HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 30, 2015, 7:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetsDept View Post

Hey guys!

Had the incredible opportunity to go to the top of the Comcast Center last night, and I took a ton of photos as the sun set. Thought that might be of interest to some of y'all!

Check out all the photos on my blog here: http://streetsdept.com/2015/12/29/th...omcast-center/
Beautiful pics, StreetsDept. Thanks for sharing!
Welcome to the forum.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2015, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
I love the other two points, but I can't see Brandywine staking $100s of millions on Chemours, a spin-off legally engineered to shield the rest of DuPont assets from billions in potential environmental liabilities. I mean is seems like that entity is designed to fail. It'd be like wooing an AIG HQ after the 2008 collapse.

Now, this GE idea is fascinating. I wonder if any other tech giants are looking at University City?
GE is interesting. One other huge company that's been in the back of my mind for a while is HSBC, which is ready to leave London and looking at the US for new headquarters. Obviously New York would be first and most obvious, but why not have Philadelphia throw its hat into the ring? In NYC, they'd be just another player. In Philly, they'd rule the roost. Not very likely, but hey, you can't win if you don't play!

Old Posted Dec 30, 2015, 2:00 PM
More of that.

My bet is still on Vanguard moving into the city, realizing that's where the talent wants to live.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2015, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Scale View Post
My bet is still on Vanguard moving into the city, realizing that's where the talent wants to live.
That's an interesting thought too. I personally, and I think most would agree, would like an outside company to move in. Not just a reshuffling of the deck in SE PA.

Those pictures are epic too Streetsdept. Thank you for sharing.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2015, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
That's an interesting thought too. I personally, and I think most would agree, would like an outside company to move in. Not just a reshuffling of the deck in SE PA.

Those pictures are epic too Streetsdept. Thank you for sharing.
Of course we'd rather see large companies move from elsewhere, but getting Vanguard to move to the city would also be HUGE. It would bring with it tons of new residents and tax dollars. I know several people who work at Vanguard that would prefer to live in the city but are not willing to take on the commute.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2015, 3:46 PM

If Vanguard moved in, a lot of regional companies would probably follow. That would be a giant move. It would really put the Center City / UC on the map in a way that it hasn't been for many, many years. It would be a real statement.

On the other hand, most of the folks I've met from Vanguard (not too many, TBH, and mostly in the 40s age range) seem to be wholly "suburban" in mentality.

Plus I kind of sense that Jack Bogle, bless his upstanding soul, is the kind of guy who just doesn't like corrupt, gritty (and costly) cities like Philly that much.

But, beyond a major Amazon or Google-like presence, I can't think of a better outcome for the city than getting Vanguard down here.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2015, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
If Vanguard moved in, a lot of regional companies would probably follow. That would be a giant move. It would really put the Center City / UC on the map in a way that it hasn't been for many, many years. It would be a real statement.

On the other hand, most of the folks I've met from Vanguard (not too many, TBH, and mostly in the 40s age range) seem to be wholly "suburban" in mentality.

Plus I kind of sense that Jack Bogle, bless his upstanding soul, is the kind of guy who just doesn't like corrupt, gritty (and costly) cities like Philly that much.

But, beyond a major Amazon or Google-like presence, I can't think of a better outcome for the city than getting Vanguard down here.
It's all anecdotal but the people I know at Vanguard are in their 20's and 30's and would much prefer that it move to the city.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2015, 5:04 PM

A trend

Wow the GE speculation really got me thinking about the domino effect Philadelphia would have if the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania (#1) and the city (#2) could modify the corporate tax structure. The cost savings would be quite alluring and also geographically satisfying for some major corporate players to put Philadelphia back on the map of potential places to set up shop. Once we have another MAJOR corporate presence (especially more tech/innovation focused) I think we will create a business synergy in this city that will be unfathomable.

We have the #3 and arguably #1 best business school in the world and nation respectively, not to mention other top educational programs in other fields. All the talent is here, once we have the jobs to retain them, the renaissance we all are seeing now, will appear as pocket change, for what is to come for this city.

I have said for some time, once the new Comcast Tower is built we move into Philadelphia 2.0. Philadelphia 1.0 (2000 - present) set the foundation to make the city attractive again for residents by investing in amenities (arts, parks, transit, infrastructure, safety) that thereby attracted investment for residents (housing, restaurants, nightlife, retail, etc.) Once Philadelphia 2.0 arrives, all the cards will be in place to start attracting jobs, and once that happens, this region and the city will fulfill its potential to be THE top city in the nation.

The momentum is there, and I have to say, now is an exciting time to be living in this great city. I can not think of anywhere else I rather be.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2015, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ePlanningPhila View Post

I have said for some time, once the new Comcast Tower is built we move into Philadelphia 2.0. Philadelphia 1.0 (2000 - present) set the foundation to make the city attractive again for residents by investing in amenities (arts, parks, transit, infrastructure, safety) that thereby attracted investment for residents (housing, restaurants, nightlife, retail, etc.) Once Philadelphia 2.0 arrives, all the cards will be in place to start attracting jobs, and once that happens, this region and the city will fulfill its potential to be THE top city in the nation.
If 2000 to present is Philadelphia 1.0, what was 1682 to 1999? That's over 200 years of Philadelphia erased.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2015, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetsDept View Post

Hey guys!

Had the incredible opportunity to go to the top of the Comcast Center last night, and I took a ton of photos as the sun set. Thought that might be of interest to some of y'all!

Check out all the photos on my blog here: http://streetsdept.com/2015/12/29/th...omcast-center/
Superb pics! Thank you sir!

Old Posted Dec 30, 2015, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by br323206 View Post
If 2000 to present is Philadelphia 1.0, what was 1682 to 1999? That's over 200 years of Philadelphia erased.
Eh, just think of it as 200+ years of beta testing.

It always takes a little while to work out the bugs; just ask Microsoft!

Old Posted Dec 30, 2015, 11:43 PM

Over 300* but who's counting ha

Old Posted Dec 30, 2015, 11:48 PM

For Brandywine ... I think everyone is getting ahead of themselves. It's a possibility they have Chemours ready to sign on the dotted line but to liquidate the cash cow that was with the IRS building would be a huge risk. I'm thinking Drexel and Brandywine are getting ready to announce the private partnership of the technology neighborhood. A friend mentioned Drexel wants quite a financial partner in the project.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2015, 11:49 PM

If we're playing the speculation game, let's hope the top-secret Brandywine project is a Liberty Place scaled project at 8th and Market with GE occupying a ton of space, a hotel, retail, and a redeveloped 8th Street Station. That could explain their "hedging on the future" purchase of the garage at 6th and Market. One can only dream

Old Posted Dec 30, 2015, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Superb pics! Thank you sir!
Streets...Great pictures. Is it true there is a billy penn statue on the roof ?

Old Posted Dec 31, 2015, 12:55 AM
More of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPenn18 View Post
If we're playing the speculation game, let's hope the top-secret Brandywine project is a Liberty Place scaled project at 8th and Market with GE occupying a ton of space, a hotel, retail, and a redeveloped 8th Street Station. That could explain their "hedging on the future" purchase of the garage at 6th and Market. One can only dream
I'm gonna say they're reviving American Commerce Center and it's crystalline form to go with their crystalline neighborhood across the river. At 1500 ft. it far surpasses CITC and makes BRT big dog instead of LPT. There is a lot that matches 1800 Arch at 30th and Chestnut.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2015, 1:28 AM
Φιλαδέλφεια

If we're fantasizing, then how about a 1,200 footer across the river in Camden!?

Then the tallest building in the downtown area would be in Jersey!

Man we are dorks!

Old Posted Dec 31, 2015, 1:38 AM

So is it official that there is plans for a big project soon?

Old Posted Dec 31, 2015, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontst17 View Post
Over 300* but who's counting ha
Haha yea typo. I promise I know how to count.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2015, 5:41 PM
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtut View Post
Intuitively I'm thinking GE.GE rejected Atlanta and Dallas , they want to remain in the N.E. and are very serious about leaving Connecticut .
I hope you are correct that Philadelphia is being considered, but there is no mention of Philadelphia or Pennsylvania.

http://www.courant.com/politics/capi...123-story.html

http://www.wsj.com/articles/ge-nears...ers-1441931084

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations