HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Nov 26, 2016, 8:10 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Why is crime so low in Chinese Cities?

Why is Crime so low in China compared to the richer, Western Countries and/or cities?

Supplement article below. (food for thought)

=================================
=================================

China has one of the lowest homicide rates in the world

Quote:
Homicide rate in China is as low as Switzerland, a country known as one of the safest nations, reported Southern Metropolis Daily on Thursday.

"The homicide rate in China in 2014 is 0.7 per 100,000 residents, which is better than those in developed countries such as the United States, the United Kingdom or France," said Meng Jianzhu, head of the Commission for Political and Legal Affairs of the Communist Party of China Central Committee, during a national conference in Dalian, Liaoning province.

There has been a consistent decline in severe violent crimes in China, including rape, abduction, robbery, blasts, murder and arson, added Meng.

According to Public Security Bureau, the number of the registered cases between January to March has decreased by 15.6 percent on year-on-year basis.

Meng pointed out that it takes a lot of effort to keep the crime rate down in such a huge country with such a big population.

Meng added that many crimes nowadays are being committed over the Internet, such as commercial fraud, online pyramid schemes and invasion of privacy.

He urged the public security departments to set up "online police stations" and to step up efforts to prevent the spread of rumors, firearm-trafficking and drug-trafficking online.

Germany and Switzerland also have the lowest rate of homicide, 0.7, while it's 3.3 in India, 3.8 in the US, 9.0 in Russia and 26.6 in Brazil.
===============================
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2...t_21981753.htm

Old Posted Nov 26, 2016, 9:52 PM

Homicide rate in Japan (or Denmark, Spain etc) is even lower I think. I get the impression China these days is a society where people generally have strong respect for criminal laws and strong codes of personal public conduct which permeate society. Also most sections of society see their prospects improving with the rapid economic growth so there aren't so many disillusioned dropouts railing against society as in other places (or compared with China 40-50 years ago when dragging teachers or doctors out into the street and murdering them was quite commonplace).

Old Posted Nov 26, 2016, 10:04 PM

I studied under a Chinese sociologist in graduate school who lived half the year in Beijing. He greatly suggested data collection was a developing thing in Chinese cities.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2016, 11:38 PM

because degenerates and neer do wells will face a firing squad, a giant pile of rocks, or some other labor camp of death.....or the wrath of angry locals. the chinese authorities don't $%^& around....

Old Posted Nov 26, 2016, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtex View Post
because degenerates and neer do wells will face a firing squad, a giant pile of rocks, or some other labor camp of death.....or the wrath of angry locals. the chinese authorities don't $%^& around....
Yeah, I've always said here in Canada we waste too much taxpayer money on prisons. I think if Canada brings back the death penalty, we can get rid of the entire prison system altogether. If commit a crime, you die, simple as that. That also has the added benefit of reducing population and reducing the burden on the environment, so it can be considered a green initiative as well. Criminals are nothing more than human garbage, and garbage belongs in a landfill, and nowhere else.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2016, 11:56 PM
The City

Because easterners aren't as arrogant as westerners are.

The arrogance always ready to rear its head in western countries does have its negative attributes, you know.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2016, 12:10 AM

Mouais... I agree that the West can be outrageously arrogant while it's actually hilariously spoiled, but there's no need to idolize what's out there (exotic) too much either, huh.

If no proper regulations were harshly enforced on the nasty Chinese, those a$$holes would still be producing toys full of toxic materials for little kids.

Just saying. I like them somehow. I admire all people in the world... But trust none.

Edit: here, the first googled instance.

http://www.poisonedpets.com/half-toy...children-pets/

And we had quite a couple of stories of that kind here in France in a recent past, like beware of toys made in China.

Those assholes are mocking us, huh.

Last edited by mousquet; Nov 27, 2016 at 12:21 AM.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2016, 12:54 AM
BANNED

Because they're filled with Chinese

Old Posted Nov 27, 2016, 1:18 AM
Unicorn Wizard!

While I believe China is in fact a relatively safe country and I am not going to be one of those indignant westerners who suspects the government is purposely faking the stats, I do wonder if maybe China's different legal system generates different official statistics on the occurrence of crimes. Also does Chinese culture solve personal disputes with more or less involvement of the police?

It seems like it would be hard to compare different country's crime rates, especially ones that are already very safe or very dangerous. I doubt official crimes could have an accidental discrepancy large enough to greatly change one country's place in the worldwide rankings, but the relative order of the top 10 safest or bottom 10 most dangerous cities or countries could be full of errors due to small differences in how crime is measured.

For example, many European countries that are very safe are now taking a stronger stance against sexual crimes like rape and discovering that such crimes are actually more common than anyone anticipated and now they must report having more crime than they did in the past. But they did not become more dangerous, in fact they became safer. Conversely, Mexico and Latin America in general is so dangerous that I have read stories online about people finding the police completely unhelpful and unwilling to let citizens report crimes or ask for assistance. So while the country already has abysmal crime rates they are probably even worse than anyone could even imagine.

Also I think the legal rights Americans and Europeans possess may encourage the police to exaggerate offenses and the danger of confrontations, because they need to be able to legally justify searches and they need to justify a conviction. In the US people who are awaiting trial can spend a considerable time in jail despite not formally being charged with a crime yet and thus they can be pressured to accept a plea bargain. While it almost always true that the person taking the deal was in fact guilty, the actual crime they committed may not be nearly as heinous as claimed. Imagine some woman is shoplifting, and is arrested after forcing herself past a plainclothes police officer. You can guarantee the police officer will claim he was "assaulted" because she shoved him, and by shove they really mean mean she put her hand on his arm and tried to squeeze past him. That sort of thing.

Quote:
Yeah, I've always said here in Canada we waste too much taxpayer money on prisons. I think if Canada brings back the death penalty, we can get rid of the entire prison system altogether. If commit a crime, you die, simple as that. That also has the added benefit of reducing population and reducing the burden on the environment, so it can be considered a green initiative as well. Criminals are nothing more than human garbage, and garbage belongs in a landfill, and nowhere else.
Are you off your meds?

Honestly, I'd rather deal with petty crime, even be a victim of it, than see perfect safety achieved through some kind of "final solution".

Last edited by llamaorama; Nov 27, 2016 at 2:43 AM.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2016, 2:31 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Is it because of homogeneous culture?

I know that in a certain western region of the country there has been violent clashes between Han Chinese and Muslim Uighurs.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2016, 6:31 AM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it's been proven that harsh punishments don't prevent people from doing crimes.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2016, 9:51 AM

I didn't mean to suggest that stats were faked or anything like that. More like, there's almost an incentive to over report in the US, whereas the fact is this type of data collection has simply not been as developed. This was straight from a Chinese sociologist. That's not to suggest there is some great unreported crime rate, more like we don't know even if there is or is not to the extent of data collection in the US. If it is low, there are likely simple reasons like large swaths of socioeconomic equality. That could be poor, wealthy, etc. Could be a non-resistant cultural dynamic, which is the opposite of western cultures. Those two jump out the most. Philosophically, in the west we are taught to fight back against our equality. That can manifest itself in a crime culture that resists the inequality in any way that it can. Some societies accept that inequality more or choose to fight it in more subtle ways. One is not better than the other outside of crime itself. I think those are better explanations than say racial homogeny which even in the US wouldn't be enough. I dunno, its interesting to study

Old Posted Nov 27, 2016, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
I'm pretty sure it's been proven that harsh punishments don't prevent people from doing crimes.
How about harsh punishment of people with criminal or rebellious tendencies preventing them from passing on their DNA?

Old Posted Nov 27, 2016, 3:56 PM

Quote:
i was mostly being rhetorical. but......here are the 46 offenses considered to be capital crimes in china...paranoia goes a long way too. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_offences_in_China you pretty much have to commit murder or treason in america to even be considered for the death penalty. my greater point is the authorities in china are hardasses. but yes, jail by it self does nothing to prevent the social framework that caused someone to commit crime in the first place.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2016, 4:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
i was mostly being rhetorical. but......here are the 46 offenses considered to be capital crimes in china...paranoia goes a long way too. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_offences_in_China you pretty much have to commit murder or treason in america to even be considered for the death penalty. my greater point is the authorities in china are hardasses.
And yet Chinese Americans commit almost no crime too.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2016, 4:13 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

there isn't much overt reported crime under dictatorships. you don't want to end up in a cuban prison, for example, or one in any secretive country where the outside world does not know what the hell is really going on. they do not exactly have a free press in china. so the truth over there is no doubt a mix of purposeful obfuscation, poor accounting and that yes some crimes are indeed lower for various cultural difference reasons. however, do not forget some are probably higher as well. for example, copyright infringement is well known to be through the roof in china.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2016, 4:16 PM
BANNED

Do we have any reason to doubt them though? Everything we know about Chinese culture and genetic makeup would lead us to to expect of them to be a low crime society. Just look at their neighbors.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2016, 7:20 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

Quote:
Right.

I've read that "certainty" or likelihood of getting caught after committing a crime, is just as effective. Especially with minor or petty crimes. I understand that in China there is an emphasis towards community policing e.g. neighborhood patrols and watches. Chinese cities are also denser and it is harder to be anonymous.

This does not necessarily need to be stop-and-frisk, but from a practical standpoint the more cops on the street will lower the rate of street crime for very obvious reasons.

I think here in the US the police need to stop acting like an "occupying force" in bad neighborhoods and instead encourage citizens to talk to them and work with them in exposing criminals. The side effect of broken windows policing is that people are afraid of police for good reasons.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2016, 7:38 PM
Ex Houstonian

Politically incorrect but I'm guessing because there's no blacks, sorry. Most cities with high black populations have high crime rates, those that don't have low crime rates. Just the facts. And that they don't have guns.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2016, 7:40 PM
TL;DR

-China doesn't recognize a right to bear firearms
-For many sectors of the population, manufacturing or other jobs are not hard to come by, reducing the economic incentive to commit crime
-Chinese stats may be inaccurate, either due to faulty reporting or intentional tampering

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Politically incorrect but I'm guessing because there's no blacks, sorry. Most cities with high black populations have high crime rates, those that don't have low crime rates. Just the facts.
Yes, the high black population in Russia is responsible for their murder rate that's more than double the US.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions