HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 1:47 PM
AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeanuts View Post
The parking lot next to bulldogs has also been fenced off now. It looks like it may just be temporary though.

Also I live in midtown and I agree that there has been steadily more and more foot traffic especiallly spring street and Peachtree place and from metropolis to viewpoint, but I stick around 10th to 5th so I don't know about other parts of midtown
The parking lot next to bulldogs will be fenced off for a long time because of the construction of Hanover Midtown

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
Same here...let's not be synical. People walking up there is not by any means a normal occurrence. I don't understand people not living in reality. I recall a couple of years ago, people on here tried to tell me that people ride their bikes to Happy Hour, Two Urban Licks, and South City Kitchen. Smh.
I walked from Spire to the Alliance last night with a group of friends for A Christmas Carol, and afterwards quite a large group left by foot and dispersed through midtown. Seemed pretty normal to me...

Ok, enough feeding the troll.

Back to development!

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 4:10 PM

How many cranes will there be in Midtown once The Standard, GA Tech HPC, and Hanover cranes are all up? I figure it has to be 12 to 15.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpk1292000 View Post
How many cranes will there be in Midtown once The Standard, GA Tech HPC, and Hanover cranes are all up? I figure it has to be 12 to 15.
None of these three have cranes up yet. They are all still doing site prep at this point.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinman View Post
None of these three have cranes up yet. They are all still doing site prep at this point.
He asked how many there would be once they had their cranes up. I don't think he ever said they had their cranes up.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 7:27 PM

It looks like NCR Phase 2 is starting. On the webcam they have 3 or 4 pieces of digging equipment digging on the phase 2 portion of the property.

http://webcampub.multivista.com/inde...F-8946503B6451

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrptree View Post
Yes all good points. I have to disagree about midtown 20+ years ago and even worse 30 years ago. Think of the Biltmore abandoned with half the windows broken out. Besides the residential east of Juniper, there was a few large residential developments. Large stretches of Peachtree Street south of 14th and north of Ponce, including all of Cyprus and a good bit of Juniper were home to more hookers and drug dealers than anything. Slowly developments like Mayfair came on line, then the development of Peachtree lofts post Olympics and ultimately metropolis really started the ball rolling.

Bottom line things are so much better today from a residential standpoint in Midtown you can't even compare. Retail is also better but obviously not perfect. Keep in mind that not every sub area of every city has a perfect mix of uses. I have friends in the Upper Westside of Manhattan who gripe they don't have enough grocery stores close by ( within a few blocks). The market (demand) ultimately determines the mix of sustainable retail. Don't also lose sight that we are living in a time of increasing e-commerce where many people (like me) do very little shopping in person. I disagree with whoever stated that Ponce city market is pulling retail from Midtown. Ponce city market is more of an attraction with boutique shops versus a true shopping center in my IMHO.
The only advantage Midtown had 20 years ago over today was the concentration of gay bars that generated nighttime traffic between about 6th and 10th Streets...Backstreet/Armory/Bulldogs/Blake's/Club Anytime/etc. caused a lot of pedestrians between them around Peachtree but today it's much more of a livable neighborhood. The thousands of new residents in Midtown have brought a lot more foot traffic at all times of day and night.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpk1292000 View Post
Wow it will be exciting to see a dozen or more cranes up at the same time around Midtown!! Can't wait!!

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lifealex View Post
I will have to agree with the majority here Midtown definitely has more pedestrian traffic than in years past. Midtown was dead on Thanksgiving as the person who started this conversation said but I think that's to be expected it's Thanksgiving, had he seen Midtown on a more regular day maybe this conversation would have never started.
I have spent one Thanksgiving in Atlanta-- Friday night it seemed like the whole city was abandoned-- we traveled from Inman Park to Midtown in about 5 minutes not a car in sight at 7pm. Atlanta is a town of relocated strangers and transfers that mostly go out of town for holidays. Thanksgiving is, in short, NOT a very good time to judge the city's liveliness in any case.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge View Post
I have spent one Thanksgiving in Atlanta-- Friday night it seemed like the whole city was abandoned-- we traveled from Inman Park to Midtown in about 5 minutes not a car in sight at 7pm. Atlanta is a town of relocated strangers and transfers that mostly go out of town for holidays. Thanksgiving is, in short, NOT a very good time to judge the city's liveliness in any case.
Funny you say considering from what I've heard, that Friday after Thanksgiving was some of the most packed the Beltline ever was so clearly there were some people in town.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kh9142 View Post
I walked from Spire to the Alliance last night with a group of friends for A Christmas Carol, and afterwards quite a large group left by foot and dispersed through midtown. Seemed pretty normal to me...

Ok, enough feeding the troll.

Back to development!
It's very small minded when someone feels they can make a rebuttal and the conversation ends. Smh. It's also small minded when some disagrees and now they are considered to be a troll. Laughable....at any rate whether you think I'm in Atlanta long enough to base an opinion is on you. I spend about 4 solid months in Atlanta. I've die hard friends of the city, and I'm a huge fan of Atlanta. I...like others would like for Atlanta to grow and have great energy with countless options for entertainment. I'm not the one to simply say everything is great, just because they are some things better than before. Keep in mind , I've not said anything that was negative. Wanting more out of the city is something I truly believe most of us wants for the city of Atlanta. I don't think it's wise to think every thing is so cool and vibrant, and full of excitement and energy...we'll become ignorant to reality.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaden View Post
Not accurate. Los Angeles is only 6 years younger than SF. SF founded in 1776, and LA founded in 1781. Both were incorporated in 1850. Chicago was settled around the 1780's but wasn't big enough to be incorporated until 1833. NY is the only one significantly older-being founded in the 1600's.

Atlanta is way younger than any of those. Atlanta is young even by American standards-1837 as a railroad stake, 1843 as Marthasville, and 1847 as city of Atlanta.
OMG, are you really being serious? You're not looking at the big picture as far as this conversation. There are plenty of cities that were established at a certain time that doesn't have a metropolis today. There are cities that have preserved buildings and some that have abandoned buildings that in today's standards can create a certain vibe. My statement was specifically about the downtowns of both cities. Just take a look at the skylines of both cities in the 80's.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Funny you say considering from what I've heard, that Friday after Thanksgiving was some of the most packed the Beltline ever was so clearly there were some people in town.
Just relating my own experience-- Traffic (the auto kind) was almost non-existent.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 9:27 PM

In construction news, a bunch of porta-potties got delivered today to the Alexan 880 (Drew Eckl & Farnham) site. Now that there are plenty of places to pee, a wrecking ball should be imminent.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
In construction news, a bunch of porta-potties got delivered today to the Alexan 880 (Drew Eckl & Farnham) site. Now that there are plenty of places to pee, a wrecking ball should be imminent.
Thanks for the update! It's gonna be awesome having so many projects within such close proximity under development.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
It's very small minded when someone feels they can make a rebuttal and the conversation ends. Smh. It's also small minded when some disagrees and now they are considered to be a troll. Laughable....at any rate whether you think I'm in Atlanta long enough to base an opinion is on you. I spend about 4 solid months in Atlanta. I've die hard friends of the city, and I'm a huge fan of Atlanta. I...like others would like for Atlanta to grow and have great energy with countless options for entertainment. I'm not the one to simply say everything is great, just because they are some things better than before. Keep in mind , I've not said anything that was negative. Wanting more out of the city is something I truly believe most of us wants for the city of Atlanta. I don't think it's wise to think every thing is so cool and vibrant, and full of excitement and energy...we'll become ignorant to reality.
I'm not saying it's great or perfect, but it can't happen overnight. It's growing, changing, evolving. I'm really not sure what is missing from Midtown... or definitely unsure what will be missing in about 24 months when the developments currently (or soon to be) underway are complete.

Anyway, it does seem that every time a crane is removed, another is installed. The level of development is insane! I did see some construction workers going into the former NewSouth building on West Peachtree today, so maybe the Northside Medical Building may be imminent? Have we seen a rendering of its parking deck along Spring?

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I find it hilarious how Eviva was one of the very first highrises proposed in Midtown this cycle and so far like 15-20 highrises have broken ground before it has. Just seems like gross negligence of the management of Integral or maybe the project was just too much of an undertaking because so far, it looks like they've only done midrises and garden apartments based on their profile.
It's also funny how those who have sat on projects are now rushing to get them moving because of all the midtown job growth.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 1:05 AM

Browsing Nashville's page and noticed their new hotel. Considering the resemblance to our dear Kroger, I thought I'd share:

http://www.tennessean.com/story/mone...ille/94277148/

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 1:50 AM

Eerily similar to the Kroger development...good catch.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 5:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlwarrior View Post
It's also funny how those who have sat on projects are now rushing to get them moving because of all the midtown job growth.
Part of the reason development has been stunted up until the last 6 months or so is because of the two stadiums under construction. They held up a lot of local construction labor and local construction materials costs were increased because of them. Both of them are now topped out and really only have the outer facade and interior work to be completed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations