HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 29, 2015, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
That Assumption lot is across the street from a block of lofts just like sexton, but I think they'd only lose a view of the train tracks. Some people might lose their view of Merch, and if so I'll hear about it.
I believe, actually, it is just apartments across the street. It's the almost full block development with continuously failing retail on all sides. That and Gene and Georgettis.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2015, 1:15 PM

400 W Huron got its foundation new construction building permit yesterday issued. That will be the 3rd essentially ultra luxury high rise in the near north side under construction at the same time along with 4 E Elm and No. 9 Walton.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2015, 7:21 PM
TL;DR

Good news about Assumption Church.

I hope the architects are designing with a mind toward preserving natural light to the church. Those stained glass windows just aren't the same without daylight coming through them.

Before you accuse me of being a NIMBY, I'm all in favor of the tower but I'd like to see a respectful design that complements and plays off the church.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2015, 7:47 PM
MPLSXCHI

Well thankfully John Buck is developing and he usually hires some good architects.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2015, 8:48 PM

Oh nice. Glad it's a big name project. The site's a little awkward, but if they do something nice there maybe it will give people confidence to build next to the L on Wabash in the loop.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2015, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
400 W Huron got its foundation new construction building permit yesterday issued. That will be the 3rd essentially ultra luxury high rise in the near north side under construction at the same time along with 4 E Elm and No. 9 Walton.
That is mind bending. That will make the following projects under construction along the Chicago Ave corridor (two blocks north or south):

- HoJo Tower
- No. 9 Walton
- Antunafish Drive Thru Palace
- Fifield's NoCa/Next/K3
- Hudson Tower

There's more on the way up and down Wells as well. I'm not sure we even saw that kind of construction density in the last boom.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2015, 7:21 PM
TL;DR

^ Plus the Smithfield tower at Chicago/Wells, the VOA-designed tower at Chicago/Cambridge, and the Bush Temple renovation.

Also Related's Strata project on Larrabee/Kingsbury, which is unfortunately a big anti-urban, retail-free 'f*ck you' to that bustling block.

I'm looking forward to the Orleans St corridor being built out densely linking River North to Old Town. It's pretty desolate right now.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 12:35 AM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post

Also, demolition permit for one-story building(s) at 400-410 W. Huron has been issued, and a tower crane permit for 400 Huron has been issued as well....

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 12:37 AM
you know where I'll be

River North Construction Frenzy

Speaking of projects underway or about to be so in River North, does anyone know where the old Geno's East is in its demolition? It seemed as if that project was all set up to get underway this month, but is there some sort of delay there?

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 1:49 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
The tower crane base has shown up at Hojo Tower, its a red one. Wonder if they just shipped it over from Wolf Point West?

by me

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 4:05 AM
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Speaking of projects underway or about to be so in River North, does anyone know where the old Geno's East is in its demolition? It seemed as if that project was all set up to get underway this month, but is there some sort of delay there?
August 21, 2015

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 4:11 AM

Eventhough theres sev developments planned for river north, many of them are sort of short...the tallest being only 400 feet, would be nice have some some 500 or taller

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
All the river northers who think there's never enough parking anywhere should go live in that building^
No way the south loop doesn't want or need any river north nimbys.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 3:50 PM
you know where I'll be

^ Not only that, but let's put some numbers to this: 1001 S State has 248 parking spaces and 397 units. This may still be too much parking, but is this ratio in any way out of line with new apartment towers in River North, Streeterville, West Loop, elsewhere in South Loop, etc? It's not obvious to me that it is.......

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 3:53 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarWind View Post
August 21, 2015

Thanks........so they have indeed removed the pepperoni from one of the slices? Well, that's a start, I suppose.......

In all seriousness though, am I imagining that a demo permit was issued, and they had scaffolding or something up previously that appeared to be for the demo?? Did they take that down, or am I making it up? Or, was that for something else??.....

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 4:00 PM

Quote:
^ Not only that, but let's put some numbers to this: 1001 S State has 248 parking spaces and 397 units. This may still be too much parking, but is this ratio in any way out of line with new apartment towers in River North, Streeterville, West Loop, elsewhere in South Loop, etc? It's not obvious to me that it is.......
Maybe the design of the base makes it seem like more than it is. Also, I brought this up before but I couldn't find a source, but I'm fairly sure I heard about an arrangement in the land sale that said the building has to replace the parking spaces that the city used when it was their parking lot. That might only be 20 or so spaces though.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Thanks........so they have indeed removed the pepperoni from one of the slices? Well, that's a start, I suppose.......

In all seriousness though, am I imagining that a demo permit was issued, and they had scaffolding or something up previously that appeared to be for the demo?? Did they take that down, or am I making it up? Or, was that for something else??.....
I imagine Magellan, being wise beyond their years (though not really since the Low-end-burgs have been building here for literally generations), wants to keep the construction cycles of their towers as offset as possible to minimize cannibalization of their own project and risk. That's really what is impressive about this boom. The growth has been very consistent and people seem to calculate before just throwing another log on the fire. Things are getting frothy along Chicago Ave, but given the low land prices (some lots are selling for less than $200/SF) the developers probably have a good margin built into these projects.

Back to the point at hand, if I were Magellan I would want delivery of Gino's to follow about 6 months behind delivery of Hojo which means a fall start. I wouldn't want units at one tower competing while I'm still trying to lease up the other.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 4:13 PM
MPLSXCHI

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchymunch View Post
Well the land sold to the developer, doesn't necessarily mean its a go. Need to secure funding and zoning first. This is one of the projects I'm most excited about right now to be honest. Congress expressway needs to be lined with towers just like the Kennedy. Then we can start working on lining the Dan Ryan with them.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchymunch View Post
That first story about 601 S. LaSalle St. is interesting too, to me at least. That building is a real peach but it basically disappears right now because it's sandwiched between a Metra overpass and that god awful parking garage at Clark/Harrison. With that parking garage hopefully turning into that Rocz[Polish name]ak building. With a less eyesorey neighbor, 601 might start to stand out. If some pedestrian life can get pumped along Harrison (likely once that River South stuff starts happening), that building will be in a prime spot. Apartments/condos seems obvious, but I'd like to see someone make a solid push for commercial. I don't think the South Loop will ever come alive until there's people there during the day.

Interesting that it was CA Ventures was holding on to the building, though. I wonder if they had their eyes on making student lofts out of it. Wouldn't be a tough sell, since there's already student lofts on the same block. I guess they couldn't make the numbers work.

Bruce Rauner's Chicago campaign office was in that building's storefront, btw. I used to see his giant face on the side of a bus turning down LaSalle all the time.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations