HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Tivoli Condos in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Hamilton Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 8:29 PM

HAMILTON | Tivoli Condos | 73.5 M | 22 FLOORS

Info:
- A new 22-floor condominium tower will replace the collapsed lobby of the Tivoli Theatre (built 1874)
- The Tivoli Theatre will be restored and get a new lobby in the base of the new tower
- 19 floors of residential space
- 3 floors of commercial space
- 106 units
- Located at 108 James Street North, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Source

Specs:

Source

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Red: Collapsed Tivoli Theatre Lobby, Green: Remaining Tivoli Theatre, Gray: Existing streetwall

Source: My Photo

Blue: Tivoli Condos, Green: Remaining Tivoli Theatre, Gray: Existing streetwall

Current street wall vs. future street wall:

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Beyond this wall...

Source

is this...

Source

The Tivoli Theatre lobby before it collapsed in 2004:

Source

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 8:34 PM

Some 3D models I made to show how the tower could look, fit onto the site, and be attached to the old theatre...

More...

Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 2:52 AM

thespec.com - Developer hopes to take Tivoli to new heights

By Matthew Van Dongen

Preliminary redevelopment plans for the historic Tivoli Theatre property include a 22-storey condo tower.

The 73-metre-high tower — more than triple the current permitted height on the James Street North property — would allow 106 condo units and three commercial floors in addition to a restored theatre.

Developer Domenic Diamante said in an interview the "very preliminary" plans could change as a result of ongoing discussions with the city, but added "we do need that height."

"On a small site, you have to go to a certain height to make it possible … from a financial perspective," he said.

Diamante declined to put a value on the ambitious project, but added he hopes to have a "clearer view" of what comes next in a few weeks, including whether a rezoning application is needed.

In addition to exceeding the permitted height, the proposal suggests fewer parking spots than required for a development of this size.

Members of the Beasley Neighbourhood Association are "paying attention with interest" to evolving plans for the property, said co-president Matt Thompson.

He said the group has no default objection to a particular building height, but added "we're certainly in favour of a high level of public engagement," particularly when it comes to preserving the historic theatre.

Ward Councillor Jason Farr said he was surprised by the proposed height, suggesting that sort of bylaw change "would not be minor in nature."

But Farr added he's still excited to see a development proposal given the "stagnant history" of the site on an otherwise rebounding section of James Street.

Diamante purchased the theatre last year for $900,000 from a charitable dance organization run by his wife, Belma Gurdil-Diamante.

The Canadian Ballet Youth Ensemble is still involved in planning to restore the theatre, said Gary Santucci, a director with the group. The organization bought the derelict 140-year-old building in 2006 for $2 from the Sniderman family, of Sam the Record Man fame.

Over time, the city has committed hundreds of thousands of dollars to the theatre in loans, grants and the cost of demolishing the front of the building.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2014, 4:12 PM

Source

Larger Size:

Source

Larger Size:

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 8:59 PM

Your First Look: Tivoli Theatre and Condominium
http://architect.msarch.ca/posts/70-...nd-condominium

MSA is pleased to unveil our most recent renderings for the Tivoli Theatre and Condominium. MSA is leading the design of this mixed-use condominium project developed by Diamante Investments, featuring the revitalization of Hamilton's storied Tivoli Vaudeville Theatre and a brand new 106 unit condominium tower.

Located in the heart of Hamilton, condominium residents will enjoy the benefits of brand new construction and modern amenities. The heritage conservation of the Tivoli Theatre will offer accessibility from James St. North, non-profit community space, new washrooms, coat check, and ticketing booths, as well as a street café and restaurant. It will also be minutes away from the new GO Station.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 12:05 AM

I hope thats red glass (similar top M5V in Toronto's entertainment district)

It'd be a shame if they cheaped out and used red colored panel.

Otherwise, it's nice to see a precedent set for future streetwall in this area.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 1:39 AM

New renderings...

Source

Larger Size:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKirk View Post

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 5:59 AM

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 1:28 AM

thespec.com - Councillor will push approval of Tivoli condo project

By Meredith MacLeod
Friday, March 27, 2015

Downtown Councillor Jason Farr will ask his colleagues to approve a 22-storey condo tower at the Tivoli theatre site, despite the objections of staff.

He says he understands the concerns of city planners who say the proposal is too high and dense to fit the neighbourhood, but Farr believes the pluses of restoring the theatre and bringing residents to the street far outweigh the negatives.

"I consider this a heritage project with a secondary use of condo units," said Farr. He says saving the Tivoli is such a unique opportunity that it deserves granting an exemption on height limits.

"People fear precedence here, but show me another old vaudeville heritage property anywhere else along there. I don't want a wall of towers along the street either."

Farr says he'll propose a motion at Tuesday's meeting he hopes can satisfy everyone.

Tuesday is also the city's deadline to offer a decision on the application. If it takes longer, the developer can take the matter to the Ontario Municipal Board for non-decision.

Farr requested the planning committee's decision Tuesday be ratified at a special council meeting already scheduled for immediately afterwards. The matter was deferred at Farr's request from the March 3 planning meeting because he wanted to see more meetings with staff and neighbours.

"It's been delayed enough. April 8 is the next council meeting. I've heard from the proponents that they are eager to move forward."

If the height allowance is not granted, developer Domenic Diamante vows to appeal to the OMB.

"I won't drop it," he said. "I see it as a sore wound on the street. I want to see this street go in the right direction."

Diamante says the project brings people to live in a neighbourhood of galleries, restaurants and shops that need customers beyond a monthly art crawl.

"They won't be able to survive unless people are here all the time. Right now, after 5 or 6 p.m., there aren't many here," he said. "It would be part of a changing downtown."

But Diamante says there is no business case for restoring the theatre or remediating the site without building all 22 storeys and 106 units.

"We've looked at the numbers very carefully. It's risky as it is. It's touch and go, but I believe in it."

The proposal includes a "front of house" for the historic theatre with a lobby, washrooms, ticket kiosks, a café and a restaurant. That would cost somewhere between $3 million and $4 million.

The restoration of the heritage-protected theatre to working performance space and fundraising for it is to be handled by a non-profit group.

Jason Thorne, general manager of planning and economic development, says staff evaluated the proposal based on city policies and the context of the street. Tall buildings belong in some settings but not in all, he said.

"I hear that people want to see more people living in the area, but it's a question of the form it should take," he said, pointing out the 30-storey Connolly development a few kilometres south was endorsed by staff because it fits with what's around it.

"The restoration of the theatre is a very high priority and council will take that into account as well," said Thorne.

Public consultations on the proposal have generated plenty of positive response, but it's far from unanimous. James Street North property owner Dan Di Rocco says the development would "overwhelm" the street and "open the door to radical change" and "stand out like a sore thumb," he wrote to council.

The project's planning consultant Brenda Khes says there are unfounded rumours circulating that once the developer gets approval, he will tear down the theatre and build another condo tower behind it.

"That's just simply not true. This whole development is premised on saving the Tivoli. That's the whole reason for doing any of it. The Diamantes have a very, very soft spot in their hearts for the Tivoli."

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 4:46 PM

Tivoli Condos was just unanimously approved by City Council!

There are some new conditions:
- there will now be a 5 storey podium
- the tower must be further set back
- the historic 140-year-old Tivoli Theatre that will be attached to the back of the podium must be restored before any residential component can start construction

Quote:
CBC Hamilton: NEW | Tivoli 22-storey condo tower approved unanimously

Source

City council planning committee unanimously approved the proposal for a 22-storey condo tower on the site of the Tivoli Theatre on James Street North on Tuesday.

But there are conditions.

Under a modified comprise proposal, the city will require developers to put the structure on a five-storey podium, and give it a further step back from the street.

And the theatre must open first before the condos.

Ward 2 Coun. Jason Farr's compromise motion to planning committee put a series of conditions on the proposed 22-storey condominium project on James Street North, including ensuring one parking spot for every two units, an increase in the podium at the base of the building from three to five storeys, and setting back the high-rise further away from James North.

But in terms of height, no concessions were made.

full story...

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 9:53 PM

Some new info ---> https://www.thepublicrecord.ca/2016/02/tivoli-condo-development-moving-forward-heritage-pre-consultation-meeting/

It's slowly moving forward and they are currently working on the redesign.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 12:27 AM
Midtowner since 2K

This was all I could find in terms of more recent info with this project, Dated May 31st 2016:http://www.thespec.com/news-story/66...eady-progress/

"At best, it's going to take another three years … That's if everything moves along smoothly."

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals