HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jun 28, 2013, 5:39 PM

There have been offers to buy the church but the deal breaker has always been that the green space next to the church must be preserved. It's unfortunate that someone cannot seem to figure out how to run a business there without adding a whole bunch of asphalt, because it would be great to see a restaurant, bar or microbrew in that location.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 12:40 AM

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 12:12 PM

The declining congregations for a lot of these older inner city churches have been deferring repairs to try to keep afloat. This doesn't come without an increasing cost to eventual repairs and an advanced state of deterioration. We will probably see more of this situation as financially strapped congregations put their neglected churches on the real estate market. It is a sad state of affairs but I fear it will become more prevalent in the coming years without an active, well financed preservation strategy. Simply tagging a building with a heritage designation will not prevent deterioration and eventual collapse.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
The declining congregations for a lot of these older inner city churches have been deferring repairs to try to keep afloat. This doesn't come without an increasing cost to eventual repairs and an advanced state of deterioration. We will probably see more of this situation as financially strapped congregations put their neglected churches on the real estate market. It is a sad state of affairs but I fear it will become more prevalent in the coming years without an active, well financed preservation strategy. Simply tagging a building with a heritage designation will not prevent deterioration and eventual collapse.
It’s a huge problem. Very few congregations have somehow (I don’t think there’s one magic formula) managed to maintain their numbers, but most are in decline, particularly in core areas. These are also the congregations who are stewarding the most beautiful buildings, and the most difficult to care for.

When my wife and I decided to switch from the church in the city we used to live in, we went to James Baptist by chance on a week shortly following their decision to sell the building. It was obviously pretty emotional for them, and there was a lot of division- even those who had apparently supported trying to preserve the church and talked very passionately about the congregation’s duty to preserve its heritage, admitted that it would be an overwhelming challenge to try to raise funds, and that that would probably be extremely divisive for the congregation as well.

It’s a self-enforcing cycle, too. We’ve also attended Stanley Baptist a few times (another shrinking congregation in an old building whose maintenance costs will likely go up), but I think a lot of prospective members look at a congregation and want to make sure that it’s still a going concern. I think that there’s a tipping point beyond which a declining congregation finds it hard to attract younger members and preserve its numbers, when it needs to do so the most.

Big challenge. It’s great to hear when people are so aware of it, that’s the first step to addressing it appropriately (I have no idea how).

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 12:52 PM
It's Hammer Time

http://www.raisethehammer.org/articl...baptist_church

They've had four separate independent reports all saying the building has serious foundation problems.

You can see a rendering, looks like a tall tower behind the church facade. They are going to keep the church facade.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 2:51 PM

Renderings:

Source

Source

Only the shaded area will be retained if the demolition permit is approved:

Source

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 2:57 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

If most of it's being kept is loosing like the back quarter really a big deal?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
If most of it's being kept is loosing like the back quarter really a big deal?
It's the back 3 quarters that are being lost, most of it isn't being kept.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 3:04 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeIsThomas View Post
It's the back 3 quarters that are being lost, most of it isn't being kept.
I misjudged the render. Still the main streetfront is preserved, seems good to me. Or at least decent.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 3:11 PM
It's Hammer Time

Yea, the most important architectural part is at least being preserved.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 3:15 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

It would be nice if the attached tower were done in a gothic style to get a decent connection.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 3:16 PM

The interior of the church is such a wonderful space; I'm not sure the façade is the most important part. I'm happy they want to save part of it at least, though I'd like a little more detail about the rear-end of the proposed building.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 3:17 PM

Last edited by thomax; Sep 27, 2013 at 3:06 PM. Reason: delete

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 4:20 PM

Last edited by thomax; Sep 27, 2013 at 3:06 PM. Reason: delete

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 6:18 PM

Shouldn't the owners be sued for letting a provicially designated building fall into such disrepair that the only option is to demolish it 80% of the building (and thereby losing the important heritage elements of the building). Isn't the whole point of designating buildings to ensure that this exact thing doesn't happen?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 6:37 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

If they honestly can't afford it it isn't a big problem.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 7:30 PM
Ham-burgher

While the sale happened early this year this news is so sudden - the report and demo request. Wouldn't an examination of the building's condition been part of the buyer's due diligence???

There must be a way to at least incorporate the old stone and some of the interior components (after it's taken down, if the foundation issue is so serious) into the new building.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
...Wouldn't an examination of the building's condition been part of the buyer's due diligence???
You’re right. They shouldn’t be allowed to demolish it, just because they purchased a property without understanding all of the legal implications.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 8:09 PM
Ham-burgher

And aren't there options for temporarily supporting the walls until a more thorough plan can be developed?

I'd hope the report covers stuff like that.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 9:30 PM

Joey Coleman has posted the 129-page report on the structural state of James Street Baptist for download.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton