HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted May 18, 2008, 2:23 PM
+

Updated first page May 18

Old Posted May 18, 2008, 3:41 PM

I would be shocked if we ever saw anything as landmark-ish as those featured on the first page. Dare to dream...

Old Posted May 18, 2008, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmorek View Post
I'd be more in favour of an expansion of the existing City Hall building, keeping the current City Council chamber and the Mayor's office.
thats basically what they are going to do - they are staying in the same spot and keep using the old building and i think the article (posted somewhere in here) said they wiould expand to the north on land they already have

so something totally glassy and modern contasted against the art deco of the old would look pretty cool

Old Posted May 18, 2008, 9:33 PM

City Hall has already expanded a number of times. The east annex was built in the 50s and designed by the same architects as the original building. The office building at 10th and Cambie with the VanCity is almost entirely full of City departments including Planning. The old war-era office building on Broadway between 10th and Yukon is also almost all City departments, including the Rapid Transit Office. Adding another building to the precinct has a lot of precedent and just makes sense for a growing city.

As an aside, one of my favourite quotes ever is "the bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy."

Old Posted Jun 28, 2008, 1:35 AM
+

June 27 - Large update on 1st page!

Old Posted Jun 28, 2008, 1:59 AM

Apparently the staff at City Hall want the existng additions demolished becuase they think they do not function well. I recall hearing that from one of the facilities development guys at City Hall. He also said that the site to the north can accommodate a tower at the northeast corner without hitting a view cone.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues