with the existing air rights. However, because the Dime Savings Bank is landmarked — both inside and out — the proposal needs to go through landmarks approval.

Work has yet to start on the site. Right now, it’s taken up with a five-story office building. The demo permit for the existing structure has yet to be approved.
Developers: JDS Development Group and Chetrit Group

Quote:
JDS is known for another super-tall building, the nearly 1,500-foot-tall condo tower at 111 West 57th Street. Chetrit Group is in the midst of building a striking mixed-use hotel and retail complex with apartments, the M500, at 500 Metropolitan Avenue in Williamsburg.

JDS and Chetrit are able to build so tall in the case of 340 Flatbush Avenue Extension in part because they purchased the adjacent Dime Savings Bank — and its 300,000 square feet of air rights — for $90 million in late 2015.
Architect: SHoP

Quote:
SHoP Architects are the creative minds behind some of the largest developments in Brooklyn — including the now under-construction Domino Sugar Refinery buildings, the Barclays Center arena, and two residential buildings in Pacific Park/Atlantic Yards.

The firm is known for bold, visually striking designs.
Design: Unconventional

Quote:
The design for 340 Flatbush is unusual. Its shape was inspired in part by the hexagonal footprint of the Dime Savings Bank. The dark vertical lines of the building also echo some of the bank’s architectural details, according to the New York Times.

The tower’s main materials — inspired again by the bank — will include white marble, crystal gray vision glass, bronzed metal and blackened stainless steel, according to the Brooklyn Eagle.

A portion of the building would connect with the historic bank structure below — which will in turn be repurposed as retail space.
What the tower will be: 417 rental apartments

Quote:
The massive building will have 463,470 square feet of residential space in the form of 417 rental units and another 92,694 square feet of commercial space, according to the Brooklyn Eagle.

Twenty percent of the rental units would be affordable, as per the 421-a tax break requirements (the developers applied before the break expired).
When will it be built: Early 2019

Quote:
That timeline may shift around depending on a number of factors, but at the moment, 2019 is the estimated completion date.
Possible snag: Landmarks

Quote:
The tower’s current design will connect directly to the rear of the historic Dime Savings Bank building. This would mean demolishing a portion of the landmarked bank. The interior design also call for removing existing teller counters in the landmarked interior of the building.

This could be an issue with landmarks. However, a Community Board 2 subcommittee meeting this week was supportive of the design and unanimously approved it.
=================================
http://www.brownstoner.com/blog/2016...ush-rendering/

Old Posted Feb 19, 2016, 10:07 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
The tower’s current design will connect directly to the rear of the historic Dime Savings Bank building. This would mean demolishing a portion of the landmarked bank. The interior design also call for removing existing teller counters in the landmarked interior of the building.

This could be an issue with landmarks. However, a Community Board 2 subcommittee meeting this week was supportive of the design and unanimously approved it.

This is very similar to what happened with Steinway (111 W. 57th). I expect approval without much complication.

http://www.brownstoner.com/blog/2016...ush-rendering/

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2016, 10:44 PM
New Yorker for life

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2016/0...pc_hearing.php

Brooklyn Supertall Gets Important Backer Ahead of LPC Hearing

Friday, February 19, 2016
by Tanay Warerkar

Quote:
Brooklyn Community Board Two's land use committee has thrown its support behind the planned supertall in Downtown Brooklyn, the Brooklyn Daily Eagle reports. The committee is also in favor of modifying the existing, landmarked Dime Savings Bank building to construct the project according to the developers' plans.

JDS Development Group and Chetrit Group intend to connect the 73-story tower to a portion of the bank, and use the bank space as retail. Part of the modification will involve demolishing two annexes of the building, according to the Eagle.

The developers also intend to remove some of the bank tellers' counters from the main hall.

CB2's land use committee was in favor of this plan, and did not raise any objections regarding the height of the building either, which is currently planned at 1,066 feet.

The Bank building however is landmarked, and the SHoP-designed project will have to get approval from the Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC) before this current plan moves forward. But support from CB2 is likely to bolster the developer's case in front of the LPC during it's hearing on March 15.

On Wednesday we also learned that the project would likely bring 500 rentals to Downtown Brooklyn, 20 percent of which will be affordable. The Eagle is pegging a lower number of 417 rentals.

http://www.brooklyneagle.com/article...oklyns-tallest

Quote:
Gregg Pasquarelli of SHoP Architects showed the renderings to Community Board 2's Land Use Committee at a meeting Wednesday night at NYU Tandon School of Engineering's Dibner Building.

In order to build the glamorous tower design, two annexes of the neo-Classical bank at 9 DeKalb Ave. must be demolished, one of them five stories tall, another a single story in height, he said.

Also, SHoP Architects' design calls for the removal of tellers' counters from the banking hall.

.....The banking hall at 9 DeKalb Ave. — which was occupied until last year by a J.P. Morgan Chase branch — will become a retail space, Pasquarelli said at the CB2 meeting.

In his presentation, he called the tower design “a series of interlocking hexagons.”

The proposed tower's construction materials are inspired by the landmarked bank building, but with a slightly different palette: White marble, crystal gray vision glass, bronzed metal and blackened stainless steel.

The tower's glass façade will be overlaid with “tubes” of stone and metal, Pasquarelli said, that are visual references to the columns on the bank.

The Dime building needs a lot of restoration work, including the removal of ATM buildouts on the bank's portico that faces Albee Square.

Architectural conservator Richard Pieper, who also spoke at the community board meeting, said repairs will be made to the marble façade, which is cracked.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2016, 11:11 PM
Show me the blueprints

So if Junior's sells their air rights does that mean we're stuck in perpetuity with their current two story dud of a building? Why they would turn down the opportunity to relocate to the base of this gorgeous tower is beyond me. This tower would be even better if it had a 10 or so story base where Junior's sits now so the entire Flatbush elevation was top notch.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 20, 2016, 1:03 AM
A before E

Quote:

I am not arguing that there aren't some office development taking place in downtown Brooklyn, I am saying the bulk of what we are seeing is units marketing themselves towards living next to Manhattan. You can disagree with this if you want, that is just what I saw during my couple years of living there.

I will definitely say good for this building having 20% dedicated to some form of affordable housing, but I am guessing the 80% will be targeted to the other end of the spectrum.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2016, 1:22 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
I am not arguing that there aren't some office development taking place in downtown Brooklyn, I am saying the bulk of what we are seeing is units marketing themselves towards living next to Manhattan. You can disagree with this if you want, that is just what I saw during my couple years of living there.

I will definitely say good for this building having 20% dedicated to some form of affordable housing, but I am guessing the 80% will be targeted to the other end of the spectrum.
What do you want? You would have the developers build a 70-story housing project? Would you prefer that there were NO development taking place in Downtown Brooklyn, which became a dead zone after certain hours? Even if the bulk of the tower indeed went to the higher end, the 20% that won't will be more than what was there before. There's a reason office development wasn't the first to catch fire with the rezoning. It's the proximity and cluster of mass transit here - as it is with Downtown and Midtown Manhattan - that make such clusters of highrises (both residential and commercial) possible. This is exactly the part of Brooklyn where this type of development should take place.

Does the city need more affordable housing? Yes it does. Could Brooklyn support more commercial construction? Obviously it can, but let's get the two new large office tower proposals off the boards and leased before we start worrying about more.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2016, 1:48 AM
Ascension

This building is divine.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2016, 8:05 AM
aka Studdedleather

THIS is what Downtown Brooklyn would've looked like if the City of Brooklyn was still a separate entity (with more room for growth still). Simply said.

As a native Brooklynite and still resides here, I approve this project of course! Lol @ Brooklyn losing it's identity. Super-talls won't be able to do that over night. We're too proud and we will always love BK. With tall buildings or not.

The person that said that probably wasn't from New York and especially Brooklyn.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2016, 11:16 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

the renders are stunning -- as they better have been if the classy dime bank bldg is going to be the entrance.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2016, 11:57 AM

With this beautiful new tower, it's the Junior's building that's now the eyesore.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2016, 8:04 AM
A before E

Quote:
What do you want? You would have the developers build a 70-story housing project? Would you prefer that there were NO development taking place in Downtown Brooklyn, which became a dead zone after certain hours? Even if the bulk of the tower indeed went to the higher end, the 20% that won't will be more than what was there before. There's a reason office development wasn't the first to catch fire with the rezoning. It's the proximity and cluster of mass transit here - as it is with Downtown and Midtown Manhattan - that make such clusters of highrises (both residential and commercial) possible. This is exactly the part of Brooklyn where this type of development should take place.

Does the city need more affordable housing? Yes it does. Could Brooklyn support more commercial construction? Obviously it can, but let's get the two new large office tower proposals off the boards and leased before we start worrying about more.
No, I do not want a developer to build a 70 story housing project.....and that isn't even what I was saying....I am just saying it is kind of disappointing to see downtown Brooklyn be a skyline of apartment buildings basically catering itself to being a residential neighborhood to Lower Manhattan rather than be a commercial center for Brooklyn. That is all.

Does this tower look cool, in renderings yes it does, will it look good in reality, maybe, maybe not. Though I don't care too much about apartments being built for the uber rich because I am definitely not a part of that 1%, so buildings like these are more just eye candy from the distance.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2016, 8:11 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRebel View Post
THIS is what Downtown Brooklyn would've looked like if the City of Brooklyn was still a separate entity (with more room for growth still). Simply said.

As a native Brooklynite and still resides here, I approve this project of course! Lol @ Brooklyn losing it's identity. Super-talls won't be able to do that over night. We're too proud and we will always love BK. With tall buildings or not.

The person that said that probably wasn't from New York and especially Brooklyn.
You are right, I am not from Brooklyn, though I did practically live there for two years while I worked in Brooklyn. Though I will say those that I met and became friends there that were born and raised Brooklyners told me a lot about how the neighborhoods they grew up in had all changed and were no longer like the places they once lived in due to the skyrocketing rents that make Brooklyn desirable for the trust fund kids.

When I see downtown Brooklyn, I imagine it as being the downtown for Brooklyn, not the residential neighborhood for Lower Manhattan.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2016, 10:00 AM
aka Studdedleather

Quote:
You are right, I am not from Brooklyn, though I did practically live there for two years while I worked in Brooklyn. Though I will say those that I met and became friends there that were born and raised Brooklyners told me a lot about how the neighborhoods they grew up in had all changed and were no longer like the places they once lived in due to the skyrocketing rents that make Brooklyn desirable for the trust fund kids.

When I see downtown Brooklyn, I imagine it as being the downtown for Brooklyn, not the residential neighborhood for Lower Manhattan.
You don't believe the people who work for Kickstarter or the tech girls and guys working Downtown already wouldn't want to live in a neighborhood closer to work? That actually has great amenities or high rises to choose from? That's what Downtown is becoming and that's why I said this is what it would've been if we never annexed.

Regarding rents, nothing stays the same for ever. Look at New Amsterdam.

My only gripe is when people attempt to relate everything back to Manhattan. As if Brooklyn does everything to attract Manhattanites. Why shouldn't Brooklyn have wayyyy more retail (upscale especially), great amenities to choose from, etc? Needless to say this is Downtown we're talking about. Once again even before people started to move into the borough, the population of DTBK was so minuscule no one cared (after 1898 of course).

I reiterate I'm from Brooklyn because while I didn't grow up in the era of "old school" Brooklyn, I am a native. I LOVE skyscrapers but I don't care for Manhattan, at all. Don't get me wrong I love density but it's just something about Brooklyn that's the perfect balance of both "home" and "city" - if you know what I mean. There are plenty of landmarked places around the borough so when people so things like "it's becoming like Manhattan" blah blah blah they really don't realize it's so many areas developers can't touch in BK! So when you have a transit friendly, under developed (in my opinion), walkable area like DTBK, towers like this should rise. Whether residential (for working people in the borough OR entire city if they choose DTBK fits what they want) or a super-tall office tower. There are many companies in Brooklyn that wants to stay here BUT they need more space! Luckily Etsy secured a spot in DUMBO or else they probably would've moved their headquarters out a few years ago. And where do you think these Etsy workers would want to live? I don't know maybe a train stop or a few away, which would be Downtown.

Brooklyn is solidified now. It's no longer the alternative. So if someone wants to pay $3,500 for a studio in this building. I'm pretty sure they can pay that same amount to live across the river.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2016, 8:17 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRebel View Post
You don't believe the people who work for Kickstarter or the tech girls and guys working Downtown already wouldn't want to live in a neighborhood closer to work? That actually has great amenities or high rises to choose from? That's what Downtown is becoming and that's why I said this is what it would've been if we never annexed.

Regarding rents, nothing stays the same for ever. Look at New Amsterdam.

My only gripe is when people attempt to relate everything back to Manhattan. As if Brooklyn does everything to attract Manhattanites. Why shouldn't Brooklyn have wayyyy more retail (upscale especially), great amenities to choose from, etc? Needless to say this is Downtown we're talking about. Once again even before people started to move into the borough, the population of DTBK was so minuscule no one cared (after 1898 of course).

I reiterate I'm from Brooklyn because while I didn't grow up in the era of "old school" Brooklyn, I am a native. I LOVE skyscrapers but I don't care for Manhattan, at all. Don't get me wrong I love density but it's just something about Brooklyn that's the perfect balance of both "home" and "city" - if you know what I mean. There are plenty of landmarked places around the borough so when people so things like "it's becoming like Manhattan" blah blah blah they really don't realize it's so many areas developers can't touch in BK! So when you have a transit friendly, under developed (in my opinion), walkable area like DTBK, towers like this should rise. Whether residential (for working people in the borough OR entire city if they choose DTBK fits what they want) or a super-tall office tower. There are many companies in Brooklyn that wants to stay here BUT they need more space! Luckily Etsy secured a spot in DUMBO or else they probably would've moved their headquarters out a few years ago. And where do you think these Etsy workers would want to live? I don't know maybe a train stop or a few away, which would be Downtown.

Brooklyn is solidified now. It's no longer the alternative. So if someone wants to pay $3,500 for a studio in this building. I'm pretty sure they can pay that same amount to live across the river.
Becoming like Manhattan doesn't have to mean just high rise buildings. The cost of Manhattan is where Brooklyn is at now, and it will continue to rise and continue to price out native New Yorkers. I am not saying this is an issue, just the reality.

For me, it is just a little disappointing to see the Brooklyn skyline turn into a skyline of apartment buildings.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2016, 9:28 PM
Never Dell

I love what's happening in DTBK, not that I've spent a ton of time there.

There's a disconnect here....one minute it's "1%ers" and the next it's "$3,500 apartments," which would presumably be full of run-of-the-mill young professionals, retired small business owners, etc.

Oops, add a few hundred to that...gotta subsidize the "affordable" units. Figure 2/3 of the cost for 20% of the units...call it $400 each for $3,900 rents. So maybe it's for the 25%ers.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2016, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Becoming like Manhattan doesn't have to mean just high rise buildings. The cost of Manhattan is where Brooklyn is at now, and it will continue to rise and continue to price out native New Yorkers. I am not saying this is an issue, just the reality.

For me, it is just a little disappointing to see the Brooklyn skyline turn into a skyline of apartment buildings.
Subjectively, I look at the skyline as a piece of art. Per my taste, this building certainly makes a positive impact.

As for it's effect on the downtown Brooklyn neighborhood, remember Williamsburg wasn't always the Williamsburg of today either. It gentrified and still is. This building is a not going to change the culture of downtown Brooklyn by itself, but is part of a bigger development machine. To be a Manhattanite no longer means to be a native New Yorker, and to be a Brooklynite hardly means being from New York.

Last edited by mistermetAJ; Feb 21, 2016 at 10:07 PM.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 1:06 PM

Absolutely gorgeous. If I ever meet these developers I'm going to hug and kiss them. Oh how I hope they make lots of money here and at 111 W57. If only they could be as prolific as (m)E(h)xtell...

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 2:22 AM
New Yorker for life

The tallest skyscrapers on skylines these days are apartment buildings, so no sadness there.

https://twitter.com/awalkerinla

Quote:
Matt Chaban ‏@MC_NYC Feb 18
Here's why @NYClandmarks can't shorten 9 DeKalb, @awalkerinLA. They could build a "worse" 1066-footer w/o approvals.

http://jdsdevelopment.com/9-dekalb/

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...ssdocnumber=01

Quote:
INTERIOR DEMOLITION AS SHOWN ON SHOP DWGS. EXISTING FLOOR COVERINGS, I.E. CARPET SQUARES, AND FLOATING FLOOR COVERS, TO BE CAREFULLY REMOVED AS TO NOT DISTURB FLOOR TILE BENEATH - DEMO CONTRACTOR SHOULD WET-SOAK CARPET SQUARES. ALL PIPE INSULATION MATERIALS, VINYL COMPOSITION TILES VCTS (ON WALLS & FLOORS) & ASSOCIATED MASTICS TO REMAIN UNDISTURBED AND IN-PLACE. ALL ACMS WILL BE FILED WITH NYS DOL ASBESTOS CONTRACTOR VIA NYC DEP ACP-7. NO CHANGE IN USE, EGRESS OR OCCUPANCY UNDER THIS APPLICATION. AS PER PW-1 AS SHOWN ON DRAWINGS FILED HEREWITH. NO CHANGE IN USE, EGRESS OR OCCUPANCY.

Landmarks approval for that portion of the work...
http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/BS...de=SC140905024

Last edited by NYguy; Feb 23, 2016 at 2:45 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture