HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Abraj Al Bait in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Mecca Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jul 25, 2012, 9:18 PM

Looks like something you would find on Coruscant.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 1:32 PM

The guy taking videos from the outdoor patio is nuts.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2012, 4:05 AM

Clock Tower on the night of Eid 1433H - برج الساعة ليلة العيد

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 24, 2012, 4:51 AM

What a grotesque, ghastly insult to Mecca and Islam this monstrosity is. It embodies vile values of garish pretentiousness and love of money, exemplified by pointless ostentatious preening, like a peacock with feathers run amok. Who is responsible for this mindless mess?

Old Posted Aug 24, 2012, 9:24 AM
Hala Wal'la

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ditnow View Post
What a grotesque, ghastly insult to Mecca and Islam this monstrosity is. It embodies vile values of garish pretentiousness and love of money, exemplified by pointless ostentatious preening, like a peacock with feathers run amok. Who is responsible for this mindless mess?
Pam , season 6 , Episode 22, Minute 4:50 of "The Office"

It is true that a mosque, let alone Mecca, needs to be a place for worship and not this sort of Architecture

Though i do think you are more insulted by this structure than Islam and Muslims

Yum

Old Posted Aug 28, 2012, 8:25 PM
Editor

Man I hate this building. IMO it's a blight on Mecca..... an otherwise interesting city that is now dominated by a cheap monstrous Vegas looking building.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2012, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
that is the ugliest thing i've ever seen.
This post on page one of this thread basically sums it up for me.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2012, 10:25 PM
Ex Houstonian

Time to tear it down and start all over.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 12:41 AM

It's big, really big. Proves a real point, although im not quite sure what... hmm....

Last edited by Spantik; Apr 11, 2013 at 5:29 AM. Reason: Stupid post, regret making it.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Crusader View Post
Looks like something you would find on Coruscant.
It is not nearly sleek enough for that.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2012, 4:47 AM
Future Mayor of Chicago

So is this thing officially open yet? When will the observation deck open? Supposedly the observation deck will be the highest in the world.

"Auto-centric suburban sprawl is the devil physically manifesting himself in the built environment."

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 12:57 PM
Imster

The tower will grow on people visiting there as well as Skyscraper enthusiasts. What need to see some really nice aerial shots showing its full height from unique angles and some good pictures of it

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spantik View Post
I have to admit, the sheer size of this thing is impressive. Other than that, I can't think of a single good thing about it. People keep complaining about how this is so close to Mecca, but in the eyes of the people visiting Mecca, it's a thing of beauty. They look up at it and think "This is the power of Islam". Many of the people visiting Mecca have probably never even seen a building that's over 1000 feet tall before, so this thing has a massive impact on them. Seeing a giant golden crescent moon suspended 1800 feet in the air is impressive regardless, but even more so if you live in a mud hut.
You don't sound racist at all.

I agree this complex is garish and should not have been placed so closely to Mecca, however it is anything but cheap. Look at the materials used, both inside and out, as well as the level of detail that has gone into everything. If anything it is Vegas that is cheap.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 4:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
You don't sound racist at all.

I agree this complex is garish and should not have been placed so closely to Mecca, however it is anything but cheap. Look at the materials used, both inside and out, as well as the level of detail that has gone into everything. If anything it is Vegas that is cheap.
This is the ugliest skyscraper ever built on many levels. I don't need to be a Muslim to say that this is an arrogant affront to the deepest spiritual values at the core of Islam or any other great religion that rejects materialism. It is hubris, a false idol, a golden calf, representative of everything the most important spiritual allegories tell us are human beings' worst flaws.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 6:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Imster View Post
The tower will grow on people visiting there as well as Skyscraper enthusiasts. What need to see some really nice aerial shots showing its full height from unique angles and some good pictures of it
Few skyscraper enthusiasts will be allowed near there.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 12:06 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Any guess' as to when Las Vegas will build one too?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
Any guess' as to when Las Vegas will build one too?
LOL... it does seem like it belongs right at the end of The Strip, doesn't it? I never knew Islam was so completely over the top in a Vegas kinda way!

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat Stanley View Post
LOL... it does seem like it belongs right at the end of The Strip, doesn't it? I never knew Islam was so completely over the top in a Vegas kinda way!
People keep repeating the Vegas thing, but don't seem to have a clue what's going on architecturally here or there. The Bellagio and the Venetian are cheap imitations of Venetian architecture, which in turn was once its own cheap imitation of Moorish North African Islamic architecture. This is actual Islamic architecture-- more correctly a palimpsest of the many cultural manifestations it has taken over the years. One can see the Alhambra, the Dome of the Rock, Al-Masjid al-Nabawi, on and on.

But why educate yourself about these things?

I'm not a fan of the building, but it doesn't take a lot of architecture or art history classes to know where these elements and motifs come from.

Also, @CroBurnham: the hubris elements of the building are most decidedly western-inspired. Nobody does hubris better than Americans. The art-deco Chrysler building seemed uncommonly garish and cheap to many who derided its flat, riveted, unadorned steel in simple radiating geometric patterns, which were at odds with the ornament and filigree of the predominant Beaux-Arts styles at the time. And it was fantastically, egomaniacally tall, too. But hey, it's great now, huh?

Flickr Blog Site

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 11:22 PM

Well... I guess you told me, huh. I feel so ashamed now.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 6:01 AM
lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boquillas View Post
People keep repeating the Vegas thing, but don't seem to have a clue what's going on architecturally here or there. The Bellagio and the Venetian are cheap imitations of Venetian architecture, which in turn was once its own cheap imitation of Moorish North African Islamic architecture. This is actual Islamic architecture-- more correctly a palimpsest of the many cultural manifestations it has taken over the years. One can see the Alhambra, the Dome of the Rock, Al-Masjid al-Nabawi, on and on.

But why educate yourself about these things?

I'm not a fan of the building, but it doesn't take a lot of architecture or art history classes to know where these elements and motifs come from.

Also, @CroBurnham: the hubris elements of the building are most decidedly western-inspired. Nobody does hubris better than Americans. The art-deco Chrysler building seemed uncommonly garish and cheap to many who derided its flat, riveted, unadorned steel in simple radiating geometric patterns, which were at odds with the ornament and filigree of the predominant Beaux-Arts styles at the time. And it was fantastically, egomaniacally tall, too. But hey, it's great now, huh?
Wait, so you deign to compare this project to the Chrysler Building? Unadorned and riveted in 1929? Is this Ayn Rand>?

Absolutely ridiculous diatribe considering this structure was designed by Western engineers, the clock by Swiss and Germans. Yet if you're not of the Islamic faith you are not allowed anywhere near it. It's a shame.

Last edited by The Jerk; Oct 1, 2012 at 6:18 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive