HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
Chatham-Kent has a University of Guelph campus in Ridgetown (Veterinary school and agricultural sciences). Chatham also has St. Clair College Thames Campus. I don't think there is any university in Lambton county (only Lambton College in Sarnia)
Sarnia (pop 71.5K) has no university, but it does have Lambton College and a Western University "campus" :

http://sarnialambtonresearchpark.ca/
"Western Sarnia-Lambton Research Park
For over a decade, the Western Sarnia-Lambton Research Park has served as a strong link between concept and commerce, and a key contributor to the movement of an idea or a discovery from the lab bench to the marketplace. The Research Park's Commercialization Centre is Canada's largest clean-tech incubator, focused on large-scale industrial biotechnology."

Brampton is for sure a much bigger city, but it sits in the GTA with several universities in close proximity. Sarnia's closest are an hour away in London or 1.5 hrs away in Windsor. This might not seem like much, but growing up in Sarnia it certainly felt like far away. Especially without good public transportation links in or out of the city. Trains used to be more frequent, but the Greyhound has long since left. The supplementary Robert Q bus is no great compromise. Sarnia also used to have a larger population, and has actually shrunk since peaking in the 90's, from 74K to 71.5K, and Lambton County shrunk from 127K to 123.5K. I feel like not having a university contributes to this fact, as everyone who wants a post-secondary education leaves, and most never come back. I am one.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 2:50 AM
I am a typical

Northern Ontario is very soviet in its access to post-secondary education. It's actually hard to think of a town with no post-secondary campus of any kind.

Sudbury (Laurentian), Thunder Bay (Lakehead), Sault Ste. Marie (Algoma) and North Bay (Nipissing) all have universities.

Timmins is Northern Ontario's 5th largest city, and while it doesn't have it's own university based there, it does have a campus of Université de Hearst, which is a federated school of Laurentian University.

Kenora, the 6th largest city in the north, has a campus of Confederation College but no university. So, at 15,000 people, it is our region's largest city without a university.

Elliot Lake, the 7th largest with 10,000, has no college campus either. (It used to have 3, they've all since closed.) So you have to get down to a community of 10,000 people to find yourself without access to post-secondary institutions.

But Hearst, population 5,000: A University. (Federated school of Laurentian University.) Named after it, too! The only one named after its home town in Northern Ontario!

Moosonee, with 1,700 people, is the smallest community with post secondary education in Northern Ontario, provided by Northern College, which maintains a small campus there.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 2:58 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Richmond BC, pop abt. 200,000 does not have an actual university, although it may have some branch campuses, perhaps someone can clarify that.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 3:57 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
Richmond BC, pop abt. 200,000 does not have an actual university, although it may have some branch campuses, perhaps someone can clarify that.
Kwantlen though

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
Doesn't PA have a U of S satellite campus?

Moose Jaw has Siast if we're considering trade schools.
PA does have campuses for USask and SIAST, but the former only allows students to complete a year or two of their program before they have to go to Saskatoon.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 4:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
I don`t think that valid. Every city has a suburb without a university. I think it`s more access to a university that is not part of the greater transit system. For example, Kitchener has about 220,000 but no university because they are next door in Waterloo. Levis and Dartmouth don`t have a university but are just across the bridge from Laval and Dalhousie respectively. Artificial municipal boundaries doesn`t mean a the citizens have no university.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 4:59 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
If you consider it a standalone city (well it has its own CMA), Barrie ON is probably the largest city in Canada without a university.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Although it does have a community college.
Georgian College is a pretty sizeable community college, so Barrie does have a substantial post-secondary institution.

Laurentian University had been planning a Barrie campus. I don't think it's there yet.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 5:03 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
I don`t think that valid. Every city has a suburb without a university. I think it`s more access to a university that is not part of the greater transit system. For example, Kitchener has about 220,000 but no university because they are next door in Waterloo. Levis and Dartmouth don`t have a university but are just across the bridge from Laval and Dalhousie respectively. Artificial municipal boundaries doesn`t mean a the citizens have no university.
Kitchener has a campus of the University of Wateroo (Health Sciences/Pharmacy) and Wilfrid Laurier (Social work programmes). Similarly, the UW school of Architecture is located in Cambridge.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horus View Post
Kitchener has a campus of the University of Wateroo (Health Sciences/Pharmacy) and Wilfrid Laurier (Social work programmes). Similarly, the UW school of Architecture is located in Cambridge.
Kitchener has a university - it just decided to build it in Waterloo!

McMaster also has a School of Family Medicine in DTK.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 5:09 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Newmarket (pop ~85,000) has no University and a soon-to-be-closed branch of Seneca College. You could argue the college was never there anyway as it only operated a storefront in a strip mall.

Newmarket is close to the proposed pie-in-the-sky private Queensville University that will likely never be built in any of our lifetimes.
http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2015/02/...s-construction

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 5:11 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Kitchener has a university - it just decided to build it in Waterloo!

McMaster also has a School of Family Medicine in DTK.

The UW School of Pharmacy is at the corner of King and Victoria. That seems pretty Kitchener to me

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 5:13 PM

Quote:
The UW School of Pharmacy is at the corner of King and Victoria. That seems pretty Kitchener to me
Yes, and WLU's School of Social Work is right behind City Hall, so also pretty Kitchener.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 6:28 PM

Clearly we have a different view of what a 'city without a university' means.

I don't think some arbitrary municipal boundary means a city doesn't have a university or I guess Vaughn would win the prize as it has 300,000 and no university despite the fact that York U literally borders it. To potential students this doesn't matter but rather if the university is accessible by transit within a reasonable amount of time and within the metropolitan area. To put it planely, could your kids go to a university without having to leave home.

I still say Barrie and Sarnia and especially Sarnia as at least Barrie has GO rail connections right to York U. Sarnia/Lambton I think has the dubious honour of being the most isolated major city without any access to a university. Western is an hour drive and Windsor 1.5.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 9:47 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Clearly we have a different view of what a 'city without a university' means.

I don't think some arbitrary municipal boundary means a city doesn't have a university or I guess Vaughn would win the prize as it has 300,000 and no university despite the fact that York U literally borders it. To potential students this doesn't matter but rather if the university is accessible by transit within a reasonable amount of time and within the metropolitan area. To put it planely, could your kids go to a university without having to leave home.

I still say Barrie and Sarnia and especially Sarnia as at least Barrie has GO rail connections right to York U. Sarnia/Lambton I think has the dubious honour of being the most isolated major city without any access to a university. Western is an hour drive and Windsor 1.5.
Although you have a logical point, the title of the thread is "Largest municipalities in Canada without a university?", where the OP refers to Airdrie, part of the Calgary CMA, ergo he is referring to individual municipalities, even ones within large CMAs, and not CMAs themselves.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 2:38 PM
Montérégien

In Québec, the top 10 municipalities without post-secondary education facilities are all located in suburban Montreal :
1 - Brossard (87,9k)
2 - Repentigny (84,7k)
3 - Blainville (58,9k)
4 - Mirabel (53,3k)
5 - Dollard-Des Ormeaux (51,4k)
6 - Châteauguay (49,0k)
7 - Mascouche (47,9k)
8 - Saint-Eustache (45,2k)
9 - Boucherville (42,2k)
10 - Vaudreuil-Dorion (38,7k)

As for CAs or CMAs, the list goes as follows :
1 - Dolbeau-Mistassini (15,7k)
2 - Sainte-Marie (13,8k)
3 - Cowansville (13,7k)
4 - Lachute (12,9k)

Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 5:39 PM
ハルウララ

So Barrie is the winner of this thread, yes?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 5:43 PM

^ Not by a long shot. Vaughn wins the prize having 320,000 people and no university despite bordering York U the 2nd largest university in the country, followed by Oakville despite being a 15 minute bus ride from 2 university campuses.....UT Mississauga and McMaster Burlington.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 5:57 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
^ Not by a long shot. Vaughn wins the prize having 320,000 people and no university despite bordering York U the 2nd largest university in the country, followed by Oakville despite being a 15 minute bus ride from 2 university campuses.....UT Mississauga and McMaster Burlington.
Both Vaughan and Oakville are within the Toronto CMA, though. Barrie is actually its own standalone place and still doesn't have any post-secondary institutions. It's easy for Oakville to not have any given its location.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 6:11 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Both Vaughan and Oakville are within the Toronto CMA, though. Barrie is actually its own standalone place and still doesn't have any post-secondary institutions. It's easy for Oakville to not have any given its location.
Last time I checked, Georgian College was in Barrie and is a post-secondary institution.

Laurentian University also offers a Social Work program that is conducted on the Georgian College Barrie campus. Laurentian had been proposing a full Barrie campus, but that doesn't seem to have happened just yet.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 6:42 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Last time I checked, Georgian College was in Barrie and is a post-secondary institution.
Ah, I don't think I caught that from the first page.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada