HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Portland Suburbs and the State of Oregon

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 3:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
That is an area I haven't been to in years. I really don't get to the westside much anymore, I never have a good reason to go all the way over there. I definitely would like to see more Orenco style developments happening throughout the metro.
Something similar is slowly happening at the stop previous to Orenco: Quatama. It just hasn't crept up to the MAX stop yet.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 7:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colganc View Post
Something similar is slowly happening at the stop previous to Orenco: Quatama. It just hasn't crept up to the MAX stop yet.
It seems so strange to me that these farther out MAX stops are attracting way more TOD and density than the closer in ones in Beaverton. Years later I've barely noticed any sizable TOD's being build on the eastside MAX. Interstate Ave got some decent infill and perhaps played a part in Mississippi Ave getting denser but for the most part I'm not that impressed by the developments along the lines on the east side of the river.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 2:33 PM

The area right around the Orenco MAX stop could be a case study in Max development. Very very dense with an eye toward those using the stop. I think its the first "real" example of high density around a MAX stop outside Downtown PDX. Very interesting as it seems to be developing without much fanfare. Worth a look.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 3:44 PM

Intel and Nike don't hurt either

Let's not forget the major employers near Orenco and Quetama though. The apartments are marketed primarily to Intel and Nike employees. I know at least Intel is even active in informing potential employees of the nearby apartments. Many people who move to the area for jobs there stay in the apartments for a year or so while temporarily employed or until they get settled in to more permanent housing. That is how developers like Holland decide to maximize the land there. I am not sure if a similar situation occurs at other light rail stops.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Nob View Post
Let's not forget the major employers near Orenco and Quetama though. The apartments are marketed primarily to Intel and Nike employees. I know at least Intel is even active in informing potential employees of the nearby apartments. Many people who move to the area for jobs there stay in the apartments for a year or so while temporarily employed or until they get settled in to more permanent housing. That is how developers like Holland decide to maximize the land there. I am not sure if a similar situation occurs at other light rail stops.
development on former farmland is just a wee bit easier than developing within existing infrastructure, too.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric cantona View Post
development on former farmland is just a wee bit easier than developing within existing infrastructure, too.
There is basically empty land right next to the "Nike" MAX stop. I don't think it is just about jobs or empty land.

Something that just came to mind is both Beaverton and Hillsboro may only have enough political capital to subsidize one big development at a time. Beaverton did the Round and Hillsboro kicked off Orenco.

Hillsboro kept a lot of focus at Orenco for the past 15 years and it has developed into what it is.

Beaverton went with the round and now only recently is following back on that space/area.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 6:48 PM

http://www.hillsboro-oregon.gov/inde...=1624&page=712

Quote:
Development review approval for construction of a new 57,759 square foot four-story hotel. A proposed swimming pool, conference room and restaurant is associated with the hotel.
Another 4-story Hotel in Hillsboro, Staybridge Suites. Location is at the NE corner of US26 and Helvatia Rd.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2015, 6:46 AM

Quote:
$30M suburban downtown development breaks ground today

One of the largest jolts of private investment to ever visit downtown Tigard officially kicks in this afternoon at a groundbreaking ceremony for a new mixed-use project.

The $30 million Burnham and Ash development will add 165 market rate apartments and more than 2,000 square feet of commercial space at the corner of Burnham Street and Ash Avenue.
...continues at the Portland Business Journal.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 5:54 AM
A before E

Kind of boring, but good for Tigard for seeing some actual development in their downtown.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2015, 7:52 PM

How to get millenials to live and work in the Portland suburbs
Nov 30, 2015, 11:17am PST
Alisa Pyszka
Leland Consulting Group
Portland Business Journal

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/...T&t=1448912265

Quote:
Earlier this year I participated on a panel that discussed the question of “How do we entice the subset of young professionals to work – and live- in the suburbs?”

Often these questions trigger a bifurcated debate of urban versus suburban lifestyles, which tends to miss the point. The question is more complex (as they usually are) and should instead ask what is the urban environment providing that young professionals want?

The overriding desire, which becomes more prevalent as the millennials’ lifestyle influences the market, is for a simple commute, immediate access to retail amenities and a well-designed setting. The Platform District, a mixed-use, 609 residential unit project developed by Holland Partners in Hillsboro, proves that these highly desired “urban features” can be successfully provided in a suburban setting and begins to answer the question of how to encourage young professionals to live in the suburbs.

Simplify the Commute

Businesses, with either a suburban or urban location, unilaterally state that their millennial workforce does not want to drive; they want public transit and an easy commute. Because talent attraction and retention is the number one issue for companies, this is a vital topic for suburban communities to address.

An easy commute traditionally has been available in the urban core through walking, biking or public transit. Similar offerings take time to develop in suburban areas traditionally built for one mode of transportation: the single occupancy vehicle.

The Platform District is built around the Orenco Light Rail Station along the TriMet MAX Blue Line, which gets a commuter to Pioneer Square, the heart of downtown Portland, in 40 minutes. If a resident doesn’t work downtown, there is a bus stop at the front door providing access to numerous employers in the area and a substantial bike lane system.

By capturing this significant transit opportunity, the project eliminates the need for a second car typically required in a suburban environment. This modification translates to an annual income increase of approximately $9,000, according to 2015 AAA figures. In turn, the project can comfortably provide 1.1 parking stalls per unit, allowing more of the project cost to go towards more units.

Density to Attract Retail

Discussing the desire for urban living often reflects the attraction to a walkable environment with quick access to retail amenities. The Platform District leverages the existing New Seasons grocery store and adds 13 new retail storefronts for a total of 29,000 square feet, including seven food and restaurant spaces. These retailers are supported by the 609 units within the Platform District and an additional 892 units adjacent to the district.

This dense form provides local residents with immediate access to retail. Furthermore, it serves a young professional demographic prone to dining out more frequently. An added bonus for retailers is that customers enjoy a larger disposable income due to the savings realized with only one vehicle.

This critical project component of density was driven through a collaborative vision and approach between the developer and the city of Hillsboro to fully maximize $1.5 billion in light rail investment. The enabling tool to bring the project to fruition was the Vertical Housing Tax Credit, which offsets property taxes on residential units for 10 years.

By implementing this tool, the city incentivized the developer to take vacant land that was generating $35,000 annually in property taxes and convert it to a project that immediately generates $750,000 annually based on the commercial uses.

More importantly, once the 10-year abatement ends, the city will earn $2.9 million annually in property taxes. In contrast, if the VHTC was not granted, the city would have a conventional project of approximately 350 units, limited commercial uses and permanent annual revenues of $800,000.

Amenities

The third key ingredient to lure the young professional to the suburbs is good design.

...(continues)...

Old Posted Nov 30, 2015, 9:12 PM

Haha, what a question.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2015, 8:22 PM

Quote:
What Do You Give the Athlete Who Has Everything?
Nike ponders just whom it should name its buildings after; ‘Federer Platz,’ ‘Ronaldo Fields’

BEAVERTON, Ore.—Employees at Nike Inc. world headquarters here are whispering about one of the company’s latest, top-secret projects: Will it be LeBron? Or Serena? What about Derek Jeter?

The project in question doesn’t have anything to do with specialized footwear or high-tech apparel. Folks are quietly talking about which of the hundreds of superstar athletes in Nike’s orbit will receive the swoosh’s rarest honor: having a building on the Nike campus named after them.

When soccer player Mia Hamm was approached about having a Nike building named for her in 1998, the U.S. women’s national team forward was in disbelief—after all, she played a team sport and was still in the middle of her career. “I associated that with post-career accolades,” she says, “I was almost incredulous.”
...continues at the Wall Street Journal.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Dec 12, 2015, 1:13 AM

Old Posted Dec 12, 2015, 6:54 AM
A before E

About time something finally started to happen by the Round.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2016, 11:02 PM

Wow. Hey, forumers-- I work at Nike and our internal site just released a note and pics of the campus expansion. It nearly crashed the server because of so much internal interest. I can't post any pics, but the use of space and form is interesting. Interested to see everyone's thoughts once the pics go public.....

Old Posted Jan 20, 2016, 11:41 PM

Here's one...I can't get the second one pulled from the PBJ website, but it's pretty much just a rendering of a basketball court and some orange stairs. See this link: http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/...=1453331812#i2

Old Posted Jan 21, 2016, 1:48 AM

Bummer.. It looks as though they only released a couple of the photos. There are a few more that show the connectivity between the buildings and their surroundings.. I can't post them, though. The interesting rumor I heard is that a 'certain firm' that is taking major heat for a 'certain building' that is in quite close proximity to a 'certain bridge' on the east side, is handling the design of some of the campus expansion.... Talk amongst yourselves.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2016, 3:10 AM

Craplab!

Old Posted Jan 21, 2016, 3:37 AM

I forgot to post the article...

A first look at Nike's $380M-plus HQ expansion (Renderings)
Jan 20, 2016, 2:47pm PST Updated Jan 20, 2016, 3:05pm PST
Erik Siemers
Managing Editor
Portland Business Journal

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/...T&t=1453331812

emphasis mine
Quote:
Nike Inc. on Wednesday said its newly expanded Washington County headquarters will feature buildings that “take inspiration from human movement.”

The sports footwear and apparel giant (NYSE: NKE) offered the first two renderings of what the completed work on its World Headquarters will look like once completed sometime in 2018.

The expansion will add about 3.2 million square feet of office, mixed-use and parking facilities. The design is led by three Portland firms — ZGF Architects, SRG Partnership aand Skylab Architecture — with Portland-based Place Studio providing landscape architecture services.

Here’s what Nike, in a news release Wednesday afternoon, had to say about the design:

“The new structures reinforce the original campus master plan and link to preexisting areas through open green spaces, paths, sports courts and fields, and are positioned for fluid future growth. The architecture itself takes inspiration from human movement, speed and the strength and energy of competition, all central to Nike’s core mission. A beacon serves as a campus center while spanning structures radiating from the tower pay homage to Nike’s namesake, the winged goddess of victory. “

Nike said it is aiming for LEED Platinum Certification with its new buildings. They will include several sustainable features, such as natural daylighting, a closed-loop grey water treatment center, and "passive chilled beams," which it described as a radiant convection system designed to heat and cool large buildings.

...(continues)...

Old Posted Jan 21, 2016, 6:12 PM
BANNED

Meh they should have had a city campus on Southwater front

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Portland Suburbs and the State of Oregon