HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 4:13 AM

Meanwhile, an indication that the party is not winding down anytime soon...

Houston energy hiring far exceeds past two years

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 6:47 PM

The Texas Medical Center is planning to open a business accelerator in the old Nabisco plant. The building was previously refurbished, so I'm not sure if any additional work will be done on it.

Texas Medical Center to open 'country's largest' life-sciences accelerator

Meanwhile, Dynegy, which is downtown, is expanding its business

Dynegy acquires Duke assets, others for $6.25 billion

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 7:36 PM

This week's HBJ has a quick summary of projects in Fort Bend County. Memorial Hermann's expansion is mentioned, as is Methodist's $131 million capital improvement program and Nalco Champion's new offices. Also mentioned is a new campus for Fluor (I believe the project was mentioned in this thread as long as a year ago, but there are only sketchy details). It's still early days, but a campus with as much as 1 million sf of space will be built on 50 acres at 59 and University Boulevard, so this is a biggie.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2014, 4:04 AM

Can Houston build 21,000 apartments a year?

Demand for Houston apartments is at an all-time high

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 5:41 PM

They can, but it's getting more expensive, as demand and costs for construction workers goes up.

In building boom, construction workers gain the upper hand

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 12:08 AM

A parcel changes hands at Lakes on Post Oak, presumably for a highrise residential building. Buyer is rumored to be Trammell Crow.

New multifamily project to rise in Galleria area

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 12:10 AM

Last edited by toxteth o'grady; Aug 28, 2014 at 12:25 AM.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 1:31 AM

http://www.onlykaty.com/the-grand-ne...-open-in-2012/

Weird and it right next to katy mills

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 1:37 AM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbryanisbeastx View Post
http://www.onlykaty.com/the-grand-ne...-open-in-2012/

Weird and it right next to katy mills
The article is from 2009. Any recent info on this development? I am hoping something which has a similar retail concept, with less asphalt, will replace this proposal.

-sb

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 3:19 AM

Houston has caught the attention of Al Jazeera.

Immigrants reshape Houston, America’s most diverse metropolis

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxteth o'grady View Post

Thanks for the good read. We almost have it all except for real mass transit.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxteth o'grady View Post

"Every refugee family is given a temporary starter package of a furnished apartment, food stamps and health insurance funded by the State and Health and Human Services departments."

We can take care of illegal immigrants, but what about Americans? What about our veterans who served? What about our enormous homeless population? What about people who have been laid off & out of work since the recession? What about student loans people can't pay back because they have been out of work for so long & can't find a decent paying job in their field?

This article represents everything that is wrong with America.

If you want to come here you better have money saved up already & not depend on OUR government to do it for you. No other country does this except the US & it really pisses me off to no end. MY tax dollars are being used to feed, house, clothe, educate, & even provide FREE medical care for these very people, many of which who despise us in their homelands.

I'm all for diversity, just don't do it on my dime.

Last edited by Metro Matt; Aug 28, 2014 at 4:58 PM.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
"Every refugee family is given a temporary starter package of a furnished apartment, food stamps and health insurance funded by the State and Health and Human Services departments."

We can take care of illegal immigrants, but what about Americans?
These are not undocumenteds, these are refugees - similar to the Cuban boat people or most of the Vietnamese. The important part is they have support networks, so that when the temporary aid ends, they have other resources to draw on.

At the moment, Houston has labor shortages - mostly for engineers and skilled laborers. Having more carpenters should get more houses built, and that seems to be a big unmet need.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 9:00 PM

New apartments may be coming next to BBVA Compass Stadium, thanks to JLB. So says Swamplot.

Land Is Being Cleared for New Apartments Next to the Soccer Stadium

And the Broadstone apartments - one 8 stories, the other 5 stories - are set to start on September 8.

The 2 New Apartment Buildings Just West of Downtown That Alliance Residential Hasn’t Even Announced, but Is About To Start Building

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post

We can take care of illegal immigrants, but what about Americans? What about our veterans who served? What about our enormous homeless population? What about people who have been laid off & out of work since the recession? What about student loans people can't pay back because they have been out of work for so long & can't find a decent paying job in their field?

This article represents everything that is wrong with America.

If you want to come here you better have money saved up already & not depend on OUR government to do it for you. No other country does this except the US & it really pisses me off to no end. MY tax dollars are being used to feed, house, clothe, educate, & even provide FREE medical care for these very people, many of which who despise us in their homelands.

I'm all for diversity, just don't do it on my dime.
Don't even know where to start, or really care how long this post & replies last on the board.

Have you ever bothered to learn about the refugee process? Ever volunteers for a refugee organization, or worked with one? You sound like you have no idea what you're talking about, which is pretty sad because you seem to care about the issue.

It has nothing to do with illegal immigrants. It has everything to do with religious minorities, oppressed and threatened ethnic groups, and people caught in horrible conflicts (often ones that we have a direct hand in instigating).

Take some time to educate yourself on what refugees go through just to get the chance to come to America, then look at all of the programs that do go towards veterans and homeless people, then post an intelligent and sensible message.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2014, 12:03 AM

I think that Metro Matt was only referring to illegals, and I agree with him.

Furthermore, I think it's time for America to stop taking in refugees; enough is enough. The only reason they are refugees is because our own government is funding the radicals, gives them weapons to start killing and naturally, our government wants to step in and pose as saviors. This country loves war, and destabilizes the world on purpose, even wants to start World War 3 with Russia and bomb Syria to help Al-Qaeda terrorist, crazy!!!

Yes, we have labor shortages, but who's to say they will want to work in say construction in the Texas heat? You can't force them to work, and why work when you can get good benefits/welfare? That's why dummies like me pay high taxes.

Anyways, back on what he said, diversity is good I suppose. All I ask is for people to respect one another, embrace liberty, work hard, don't vote to take my rights away like owning a gun but instead vote for economic and social freedom (as in, less government which is corrupt by nature and wants you on the government dough), and earn their way in life.

Back on topic, One Market Square is schedule to start 4Q 2014!!! Disappointed it's staying at 41 floors, but anyways, it's happening!!!

Old Posted Aug 29, 2014, 2:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucleareaction View Post
Don't even know where to start, or really care how long this post & replies last on the board.

Have you ever bothered to learn about the refugee process? Ever volunteers for a refugee organization, or worked with one? You sound like you have no idea what you're talking about, which is pretty sad because you seem to care about the issue.

It has nothing to do with illegal immigrants. It has everything to do with religious minorities, oppressed and threatened ethnic groups, and people caught in horrible conflicts (often ones that we have a direct hand in instigating).

Take some time to educate yourself on what refugees go through just to get the chance to come to America, then look at all of the programs that do go towards veterans and homeless people, then post an intelligent and sensible message.
I've learned not to take Metro Matt's "chip on the shoulder" attitude toward life too seriously. I'm pretty sure I've seen some uninformed posts from him on city-data. Very "stereotpyically" Texan.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2014, 3:51 AM
Dryer lint inspector

I'm OK with refugees getting help they need to get established but if they fuck around and refuse to work/ become criminals, we should cut off assistance and bounce their asses out of the country.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2014, 4:29 AM

This came over the transom this afternoon. From the HBJ. It also starts September 8. Hint, it's BIGGER than it was:

Exclusive: Developer of Galleria office tower expands project, sets groundbreaking date

(Imagine this render with two more floors and you have an idea of it)

Old Posted Aug 29, 2014, 4:08 PM
Chairman

As a reminder, this thread is about development, not politics. Please discuss political agenda topics in its appropriate thread.

-sb

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations