HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Middle East & Africa

Old Posted Mar 20, 2007, 12:26 AM
BANNED

Anyone experienced 50 deg C ( 122 deg F) ?

Just curious if anyone here has experienced 50 deg C ( 122 deg F ) outdoors. What is that heat like? Does it feel like your pants are burning and shoes are frying? Describe that level of heat. Do you constantly need a shower? Does the wind burn your face?

Is it hot at night too?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2007, 12:58 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

I've experienced 117 degrees F with low humidity. Most of all, I find that kind of heat draining. It saps my energy and makes me feel drowsy.

With a dry heat that high, one doesn't necessarily feel hot or thirsty--but one is indeed hot and rapidly dehydrating, even without noticing "sweating" because the moisture evaporates immediately off one's body at elevated temperatures and low humidities.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2007, 3:58 AM

I can say I've experienced 120+ (don't know/remember exactly the temp. was but know that it was above 120 because it broke the all-time record) in Phoenix Arizona in 1995.

After 110, they all feel the same to me: HOT!!

Definitely felt like an oven and you just want to get out of it as soon as you can.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 1:32 PM

I have experienced around 45-46 degree centigrade with high humidity. The heat just drains you off and you wont be able to stand in that heat for more than 15 minutes.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 5:58 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

It sucks, it's like a physical force when you step outside into it. You don't even sweat, unless you are wearing layers and then you can drench yourself. After which it quickly evaporates off of your clothing leaving ring after ring of salt stains.

You also have to wear gloves when handling most objects as you can blister your hands. Some objects can get as hot as 150 F.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 10:19 PM
Lowe's

Highest air temp was 45.5C/114F... so hot... Out on the flight deck of my first ship behind one of the jet blast deflectors I recorded 65.5C/150F before i had to close my eyes.... An F-14 was in full afterburner on the other side and it was gettign hotter...

Old Posted Mar 23, 2007, 2:15 AM

Just the thought of it makes me wonder what it'd be like. Death Valley in July/August here I come.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2007, 3:00 AM

You don't have to go there just to know how it feels like.

Just stay inside a car that's in the sun and shut all the windows.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2007, 6:18 AM

It's been 122-123 at my house in Vegas, which is typically 5 degrees hotter in the summer than at the airport where the official records (117) are taken.

If you want to feel what it's like, just stick your head in an oven. The only way to deal with it is to stay indoors and blast the AC untill the sun goes down. Here you have to let your car cool down as opposed to letting it warm up, and you have to be careful because you can burn your hand on any metal object that is sitting in the sun.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2007, 12:55 AM
Coffee Ambassador

When I was in Kuwait there was a day it got so hot that the military airport closed and we had an airborne training operation canceled. What we were told was that the plane couldn't generate enough lift to safely takeoff.

Don't know if that was true, but what I remember was an extraordinary heat. I don't remember sweating at all that September. Hotter than my entire year I lived in Phoenix. Kuwait has a suprising humidity.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2007, 3:32 AM

closest I have been was being in 50c heat index. Lower hundreds in the humid US south rises the heat index much higher than the actual temperatures.

Last edited by austin356; Mar 26, 2007 at 3:44 AM.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2007, 7:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtown420 View Post
Here you have to let your car cool down as opposed to letting it warm up, and you have to be careful because you can burn your hand on any metal object that is sitting in the sun.
i do that frequently...it sucks

Old Posted Mar 26, 2007, 8:01 AM
Guess Who's Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
I've experienced 117 degrees F with low humidity. Most of all, I find that kind of heat draining. It saps my energy and makes me feel drowsy.

With a dry heat that high, one doesn't necessarily feel hot or thirsty--but one is indeed hot and rapidly dehydrating, even without noticing "sweating" because the moisture evaporates immediately off one's body at elevated temperatures and low humidities.
fflint, is this not a topic for the skybar, rather than ME&A construction updates?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 1:38 AM
skeetskeetskeet

i cant imagine having to live in that kind of heat all the time. 90s miami humidity was bad enough.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 8:47 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

I've endured low 40's at Drumheller. That was overwhelming. 50? Get me out of there when that happens. I'd rather endure -50 than +50.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 10:43 PM
skeetskeetskeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
I've endured low 40's at Drumheller. That was overwhelming. 50? Get me out of there when that happens. I'd rather endure -50 than +50.
thats true. you can only take off so many layers...you can always pile more on.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 2:07 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sky View Post
thats true. you can only take off so many layers...you can always pile more on.
Or just dig youself a little hole in the snow and huddle.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2007, 4:56 AM
skeetskeetskeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
Or just dig youself a little hole in the snow and huddle.
yeh, id rather than any day over that kind of heat. im sure you acclimate eventually though.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 9:48 PM
Guess Who's Back?

I once span 360 degrees in my car! Does that count?
I was all hot and bothered when I got out!

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 10:04 PM

I've never been further south than Tijuana in the winter and the hottest i've ever felt was approx 105 in Reading, PA some time ago. I was maybe 10 years old but I have a vivid memory of the entire day and the places I had been.

edit: i was in northern australia but it was about 65-75.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Middle East & Africa