HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jul 17, 2007, 1:32 AM
Desert Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Anyone know what is going on with tower 2 of Centerpoint? It seems to have been sitting at the same floor level for months now.
They were constructing the 9th and 10th floor when I took this picture yesterday morning (taken from just north of Ash/University). Sorry - the pedestrian bridge is in the way of the 2nd tower, but you can get the gist.

It looked like they were finishing the 7th floor before going too high up on the second tower- and they still have a lot to do on the first. Patience, my friend, patience.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2007, 1:40 AM
Desert Dweller

For those interested, here is a shot of the Mosaic site. - Still no cranes, as expected. I took both photos yesterday morning.

Also, here is a photo of Hayden Ferry Lakeside from ASU Lot 59

Old Posted Jul 17, 2007, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxSprawler View Post
For those interested, here is a shot of the Mosaic site. - Still no cranes, as expected.
I didn't think they were starting until 08 on this project, but if they have a trailor there, I think that's more substantial than just fencing it off and putting up a sign. Any news on it?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2007, 4:14 PM
Desert Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbUNIT16 View Post
I didn't think they were starting until 08 on this project, but if they have a trailor there, I think that's more substantial than just fencing it off and putting up a sign. Any news on it?
According to their web site, they started selling units in March 07. Groundbreaking is planned for 9/27/07.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2007, 4:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
The airport got its start there about 50 years before any major highrise was built in Phoenix. You can't blame bad planning when the biplane was the height of aviation achievement at the time. But Phoenix has rightly kept the airport as it is and expanded it to accommodate for our population growth and to keep damn near every last bit of the aviation economy in the metro to itself. Phoenix would be stupid to give the airport up and north Tempe and East Phoenix would have gone to shit long ago if Sky Harbor was closed.

Secondly, the airport didn't kill that 114-story tower. It was to be built in an area outside the flight path. Phoenix leaders asked for a $50,000 feasibility study and the architect balked and walked away, by then the S&L crisis had eliminated speculative real-estate projects like that and the economy was tanking rapidly.

It was a long shot for so many reasons. The airport is last of them.

NOW HOLD on a minute, I'm not saying that phoenix should not have SKY HARBOR period. Of course every major city needs an airport. However what I am saying is that both places ( downtown and the airport) should have been planned FURTHER APART FROM EACH OTHER. Then the "sky "would be the limit" (hence "sky" ) on what a developer can create Iin either downtown.

For example, at one time the ARIZONA CARDINALS STADIUM was going to be located on the north bank of tempe town lake or north of the 202 freeway.

BUT concerns over the HEIGHT of the stadium was an issue that had "bothered" the FAA (sky harbor).
In addition, the is even bringing up concerns about the planned 30 story towers of the rest of the centerpoint project.

As a matter of fact someone from this forum had printed "phoenix is in the wrong fight" meaning that phoenix was challenging tempes condo projects and using the FAA as tool to some how put a dent in tempes projects, so that thiers can stick out.

But I brought that up to say that once again the airport is the center of debate.
To illustrate a point, look at how far the DENVER international airport, the DALLAS FORT-WORTH AIRPORT, CHICAGO O HARE and even TUCSON'S AIRPORT are away from the local downtowns. Between these airports I have listed the average distance is between 10 and 15 miles with DENVERS being the furthest away at 20 miles.
Thats the way the sky harbor and downtown should of been planned. 15 miles or more apart from Dtwn Phoenix or Tempe
DOWNTOWN WAS ESTABLISHED BEFORE THE AIRPORT!!!
so therefore who ever built the airport should have built it FURTHER AWAY.
THAT ALL I'M SAYING

Old Posted Jul 18, 2007, 4:40 AM

dont get me wrong

Quote:
The airport got its start there about 50 years before any major highrise was built in Phoenix. You can't blame bad planning when the biplane was the height of aviation achievement at the time. But Phoenix has rightly kept the airport as it is and expanded it to accommodate for our population growth and to keep damn near every last bit of the aviation economy in the metro to itself. Phoenix would be stupid to give the airport up and north Tempe and East Phoenix would have gone to shit long ago if Sky Harbor was closed.

Secondly, the airport didn't kill that 114-story tower. It was to be built in an area outside the flight path. Phoenix leaders asked for a $50,000 feasibility study and the architect balked and walked away, by then the S&L crisis had eliminated speculative real-estate projects like that and the economy was tanking rapidly.

It was a long shot for so many reasons. The airport is last of them.

NOW HOLD on a minute, I'm not saying that phoenix should not have SKY HARBOR period. Of course every major city needs an airport. However what I am saying is that both places ( downtown and the airport) should have been planned FURTHER APART FROM EACH OTHER. Then the "sky "would be the limit" (hence "sky" ) on what a developer can create In either downtown.

For example, at one time the ARIZONA CARDINALS STADIUM was going to be located on the north bank of tempe town lake or north of the 202 freeway.

BUT concerns over the HEIGHT of the stadium was an issue that had "bothered" the FAA (sky harbor), which is one of the reasons why its now located where its at (Glendale).
In addition, the FAA is even bringing up concerns about the planned 30 story towers of the rest of the centerpoint project.

As a matter of fact someone from this forum had printed "phoenix is in the wrong fight" meaning that phoenix was challenging tempes condo projects and using the FAA as tool to some how put a dent in tempes projects, so that thiers can stick out.

But I brought that up to say that once again the airport is the center of debate.
To illustrate a point, look at how far the DENVER international airport, the DALLAS FORT-WORTH AIRPORT, CHICAGO O HARE and even TUCSON'S AIRPORT are away from the local downtowns. Between these airports I have listed the average distance is between 10 and 15 miles with DENVERS being the furthest away at 20 miles.
Thats the way the sky harbor and downtown should of been planned. 15 miles or more apart from Dtwn Phoenix or Tempe

As it stands the distance between Dtwn. Phx. and sky harbor is only 3 miles and about the same to Dtwn. tempe
Dtwn San Diego is in a very identical situation, however thier airport is even a little closer to the Dtwn. section.

That should not be, otherwise the chance of one of those planes running into one of those towers is great.
GOD FORBID THAT EVER HAPPENS, but in realilty that posibility is there. which is why Im stressing that Downtowns and airports should not be close to each other.

THAT ALL I'M SAYING

Last edited by ljbuild; Jul 18, 2007 at 4:53 AM.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2007, 5:03 AM

OOPS , accidental 2nd posting.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2007, 5:12 AM
them bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljbuild View Post
NOW HOLD on a minute, I'm not saying that phoenix should not have SKY HARBOR period. Of course every major city needs an airport. However what I am saying is that both places ( downtown and the airport) should have been planned FURTHER APART FROM EACH OTHER. Then the "sky "would be the limit" (hence "sky" ) on what a developer can create In either downtown.

BUT concerns over the HEIGHT of the stadium was an issue that had "bothered" the FAA (sky harbor), which is one of the reasons why its now located where its at (Glendale).
In addition, the FAA is even bringing up concerns about the planned 30 story towers of the rest of the centerpoint project.

As it stands the distance between Dtwn. Phx. and sky harbor is only 3 miles and about the same to Dtwn. tempe
Dtwn San Diego is in a very identical situation, however thier airport is even a little closer to the Dtwn. section.

That should not be, otherwise the chance of one of those planes running into one of those towers is great.
GOD FORBID THAT EVER HAPPENS, but in realilty that posibility is there. which is why Im stressing that Downtowns and airports should not be close to each other.

THAT ALL I'M SAYING
Wow...do you know anything about the history of Sky Harbor, Phoenix, Tempe, or the real reasons why the Cardinals Stadium ended up not in Tempe but in Glendale? Me thinks not...

Old Posted Jul 18, 2007, 5:22 AM
under the influence...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxSprawler View Post
According to their web site, they started selling units in March 07. Groundbreaking is planned for 9/27/07.
Mosaic's groundbreaking was supposed to be this week.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2007, 4:10 PM
Desert Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertex View Post
Mosaic's groundbreaking was supposed to be this week.
I'm sure if the real estate market was doing better, they would have started months ago! I hope the 9/27 date remains in tact.

Maybe selling out would help. Any buyers?

Old Posted Jul 18, 2007, 5:36 PM
under the influence...

They can keep advertising all they want, but sales will remain sluggish because of the prices they're asking.

Honestly, I can't imagine where the costs come from. They practically stole the lot from Gentle Strength....

Old Posted Jul 18, 2007, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertex View Post
They can keep advertising all they want, but sales will remain sluggish because of the prices they're asking.

Honestly, I can't imagine where the costs come from. They practically stole the lot from Gentle Strength....
yeah no way i would pay 600 and 700 bucks a square feet to live in average tempe. The neighborhoods surronding Mosaic arent the best neighborhoods, and compared to the neighborhoods spouting around Fashion Square, the neighboorhood south of University looks like the ghetto.

Theyre goign to have to lower their prices by at least 150 dollars a square foot.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2007, 6:59 PM
Desert Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwonger06 View Post
yeah no way i would pay 600 and 700 bucks a square feet to live in average tempe. The neighborhoods surronding Mosaic arent the best neighborhoods, and compared to the neighborhoods spouting around Fashion Square, the neighboorhood south of University looks like the ghetto.

Theyre goign to have to lower their prices by at least 150 dollars a square foot.
I read in another thread that the going rate is about $500 per square foot for high-rise condos in the area- not inlcuding land. New build single family homes and resells are still in the $200 per square foot range - including land. The spread amazed me, and puts into perspective why we cannot have affordable skyrise condos in Tempe or Phoenix.

On a different note, the neighborhood surrounding Mosaic is improving quickly. The neighborhood to the south has charm beyond what is expected of a mostly rental community. College students aren't known for improving value of rental homes. Although it is not aesthetically beautiful, that area is improving quickly and will be more desireable when the growth kicks in.

Having said that, I wouldn't want to live there right now. The bus stop in front of Chase and the Circle K are still a bit scary to walk by at certian hours. I suppose a bit of fear and smelly panhandlers are part of the urban living draw.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2007, 11:24 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljbuild View Post
NOW HOLD on a minute, I'm not saying that phoenix should not have SKY HARBOR period. Of course every major city needs an airport. However what I am saying is that both places ( downtown and the airport) should have been planned FURTHER APART FROM EACH OTHER. Then the "sky "would be the limit" (hence "sky" ) on what a developer can create Iin either downtown.
Your rationale for wanting this utopia "sky's the limit" for downtown Phoenix is somewhat misguided. Part of the problem we are having downtown is the plethora of high-rise zoning where we have rolled out the red carpet for developers but have ended up with less than what we started with. Compare the neighborhoods west of Central--south of Fillmore HR zoning is everywhere--and so are the vacant lots. To the north, HR zoning is comparatively rare, and that neighborhood is thriving compared to the rest of the downtown area.

When you up-zone, yes, you can extract more value out of the land--but that value is only realized after you demolish what's there and build. It is why I'm annoyed so much at that constant state of flux--razing something functional in hopes of something better only works when developers are real and the market is there. Given that so few developers in Phoenix are real, the market is soft, the whole area is overzoned, and ultimately, demolitions are far easier than new builds, we have the problems we have today.

In Tempe, the issue is just starting. Long Wong's has been gone for 2 years and we might see the Seventh and Mill hotel project ready for occupancy by 2010. Five years for a prime parcel in a functioning downtown? Come on. The Arches is another interesting case--University Square developers lost their court case and absent a massive buyout that project won't start groundbreaking until 2012. I am not sorry to see the Arches go, but it puts people on the street better than a vacant lot for time immemorial.

None of this was an issue until Tempe spec'd out appropriate building heights--yes, it was going to happen anyway, but it's really not all smiles und sunshine. You should quit thinking high-rise developers are the end-all solution to downtowns' quagmires. It makes you look like a tool.

Quote:

BUT concerns over the HEIGHT of the stadium was an issue that had "bothered" the FAA (sky harbor).
In addition, the is even bringing up concerns about the planned 30 story towers of the rest of the centerpoint project.

The stadium would have worked wonderfully on Mill and Washington but the FAA confirmed issues that were shared among Phoenix, the carriers, and the pilots. This on top of the backhanded lobbying from various interests that didn't help the situation either. Your thinking that the FAA and Sky Harbor are one and the same only confuses the issue. The FAA exists to manage safety, not make one downtown better than an another.

Nor do I really don't think Phoenix gives a flying fuck about Tempe's condo market. What Phoenix is trying to cultivate and what Tempe is today are two vastly different animals. Phoenix cares about their airport far more than they do about their downtown condos. They care that their tenant carriers won't pack up and leave because the surrounding area has gotten unreasonably tall.

Quote:
THAT ALL I'M SAYING
The airport is not the center of the debate--there's almost no debate except for a spat here and there with its roots in a historical argument that is basically fixed. Tempe has been bitching about overflight issues for years--the "Northwest 2000" realignment of flight paths was supposed to change that and Phoenix to its credit retrofitted plenty of Tempe houses....many of which have been demolished for new development. Now it's not about overflights and noise, but building heights.

Centerpoint is too tall by about six stories according to Phoenix's generic rules of thumb. They had reasons to complain, especially when one of their carriers had issues with it. But since the FAA said "no hazard," which Tempe now requires of any new construction, there's no complaint anymore.

With Marina Heights--you can only look at the before and after diagrams to know that SunCor barely knows what they want for this site. Yes, building heights were chopped for the airport, but the square footage wasn't made up elsewhere. It's all back-of-the-envelope at this stage. But the entire process was an amicable intergovernmental non-issue that was barely covered anywhere. As Tempe ponders its own density and what it considers livable, Phoenix's airport makes decisions easy.

But, yes, maybe the airport itself should have been built further away--but it's such a moot point it's barely worth discussing tho you seem balls-to-the-walls about it like it's gonna happen tomorrow. Denver's is only far away because they were fortunate enough to move it within city limits. It just won't happen in Phoenix.

There are a million historical "should haves" that would have given us two tall, functioning downtowns. The airport, as I said before, is probably last on that list.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2007, 11:47 PM
Skyriser

And one last thing--the sprawl that distant airports invite is almost always inexcusable. Denver is doing well by filling up the old Stapleton site with dense, infill development, but it doesn't balance with the exurban mess that E-470 will create like the 101/202 does for the Phoenix area.

A master plan comparable to Stapleton for Sky Harbor if it were closed just couldn't exist with no damn money along Gordon's "Opportunity Corridor."--sometimes the airport so close is that area's last saving grace. You only have to look at Deer Valley, the Scottsdale Airpark, Chandler Muni, or Williams Gateway to realise the draining detrimental effect periphery airport-related development has on the center city. I would much rather compromise with occasionally shortened buildings (still with good density) all the while having a centrally located airport/economic engine keeping the money close to home...where it belongs.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2007, 4:15 PM

University Square is now pushed out to 2012 ?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2007, 4:33 PM

Anyone know what they are going to do with the piece of land just east of the new Cine Capri. That landfill, or whatever it is, is such an eye sore and maybe a health hazard for all i know.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2007, 8:12 AM
under the influence...

Quote:
The Arches is another interesting case--University Square developers lost their court case and absent a massive buyout that project won't start groundbreaking until 2012. I am not sorry to see the Arches go, but it puts people on the street better than a vacant lot for time immemorial.
Can you shed a little more light on this University Square court case?

Old Posted Jul 22, 2007, 11:07 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he's saying 2012, because that is when Dave's Dog House's lease expires. We've seen no progress at all with them as far as negotiations, so I think he's assuming that Dave's lives out its lease.

I really wish the developer would just allow Dave's to occupy a ground floor retail space at University Square, that would be awesome! I love Dave's, but he is really upsetting me with his stubbornness! Really, I mean, having your restaurant surrounded by fences for 5 years really would not be appealing!

Old Posted Jul 23, 2007, 5:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbUNIT16 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he's saying 2012, because that is when Dave's Dog House's lease expires. We've seen no progress at all with them as far as negotiations, so I think he's assuming that Dave's lives out its lease.

I really wish the developer would just allow Dave's to occupy a ground floor retail space at University Square, that would be awesome! I love Dave's, but he is really upsetting me with his stubbornness! Really, I mean, having your restaurant surrounded by fences for 5 years really would not be appealing!
That's not the point. He signed a long term lease, spent hundreds of thousands of dollars fixing up his restaurant, and developed a strong customer base directly across the street from one of the biggest universities in the country only to have the landlord that he signed the long-term lease with get greedy and sellout to deep-pocketed investors. Is that Dave's fault? No. So, they either need to fairly compensate him or let him ride out the lease.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest