HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 12:45 AM

Best location in your city

Best location in your city and why if money were no object.

Gatineau
It's not all that clear exactly what is the best location in Gatineau but I would say probably Wrightville. It isn't architecturally spectacular by any stretch of the imagination but as a pre-war suburb it certainly is more interesting than modern suburbia. It is not under development threat, like neighbouring island of Hull which has around 90% of the population as renters, therefore it is more established. It has a supermarket also unlike the island of Hull. Other ameneties within 10 min walk include elementary school, high school, hospital, shopping centre, smart centre, Gatineau park.

Lac des Fées, 15 min walk

http://mapio.net/pic/p-27635594/

Ottawa

To me 90 Georges always was the best location but perhaps a bit too central...

Montréal

Le Plateau-Mont-Royal, cliché, maybe, but it certainly derserve its reputation. I don't know where but I'm looking forward for the Prince-Arthur project.

Vancouver

West End?

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 2:48 AM
See ya down under, mates

Most SSPers will disagree with me but real estate prices don't - Ambleside or Dundarave beach, West Vancouver. I got as close as I could within my price range but it's still a 10 minute drive away. The area is incredibly peaceful and serene, yet it's still only 10 minutes from downtown when traffic isn't horrible, and the drive over Lions Gate bridge and down Georgia St is one of the most spectacular drives you can do IMO. Just as spectacular northbound with the mountain views too.

Video Link

Ambleside Beach by karenleephotography.biz, on Flickr

In this building, specifically. 800 sq foot condos starting at $4,655,000. Sigh

Main downside being it's infested with old people. But hey I'm turning 40 soon.

Last edited by Pinion; May 15, 2017 at 3:00 AM.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 3:59 AM

Cost no object I think I would still stay in Mt. Pleasant. Central to everywhere (that matters). Even on its own, the Main Street corridor offers almost everything you want in urban living.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 4:02 AM
recession proof

Toronto Island. 30 minutes from downtown but a world away from noise, pollution and traffic.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 4:35 AM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Cost no object I think I would still stay in Mt. Pleasant. Central to everywhere (that matters). Even on its own, the Main Street corridor offers almost everything you want in urban living.
Really? The ideal neighbourhood? I don't think it's very visually appealing, or very pleasant with so much cross-town traffic, or especially great for things like crime. I'd happily live there over most of the city though, don't get me wrong, but even down the street at Olympic Village would be more desirable IMO.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 4:45 AM

I actually got to side with Pinion.

Even as a child I thought that area of Metro-Van would be a great place to live.

Other locations I would love to live (for various different reasons) is the West End right next to English Bay, New Westminster close to the Skytrain, White Rock on the bluff, and Kits.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 5:07 AM

Well, like I said, it's central to everything - beaches, Granville Island, Commercial Dr. etc. The residential area around City Hall is as nice as you could expect, with some fantastic old houses.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 6:38 AM

Yeah I agree with Logan, no question I would take Mt. Pleasant over the North Shore mainly because of its proximity to better food, beer, culture, etc.. Ideally though, for Vancouver, I'd probably choose the Riley Park stretch of Main or around Victoria just north of 1st.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 10:32 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

My favourite would be lower Victoria Street.

It's downtown but far enough away from George Street to be out of earshot except on the busiest nights. It's close to everything - especially the Grand Concourse (trails), LSPU Hall (theatre/performing arts/comedy/local films), The Ship (live music), and all of the amenities of downtown. The street is a dead-end as it turns into a small park and staircase down to Duckworth Street, so you have no through-traffic (which tends to be obnoxiously loud here, probably due to the lack of trees out front; if I'm sitting inside with the window open watching TV on a summer day, even one car driving by completely drowns out the sound of the TV until it passes). You're in a great location for getting around without your car or feet sliding out from under you in winter - the "switchback" way of getting out of downtown isn't inconvenient from that location. If you have kids, you're in the catchment area for the best public schools, and the best private one is close. Also, there's a range of housing quality - from say $350K to $950K.

The pink one would be the ideal for me. Perfect house, perfect location.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 12:46 PM
Moran supreme

Quite a loaded question and an answer really depends on one's wants and needs. If money were no object, I would remain exactly where I currently reside. Several reasons including we've been there over 20 years in e same home and most of our neighbors within a one block radius have been in their homes for the past fifteen years or more which has resulted in a really great community feel and one doesn't just recreate that over night.

Yeah, the houses are not mansions and it's not the fanciest area but all three levels of schooling are within three blocks, and outdoor swimming pool, outdoor ice rink and the community center are within two blocks plus a number of small privately run restaurants and businesses are also within a five minute walk. Access to one of Calgary's most wonderful parks is just three blocks away as well and downtown and the airport are less than a fifteen minute drive away.

I really think the best location is dependant on where you are in your life and what you're seeking. Sure there are many very nice areas in Calgary but I would not give up my great neighbourhood for them - we've watched our neighbor's and ourselves have families and starting to grey a bit. Our annual summer block party is now in it's twentieth year as well and is now something that our community association plans it's calendar around so as to not create a conflict.

If this same question had been posed to me some seventeen years or so ago, I would have most likely had a different answer but time and wonderful neighbors changes the equation quit a bit.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 12:55 PM

Best location for what, a home?

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 1:20 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Anyone for Whalley?

"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 1:22 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGrandeOurse View Post
Best location in your city and why if money were no object.

Gatineau
It's not all that clear exactly what is the best location in Gatineau but I would say probably Wrightville. It isn't architecturally spectacular by any stretch of the imagination but as a pre-war suburb it certainly is more interesting than modern suburbia. It is not under development threat, like neighbouring island of Hull which has around 90% of the population as renters, therefore it is more established. It has a supermarket also unlike the island of Hull. Other ameneties within 10 min walk include elementary school, high school, hospital, shopping centre, smart centre, Gatineau park.
Gatineau doesn't have the greatest choices on this one but Wrightville would have been my pick as well. For the same reasons as you.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 1:25 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGrandeOurse View Post

Ottawa

To me 90 Georges always was the best location but perhaps a bit too central...
90 George St. would be too noisy, and also has quite a bit of vagrancy and petty crime in the vicinity.

Somewhere in the area of Elgin St. (Golden Triangle) is probably the "best" location in Ottawa.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 2:13 PM

I would never live in the heart of the Byward market, it can feel uncomfortable there at night sometimes. Also as Acajack pointed out, it is noisy and traffic is constantly bad. (the constant presence of transport trucks transiting on King Edward/Waller/Daly makes this place a nightmare around rush hour)

My favourite location (as to where I would live) is the vicinity of Strathcona Park in Sandy Hill. Quite urban, yet there is a lot of greenry and a park adjacent to the river. I like the stock of old houses in the area as well.

Last edited by le calmar; May 15, 2017 at 2:29 PM.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 2:27 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post

My favourite location (as to where I would live) is the vicinity of Strathcona Park in Sandy Hill. Quite urban, yet there is a lot of greenry and a park adjacent to the river. I like the stock of old houses in the area as well.
It's a very nice area for sure, though the main neighbourhood street in the area, Rideau, is quite unappealling in that stretch. (Though this is changing and won't likely be the case within a few years.)

The secondary main street in the area, Laurier, is a bit boring too with not much there.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 2:28 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I would never live in the heart of the Byward market, it can feel comfortable there at night sometimes. Also as Acajack pointed out, it is noisy and traffic is constantly bad. (the constant presence of transport trucks transiting on King Edward/Waller/Daly makes this place a nightmare around rush hour)

Uncomfortable, n'est-ce pas?

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Uncomfortable, n'est-ce pas?
En effet! And you are right about that specific stretch of Rideau not being so nice. Not much going on on Laurier either. But you are still within close proximity to many services and commercial outlets (including the Rideau Centre, not so far away)

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 3:15 PM

For me, I think my "best location" in the city is the 0-50 block of Circular road (ie. the Bannerman Park stretch). Street is lined with old, detached homes, and the few newer builds are respectful of the neighbourhood and older style. The street is lined with mature maples, and Bannerman Park backs right onto the street. You're right next to Military Road, so you have quick access to public transportation, and you're a quick walk from downtown without all the downtown noise. Just moments away are historic buildings such as Government House and the Colonial Building, yet also very close to modern amenities (tennis club is right behind the street, Memorial Stadium Dominion supermarket and Quidi Vidi Lake are right at the end of the street). Homes are expensive (pushing a million at the height of oil boom), but the poor economy and changing housing market are making it more affordable; an old historic home just sold for about $425,000.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 3:31 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
En effet! And you are right about that specific stretch of Rideau not being so nice. Not much going on on Laurier either. But you are still within close proximity to many services and commercial outlets (including the Rideau Centre, not so far away)
I once lived a few blocks west of there, and it was nice but not as convenient as one might think.

Rideau St. kinda sucked back then as a neighbourhood main street and I go there often enough still to know it hasn't improved signficantly - yet.

My wife wasn't really super-comfortable walking to and along Rideau and this was the case for a lot of female neighbours.

Most people in our building (a middle class demographic) actually drove to the grocery stores: Loblaws at Rideau and Nelson, or Loeb/IGA (now Metro) at Rideau and King Edward.

Most also drove to Rideau Centre on evenings and weekends unless they stopped off there via transit on their way home from work.

I'd say areas like the Glebe, New Edinburgh and Westboro offer better and nicer neighbourhood amenities on their main streets (Bank, Beechwood and Wellington).

Of course they are some distance from Rideau Centre and the Market but as I mentioned a lot of people in Sandy Hill will drive the 1-2 km to go there anyway.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada