HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Asia-Pacific > Hong Kong

Old Posted Jul 7, 2008, 10:03 AM
Hong Kong

Sham Shui Po District

Situated at the northwestern part of the Kowloon Peninsula, Sham Shui Po District covers an area of about 1047 hectares, with a population of about 353,000. Today's Sham Shui Po District is covered mainly by residential buildings, with public housing estates built on approximately 81 hectares of land. Factories and warehouses are still being concentrated mainly in Cheung Sha Wan.

The District is most heavily poverty stricken, having the lowest median monthly domestic household income ($14,000). It has the highest percentage of elderly over 65 years (15.7%). The percentage of new arrivals is also very high (11.2%).

Apliu Street is a pedestrian-only market specializing in second-hand electronics equipment. All the street signs in Hong Kong were recently changed with numbers on them now.

There are other clothing markets in neighboring streets.

A non-air-conditioned bus passed by and I decided not to get on. It was quite a hot day so I patiently waited at the stop for the next one. In the meantime, I snapped these pictures. It's hard to believe people are still living in these conditions. The street is noisy with so many buses rumbling by day and night.

Like the rest of Hong Kong, there are always new skyscrapers popping up out of nowhere.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2008, 5:12 PM
Hong Kong

Old Posted Feb 11, 2009, 11:58 PM
Transport Planner

Most of those flats would be fine if they hadn't been neglected. It's a real shame.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Asia-Pacific > Hong Kong