HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 10:08 PM

Hmm... I'd never heard of a mini split before. Goes to show how different things are depending on where you live. When I was younger I didn't realize what the huge cylinder tanks were outside beside rural houses. I also hadn't noticed the lack of sewers on streets that use open ditch for drainage.

These are the things I only picked up after working in mortgages where I had to review appraisals. That and when I started to look for a condo and then a house. So many different ways to heat a house.

I didn't know about septics either until I started doing houses in the Kawarthas and Haliburton, which is cottage country. Then I got to see it in person when I met my current wife and we'd go up to her family cottage. Was fascinating to see the truck come, open the hatch, and suck all that out with the hose. Didn't look or smell disgusting as the pink chemical they use in there masked pretty much everything.

I also didn't know that in Britain it's popular to have laundry in the kitchen until I actually went there in 2006.

I didn't know heating oil existed until I saw the pics from a planned tear down house in Toronto. My boss explained it to me. Then two great movies made me even more aware. In The Drop, Tom Hardy uses the tank for something. I won't spoil it. And A Most Violent Year centres around Oscar Isaac's challenges in the heating oil industry. Sounds boring but what a captivating movie.

Last edited by megadude; Oct 18, 2022 at 11:45 PM.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 11:55 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
How long ago did I post that? I meant pretty much same PRICE as my place. It’s in no other way similar lol
On the last page. It actually looks like it was never intended to be a house, maybe some kind of semi-commercial or utility building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
I've seen too many too-small Home Depot windows plopped into openings, with the wall built up to fit with whatever junk is laying around the back yard.

This is relatively elegant.
It has some hobbit character, even if contrived, it has creativity which the other one lacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Mini-split. They're quickly becoming the dominant form of home heating here, replacing oil furnaces and electric baseboards.

I've only seen ceiling tiles in a residence a few times, I think this is the first one here (the rest have been in this thread from elsewhere, I think lol).
Ceiling tiles were the rage only in the 60s/70s, and they deadened spaces acoustically; not a good look anymore except where dropped ceilings are necessary, especially useful in commercial applications.

Mini splits can only do one room, and are not suitable for heating large residences like central heating. They are a quick fix to augment underdesigned older heating systems. I've seen them in basements in NL as auxiliary heating, but heat pumps are routine here for heat/cooling in newer buildings.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 12:40 AM

I've seen houses in Timmins with the split heaters in some rooms. I believe they are commonly called heat pumps as well right? There are some pretty small ones I've noticed. I've heard good things about them but I think that they aren't used here as primary sources for heat during extreme cold but are supplemental.

My house has only baseboard heaters and one Convectair.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 1:52 AM
Great White Norf

My cousin and his wife bought an older 2 storey (c1940 maybe) in Nova Scotia that's around 1,700 sq ft.
It was being heated with oil.

They've done a decent amount of renovations in 1 year. My cousin replaced all the old windows, new doors, put some new insulation in and now they're using split-minis with heat pumps (so they can be used as A/C and heat, unlike my folks A/C only units without heat pump).

I forget how many if it's 3 units or what they have, but he says they work great, and helluva lot less expensive and cumbersome than heating oil.

My cousin has worked in construction his whole life building houses, home renovations, so he'd know what works.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 7:25 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
Mini splits can only do one room, and are not suitable for heating large residences like central heating. They are a quick fix to augment underdesigned older heating systems. I've seen them in basements in NL as auxiliary heating, but heat pumps are routine here for heat/cooling in newer buildings.
I think you're technically correct, but people are definitely getting by with just one.

This is my parents' place:

They have one mini-split with the unit on the living room wall (upper right). The only other room that have any heating on ever is the garage as needed. The rest of the house it does perfectly well, including the downstairs seating room and all the bedrooms on the upper left.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 4:38 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Proposed build-on to the existing Dead Mall known as Westmount Shopping Centre (London).

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 4:44 PM
Fake News

WTF? It looks like the Borg landed on top of a mall and began harvesting it to build their new ship. I like how they're not even updating the ground floor beneath the towers. And the surface parking remains atrocious.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 4:48 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post

Proposed build-on to the existing Dead Mall known as Westmount Shopping Centre (London).
Post-apocalypticalism for a dead mall. Intriguing.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

The Vomit Bag.

I think it is supposed to be a Qbert Museum, or homage to Laval's Flag (wait, am I insulting Quebec again? my bad!!)

The Vomit Bag.

Quote:

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 4:56 PM

London = Ontario equivalent of Quebec

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 5:03 PM

Quote:

But why?

Why not just bulldoze the mall and make something better?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 5:06 PM
Fake News

This beast belongs here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
1786 & 1790 Liverpool Road (Pickering) | 156.75m | 49s | Chestnut Hill | Kirkor Architects

https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...hitects.34437/

This render includes this proposal and the Vupoint towers.
Where are the windows? Are they not even bothering with essentials anymore with these projects they pitch to foreign investors since they won't actually occupy the units anyways? Now it's just a shell of a building acting as a piggy bank for laundered money?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 5:06 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Look at the bright side. Clockzilla would no longer be the sole contender for ugliest building in Canada. Could he be vanquished by the Westmounster?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 5:07 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewave46 View Post
But why?

Why not just bulldoze the mall and make something better?
Way too obvious. They could at least start to fill in some underutilized parking lot and get some interaction with the street without affecting the mall much anyway.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 5:10 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Way too obvious. They could at least start to fill in some underutilized parking lot and get some interaction with the street without affecting the mall much anyway.
That's what Chinook Centre in Calgary is looking at doing. They also expanded onto surface parking and replaced it with underground parking. I guess that's just sacrilege to the property managers in London.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
I should point out, especially since I mentioned my interest in windows, that the front of this house has doors in place of windows. Here it is blown up:

Hah, I didn't recognize it till you posted this one, but I've already made fun of this house in a group chat! (My brother has been looking at Simcoe houses)

Best zinger: "It looks like someone got told "You make a better door than a window", and they took that personally"

Actually a buddy of mine lives around the corner, and i used to walk through that neighbourhood all the time in high school, and I had no idea that "street" was there. It's pretty obviously an alley-turned-into-a-street, didn't know there were any of those in Norfolk.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 7:31 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
This beast belongs here:

Where are the windows? Are they not even bothering with essentials anymore with these projects they pitch to foreign investors since they won't actually occupy the units anyways? Now it's just a shell of a building acting as a piggy bank for laundered money?
49 storeys for...Pickering
O-tac, windows cost money

one of the worst renderings I've seen of late. And that's including that St. Catharines 18 storey with clock at top with the misspelling, and the owner can't decide whether it's called Carlisle Square or Suites.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 8:24 PM
Great White Norf

Even Welland has a better plan to add housing to the (c. 1976) Seaway Mall. To be continued depending on how ugly the renderings are

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 8:31 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Look at the bright side. Clockzilla would no longer be the sole contender for ugliest building in Canada. Could he be vanquished by the Westmounster?

"Doc, my wart has grown something on top... tell me straight, does it look malignant?"

May as well plop a replica of the London courthouse on it as well, give it some more oomph.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada