HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 6:41 PM
BANNED

Write your future history of Canada.

Alright as a Sci fi nerd I'm a huge fan of the idea of future history.

I.E. What someone 400 years from now would say about our history between now and 2115.

The idea of course isn't simply to make predictions progress, but also to predict how trends may stagnate or simply become less relevant as time goes along. (I.e. Flying Cars come out, causing people to hate air canada even more)

So any make your future predictions of Canada's future.

Please although this is meant to for fun, please reference it to things that actually relate to Canada past and present.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 7:13 PM
BANNED

I'll go first.

2020's French quickly becomes a prestige language in Canada as French immersion schools pop up in immigrant dominated neighorhoods of Toronto and Vancouver.

2023, Gps tracking becomes the norm in canada, quickly dropping insurance rates for drivers.

2027 The global number of births per year peak, Canada promptly begins planning for a global population contraction in its economic forecasting.

2030's Canadian provinces bans car driving on pubic roads due to accidents and traffic congestion. Private race-tracks prop up across the Country as automotive fans still have the need for speed.

2038 after years of Decline the conservative party of Canada adopts an anti immigrant, pro environmentalist stance, as economic stradegy to inflate property values, and decrease strain on resources.

2040's Conservative party comes to power, greatly increasing green planning, Canada's wild life protection and national parks greatly increase there range.

2043 Canada implements massive carbon taxes, greatly reducing the use of fossil fuels.

2046 Alberta rapidly expands its manufacturing sector as drop in demand for oil continues.
2048 Karl Marxx Conmunists Manifesto celebrates it's 200th annviersary. As future prime minister Attends massive celebration in Calgary.

2050, Canada's population peaks at 46 million as Immigration Quotas are vastly reduced as global population contraction and competition for immigrants is high across the globe.

2052 Conservative party of Canada introduces strict laws governing investments and flow of capital in and out of the country.

2054 Due to Computer revolution, Canada's investment in nationaly owned mainframes, become the source of canadas centrally planned economy. Mainframes represent a total of 12% of Canada GDP.

2061 Liberal party of Canada wins in land slide victory.

2064 Self drivings car allow for speed limit increase of up to 250 km/hr. Greatly increasing urban sprawl and pushing canadian's farther into the northern reaches of the country.

2066 Canada holds a referendum to have Canada be redefined as a Technocracy.

2067 Canada celebrates its bicentenial.

2069 with immigration greatly reduced Canada has become increasingly nationalistic.

2071 Abboriginal nationalist have mass protests in Toronto.

2077 Canada's social begins a social revolutions over it's aboriginal identity.

2081 All Canadians are effectively named aboriginals under the law.

2080's become increasingly fascinated by its aboriginal identity, as ethnic connections to europe and asia fast become forgotten.

2090 Canada introduces a massive high speed rail transit(meglev in a vaccum tube) allowing transit speeds of 1600 km/hr.

2100 Canada population has contracted to 34 million. Life expendacy has rise to 93 years. The average Canadian can expect a full pension after 10,000 hours in national service.

2112 Canada celebrates the tricentenial for the battle of 1812. Temcumseh becomes the most popular boys names in the following years.

Last edited by Stryker; Jan 22, 2015 at 7:31 PM.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 10:30 PM

I'm substantially less optimistic

Late 2015: Harper conservative win another majority government

2018: privatization of Canadian healthcare begins with the implementation of a duel private/public healthcare system, Harpers support drops, the liberal government is elected a minority government

2025: growing income inequality and rapid cost of living rises in Vancouver and Toronto lead to riots and stricter justice laws, largest mass arrest in Canadian history

2030: Conservatives elected a landslide victory under a strong anti immigration platform and cracking down on social spending, social spending and healthcare are cut, and pension age is raised to 70.

2035: global economy enters a depression, highest unemployment level in decades strikes Canada, this is coupled with a decade of increased automation, unemployment rate exceeds 20% and with dropping social spending, homelessness skyrockets. The housing market now 80% inflated finally collapses and social unrest becomes normal, the direct institutions of government collapse due to a rise in anarchy and violence, crime rate skyrockets.

2040: due to resource scarcity, the remnants of government in the U.S. and Canada work on an agreement, Canada is annexed by the United states.

The new country made from the two, declares war on the Middle East for refusing to trade oil and energy assets which are now deemed too expensive or difficult to extract in Alberta. This leads to a 3rd world war

2050: war ends, the new North American state wins new territory and power in the Middle East.

2060: world enters a massive extinction event brought on by climate change and human activities, peak oil reached, western society fully collapses into a new dark age.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 10:50 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I wouldn't know where to begin assigning years to it but I imagine we're going to see Quebec separate eventually. By that time, the West won't be as disproportionately behind Ontario in population and power and Ontario-to-B.C. will have little trouble staying together.

The Maritimes will try but eventually compromises will have to be made. As is happening in the United Kingdom right now, Ottawa will devolve many federal responsibilities to Halifax. The Maritimes will remain technically part of Canada but will be largely autonomous and will have control of its economic relationship with the United States.

Newfoundland will lose either all of Labrador or all but the southern portion that, until very recently, was not connected to the rest of Labrador in any way and maintained close ferry-based ties with northern Newfoundland. Independence will have been achieved but gradually chipped away at through various economic treaties with the United States and Canada. There will probably be deeper treaties as well... for example, it's very unlikely we'd be in charge of our own defense. Our military bases would be leased to either Canada or the United States. We definitely will not, however, be part of whatever exact status the Maritimes has. Even if in name only, we'll be officially more independent.

The Maritimes and Newfoundland will both have fewer people in total than they should, but will be far more urbanized and sustainable and self-sufficient than they are right now.

Quebec will be doing fine. Modest growth, slow erasure of anglophone presence/influence but nothing malicious or overtly cruel.

Ontario will be absolutely enormous. Toronto will objectively be a world city by any measure. People will be commuting there for work from Buffalo, and very quickly on the dense network of transit that exists between southern Ontario and the northeast United States.

Alberta, especially Calgary, will be one of the most modern, well-planned, sci-fi movie-type places in North America. Sprawl will infill, public transit will grow, towers will grow.

B.C. will become ever-more connected to Asia and the west coast of the United States. It'll remain fully and completely a part of Canada but its unique connections will prove incredibly profitable for it. It'll invest a fortune in building for earthquakes, like Santiago in Chile, and will become a world leader in this, the subject of lots of documentaries and all of that.

Northern Canada will become what northern Alberta is now. Boomtowns, population booms, all of it suburban and cold and all that.

And the whole lot will be part of some broader union for North America. It won't compromise sovereignty to the extent of the EU, but it'll be basically the same idea - eliminate borders, cooperate, etc.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 1:35 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post
Optimism is a point of view. My biggest fear is that the future will be boring which my predictions make it appear as so.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 3:09 AM

-2117: The Maple Leafs celebrate the 150th anniversary of their last Stanley Cup...

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 3:43 AM

Canada in the 21st century will likely benefit from increased global stature and a slow but steady maturation to the point where the term "Canadian culture" isn't so ambiguous.

It's really impossible to predict 100 years into the future, but I think one near-certainty is that the Territories won't be so sparse and void of human settlement as temperatures climb up north. I think the Yukon will be the next province, but I can see the NWT and Nunavut also achieving provincehood. Cities like Iqaluit, Cambridge Bay, Yellowknife, Churchill, and of course Fort McMurray should expect increased importance as regional centres in Northern Canada.

The fate of Quebec's relationship with Canada is very uncertain. Today, nationalist sentiment is well below the 50+1% needed for a win in a referendum, but I wouldn't be surprised if a resurgence occurs. I can see Quebec remaining an integral part of Canada, as there are still certainly many "Canadian" aspects to Quebec, but separation seems like the most beneficial for Quebec to assert its distinct culture and forge its own identity on the world stage. Part of me sees Quebec sovereignty as not a possibility, but an inevitability. La Belle Province simply feels different from what I've seen of Canada west of the Ottawa River and does make sense as an independent nation-state. However, Canada from the beginning was about getting two opposing parties (Anglos and Francos) to come together and create a new country together. It would be a huge blow to Canadian history and culture to lose Quebec, at least initially, but I think it would allow English Canada to have an easier time forging its own identity. It does leave the future of Francophone communities in predominantly English-speaking provinces up in the air, though.

In the event of Quebec attaining sovereignty, I don't see the Maritimes splitting off (or if they do, for independent reasons). The Maritimes, although taking a smaller piece of the demographic pie, are an important piece of English Canada and seem to share more of a kinship with Ontario westwards than Quebec does. If Alaska can be kept apart of the United States, I don't see why the Maritimes can't be kept apart of a Canada-sans-Quebec.

Newfoundland may end up leaving Canada if Quebec leaves. I highly doubt Newfoundland will leave before Quebec does, but 2115 is a long time away. Who knows? There certainly is a strong-ish nationalist sentiment on the island. Newfoundland could really go one of two ways; it could either grow more independent of "Mainland Canada", which would grow the nationalism in Newfoundland, or it could integrate more with Mainland Canadian culture and lose apart of itself in the process.

Western Canada will continue taking more of the spotlight away from Eastern Canada for the foreseeable future and growth will continue to be focused there and in the Golden Horseshoe. I wouldn't be surprised if in 50 to 70 years, if things continue as they have been (which they rarely do), Saskatchewan having a similar population and economic prominence to what Alberta had in the 1990s and early 2000s. Regina and Saskatoon could be the size of Winnipeg or Hamilton today, if not bigger.

If the Port of Churchill's potential is fully harnessed, Manitoba could see considerable growth. If not, the province will likely maintain its steady growth that has paled in comparison to its western neighbours for some time.

BC will likely grow more connected to East Asia and neighbouring US States, especially if Vancouver gets connected to a West Coast HSR. The Okanagan will probably keep urbanizing, with perhaps Kelowna reaching 350,000 mid-century or shortly thereafter. As Boomers retire more and more, places like the Okanagan and Vancouver Island will see their populations boom. Due to improvements in healthcare, the Boomers will likely be around for some time into the future, but these regions dependent on seniors will eventually run into issues unless some other generation comes along with a population to match the Baby Boomers, but demographers seem to be pointing at the opposite occurring.

Alberta will continue its boom and bust cycle for some time, I think. Fort McMurray will eventually surpass Lethbridge as the 3rd largest urban area in the province. Eventually, the province will have to diversify its economy even further than it already has, or it will be forced into Manitoba-like growth (which isn't necessarily a bad thing). I don't think Alberta will pass Ontario or Quebec in population, but it surpassing BC in population seems pretty inevitable at this point. By the 2060s, Alberta could have the population Quebec does today. Droughts and water scarcity will likely start becoming a more glaring problem in Southern Alberta in the coming decades (Southwestern Saskatchewan and parts of the Okanagan will face similar problems). Alberta will likely be the loudest voice in Western Canada and will be a huge driving factor in making Central and Eastern Canada pay more attention to the West and view it as more of a peer than a hinterland.

Ontario will be Ontario. Cradle of Canadiana, if you will. The Golden Horseshoe is probably going to continue to account for the vast majority of the province's growth. Toronto will grow more cosmopolitan, cultured, and worldly than it already is. Maybe Ottawa will become a bit less Type A. Hamilton will likely see a huge spillover of growth from the GTA, but much of Southwestern Ontario will probably be rather stagnant by comparison. Kitchener-Waterloo being an exception, and maybe London if some great new company is founded there or something. I doubt Northwestern Ontario will secede from Ontario, but as time goes on, it will make more and more sense.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 4:32 AM

It's next to impossible to predict the future. I find that when it comes to predictions, the only solid thing we can count on are demographics, since power is usually relative to a group's population, and it's relatively easy to predict population growth. Even in the circumstances when it's not, like, say, under apartheid South Africa, it was inevitable that the chickens would come home to roost.

So, based completely on demography and the way the world is going I predict:

1. The world - and Canada, too - will be significantly more African. Africa will have 1/4 of the world's population in 2050. Canadian cities will feel noticeably more African than they do today, and African food and culture will not be something unusual.

2. French will gain in importance, as will France, and Quebec's ties to this Francophonie will be a major asset for Canada.

France has the highest fertility rate among major developed countries, equal to that of countries like Turkey, Colombia, and not far below countries that we think are population bombs like Saudi Arabia. By 2050 it will have overtaken Germany to become the most populous country in the EU. Then there's the fact that the fastest growing countries in the world - Niger, Mali, Burundi - are French African.

3. For better or for worse, revolution and major upheaval will be difficult because the population will be old

I expect that the fact that baby boomers will be in their 70s, 80s and even 90s will have a huge drag on our ability to make substantial societal reforms. Even if societies and economies didn't work in their favour (which they do), the baby boomers won't have the physical energy or the spectre of a future ahead of them to motivate them to get out into the streets and fight. Since they will outnumber any of the other cohorts, I don't expect things to advance much in any field. We might find that the next few decades are unusually slow.

I, myself, am constantly amazed by how much the music that kids listen to nowadays sounds exactly the same as synth pop from the 1980s, and how songs from the early 90s are still playing on "new" music stations. When I was growing up in the 80s, it was inconceivable that something from 22 years ago would be played on anything other than an oldies station.

Anyway, I really think demographics plays a huge part in change. The world never moved faster than it did in the 1960s when the baby boomers were young and the population of the world was growing rapidly.

I think we are going to be amazed at how slowly the 21st century will evolve.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 4:48 AM
ARTchitecture

A possible future for Canada and the United States (totally fictional, made it years ago)

Canada future by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

United Republic of Canada population: 93 million
Union of Western America: 74 million
Confederate Alliance of American States: 200 million
Free nation of Florida: 23 million
New England Federation: 55 million
Alaskan Democratic Republic: 1.3 million

Territorial changes include:

2016 - The province of Newfoundland and Labrador separates to become two distinct provinces.

2022 - The establishment of the Inuit/Cree territory of Nunavik in Northern Quebec.

2025 - The province of Ontario splits: the Southern 1/5 of the province retaining the name 'Ontario' and the northern 4/5 becoming the province of Winipekwa.

2030 - The United States falls into civil war due to extremism from the religious right of the Central and Southern states.

2031 - Amidst the civil war, Alaska secedes from the USA to become the Democratic Republic of Alaska.

2035 - The Northwest Territories are renamed Denendeh, an Athabaskan word meaning "Our Land," and on the same day becomes a province.

2040 - The dissolution of the United States of America following the civil war, allowing for the states of Washington, Maine, Michigan and parts of Idaho and Montana to join the Canadian federation.

2040 - Yukon becomes a province.

2041 - From the devastated remnants of the former USA, the Union of Western America is born out of the states of California, Oregon, Nevada and Idaho. The New England federation is formed out of New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont, Rhode Island and New Hampshire.

2042 - The new province of Cascadia is formed out of the defunct states of Washington and parts of Idaho and Montana that seceded, joining the federation that same year.

2044 - The Confederate Alliance of American States is born out of the right-wing states which started the war.

2045 - Florida declares independence from the Confederacy.

2049 - The Dominion of Greenland joins the Canadian Republic as the province of Kalaallit Nunaat.

2060 - The United Republic of Canada is declared, thereby abolishing the Canadian monarchy.

2065 - The provinces of British Columbia, Alberta and Saskatchewan separate into 6 new provinces. British Columbia becomes 'Columbia' in the south and 'Peace' in the north, Alberta's south maintains that name and the north becomes 'Athabasca', while Saskatchewan's north retains the name and the south becomes 'Assiniboia', in accordance with traditional historic names for these regions.

2068 - The URC, UWA, and NEF form a monetary and customs union, abolishing borders and creating a common currency known as the Amero.

2070 - The United Republic of Canada has a population of 92 852 000 in 21 provinces and 2 semi-autonomous Inuit territories.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 9:31 AM
video et taceo

2200 - 'canada' is remembered as a temporary, post-british empire interregnum measure by which the northern half of the north american continent was administered in a relatively non-cutthroat period of peace and plenty.

this period will be viewed as having begun in 1931 with the treaty of westminster. it's end will have come more gradually as canada cedes sovereignty to a variety of transnational projects heralded as bringing in a cosmopolitan new era of global trade and exchange. following the events of 2066, these are largely revealed to be the party masks of various fledgling empires, and by then canada is too legally implicated to remove itself without violence.

besides, we like being powerful imperials. we always have.

the empires rule for a century that is initially characterized by technological wonders but eventually grows decadent and overstretched. the violence of their eventual clash and collapse returns us to a state in which the majority of people outside a few secretive cabals live pre-modern lives.

canada becomes a series of quasi-independent nations ruled by various ethnic, linguistic, religious, and military orders. though it is still officially a part of empire x and still flies the flag of the "union of peace" (or whatever they end up calling it) over a few structures, this is a situation not unlike rome under the vandals. the true sovereignty of the place is dispersed.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 11:09 AM
See ya down under, mates

In 2080

-The maritimes have depopulated as young Canadians moved west for jobs. Quaint, mostly unsuccessful tourist towns are all that remain.

-French language and culture diminishes as Quebec is unable to find like-minded replacements for its aging population. As a side effect, Montreal rebounds and modernizes with the threat of separatism long over. Population grows to a diverse 10 million and the city reasserts itself as a viable alternative to Toronto for people of all cultures.

-Toronto becomes even more of a megalopolis, attracting international and Canadian immigrants as its gigantic 15+ million population feeds on itself. It develops more of a distinct personality, becoming less stereotypically Canadian and more cosmopolitan. People around the world start to recognize it as one of the most important cities.

-With oil dependent personal transportation a thing of the past, Alberta's importance has declined drastically and most of its young people have moved to Toronto in search of jobs. The only people left in Calgary and Edmonton are those too poor/entrenched/delusional to leave, much like Detroit in 2015.

-Vancouver becomes a resort town of 6 million with a significant ultra-rich, jet setting Han Chinese majority. The rest of the country forgets it even exists, except to mock its sky high real estate prices and condo boom that surely must be ending any year now. Speaking Mandarin is essential for your career and daily life. Social unrest and racial tension is rampant, as the old population gets pushed further east and resents their second class status. Its reputation as a laid back, drug friendly hippie city is long over - it is now the most right wing, up-tight city in Canada with towering 80+ storey luxury skyscrapers surrounded by desperate homeless people that are kept in check by ruthless, violent private security corporations.

-Victoria becomes a bigger player, aided by a mass baby boomer immigration wave in the 2020s and the decline of Vancouver as a destination for non-Chinese Canadians. A pleasant climate and proximity to the increasingly important US west coast aids its growth to 2 million population.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 2:17 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
besides, we like being powerful imperials. we always have.

Or at least, riding on the coattails of the true imperials!

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 2:22 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
A possible future for Canada and the United States (totally fictional, made it years ago)

Canada future by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

United Republic of Canada population: 93 million
Union of Western America: 74 million
Confederate Alliance of American States: 200 million
Free nation of Florida: 23 million
New England Federation: 55 million
Alaskan Democratic Republic: 1.3 million

Territorial changes include:

2016 - The province of Newfoundland and Labrador separates to become two distinct provinces.

2022 - The establishment of the Inuit/Cree territory of Nunavik in Northern Quebec.

2025 - The province of Ontario splits: the Southern 1/5 of the province retaining the name 'Ontario' and the northern 4/5 becoming the province of Winipekwa.

2030 - The United States falls into civil war due to extremism from the religious right of the Central and Southern states.

2031 - Amidst the civil war, Alaska secedes from the USA to become the Democratic Republic of Alaska.

2035 - The Northwest Territories are renamed Denendeh, an Athabaskan word meaning "Our Land," and on the same day becomes a province.

2040 - The dissolution of the United States of America following the civil war, allowing for the states of Washington, Maine, Michigan and parts of Idaho and Montana to join the Canadian federation.

2040 - Yukon becomes a province.

2041 - From the devastated remnants of the former USA, the Union of Western America is born out of the states of California, Oregon, Nevada and Idaho. The New England federation is formed out of New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont, Rhode Island and New Hampshire.

2042 - The new province of Cascadia is formed out of the defunct states of Washington and parts of Idaho and Montana that seceded, joining the federation that same year.

2044 - The Confederate Alliance of American States is born out of the right-wing states which started the war.

2045 - Florida declares independence from the Confederacy.

2049 - The Dominion of Greenland joins the Canadian Republic as the province of Kalaallit Nunaat.

2060 - The United Republic of Canada is declared, thereby abolishing the Canadian monarchy.

2065 - The provinces of British Columbia, Alberta and Saskatchewan separate into 6 new provinces. British Columbia becomes 'Columbia' in the south and 'Peace' in the north, Alberta's south maintains that name and the north becomes 'Athabasca', while Saskatchewan's north retains the name and the south becomes 'Assiniboia', in accordance with traditional historic names for these regions.

2068 - The URC, UWA, and NEF form a monetary and customs union, abolishing borders and creating a common currency known as the Amero.

2070 - The United Republic of Canada has a population of 92 852 000 in 21 provinces and 2 semi-autonomous Inuit territories.
I can see Maine hypothetically joining Canada and parts of Cascadia and even the UP of Michigan, but southern Michigan, no way.

Both the white and black populations in southern Michigan are extremely different from people in southern Ontario. African-Americans there are different from black Canadians for obvious reasons, and even the whites there are often descendants of white labourers who came from Appalachia and the South during the boom in the auto industry, and still retain a number of cultural traits (and mindsets) from those origins. It's a very different population makeup from that of southern Ontario which, if you have to make an American comparison, is probably more similar to places in the NE US which are east of it, in the BosNYWash corridor especially.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 4:00 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post

Late 2015: Harper conservative win another majority government

2018: privatization of Canadian healthcare begins with the implementation of a duel private/public healthcare system, Harpers support drops, the liberal government is elected a minority government

2025: growing income inequality and rapid cost of living rises in Vancouver and Toronto lead to riots and stricter justice laws, largest mass arrest in Canadian history

2030: Conservatives elected a landslide victory under a strong anti immigration platform and cracking down on social spending, social spending and healthcare are cut, and pension age is raised to 70.

2035: global economy enters a depression, highest unemployment level in decades strikes Canada, this is coupled with a decade of increased automation, unemployment rate exceeds 20% and with dropping social spending, homelessness skyrockets. The housing market now 80% inflated finally collapses and social unrest becomes normal, the direct institutions of government collapse due to a rise in anarchy and violence, crime rate skyrockets.

2040: due to resource scarcity, the remnants of government in the U.S. and Canada work on an agreement, Canada is annexed by the United states.

The new country made from the two, declares war on the Middle East for refusing to trade oil and energy assets which are now deemed too expensive or difficult to extract in Alberta. This leads to a 3rd world war

2050: war ends, the new North American state wins new territory and power in the Middle East.

2060: world enters a massive extinction event brought on by climate change and human activities, peak oil reached, western society fully collapses into a new dark age.
Do you really this this is what will actually happen within the next 45 years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
-Vancouver becomes a resort town of 6 million with a significant ultra-rich, jet setting Han Chinese majority. The rest of the country forgets it even exists, except to mock its sky high real estate prices and condo boom that surely must be ending any year now. Speaking Mandarin is essential for your career and daily life. Social unrest and racial tension is rampant, as the old population gets pushed further east and resents their second class status. Its reputation as a laid back, drug friendly hippie city is long over - it is now the most right wing, up-tight city in Canada with towering 80+ storey luxury skyscrapers surrounded by desperate homeless people that are kept in check by ruthless, violent private security corporations.
I know it sounds ridiculous, but I wouldn't be surprised if this actually happened.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 4:02 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post

Where is RoboCop when you need him?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 4:34 PM

2050 - An extraterrestrial species locates Earth and destroys our planet.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I can see Maine hypothetically joining Canada and parts of Cascadia and even the UP of Michigan, but southern Michigan, no way.

Both the white and black populations in southern Michigan are extremely different from people in southern Ontario. African-Americans there are different from black Canadians for obvious reasons, and even the whites there are often descendants of white labourers who came from Appalachia and the South during the boom in the auto industry, and still retain a number of cultural traits (and mindsets) from those origins. It's a very different population makeup from that of southern Ontario which, if you have to make an American comparison, is probably more similar to places in the NE US which are east of it, in the BosNYWash corridor especially.
Yeah, I remember we all said basically the same when this map was initially posted.

Also I'd say Vermont is more likely than Maine to join Canada if you need a Northeast state to join us.

Southern Michigan is guaranteed to remain part of that "Confederate Alliance of American States" or whatever entity all the neighboring states are part of at the time.

FL is really extremely unlikely to go its own way... but if you want, a less unrealistic scenario would be an independent city-state Miami as the Singapore of Latin America.

P.S. I've also noted that Alberta has no capital on that map. I assume it's not Red Deer or Lethbridge.

P.P.S. You weren't very generous to Regina (esp. compared to Sudbury, St. John's, etc.)

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
Do you really this this is what will actually happen within the next 45 years?
Well, I could see "pension age is raised to 70."

Or "Harper reelected in 2015."

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 4:56 PM
The Vomit Bag.

SSP 2115: The debate over the ascendant West and declining East will continue unabated, as the argument is carried out over 4 successive generations of woot-wooters. Much to several serial posters' chagrin, Montreal will firmly retain its ranking as Canada's second largest city (and 2nd best skyline ). Lest Montrealers rejoice, the 2115 edition of the Parti Quebecois will be convening a Province-wide commission to delineate the winning conditions for another referendum on sovereignty. Astronauts will receive training in Northern Alberta for a manned mission to Io. Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton will still be vying for 4th city status in Canada. Pundits will be predicting a major real estate crash in Vancouver, which has long been majority ethnic Chinese. Meanwhile the photographs of the latter city's skyline and mountain backdrop will continue to amaze and provoke envy.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
Do you really this this is what will actually happen within the next 45 years.
The first 30 years yes, after 2040 I was throwing darts.

I don't see western society lasting much past the end of peak oil around 2060.

And I'm not too supportive of capitalism as practiced currently. I don't see this country turning back now. Income inequality is bad and this country becomes more unequal by the day.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada