HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Yeah. I don't know how to turn it off. Do people find it cute?
On my work computer, holding ctrl-shift switches between French and English

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Deep/Chalk River may be highly educated, but I think it would be a stretch to call the communities "cultured"

I would disagree. Symphony orchestra, theatre, etc. It may be dominated by scientists and engineers but that does not mean it is not supported by the arts.

This news article by Peter C. Newman for Maclains in the 1960s helps define what the town is like.

http://www.sttranslation.com/deep-ri...ct-place-live/
http://www.sttranslation.com/deep-ri...ver-revisited/

It was a closed gated community that did not appear on any makes when it was constructed at the high of the second world war.

It also has a sister community Pinawa, Manitoba. Very similar to Deep River just about half the size. (http://pinawa.com/)

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 2:07 PM
sick transit, gloria

I'm sure Deep River fits the bill on paper, but it is apparently quite boring. There's something about a completely planned community that just doesn't cut it. I mean, when your downtown looks like this: https://goo.gl/maps/5sh6v it's a bit hard to feel inspired. I knew a number of people who grew up there during my undergrad and they couldn't wait to get out. Of course having parents with degrees who worked in Chalk River, they were generally encouraged to get out!

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 7:24 PM

Compared to the US, we don't have a lot of these highly educated and cultured small towns - places like Rhinebeck NY, lots of towns in the Berkshires etc.

Even places thought to be "gentrified" aren't really at all in the stats - like Port Hope.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
Compared to the US, we don't have a lot of these highly educated and cultured small towns - places like Rhinebeck NY, lots of towns in the Berkshires etc.

Even places thought to be "gentrified" aren't really at all in the stats - like Port Hope.
Yeah, I can't think of a single place in Manitoba that meets the criteria for this thread. At one time Pinawa was filled with brilliant people when AECL was running full-tilt, but even then it was a tiny town far too small for any postsecondary educational institutions or significant arts or cultural organizations. These days? Nothing.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
I'm sure Deep River fits the bill on paper, but it is apparently quite boring. There's something about a completely planned community that just doesn't cut it. I mean, when your downtown looks like this: https://goo.gl/maps/5sh6v it's a bit hard to feel inspired. I knew a number of people who grew up there during my undergrad and they couldn't wait to get out. Of course having parents with degrees who worked in Chalk River, they were generally encouraged to get out!
Ouch, that is one horrendous downtown. You can tell it's a late bloomer because most places in Ontario have an historic retail strip, not so much in Deep River apparently.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
I think the only thing in Deep that's actually nice looking is its water frontage.

I lived in Deep River for 13 years (age 4-17)

Admittedly, there's not a whole lot to do, but that's not uncommon in "small towns". Deep River does have a few nice things for the outdoorsy person, though. Or maybe it's so boring that everyone's forced to go outside. Can't tell. I never minded it. One thing I miss about Deep River is that you could walk to the beach, ski hill, etc.

Deep River probably has more recreational stuff per capita than anywhere else. They've got access to like 5 different beaches, an arena, curling, squash, just as many tennis courts as North Bay (which is 10x the size of Deep River), a good x-country ski network, some nice hiking nearby, fishing (Don't care for fishing myself but some do) sailing club, a ski hill (small, but not every town has one), bowling (And stuff like the afore mentioned Symphony Orchestra). You could walk a canoe from your house to the river and explore a bit.

Population: 4200. I liked growing up there enough, probably partly because our family travelled a bit. Not sure what it would be like to be stuck there.

Anyways as far as small towns go (again, for me, 0-10,000), Deep River is without question the most educated. Cultured? Not terribly, it does well for its population bracket (lots of people from out of Canada) but if you mean it as in artsy stuff, maybe not. People there make an effort with that sort of thing, but even though it punches above weight, there's only so much 4000 people can do.

EDIT: I 've never seen so much talk about Deep anywhere.... except Deep. Oh and Vienna. Lots of people from Deep River end up living in Vienna because of the IAEA.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 12:03 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

So why is it considered that towns with the most degree-holders are the most cultured?
Wouldn't that count out some imaginary town full of actors, artists, and musicians most of whom didn't attend post-secondary?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 12:31 AM

In relation to its size, I think the village of Elora, Ontario (pop. 3,800) would have to rank fairly high on the list. The Elora Festival, RiverFest and live music venues, a repertory cinema, good restaurants and an atmosphere that attracts artists.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
So why is it considered that towns with the most degree-holders are the most cultured?
Wouldn't that count out some imaginary town full of actors, artists, and musicians most of whom didn't attend post-secondary?
I'm not exactly sure of the English definition of "cultured" but I can tell you that by the French definition university-educated people are certainly going to be more "cultivés" as individuals than actors, artists and musicians who don't have more than a high school degree.

Edit: seems to be the case in English too;
adjective
characterized by refined taste and manners and good education.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 12:56 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
The thread title is most educated and cultured small town. It's hard to answer which town is both the most educated and the most cultured since there's no clear answer to that. It is much easier to tackle which town is the most educated and which is the most cultured, and you see answers to that affect with stats being trotted out showing degree-holders per capita, but also employment in the arts. All in all, it's turned into a rather interesting conversation I think.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 3:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
In relation to its size, I think the village of Elora, Ontario (pop. 3,800) would have to rank fairly high on the list. The Elora Festival, RiverFest and live music venues, a repertory cinema, good restaurants and an atmosphere that attracts artists.
Centre Wellington (includes Elora and Fergus)

University degree: 23.8%
Art and culture occupations: 2.8%

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
The thread title is most educated and cultured small town. It's hard to answer which town is both the most educated and the most cultured since there's no clear answer to that. It is much easier to tackle which town is the most educated and which is the most cultured, and you see answers to that affect with stats being trotted out showing degree-holders per capita, but also employment in the arts. All in all, it's turned into a rather interesting conversation I think.
I would say that in terms of everyday meaning "cultured" is a lot closer to "educated" than it is to "artsy" or "artistic".

So yeah, IMO just looking at degree-holders already covers the OP intention pretty well.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 4:17 AM

Quote:

Two things:

- Canadians never got into the habit of establishing provincial land grant universities in the middle of nowhere. Almost all major research universities are to be found in cities of 50,000+.

- There's an anti-urban streak in the US harking back to the days of Thomas Jefferson that's not necessarily the same thing as being "un-cultured".

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 4:48 AM
The Fruit of Discipline

This seems to be a long thread and all so I haven't read everything, but would you guys say there's any sort of concensus on which are the most cultured/educated small towns? Does anyone want to put them results together in a list of some sort (for example, broken down for each province) using the suggestions in this thread?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 12:58 AM

So far:

BC: Saltspring Island, Whistler, Nelson

Alberta: Banff

Ontario: Niagara-on-the-Lake, Deep River

Quebec: Bromont

New Brunswick: Caraquet, Sackville

Nova Scotia: Antigonish, Wolfville

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 8:33 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
So far:

BC: Saltspring Island, Whistler, Nelson

Alberta: Banff

Ontario: Niagara-on-the-Lake, Deep River

Quebec: Bromont

New Brunswick: Caraquet, Sackville

Nova Scotia: Antigonish, Wolfville
Thanks Docere! I suspect the number of towns is low because towns with less than 30,000 are usually retirement destinations or blue collar workforces and don't have the middle class jobs and thus middle class families one would associate with "cultured/educated" towns. If we expanded the thread to include towns up to 200,000 people I'm sure we'd get a better selection!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2015, 7:53 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Just for fun, here is what the outdoor classical music amphitheatre looks like in Joliette, Quebec:

http://www.tourismejoliette.com/fich...rnand-lindsay/

Old Posted Jun 30, 2016, 5:53 PM

Just visited the recently opened Audain Art Museum in Whistler which is excellent (arguably better than the Van Art Gallery).

Old Posted Jun 30, 2016, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Just for fun, here is what the outdoor classical music amphitheatre looks like in Joliette, Quebec:

http://www.tourismejoliette.com/fich...rnand-lindsay/
Wow, that's pretty nice.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada