HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Dec 12, 2009, 5:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabadrock View Post
The entire state has been slow to lose its leaves. The trees in my yard in North Alabama JUST got finished shedding. BUT, last night it got down to 19 degrees in Decatur.

Of course, some of the trees you see in those pictures might be pines, magnolias, or live oaks, which don't lose their leaves.
The differences in vegetation are striking, and more so for me since I've been gone. I do see a few live oaks in the pics above, but I was referring the the lime-green color of those.... whatever those other trees are. Maples?

Another thing I have not gotten used to is the price differential in Christmas trees. I remember a good 7 or 8 foot real tree in Montgomery would run $70, maybe $90 bucks. Out here, of course, we are surrounded by Spruces and Firs so extremely opulent Christmas trees are a pittance. My boss told me his 17-foot tree cost....$24. Gotta love Portland!

I am very sorry for turning this into a botanist's thread. Back to buildings!

Old Posted Dec 14, 2009, 2:24 PM

The Montgomery City Council will meet at 5 p.m. Tuesday in the council chamber.

Prayer by Councillor Cornelius "C.C." Calhoun or guest

Pledge of Allegiance

Approval of December 1, 2009 Work Session Minutes

Approval of December 1, 2009 Regular Council Meeting Minutes

Mayor's Message

Special Committee Reports

Public Communications on Agenda Items (To address the Council during this time, the Roster must be signed before meeting begins indicating agenda item number to be discussed.)

OLD BUSINESS

1. Application for a Lounge Retail Liquor - Class I License by Antoine Gillespie Green, d/b/a Da Shot House, 1700 Bell Street.

2. Application for a Lounge Retail Liquor - Class I License by Phylesia Diana Lambert, d/b/a Greenboy Arcade, 536 Mobile Street.

NEW BUSINESS

3. Application for a Lounge Retail Liquor - Class I License by Buddys Bar and Grill LLC, d/b/a Buddys, 62 Dexter Avenue.

4. Application for a Restaurant Retail Liquor License by Robert Baumhower, d/b/a Baumhower's Restaurant, 2465 Eastern Boulevard.

5. Application for a Restaurant Retail Liquor License by Hurricane Entertainment LLC, d/b/a Key Largo Bar and Grill, 1343 Dalraida Road.

6. Resolution reappointing George H. Cox to the Parks and Recreation Board by Councillor Smith.

7. Resolution reappointing Scott Miller to the Board of Trustees - Retirement Fund by Councillor Pruitt.

8. Resolution reappointing James E. Vice, Jr. to the Parks and Recreation Board by Councillor Pruitt.

9. Resolution declaring public nuisances, authorizing immediate abatement and assessing the cost of abatement of public nuisances on various lots pursuant to Ordinance No. 34-2009.

10. Council as a Committee.

11. Public Communications on Non-Agenda Items (To address the Council during this time, the City Clerk must have been contacted prior to Noon Monday)

Old Posted Dec 15, 2009, 3:56 AM

Great move. Baumhower's Wings will be moving across the street into the old Smokey Bones building. It's much larger.

I wonder if Buddy's will have live bands like 'Off The Wagon' had?

Old Posted Dec 21, 2009, 4:37 PM

December 21, 2009

Montgomery officials waiting to assess trolley's impact

By Jill Nolin

The city's new trolley routes, the Entertainment Express, have been well received by Maxwell Air Force Base, but interest has been lukewarm in Old Cloverdale.

City officials hope that will change once the weather warms and the Biscuits baseball season starts up again in the spring.

Mayor Todd Strange said he would want to wait a full six months before assessing the routes and considering any changes.

But the mayor did say he was pleased with the participation at Maxwell, which accounts for as much as 80 percent of the total ridership so far.

"That is as important as anything -- to get Maxwell downtown and to Cloverdale," Strange said.

The Entertainment Express, which started in early November, replaced the lunch trolley in downtown Montgomery. Whereas the lunch trolley had a relatively strong start-up ridership that died off, city officials hope ridership on the Entertainment Express might start slow but will pick up over time.

So far, the trolleys are picking up an average of 100 people each week, with the trolleys running from 6:30 to 11:30 p.m. Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

In November, 475 people rode the trolley. For the first two weekends in December, 186 people have boarded the trolleys, which connect Old Cloverdale and Maxwell to downtown.

Friday is typically the night with the highest ridership, according to Kelvin Miller, general manager for the Montgomery Area Transit System. This past weekend was the exception, with it being the first time that Friday was not the strongest night.

The breakdown: 33 people rode Thursday, Dec. 10, 12 on Friday, Dec. 11, and six Saturday, Dec. 12.

"Friday night is the most popular night. The large majority of ridership is coming from Maxwell, and it seems the folks at Maxwell are going out on Friday night more than they are on any other night," Miller said.

Miller said he was not surprised by Maxwell's interest because Maxwell has a high concentration of people and many of those people do not have their own vehicle or do not have access to a vehicle.

"What we're thinking is, come springtime, that we may get a lot more riders. Wintertime doesn't seem to spur people to go out and do things," Miller said.

Miller said the time could be adjusted at some point, but it is not clear right now how it might change. Some people complain that the trolleys start up too late in the evening; others complain that the trolleys stop running too early, Miller said. And whatever change is made must stay within budget.

Additional Facts
FIND OUT MORE
To find out when an Entertainment Express trolley will be at a pick-up point, call 262-7356.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2009, 4:41 PM

December 20, 2009

East Boulevard business owners: City too focused on downtown

By Cosby Woodruff

The thought of another downtown pub crawl makes Vince Saele's skin crawl.

Saele owns Rock Bottom American Pub on East Boul­evard, and he is perhaps the most vocal of a group of busi­ness owners who feel that their tax dollars are unfairly supporting competing estab­lishments. As the Alley itself is owned by the city of Mont­gomery, Saele worries too much attention is being fo­cused on the businesses there.

The businesses are inde­pendent, but Saele worries that the city partnership in the project is unfair.

City spokeswoman Carol Gunter insisted that is not the case.

"It is just what is going on downtown is new," she said. "Having a vibrant down­town helps the whole city. It helps bring money to the city by bringing conventions downtown."

Saele insists he is not anti-downtown or anti-Alley.

"I pay for my own promo­tions, so the businesses there should pay for their promo­tions," he said.

He is particularly upset by a shuttle that carries week­end revelers to and from Maxwell Air Force Base, downtown and the Clo­verdale entertainment dis­trict. He fears the shuttle will make other areas more attractive to one of his top sources of clients.

"The military is good to us," he said. "We get a lot of our customers from the mili­tary."

Montgomery Mayor Todd Strange said the shuttle, called the Entertainment Ex­press, is a service to the ma­jor area for revelers.

"We can't do a private shuttle to every entertain­ment venue in this city," he said.

Saele agreed that down­town needed revitalizing, but said it should have been a gradual process, not one primed by tax dollars. And as badly as downtown needed revitalization, he said the segment of the Boulevard be­tween Troy Highway and In­terstate 85 will soon be in the same shape if it is neglected.

His business, a daytime restaurant and nighttime party spot, filled a building left empty by a national chain eatery. Within a cou­ple of miles of his place, he sees several other restaurant buildings once filled by na­tional casual chains sitting empty. Retailers, from small shops to big-box stores, also are closing along the once-thriving shopping district.

Saele fears that without support from the city, that part of the Boulevard will come to resemble the stretch between Troy Highway and I-65. That is part of another revitalization effort at the city, and Saele worries that is more costly than support­ing existing businesses.

One of Saele's neighbors, Don Parker of Baumhower's Restaurant, shares his con­cerns to a point.

"It would be wonderful to have the support the Alley gets," he said. "The Alley brought a change to that part of town, but any support would be appreciated."

Strange praised the com­pany for expanding in the city and said that is what makes business work.

"Government can't do ev­erything," he said. "What we can do is provide the infra­structure to allow entrepre­neurs to grow their business­es."

Strange compared owning the Alley, which he called a pedestrian walkway, to the roads in front of businesses on the Boulevard.

Gunter pointed out the Al­ley's location near down­town convention facilities and lodging, but Saele in­sisted that the I-85/Boulevard interchange still has the largest concentra­tion of hotel rooms in Mont­gomery.

"Some of my best market­ing comes when a guest goes to the front desk and asks where to eat," he said.

One of his biggest worries is getting squeezed between two popular entertainment areas. Not only do Boulevard business owners have an eye on downtown, they also watch with growing frustra­tion as retailers pull up roots and move to the EastChase area.

Saele knows that enter­tainment establishments will follow the retail custom­ers, and he worries tourists will be directed to the down­town area. That means the Boulevard, already in early stages of decline, will find it­self spiraling out of control, he worries.

"I don't want it to become one giant eyesore," he said.

Gunter asked for patience from business owners in oth­er parts of Montgomery.

"We know it appears we are ignoring them, but that is not it at all," she said. "We are working on stuff all over Montgomery.

"The Boulevard is an area that Montgomery wants to see keep retailers in there."

Old Posted Dec 21, 2009, 4:43 PM

December 20, 2009

Baumhower's chooses to stay close to home

By Cosby Woodruff

Baumhower's was a favor­ite eating spot on the East Boulevard before a series of national casual restaurants opened, then closed.

When the restaurant real­ized it would not be able to work out an expiring lease at its current location, it be­gan scouting for new spots. It looked at the hot locations -- Prattville and EastChase -- before deciding on an abandoned restaurant build­ing almost directly across the Boulevard.

Baumhower's will close its original Montgomery lo­cation at the end of today's business and on Tuesday open in a former Smokey Bones location on the other side of the Boulevard. Com­pany owner Bob Baumhow­er decided that the restau­rant would stay on the Boulevard for a number of reasons, according to gener­al manager Don Parker.

That doesn't mean it is closing the door on the rest of the River Region. In fact, Baumhower's plans a down­town location, in the new RSA headquarters building, to open in the first quarter of 2010.

The Alabama-based chain came to Montgomery as Baumhower's Wings Sports Grille. It will change its name to Baumhower's Res­taurant to reflect an expand­ing menu, Parker said.

"That just reflects the changing of the brand," he said.

That location will focus on breakfast and lunch for workers in the downtown area. The Boulevard loca­tion will focus on lunch, din­ner and the early party crowd.

Parker pointed to the traf­fic passing in front of his building recently and said that it still has one of the best daily vehicle counts of any spot in the city. He also said the company just didn't want to be part of the mass exodus from the area.

"Bob decided he would like to stay on the Boule­vard," he said.

"We were afraid we would get lost in a move."

The building, which will seat about 270, is expected to open at 4 p.m. Tuesday.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2009, 5:20 PM

First in the Country

From Montgomery Advertiser:

Plasma plant presents powerful possibilities for Montgomery
By Jill Nolin • jnolin@gannett.com • December 26, 2009

HUNTSVILLE -- Montgomery envisions a green future, both because it may help the area become one of the most environmentally friendly in the country and because it could save millions of dollars in the process.
Montgomery is trying to do this by becoming the first city in the country to embrace what could literally be one of the nation's hottest technologies.
Using temperatures as high as 3,200 degrees Fahrenheit, a plasma gasification plant could potentially convert up to 175,000 tons of household waste into energy or reusable byproducts -- both of which can be sold for profit.
The temperatures used in the process are so high that proponents of the plant are saying it could recycle virtually all the city's garbage, as long as it was not hazardous waste.
The plant could also save Montgomery millions while weaning it off of a landfill. But while it could be good for the environment and for the city's budget, it could also mean a plump return for investors willing to fund the cutting edge technology.
If the plant was built here, it would make Montgomery the first city in the world to use graphite arc plasma to gasify household waste.
And, other than a slight release of sodium chloride, which is what makes up table salt, the tests conducted have not revealed any other potential threat to the environment.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2009, 12:10 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital Heights View Post
From Montgomery Advertiser:

Plasma plant presents powerful possibilities for Montgomery
By Jill Nolin • jnolin@gannett.com • December 26, 2009

HUNTSVILLE -- Montgomery envisions a green future, both because it may help the area become one of the most environmentally friendly in the country and because it could save millions of dollars in the process.
Montgomery is trying to do this by becoming the first city in the country to embrace what could literally be one of the nation's hottest technologies.
Using temperatures as high as 3,200 degrees Fahrenheit, a plasma gasification plant could potentially convert up to 175,000 tons of household waste into energy or reusable byproducts -- both of which can be sold for profit.
The temperatures used in the process are so high that proponents of the plant are saying it could recycle virtually all the city's garbage, as long as it was not hazardous waste.
The plant could also save Montgomery millions while weaning it off of a landfill. But while it could be good for the environment and for the city's budget, it could also mean a plump return for investors willing to fund the cutting edge technology.
If the plant was built here, it would make Montgomery the first city in the world to use graphite arc plasma to gasify household waste.
And, other than a slight release of sodium chloride, which is what makes up table salt, the tests conducted have not revealed any other potential threat to the environment.
Sounds like an awesome opportunity for the city and state. If this is successful, it would make Montgomery VERY appealing as a green industrial center, not to mention the benefits for BOTH Birmingham and Montgomery.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Dec 28, 2009, 2:40 PM

Thumbs up off-topic article of interest

December 28, 2009

Recyclers undeterred: Some Montgomery residents continue practice despite overall drop in participation

By Jill Nolin

It's a most unnatural deed for Donna Farrior, but if she must, she will throw away her plastic bottles -- for now.

The Montgomery resident has recycled in her home for so long that it has become a lifestyle for her. She recycles everything that the city's new recycling program will accept.

But Farrior is in the minority.

When Montgomery ended its curbside recycling program because of budget cuts this year, it also ended the recycling ef­forts of the majority of Montgomery households. Since the city stopped pickups it is estimated that the number of house­holds that recycle in the city has dropped from about 21,000 to about 3,000.

It hasn't dissuaded Farrior, who uses cloth bags when she buys groceries, drinks water from a glass instead of plastic bot­tles, and yes, still recycles.

"I still recycle. The hardest thing is just remembering which Saturday to get it up there (to the drop-off location)," said Far­rior, who lives off of Carter Hill Road in the midtown area. (Mount Scrap will take No. 1 and No. 2 plastics, but that would re­quire Farrior to make a special trip for just plastic bottles.)

For Farrior, recycling is engrained in her. So when the city ended its curbside recycling program, which started in 1989, she adjusted and continued to recycle. She collects the recyclable items in her garage and drops them off at Dannelly Elemen­tary School on Carter Hill Road on the first and third Saturdays.

Al Cantrell, who owns Al's Flowers in the Mulberry business district, was simi­larly undeterred -- although disappointed -- when the city nixed curbside recycling.

"I am a recycling freak. I recycle every­thing," he said. "I just feel like it's the right thing to do. I don't feel like we al­ways need to make a decision money-wise."

"(The trash) isn't going anywhere. I'm just real, real adamant about it. We need to be recycling for the future generations and for the world," Cantrell said.

Not all of Cantrell's friends are as de­voted. When recycling meant holding onto the recyclable items for a couple weeks, if not longer sometimes, and then driving to a drop-off location, some lost interest.

Farrior and Cantrell are among the avid recycling participants who have followed the city from the curbside program to the drop-off system that replaced it. But that move has lost many of the other partici­pants who would recycle when recycling was as convenient as putting items in a bag and putting it by the road.

Whereas about 30 percent of Mont­gomery's 70,000 households, or roughly about 21,000 households, participated in the curbside recycling program, only about 3,000 people are now bringing their recycl­able items at one of the city's drop-off points, according to Susan Carmichael, program director.

"The participation was there, especial­ly in the east," she said. "I think, on the whole, it was an excellent program. But in the big picture, the numbers just didn't make sense."

A major issue was the amount of the recyclable items that ended up being re­cycled -- or rather, the amount that didn't.

The city takes its recyclable items to McInnis Recycling Center on Norman Bridge Road, but the program could not handle the workload, and it was not feasi­ble to take the recycling to another center.

The result was that many of the orange bags in which residents put materials they believed were being recycled were instead being dumped at the city landfill.

It's clear that the city lost the majority of the recycling participants when the con­venience of curbside recycling was lost.

Montgomery has entered into a con­tract with a Huntsville company to use a cutting-edge technology that could even­tually recycle virtually all of the city's gar­bage, not just items such as paper, plastic or glass that have long been seen as re­cyclable. But even if it is as successful as the city and the company hope, that would be years down the road.

Carmichael said the Clean City Commis­sion, which oversees the recycling pro­gram, wants to do something now, and that the best way to accomplish this is to try to bring back some of that conven­ience.

"We just want to keep recycling alive," Carmichael said.

The goal is to get as many recycling containers as possible out in the nine City Council districts. With the city's original plan for drop-off recycling, a drop-off point is offered in each district on the first and third Saturday of each month.

The containers would give participants the opportunity to drop off their recycl­able items whenever they wanted to, not just on the designated Saturdays.

The containers are available, but the city needs locations for the containers. Carmichael said she is trying to work with churches, schools, businesses and neigh­borhoods to identify locations.

Some organizations have expressed ap­prehension about playing host to a con­tainer out of fear that the containers would become a dumping point for all gar­bage. Carmichael said the companies, J.B. Waste Connections and Mount Scrap, would monitor the containers to deter such activity.

Carmichael said a news conference will be held in January to announce the loca­tions of these containers. Anyone interest­ed in having a container on their property can call the Clean City Commission at 241-2925 to make the arrangements.

Eastern Hills Baptist Church at 3604 Pleasant Ridge Road, is one of the Mont­gomery churches that have agreed to have a container placed on its property. The container is already in place behind the church.

Dan Harrison, administrator at the church, said the church wanted to do what it could to help the recycling program.

"It's really sad because I've only lived here for about eight months and other cit­ies I've lived in have had (curbside recy­cling programs). For the capital city not to have one is pretty bad," Harrison said.

Additional Facts
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
Christmas tree recycling: All old trees can be brought to the Saturday trash collection points Jan. 2. The recycled trees are mulched or used for fish hatcheries in local lakes. Trees put out by the road are not recycled.

Drop-off sites: Aluminum, paper and cardboard are accepted at the following drop-off sites on the first and third Saturday of each month:
Halcyon Elementary
Goodwyn Jr. High
Dannelly Elementary
Wares Ferry Elementary
Peter Crump Elementary
Bellingrath Jr. High
Southlawn Elementary

Drop-off containers are also available anytime at McInnis Recycling Center on 4341 Norman Bridge Road and Mount Scrap Material Co. at 824 N. Decatur St. McInnis will only take paper, aluminum and cardboard, and Mount Scrap will take those items plus Nos. 1 and 2 plastics.

The new drop-off containers will be announced in January. The Mount Scrap containers will take only newspaper and magazines. The J.B. Waste Connections containers, which are divided in halves, will take mixed paper and cardboard in one part and plastic and metals in the other.

Source: The city of Montgomery

Old Posted Dec 28, 2009, 2:47 PM

December 27, 2009

Montgomery's changing skyline: Bronner sure RSA Judicial Office Building will be a success

By Cosby Woodruff

The Retirement Systems of Alabama is changing Montgomery's skyline again with construction of a new office building above the old Alabama Supreme Court building.

Construction began about 18 months ago on a building that some historical preser­vationists tried to block but that RSA chief David Bron­ner was determined to see completed.

Bronner, who oversees the pension giant with build­ings that dominate Mont­gomery's skyline, brushed aside opposition to the proj­ect when it was announced a little more than two years ago. Even today he said the building he envisions is bet­ter than the alternative.

"You had two choices there," he said. "Either you could build something or you could just let it crumble."

Bronner said he remains convinced the building will eventually prove to be the right idea, but he also knows the timing was anything but perfect.

Even though RSA is not dependent on bank financ­ing to complete its projects, many tenants might find revenue tight when it is time to sign a deal. In general, commercial office space is not a booming business right now.

"It is a terrible time to have any new construction," he said.

That is another good rea­son for RSA's deep pockets. Private developers who have partially complete buildings must decide whether to put more money into the projects or walk away from money already invested.

Bronner said there was only one choice for his orga­nization.

"We are going to finish it," he said.

The building's impact on Montgomery's skyline, and whether it improves or dam­ages the view, depends on where the viewer is and his or her point of view.

Bronner insists the build­ing will fit in well with other buildings downtown and says from some angles it won't even be obvious there is a new structure. Historic preservationists railed against the building more for how it will fit into its sur­roundings than the fact it is being built above a historic structure.

"Any time you have a 12-story building, it is going to have some kind of effect," he said.

Renderings by RSA pub­lished in a brochure on the building show that parts of the original structure will be retained in the new build­ing.

RSA plans to maintain the courtroom for use by ten­ants, and a courtyard will make note of the building's past and some of the historic cases heard there.

There is no firm comple­tion date for the building. Bronner said he expects the exterior portions to be com­plete in the next year. RSA will finish the inside on a floor-by-floor basis as it finds tenants.

"You don't want to just put up a wall somewhere be­cause they might not want a wall there," he said.

Even in good economic times it is unusual to have a building completely rented when it opens. In the down economy, Bronner said it is even less likely to have a long list of tenants when it opens.

"It took us four years to fill up the (RSA) Tower," he said of Montgomery's tallest building.

When the RSA announced the building in late 2007, the estimated cost was $200 mil­lion. Bronner said he does not know what the final cost will be.

Joe Toole, a leasing execu­tive with RSA, said the building will have more than 340,000 square feet of space available for tenants. It will also have an attached parking deck to provide spaces for an estimated 1,000 people who will eventually work in the building. When complete, the building will be the eighth RSA office structure in Montgomery.

PHOTO GALLERY

Old Posted Dec 28, 2009, 3:47 PM
Witty comment fail

Had a nearly surreal weekend in Montgomery Saturday night. Was able to ship the kids off to different grandparents, and the wife and I were able to hit SaZa's. Sat in a bustling, modern Italian restaurant, in downtown and watched a horse drawn carriage drive by outside.... weird and nice all at once.

Sat at the 'chef's counter', and had a pretty good dinner too.

They've got to finish up all that work on Commerce though, it's clogging things up.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2009, 8:18 PM

So about the whole big building on Dexter Ave. thing

Basically I hear from one side "This doesn't matter" and from the other side "OMG THE WORLD IS ENDING BECAUSE OF THIS BUILDING."

Do we have any artists renderings that look STRAIGHT up and down Dexter Avenue? Without trying to make the thing look so prominent in the picture?

Is there a third-party commentary at all?

Old Posted Dec 29, 2009, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefficator View Post
Basically I hear from one side "This doesn't matter" and from the other side "OMG THE WORLD IS ENDING BECAUSE OF THIS BUILDING."

Do we have any artists renderings that look STRAIGHT up and down Dexter Avenue? Without trying to make the thing look so prominent in the picture?

Is there a third-party commentary at all?
old view:

future view:

Old Posted Dec 29, 2009, 9:43 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Of course, there are other renderings that have the building set further back from Dexter. When I was in MGM last, it almost seemed like the building was facing the opposite street. Of course it was dark, and we all know that renderings are all different.

That said, I have to say I LOVE how they have the glass wall in the front of the building, displaying the judicial building. I hope I'm not alone in that.

EDIT: Just looked at more actual pictures. Yep, it is that imposing...

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Last edited by SpawnOfVulcan; Dec 29, 2009 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Apparently I can't spell

Old Posted Dec 29, 2009, 10:04 PM

These are some 3d renderings that the Montgomery Advertiser had online and wrote about this past weekend.

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/...Ref=PH&Params=

Quote:
Of course, there are other renderings that have the building set further back from Dexter. When I was in MGM last, it almost seemed like the building was facing the opposite street. Of course it was dark, and we all know that renderings are all different.
It does right now, but when they start to construct the glass shell around the remaining building it will have more of a presence along Dexter. You can see how they haven't start that yet on picture 12 from the MA website.

Quote:
That said, I have to say I LOVE how they have the glass wall in the front of the building, displaying the judicial building. I hope I'm not alone in that.
I like it too...I think it's a very intriguing way to capture and maintain the historical aspects of the building while still allowing for needed expansion. Just hate that it's final version became so overwhelming.
"Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood and probably themselves will not be realized. Make big plans. Aim high in hope and work. Remembering that a noble, logical diagram once recorded will not die."

Old Posted Dec 30, 2009, 3:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoraudio View Post
Had a nearly surreal weekend in Montgomery Saturday night. Was able to ship the kids off to different grandparents, and the wife and I were able to hit SaZa's. Sat in a bustling, modern Italian restaurant, in downtown and watched a horse drawn carriage drive by outside.... weird and nice all at once.

Sat at the 'chef's counter', and had a pretty good dinner too.

They've got to finish up all that work on Commerce though, it's clogging things up.
My sister-in-law and her husband stay at the Renaissance over the weekend and they liked the development going on around the Alley. I believe they ate at Wintzell's.

And yes, I wish they could hurry up and finish the work along Commerce too.
Ongoing work on the new lofts and the rooftop bar is what I heard is the hold-up.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2009, 3:57 PM

Here's my problem with these pictures. They are all designed specifically to show the building as obtrusive. What about a view from Court Square looking straight down Dexter. How would that change?

Old Posted Dec 30, 2009, 4:50 PM
Closed account

That's because it is obtrusive!

Old Posted Dec 30, 2009, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefficator View Post
Here's my problem with these pictures. They are all designed specifically to show the building as obtrusive. What about a view from Court Square looking straight down Dexter. How would that change?
If you compare the photos OldCloverdale posted versus the images from the Montgomery Advertiser...the posted images seems fairly accurate. The only major difference is the rendering of the building.

Consider this...assuming the images that the Montgomery Advertiser published came from the architect or the RSA...is there a reason they don't include a human perspective from Court Square looking back down Dexter toward the Capitol? My guess is the reason that image is not included and that is because the building is that obtrusive. I'm sure whoever generated those renderings for the RSA also made the realistic perspective your talking about, but they are choosing not to show it.
"Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood and probably themselves will not be realized. Make big plans. Aim high in hope and work. Remembering that a noble, logical diagram once recorded will not die."

Old Posted Dec 30, 2009, 6:58 PM

The only pics I have seen are the ones that were published by the Montgomery Advertiser. Those images came from the perspectus put out by RSA or the Architect of which I have a copy. These images IMO are just designed to show the building, not Dexter Ave and I don't believe anyone is leaving out photos intentionally. I have never seen any images looking up Dexter from court square...well, except those by OldCloverdale. I think it will be a great building and can't wait until its finished.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast