HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 4:00 PM
HVAC guru

Hey at least downtown gets to celebrate its brand new 20 year old signalling technology while the rest of the city is still stuck in the '60's LOL

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 4:05 PM
Community Guy

Touche

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 3:25 PM
Community Guy

Excellent report and read/facts on Calgary's experience.

http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation...letracknetwork

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 7:59 PM
Urban Advocate

Lots of good information in those reports.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 6:28 AM
Community Guy

Don't forget to let people know if you believe that this is an important component to a complete transportation network.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 5:43 PM
Community Guy

Reminder - hope to see some of you there!

https://twitter.com/DBAyeg/status/848943018874949632

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 2:52 PM
Community Guy

Reminder!

More info on the COE complete grid for Downtown:

https://www.edmonton.ca/projects_pla...e-network.aspx

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 7:16 PM

I've noticed that generally the majority of sidewalks outside inner areas are unused by anyone 99% of the time. Do you guys think the city should just let people ride on the sidewalks in certain areas? Maybe enforce the use of a bell and educate on bike/pedestrian
Safety.

Also in an effort to encourage bike use we should start phasing out the right turns on red at intersections. Make dedicated right turn phases. Also add to the signal posts signalling lower down for cyclists to see and use.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 9:13 PM
Community Guy

^that's how they do it in Japan in a lot of places, shared use with 1000% more people, but courteous.

That said, for most parts of NA, separated on street is the way to go.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 9:53 PM

No, separated off street is better where there's room. Especially here, where slop from passing cars will make any on-street bike lane nearly impossible for months of the year.
Sidewalks are much more clear of ice and snow and grit, even when right next to traffic.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 10:06 PM

I agree with mike. On street will be a sloppy mess. Not to mention there will be mountains of sand and rocks until mid August as per our street sweeping guidelines.

Ian are there any concept renders of the onstreet lanes? I went through the links you posted but couldn't get a good feel for how it is supposed to look.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 10:10 PM

The biggest problem with riding on road or sidewalk vs separated bike path is hard headed assholes (cyclists/pedestrians/and motorists) who don't want to share. There's always gonna be cyclists that demand their space in a lane despite the danger to themselves and motorists. For example riding down whyte or Jasper while there are deserted avenues literally one block away... And on the other side you have motorists who despise cyclists taking up a single foot of their lane and in turn drive very aggressively to show the cyclist who's boss.

I personally have never had an issue cycling in any of the three cities I have lived in, but maybe that's because I use common sense. I really don't give a shit what the law says...I've always ridden a combination of on street, on sidewalk, and separated paths. I always take what ever path is safest and keeps me furthest away from traffic and pedestrians.

If done poorly a separated path won't even give you a sense of safety. There were a couple areas of Dublin where technically you have you own bike lane but it's directly adjacent to traffic travelling at 60-80 kilometres per hour. It's almost worse because if you are forced to ride in the lane people at least slow down to pass you. Because it's technically a separated bike lane they just whizz past you at full speed.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 10:27 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintzilla View Post
I agree with mike. On street will be a sloppy mess. Not to mention there will be mountains of sand and rocks until mid August as per our street sweeping guidelines.

Ian are there any concept renders of the onstreet lanes? I went through the links you posted but couldn't get a good feel for how it is supposed to look.
Modeled after the very successful and newly implemented (award winning too!) one in Calgary.

http://wpmedia.calgaryherald.com

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 10:37 PM

Safer cycling infrastructure isn't always the same as what people percieve as safe cycling infrastructure which really complicates the politics/design. For example Cycling on sidewalks, although "comfortable" can actually be more unsafe at intersections than shared streets.

If you want an idea of what the downtown network will look like, it will probably be quite similar to Calgary's (now permanent) pilot. All the other bike routes going in this year (102 through oliver, 106 st/76Ave in Queen Alex, 83 Ave) have been in the works for longer and are a bit more "permanent" construction looking.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Modeled after the very successful and newly implemented (award winning too!) one in Calgary.

http://wpmedia.calgaryherald.com
Might look a bit more robust than that pic, if I remember correctly council went for the slightly more expensive option that includes curbing along the barrier to mitigate issues with snow/gravel migration. I think there was something about planters too....

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 10:46 PM

That's great! Much better than I expected. Lightyears ahead of the painted lines failure on 76(?)ave

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 12:59 AM

Hmmm ... might just dust off my Dahon folding bike and go for a spin if the roads are going to be safe. 3 years ago a car side swiped me, wrecked the bike I had at the time, months to get over the injury and I bought a new one but have been concerned to use it so got out maybe twice since.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 2:55 PM

When I ride in from St Albert, i try to spend as much time on side streets. and with the few thousand kms I get every year having a confrontation with another user is rare. Education is the only way to make cycling and car interaction safe. We do need to get the 1 meter rule into the traffic act though.

Best interaction, about a year ago we were on a 120km ride. Hot and sunny Sunday. We were out near Chicakoo Park when we stopped at an intersection. A rolling Carbon Cloud pulled up. the window opened and a cold beer was handed out the window.

Had a guy try to run us off the road last year. I believe the guy was charged with dangerous driving after the police viewed the bike camera images.

Looking forward to the new bike routes as I am moving deeper into the core next fall.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 3:57 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciudad_del_norte View Post
Might look a bit more robust than that pic, if I remember correctly council went for the slightly more expensive option that includes curbing along the barrier to mitigate issues with snow/gravel migration. I think there was something about planters too....
That's correct. Nothing permanent really, but not just a quick and easy install.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintzilla View Post
Also in an effort to encourage bike use we should start phasing out the right turns on red at intersections. Make dedicated right turn phases. Also add to the signal posts signalling lower down for cyclists to see and use.
I wouldn't want the right turns at red lights phased out, this is purely a precaution that has to be taken by cyclists. Stay in the lane, behind a car, very simple. Why should the cyclist have the right to squeeze in to the right of a car all the way to the front of the red light? Also, by implementing more rules that favor the cyclist, you are creating a culture of people paying less attention to safety.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton