HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 3:52 PM

Nice to see that the owner of 17th Ave. Grill is finally looking to do something with the ugly parking lot across the street.

https://businessden.com/2019/01/03/u...g-17th-avenue/

Although the owner is applying for the re-zoning which would permit up to five stories, it looks like both 17th Ave. Grill and the land across the street (including car wish is up for sale). Anyone have $6.4 million plus some development money ? (Southern Land??).

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/portfolio/9052643/

Here's the parking lot with the car-wash at end of block.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7432...7i16384!8i8192

There's also been talk of re-developing the next block, hopefully that happens too! These two blocks are huge holes in what is otherwise an amazing 17th Street.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7432...7i13312!8i6656

Finally, how the hell can the old Hamburger Mary's stay empty this long? It's a gorgeous historic building (minus the ugly paint) with the best outdoor space in all of Uptown. Surely somebody can find a way to make money off it?

A booze hall or food hall (there aren't any in this part of town) could work.

Last edited by CherryCreek; Jan 3, 2019 at 4:12 PM.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryCreek View Post

Finally, how the hell can the old Hamburger Mary's stay empty this long? It's a gorgeous historic building (minus the ugly paint) with the best outdoor space in all of Uptown. Surely somebody can find a way to make money off it?

A booze hall or food hall (there aren't any in this part of town) could work.
I can tell you exactly how. His name is Stewart Jackson, heir to the (in)famous Denver Burglar Alarm empire. He owns a significant amount of currently blighted/vacant CBD-adjacent real estate, sort of like a mini-Dikeou.

In addition to Hamburger Mary's, he also owns the small vacant retail frontage and parking lot at 20th and Grant, the grimy former Denver Burglar alarm HQ/office at 1555 Sherman, about half of the full-block parking lot between 19th and 20th on Lincoln, and the marooned, crumbling house on Glenarm between 21st and 22nd St. and adjacent parking lots.

Stewart has been involved in all manner of scheistery business dealings, and currently appears to be running a credit/debit card processing company. I'd imagine the recent Denver renaissance has him seeing dollar signs that are much larger than any potential tenants. He certainly doesn't seem to be in a hurry to cut deals on any of his blighted holdings, so I imagine the crown jewel won't be cheap.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighSt. View Post
I can tell you exactly how. His name is Stewart Jackson, heir to the (in)famous Denver Burglar Alarm empire. He owns a significant amount of currently blighted/vacant CBD-adjacent real estate, sort of like a mini-Dikeou.

In addition to Hamburger Mary's, he also owns the small vacant retail frontage and parking lot at 20th and Grant, the grimy former Denver Burglar alarm HQ/office at 1555 Sherman, about half of the full-block parking lot between 19th and 20th on Lincoln, and the marooned, crumbling house on Glenarm between 21st and 22nd St. and adjacent parking lots.

Stewart has been involved in all manner of scheistery business dealings, and currently appears to be running a credit/debit card processing company. I'd imagine the recent Denver renaissance has him seeing dollar signs that are much larger than any potential tenants. He certainly doesn't seem to be in a hurry to cut deals on any of his blighted holdings, so I imagine the crown jewel won't be cheap.
This one might be worthy of historical designation, before someone decided to tear it down and go all Tennyson-street on it.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighSt. View Post

Blegh -- at least the Dikeous actually have a functional business model.....what is this guy getting out of letting buildings rot and sit vacant? Back in the summer there was some article that said they had interviewed 40 people who wanted to lease the building but turned the, all down. WTF?

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 8:44 PM

Great to hear that the janky car wash and adjacent parking lot on 17th Ave will FINALLY be redeveloped! I literally can not look at it when I am driving down the otherwise fantastic 17th Ave.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 10:35 PM

Quote:
That's quite the map! I think the only thing that would do it a little more justice would be to add a smokestack coming from the land barges on Welton
Hey maybe Welton St could become Denver's new port! lol!

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 10:38 PM

^ Great close-ups Ryan helps the ole eyes a lot-thanks man!

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 12:15 AM

Any word on the 18th and Champa hotel next to the Ghost building? It doesn't appear on the DenverInfill 3D map but it's still listed on the Denver Site Development Plan Map:

822 18th Street Hotel
Address: 822 18th St
Log Number: 2018PM0000035
Submitted Date: 6/8/2018
Proposed Use: Other
Proposed Height: 167'
Proposed Stories: 14
Parking Spaces: 0
Council District: 9

The Denver permitting site has this more recent (08/17/2018) description (also, mentions it having 16 stories instead of the 14 above):
The proposed project located at 18th & Champa is a 16-story branded hotel with an independent restaurant space. The ground floor consists of the hotel lobby with entrance along Champa Street; an independent restaurant space and associated kitchen with restaurant entrance along 18th street; loading is accommodated off the alley; service & back of house spaces fill the remainder of the space. A valet drop off point will be provided at the hotel main entry on Champa Street, no parking will be provided on site (emphasis mine). The second level contains meeting spaces and service for the meeting spaces. A patio, bar, and pool sits on the rooftop. Typical guest room levels 3-15 are comprised of approximately 70% King rooms and 30% Double Queen rooms along with housekeeping and circulation space.

The architect is Johnson Nathan Strohe, who did the Ramble hotel in RiNo. This is good news if anyone was afraid of another EIFS clad box.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 4:09 AM

^ This could turn out to be a good-looking project and its also near a light rail station as well..

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 3:45 PM

I drove by the new Broadway Station development this morning and there was a full on battalion of construction equipment being used. The scale of that project makes Market Station and the Rockies mixed use development seem diminutive.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dirt View Post
Any word on the 18th and Champa hotel next to the Ghost building? It doesn't appear on the DenverInfill 3D map but it's still listed on the Denver Site Development Plan Map:

822 18th Street Hotel
Address: 822 18th St
Log Number: 2018PM0000035
Submitted Date: 6/8/2018
Proposed Use: Other
Proposed Height: 167'
Proposed Stories: 14
Parking Spaces: 0
Council District: 9

The Denver permitting site has this more recent (08/17/2018) description (also, mentions it having 16 stories instead of the 14 above):
The proposed project located at 18th & Champa is a 16-story branded hotel with an independent restaurant space. The ground floor consists of the hotel lobby with entrance along Champa Street; an independent restaurant space and associated kitchen with restaurant entrance along 18th street; loading is accommodated off the alley; service & back of house spaces fill the remainder of the space. A valet drop off point will be provided at the hotel main entry on Champa Street, no parking will be provided on site (emphasis mine). The second level contains meeting spaces and service for the meeting spaces. A patio, bar, and pool sits on the rooftop. Typical guest room levels 3-15 are comprised of approximately 70% King rooms and 30% Double Queen rooms along with housekeeping and circulation space.

The architect is Johnson Nathan Strohe, who did the Ramble hotel in RiNo. This is good news if anyone was afraid of another EIFS clad box.
It looks like the last resubmittal for the site development plan took place on December 7, 2018. It is still moving forward.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 3:49 PM

For anyone interested in the Amacon Block 176 site development plan:

https://cbsdenver.files.wordpress.co...-site-plan.pdf

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 4:21 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dirt View Post
AThe architect is Johnson Nathan Strohe, who did the Ramble hotel in RiNo. This is good news if anyone was afraid of another EIFS clad box.
They also did the EIFS-clad Hilton Garden Inn behind Union Station and the Moxy in CCN.

So an EIFS clad box is a strong possibility.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 4:25 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLucasTheGreat View Post
I drove by the new Broadway Station development this morning and there was a full on battalion of construction equipment being used. The scale of that project makes Market Station and the Rockies mixed use development seem diminutive.
That's understandable. There's a lot of civil work that has to go into that project before the vertical elements start going up.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 4:46 PM

This one is sad-sorry everyone:

NEXT
‘Great architectural building’ in Denver now being demolished
The Research Bridge at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center is being demolished for the 9th and Colorado redevelopment project.
Author: Allison Sylte
Published: 5:38 PM MST January 3, 2019
Updated: 5:27 AM MST January 4, 2019
A historic Denver building that was initially going to be saved is being demolished as part of the redevelopment of East 9th Avenue and Colorado Boulevard.

The Research Bridge at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center was designed by a Chicago architecture firm in 1964. Annie Levinsky, the executive director of Historic Denver, said it’s known for its clean lines and example of mid-century modern architecture.

Continuum Partners and CIM Group, the developers for the project, had discussed converting the bridge into a hotel. This will no longer be the case, and the structure over 9th Avenue is now coming down.

“We’re watching, sadly, the demolition of a great architectural building in Denver,” said architect Tim Pickard.

The building has previously been a laboratory and research building for the hospital, which has been moved to the Anschutz campus in Aurora due to its growth.

“We’re seeing a lot of change in this city, and buildings like this help anchor us,” Levinsky said.

Many buildings that previously existed on the campus are also gone as part of the mixed-use development, which will include apartments, condos, restaurants, shops and even a movie theater.

A parking structure and dormitory for the hospital’s nurses will not be demolished, Levinsky said.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 4:49 PM

As for Block 176-thanks rds70-its interesting and I remember Kimley Horn did some work consulting work for a committee I was on a CDOT once (the Colorado Rail Advisory Committee-yes our committee got studies done for Front Range Rail back then which was around 1996-98).

Last edited by CastleScott; Jan 6, 2019 at 8:13 PM.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 11:20 PM

Last I heard 14th & Court was being discussed as a 12 story hotel not 240 residential units like what DenverInfill shows.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 1:48 AM
mmmm... infillicious!

Correct. We check in with the developers periodically and since they've continued to explore different options, we haven't updated our original post until we hear from them what the final program they're going with for the building.

DenverInfill Blog
DenverUrbanism

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 4:30 AM

So without the renovation of the Research Bridge building the 9th and Colorado redevelopment is just going to be another generic pile of crap. I'm sure they are scrapping all of the other interesting parts of the project as well.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 6:33 PM

^ I'm afraid so corey-what a waste this once promising project has become...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West