HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjon View Post
Living walls are gorgeous.

Are there many examples in the world? They're becoming the rage up here in the PacNW
Could you give us an example? I don't think many of us here have a clue what this looks like or what to expect. I certainly don't.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2008, 2:44 AM

yup, the point in Burbank is topped out, the Embassy Suites in Glendale is pretty much ready to go and that 7 story building went up in like 2 weeks. crazy.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2008, 3:31 AM
Bears of antiquity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve2726 View Post
Could you give us an example? I don't think many of us here have a clue what this looks like or what to expect. I certainly don't.
Oh, they're easy to visualize: Vines and plants and branches and leaves hanging off an extended wall. Two current Seattle projects are implementing them, the 550 foot Civic Square and 660 foot Fifth and Columbia building

Old Posted Jun 25, 2008, 1:08 AM
Good Grief

Breaking News From Curbed LA

Photo Credit: ColDayMan

Breaking: With Conditions, Hollywood Tower Goes Forward
Tuesday, June 24, 2008, by Dakota

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The press secretary from Eric Garcetti's office confirms that the city's Planning & Land Use Management committee approved that Hollywood tower opposed by musicians who work in Capitol Records, who had argued that the development's underground garage would damage acoustics in Capitol's subterranean recording studios. Via the Inbox: "In very simplistic terms, PLUM Committee members approved the Second Street Ventures project (with 28 conditions that Capitol Records and Second Street Ventures negotiated)."

Here is the proposed tower:

Photo Credit: Steven Ehrlich Architects

Old Posted Jun 25, 2008, 6:30 AM

As long as the above ground remains the same, this is good news.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2008, 10:41 PM

^
Yes it is; people can complain about the silliest things developments do. Why can't they just live with it?

Old Posted Jun 30, 2008, 7:52 PM

I took these yesterday on Sunday in Century City. The weather was just perfect at a balmy 78 degrees.

The Century is on at least the 27th floor now.

The second picture is that very large project that is still unknown now. It's supposed to be twin 47-story condos/apartments and another 12-story residential tower. JMB Realty is the developer. I'm not sure what the status is on these proposed towers, but with the real estate market in its current flailing state, I wouldn't be surprised if this project goes through some alterations before breaking ground. The picture quality is pretty shoddy because I had to just point my camera into the green trap that surrounds the fence. There were no holes in the tarp covering and the fence was too tall for me to point over it. As you can see, the lot is huge (5.5 acres), but nothing much has happened since they ripped out the trees/lawn that used to be here.

Here's a look at the entire block at the intersection of Ave. of the Stars and Constellation.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2008, 8:51 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Nice update, LAB. The Century is really starting to make an impact on the CC skyline. Though I don't think it will be nearly as tall as the renderings made it out to be. It's already over halfway done, and you can tell it won't eclipse Fox Plaza.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
Nice update, LAB. The Century is really starting to make an impact on the CC skyline. Though I don't think it will be nearly as tall as the renderings made it out to be. It's already over halfway done, and you can tell it won't eclipse Fox Plaza.
I was hoping for the same thing, too. But every time I drive out there I realize it probably won't look as tall as Fox Plaza or the other buildings. Still, it looks like it'll be a good addition to the skyline.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 4:39 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Ad: Fall Groundbreaking for Hollywood's Blvd6200

By Neal Broverman
July 2, 2008

While Madrone marks the western edge of Hollywood development, there's action on the eastern side too. Developer The Clarett Group placed a full-page ad in a recent edition of the tourist magazine Discover Hollywood, and under the banner of "Hollywood's Next Golden Era," Clarett announces progress on its two LA projects: the 10-story office-space addition to Hollywood Boulevard's Pantages Theatre and the giant mixed-used development just across the street known as Blvd6200.

The Pantages stack-on--which was how the building was originally envisioned--is seeking entitlement, while Blvd6200 is movin' on up at a quicker clip. Groundbreaking is declared for this fall (Clarett didn't return calls on a more specific timeline), and if all goes as planned, that crusty parking lot will morph into 1,014 new apartment units, 28 live/work units,175,000 square feet of commercial-retail space, and 12,000 square feet of public plazas for meeting and greeting.

(Blvd6200 photos via Van Tilburg, Banvard & Soderbergh AIA/Pantages photo via LA Times)

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 4:47 AM
Ascension

I want the green one.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 5:16 PM

The Beverly Hilton redevelopment project including the new Waldorf-Astoria Hotel and 2 condo towers has a detailed website here:

http://www.revitalizebeverlyhilton.com/

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 4:26 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Regarding BLVD6200, I like how they divided the blocks among several buildings. It makes it look less manufactured.

All these projects in and around Hollywood and Vine should create for some nice urban street walls.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Jul 7, 2008, 10:53 PM

This is good news. I didn't expect groundbreaking to come this soon on Blvd6200 due to the condition of the market right now.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 8:17 PM
Ascension

Kingofthehill

godblessbotox

From now on, everytime I see the W Hotel, I want to see the Pussycat Dolls dancing on it. And that blonde one with the short hair should always do that one legged split thingy. Mmm..Pussycat Dolls. No wait..what am I saying?? John Morrison..Shaman of Sexy..rawr.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 10:33 PM

BLVD6200, 1540 N. Vine (with Whole Foods), and Columbia Square are kind of the last three projects that will really anchor that part of Hollywood as a walkable and exciting neighborhood. If those are completed, Hollywood could very well become one of the most urban neighborhoods in America. It'll be connected to a growing regional rail network, it'll have the residents, the tourists, the office workers, the museums, the shops/retail/restaurants, the grocery stores, the glamor, the hotels, the theater, Cirque du Soleil, history, the famous name, LA Film School, etc.

It'll become one of the most important nodes in all of LA. I really hope BLVD6200 and 1540 N. Vine will start construction soon.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 12:13 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by dktshb View Post
The W Hotel and Condos, etc. Development:

Pali House:

The Jefferson:

Madame Tussaud's:

New H&M and a peek at the refurbishing of the neighboring historic structure:

Condo Conversion:

The Madrone:

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 12:49 AM
Ascension

Why couldn't they install LED lights on Sunset and Vine as opposed to the poster? That would look so much better and it wouldn't block views.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 1:08 AM
Good Grief

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesBeauty View Post
Hollywood - it'll have the residents, the tourists, the office workers, the museums, the shops/retail/restaurants, the grocery stores, the glamor, the hotels, the theater, Cirque du Soleil, history, the famous name, LA Film School, etc.
LOL - I love it. Yes, it will even have Cirque du Soleil.

Thanks for posting the pics Westsidelife and thanks for taking them dktshb. Fantastic photo update.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 3:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeHundred View Post
Why couldn't they install LED lights on Sunset and Vine as opposed to the poster? That would look so much better and it wouldn't block views.
Now that I've seen how they will work on Concerto, I want them everywhere

Where appropriate of course.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations