HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 10:41 AM
Meh

Castro's gay-parade decision stirs controversy

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/Cas...ntroversy.html

Quote:
Castro's gay-parade decision stirs controversy

By Elaine Ayala
- Express-News

Mayor Julian Castro's historic decision to serve as grand marshal of the city's Gay Pride Parade July 4 is either an embarrassment or a bold step into the future for San Antonio — depending on whom you ask.

San Antonians critical of the mayor's commitment, which he made March 29 at a candidates' forum, have been responding with e-mails, spurred by conservative Christian radio host Adam McManus. Others have thanked Castro for “bold forward thinking.” In all, Castro said he has received 80 to 90 e-mails, both positive and negative. He said none could be described as hate mail.

The mayor also said none have swayed him from his decision to participate.

“San Antonio is a big city,” Castro said. “It's a 21st century city, and we're in an inclusive city. My goal is not to take a stand on behalf of the city of San Antonio on any side, though I'm pleased with the progress the gay and lesbian community has made in combating discrimination. They're on the right side of history.”

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 10:46 AM
Meh

This article has a couple of uh, interesting quotes in it, but this one below is a little contradictory don't you think? Especially the last two sentences.

Quote:
“Focusing on hot-button issues divides the city rather than unites us,” she said. “I think he's trying to be inclusive. However, when you focus on being inclusive, it ends up excluding a lot of people.”
And this is the kind of thing small towns are supposed to be worried about. Not major metropolitan areas with 2 million people. Heck, even San Angelo's former mayor came out of the closet recently and confessed that he was dating an illegal Mexican immigrant. After winning a huge majority of the vote for his 2nd term, he decided to quit and move to Mexico with his boyfriend. He said that because his boyfriend was here illegally that he didn't wish to be dishonest about it, and he couldn't live with the idea of leaving his boyfriend. Even in San Angelo people's reaction to that were pretty positive. Some even asked if a way could be found to naturalize his boyfriend so the two of them could stay and he could remain mayor.

Here's the story on that.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ghlight=Angelo

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 12:45 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

This is a non-issue story being made into a story by the ever sensationalist Express News.

There's no controversy or uproar in SA about Castro being the grand marshal aside from this far right wing radio nut and the 3 sheep that follow him. Seriously, because the guy has a radio show and has historically been anti-gay the Express interviews him as if it's a big issue/story but in reality it's not and they're basically just creating their own "controversy" to sell. lol

There really was no need at all in posting the article on this forum as it's an over-sensationalized non-news BS story not it worth posting.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 1:39 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

Wasn't the SA police chief the grand marshal last year or something?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 1:58 PM

So lets assume that half of those emails were negative.... 40 emails from a metro of close to 2 million? I wonder who the EN thinks actually cares that this was an issue? Funny how only dissatisfied people and complainers are heard. Why wasn't it just a story that he was going to be Grand Marshal of the parade since a larger majority thinks its good that he is doing this? Goes to show that a majority of the time, only negative news is deemed a "story" and positive news is not reported on.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 6:39 PM
Bears of antiquity

I remember when they pulled it out of downtown (it was pretty impromptu at that point, wasn't it?) and moved it to North Main. The newspaper's opinion page basically vomited up a gem that said that the day the mayor marches is the day it can come back downtown.

Well...

Of course, I like the North Main one, it was nice and small and they gave out free stuff!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 10:46 PM

Last edited by Saddle Man; Jul 25, 2009 at 11:16 PM.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 11:50 PM
James

I have never been to one. I'm thinking I should go this year. It's going to be so hot outside, whose idea was it to throw it in the middle of summer? lol

BTW those comments on MySA.com are incredible, so many people throwing their personal beliefs in the mix. "If you don't like it, don't attend!"

Old Posted Jun 13, 2009, 1:13 PM

This is no controversy.

On a much brighter side-
http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...alization.html

Old Posted Jun 13, 2009, 8:42 PM
James

^^^ That's awesome! I was hoping someone would come in there start doing something. It's something I've wanted to do when I'm done with school for sometime, it sucks that they are doing it before I am, but I'm still very happy they are doing that.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2009, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
^^^ That's awesome! I was hoping someone would come in there start doing something. It's something I've wanted to do when I'm done with school for sometime, it sucks that they are doing it before I am, but I'm still very happy they are doing that.
Me too. And I feel there's still time before property value goes up.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2009, 6:45 PM

All I can say is lets get back to talking about skyscrapers.
I wish Hardburger could have been mayor forever.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2009, 11:27 PM
Bears of antiquity

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAguy View Post
This is no controversy.

On a much brighter side-
http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...alization.html
Those two are really something, I tell you what. BMB "nontroversies" come to mind.

Of course, more places equals more fun! Here's hoping the new places are around when I head home for a few days next year.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio