HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

The Rolston in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jan 22, 2010, 5:32 PM
+

The Rolston | 76m | 23 fl | Completed

Last edited by Hed Kandi; Oct 4, 2022 at 4:10 PM.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2010, 5:33 PM
+

Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 7:24 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hed Kandi View Post
Vancouver’s Cecil Hotel is demolished to be replaced by the Rolston, a 23-storey tower
shedding assets: Brass artifact to be sold for charity at private party in strip-club showroom
Andy Ivens

Province

Thursday, January, 21, 2010

The Cecil Hotel’s steamy contribution to Vancouver entertainment history will bump and grind to a halt this summer, when the building is demolished to make way for a new condo development. Les Bazso — PNG

When Vancouver’s Cecil Hotel is demolished later this year, a vestige of the strip club’s lively history will survive.

The brass pole used by a cavalcade of exotic dancers in their acts over the years will be auctioned off next week in what the developers of the condo project that will replace the Cecil have dubbed “The Last Dance.”

“We’re hoping [the pole] will bring in [a donation] in the thousands,” Will Lin, president of Rize Alliance Properties, told The Province on Wednesday.
During my reckless youth, I spent some time seeing the peelers at the Cecil. Saw the very delicious Charmane Star there once!
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 8:21 PM
Bridge Walker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
During my reckless youth, I spent some time seeing the peelers at the Cecil. Saw the very delicious Charmane Star there once!
Awesome. I once saw Teri Weigel at the Cecil after she forsake Playboy and went bad.

Charmaine Star....Schwing!

Old Posted Dec 31, 2012, 3:11 AM

From the Cambie Bridge:

Rolston and Mark:

Old Posted Jan 22, 2010, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hed Kandi View Post
[Another flagship development, The Rolston embraces the past while pointing the way to the future. Situated in one of the last heritage properties in the downtown core, this high rise residential tower incorporates cutting edge design features, much needed single room accommodation, and dynamic heritage revitalization, to reintroduce this major gateway to Granville Street. Breathtaking views from expanded decks, bonus density, and a vibrant arts center, The Rolston is destined to become a Vancouver landmark. We see this as more than just a building, but as an actual modern living center that embraces cultural diversity, revolutionary floor plans, and urban rejuvenation.

Official Website:
http://www.rize.ca/developments/mixed-use/the-rolston/
OK, I realize real-estate speak is mostly gibberish, but what exactly does: "Situated in one of the last heritage properties in the downtown core" mean? What's "heritage" about a lot beside the Granville St Bridge? Is the building heritage? If it is, who cares, as they're tearing it down?!

Old Posted Jan 22, 2010, 8:05 PM
+

Old Posted Jan 22, 2010, 7:31 PM

lol, just be happy they didn't call it "One of the last remaining bridgefront opportunities"

Old Posted Jan 22, 2010, 7:32 PM

They mean the Yale Hotel - it's revitalization is part of the project.

"in" a property certainly doesn't make sense - but I don't expect much from marketers

Old Posted Jan 22, 2010, 10:35 PM

is it social housing or condos? i thought it was social housing

Old Posted Jan 22, 2010, 10:40 PM

Thank god they're keeping the Yale.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2010, 10:55 PM

I must chime in

This is a piss poor location for a condo, is this not our "Entertainment" strip? Are we then not loosing another entertainments facility for more condos? I know it is a bit of a dive and there is nothing special about the building, but I would rather see another entertainment venue being built in its place possibly with office, retail or hotel aspects.

Also the Cecil Sign will be another lighting loss to Granville.

I woud think there are many plots left if the city really desires to plop another condo into the core.

The design is nice, but I don't like the location. Granville should remain entertainment and commercial orientated as possible. that way you don't have NIMBYs trying to water it down. It protects both interests doing so.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2010, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
I must chime in

This is a piss poor location for a condo, is this not our "Entertainment" strip? Are we then not loosing another entertainments facility for more condos?
Well they are at least keeping the Cecils liquor license to reuse for the first 2 floors of the new building.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2010, 6:06 AM

Too bad the Cecil is getting torn down. Perhaps if it had been better maintained over the years it would be a little more appreciated. Or not.
A pic from the VPL website of it, 1926:

Old Posted Jan 22, 2010, 10:58 PM

http://www.news1130.com/news/local/a...-auction-block

Quote:
A piece of the Cecil on the auction block
The hotel is getting destroyed, while the Yale gets a makeover
John Ackermann Jan 21, 2010 07:59:26 AM
6 Recommendation(s)
VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - It's your chance to own a bawdy piece of Vancouver history.

The Cecil Hotel has a date with a wrecking ball later this year and next week the pole from its famous strip club will go on the auction block. The developers of a condo project being built on the site are hosting a gala Tuesday night dubbed "The Last Dance" with funds from the winning bid going to charity.
While the bumping and grinding is set to come to an end, the blues will continue at the Yale Hotel next door. The heritage building is set to get an extensive makeover once the new condo tower is finished.
It's good to see the Yale is getting fixed up.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2010, 11:41 PM

The heritage register listed Yale building and its more recent adjacent neighbour to the east will be retained, restored, and nearly 50 modern SRO social housing units will be created and given to the city. The Yale Blues Club operator will return and run the club after the renovations. The Rolston tower will be built in place of the Cecil strip club hotel and it will be market condos. A large two-storey restaurant will be at the base of the Rolston tower and enter from a new atrium built between the tower and the Yale.

Rolston Cresent will be built up from its current alley level to the new street level and when the eastern Granville St loop is removed in the future Rolston Cresent will turn west onto the Granville St Bridge to form half of a new intersection that will be mirrored on the other side. Roston would also continue south and link up with Pacific as part of the new post-loops street grid. The new building lots created by the removal of the loops will be City-owned and they will be sold to pay off the cost of the loop removal. DLCs and CACs would still be collected from the projects that would be built on those sites.

Last edited by SFUVancouver; Jan 23, 2010 at 6:11 AM.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2010, 6:11 AM

^ Don't forget that the Granville Street Bridge was built without any concern about the heritage merit of the Cecil. The bridge deck comes a third of the way of the building and abuts it.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2010, 6:48 PM

Its an interesting looking building, but a lousy location. Once the greenwashers in the planning department remove the Granville St Bridge's cloverleaf ramps, that stretch will become even busier.

Anyone know the source of the name, or was it just picked out of a hat?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2010, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Anyone know the source of the name, or was it just picked out of a hat?
It's named after the street - Rolston Crescent - on which it is located (Google Map). I don't know the origin of the street name (Possibly Tilly Jean Rolston (?) )

Last edited by Locked In; Jan 23, 2010 at 8:48 PM.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2010, 2:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked In View Post
It's named after the street - Rolston Crescent - on which it is located (Google Map). I don't know the origin of the street name (Possibly Tilly Jean Rolston (?) )
Doh! I guess I should have looked at a map, I always though that was just an unnamed lane.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver