HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Oct 2, 2009, 10:44 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
The Cheesecake factory in Birmingham hasn't been very profitable from what I hear
That seems unlikely. The place always has an hour or more wait it seems... and it's overpriced and overrated. Bridge Street needs a good local restaurateur to fill the space or would you rather have that downtown?

Old Posted Oct 3, 2009, 5:01 PM

Cheesecake Factory has criteria for entering new markets and HSV does not measure up. Ketchup should probably take note. Overpriced, overrated, touristy food joints sell the atmosphere and that is not enough in a small market like HSV. Look at Tavern on the Green in NYC Central Park; always busy, way overpriced, and just went into Chapter 11 owing $50million.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2009, 1:32 PM
Burming Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVTiger View Post
Cheesecake ain't opening in Huntsville. If it did how many times would you go?
2-3 max. You can buy their cheesecake at Costco if you have to have it.
we go to the cheesecake factory quite often here in birmingham. it's been open a few years now, and it's still always packed. i think it could work in huntsville.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2009, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by | BRAVO | View Post
That seems unlikely. The place always has an hour or more wait it seems... and it's overpriced and overrated. Bridge Street needs a good local restaurateur to fill the space or would you rather have that downtown?
How about a Beauregard's?

I kid, I kid.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2009, 2:14 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing a Teds Montana Grill at Bridgestreet.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2009, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing a Teds Montana Grill at Bridgestreet.
The one in Hoover next to the Galleria folded recently.
"Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood and probably themselves will not be realized. Make big plans. Aim high in hope and work. Remembering that a noble, logical diagram once recorded will not die."

Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 3:14 AM

Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 7:48 AM

I don't meam to, but I question just how transformational Constellation can be to downtown Huntsville.
I see it moreas being a catalyst, maybe...at best...IF executed well enough. Two moderate-brand hotels? Great. That provides more room for visitors. Office space? Great. That brings more workers downtown (DEFINITELY needed). A green grocer? Great. That will attract citizens downtown. Three restaurants? Great. That will also attract citizens downtown (hopefully). 40,000 more square feet of retail (after the green grocer takes up 20K)? Great? I guess that may help fill holes in basic essentials downtown. 100 residential units (supposedly affordable even)? Great. (DEFINITELY needed) That gives Huntsvillians an affordable downtown alternative and increases Huntsville's downtown population by 100 to 200.
But, transformational? Exciting? Putting downtown on the map? I don't get any of that. Shopping destination? I really don't get that.

We NEED workers downtown to attract businesses. We NEED residents downtown to attract businesses. Both are required for a sustainable live/work atmosphere. This helps, NO DOUBT, but...to me, it's only a start -- a VERY small start. It's without question better than what was there, and it's probably a step in the right direction.
But, maybe someone can fill me in (for real) how this is transformational, exciting, and how this is going to change downtown forever. I think this is relatively smart, controlled growth. He's not looking to bring unrealistic luxury downtown -- hotels that can't be sustained, luxury housing that won't be bought, etc. It's got a moderate, realistic vibe to it. But, help me with the excitement part. This project has been compared to Mizner Park before. Okaaaaay? This project has been compared to Fourth Street Live before. Okaaaaay? I don't get it. I'm slow. Somebody help me.

Last edited by DavidH74; Oct 7, 2009 at 8:00 AM.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 8:19 AM

I also hope that the restaurants will be just good restaurants. As with things like Ketchup, Huntsville doesn't have the population or constant tourism/convention influx to support what is deemed "destinational".

None of us would eat at a Hard Rock, for example, more than a couple times. I hope these restaurants are all in the vein of sustainable.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 2:16 PM

Every time I go to Mizner Park, I am always amazed at how busy it is and how little there is for me to do there. Sorta like Bridgestreet.

I don't think anybody is saying that Constellation is the finish line for downtown. More like the bang of the starting gun. It doesn't SOLVE the problem, but it is a step TOWARDS solving the problem.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 5:52 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Downtown Huntsville doesn't have nearly the job density that the other big four in the state have, so Constellation can truly be transformational. The fact is, downtown just doesn't look interesting enough for people to get off the interstate or parkway to visit. This could go a long way towards changing people's perception.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 9:05 PM

more roads for madison county!?

http://blog.al.com/breaking/2009/10/...ore_gasol.html

Byrne says spending more gasoline tax money on Madison County roads like "priming a pump" for economic development
By Keith Clines
October 07, 2009, 2:59PM

Bradley ByrneTimes file photoBradley ByrneHUNTSVILLE, AL - Republican gubernatorial candidate Bradley Byrne said his pledge to spend more state money on roads in Madison County if elected would be "like priming a pump" for economic development.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2009, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidH74 View Post
I also hope that the restaurants will be just good restaurants. As with things like Ketchup, Huntsville doesn't have the population or constant tourism/convention influx to support what is deemed "destinational".

None of us would eat at a Hard Rock, for example, more than a couple times. I hope these restaurants are all in the vein of sustainable.
I disagree. If Huntsville had a Hard Rock Cafe or a House Of Blues it would be the ultimate hangout for young adults. But then again they would have to know about its existance first. The reason things fail in Hunstville is the poor lack of promo and advertising. As big as Bridge Street is, there's very little marketing on tv or in the paper for it. Some residents don't even know about it believe it or not.

As for Constellation. I'm not gonna get my hopes up about this place. I'll have to see it first before I dub it the next Bridge Street.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2009, 1:36 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man435 View Post
hey g-man, good find, the office building will be an exact copy of the one already there which is 100% leased which is the reason for the need of the second one. I think there is actually a third if the demand comes.
Was in Greenville the other day, always a delight to visit this dynamic city.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2009, 1:41 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsvillenative View Post
I disagree. If Huntsville had a Hard Rock Cafe or a House Of Blues it would be the ultimate hangout for young adults. But then again they would have to know about its existance first. The reason things fail in Hunstville is the poor lack of promo and advertising. As big as Bridge Street is, there's very little marketing on tv or in the paper for it. Some residents don't even know about it believe it or not.

As for Constellation. I'm not gonna get my hopes up about this place. I'll have to see it first before I dub it the next Bridge Street.
I don't know, Hard rock is a tired old concept that if you visit once or twice
you won't go back strictly a tourist trap with so so food.
Some are worth visiting, Las Vegas maybe but Atlanta/Nashville? nah

Old Posted Oct 8, 2009, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVTiger View Post
I don't know, Hard rock is a tired old concept that if you visit once or twice
you won't go back strictly a tourist trap with so so food.
Some are worth visiting, Las Vegas maybe but Atlanta/Nashville? nah
LOL... or Destin, FL!

Old Posted Oct 8, 2009, 4:52 PM

I still feel like the parking garage facing the spring is a goldmine waiting to happen. Put a multifloor Joes Crab Shack there with outdoor dining (that can be closed off in bad weather) and you would have a big hit. It would also serve to connect Constellation/VBC/Hotels with the rest of downtown. Joes probably wouldn't want to come there because there isn't much drive-by traffic, so the city could work out a deal where we build them a big sign(s) on the Parkway and/or 565 that could also contain a digital message board for upcoming shows at the VBC.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2009, 11:04 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
I still feel like the parking garage facing the spring is a goldmine waiting to happen. Put a multifloor Joes Crab Shack there with outdoor dining (that can be closed off in bad weather) and you would have a big hit. It would also serve to connect Constellation/VBC/Hotels with the rest of downtown. Joes probably wouldn't want to come there because there isn't much drive-by traffic, so the city could work out a deal where we build them a big sign(s) on the Parkway and/or 565 that could also contain a digital message board for upcoming shows at the VBC.
There are so many possibilities, this is the type of idea that needs to be brought out but instead we get nothing. Landry's which we have is part of
Joes so I'm sure they have looked . Restaurants are having a tough go.
The new Chedders should be a big hit, good food nice restaurant ate at one in Asheville and it was great.
Also as I thought
HUNTSVILLE, AL - After a couple of months on the U.S. Postal Service's "hit list," the Wynn Drive Post Office has been given a reprieve.

The west Huntsville facility was placed on a consolidation/closing list in August with nearly 1,000 other offices nationwide. Then, last month, the Wynn Drive station was on a list of 400 other facilities slated to be closed or consolidated.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2009, 11:41 PM

Bringing up Landrys reminds me... Isn't the Space and Rocket Center Alabama's biggest tourist attraction? Or at least one of them, right? Why is is that when you go to tourist attractions in other areas there are businesses around it trying to get some of that tourist money, but not here? There's not even a McDonald's.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 1:22 AM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Bringing up Landrys reminds me... Isn't the Space and Rocket Center Alabama's biggest tourist attraction? Or at least one of them, right? Why is is that when you go to tourist attractions in other areas there are businesses around it trying to get some of that tourist money, but not here? There's not even a McDonald's.
part of the reason is it's surrounded by Federal and state property(The space center is state property as well I think). Redstone Arsenal to the south/west/east and I-565 to the north. I think we are slowly seeing the transforming of the land that has trailer parks between Bob Wallace
and I-565. Hilton Garden and Landrys being the newest additions. The Botanical Gardens take up the rest of the strip east of the Space Center along Bob Wallace. Land across I-565 is Research Park.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast