HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 12:39 AM

BC Ferries, TransLink operations to face review to ensure objectives being met

Quote:
Massive TransLink, BC Ferries review to include board and exec pay

By Kelly Sinoski, Vancouver Sun
July 28, 2009

The province is launching a review of TransLink and BC Ferries, Finance Minister Colin Hansen and Transportation and Infrastructure Minister Shirley Bond announced today.

The review of the publicly funded and independently regulated transportation authorities, requested by Bond, is aimed at ensuring customers and ratepayers are receiving maximum value for services, a provincial government statement said.

"During these challenging economic times, we must ensure that services provided to ratepayers are done so in a way that is financially sustainable and provides maximum value for all British Columbians," Hansen said in a statement.

"Both BC Ferries and TransLink have been mandated to provide vital transportation services for millions of people, and we must ensure the governance arrangements are operating as efficiently as possible and the authorities are meeting their service objectives."

Comptroller general Cheryl Wenezenki-Yolland will conduct the reviews of both companies.

The reviews, to be completed by Sept. 30, will look at all aspects of the operations, from regulatory environment to corporate structure to financial performance.

A final report containing recommendations will then be made public.

Bond noted it's been six years since BC Ferries became a private operation, and two years since TransLink's governance model was revised. "It is important we ensure both organizations are meeting their financial and service expectations that came about with the new models," she said.

The review will specifically look at the division of responsibility between the province and the respective entities; the size, composition, appointment process and compensation for the board of directors and the regulatory environment, including responsibilities, authorities and powers of the Ferry Commission as well as the regional transportation commissioner and Mayors' Council on Regional Transportation; and operating costs and service delivery models.
© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun
http://www.vancouversun.com/Massive+...265/story.html

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 2:13 AM
Transit User

That's a good start. How much further do the rates need to go up? Cut the fat from executive level all the way down.

Last edited by WBC; Jul 29, 2009 at 2:24 AM.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 2:17 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Good. And maybe TransLink can cut their own costs while maintaining services instead of crying out for more money.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 2:23 AM

*kill the unions*cough*kill the unions*cough*

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 2:32 AM
Transit User

Does anybody have any kind of estimate of Translink's efficiency? Like cost per passanger per km? or something similar to that? and of course comparison to other places in Canada, US and Europe?

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 2:39 AM

Kill the unions? Why yes, because the average person having benefits and making a decent wage is the problem. If there were no unions, life would be perfect. Hey, we'd still have child labour and working only 40 hours per week would be considered an unrealistic dream.

Let's face it, all unions are just evil. Only management and owners should have any say in what the "rest of us" deserve. Here, here.

Seriously though:

Is any one side of any story or struggle perfect? No.

Is getting rid of one side of a balancing force the way to create balance? No.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 2:50 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x View Post
*kill the unions*cough*kill the unions*cough*
how about we kill the exec wages.... if not SOMEONE looks tempting

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 2:52 AM
BANNED

btw i might add that inhouse operation/maintainance by skytrain was much cheaper than privitizing it..... i belive it was the underhill report

btw... the truth will comeout with the Canada Line....

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravman View Post
btw i might add that inhouse operation/maintainance by skytrain was much cheaper than privitizing it..... i belive it was the underhill report

btw... the truth will comeout with the Canada Line....
Yes, it would be cheaper but only marginally.

The truth? We've discussed the truth here in this forum at least a hundred times by now over the last 5 years. It's almost as if you completely ignored our debates, or rather cherry picked the ones that are "scandalous" - ignoring our explanations - for your own polarized political interests.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 3:07 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Yes, it would be cheaper but only marginally.
cheaper while the employees are getting a decent wage...

your ideal plan gives the execs the high wages while giving the front line workers nothing

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 2:57 AM

Quote:
how about we kill the exec wages.... if not SOMEONE looks tempting
That's the price you pay for professionals to work in Translink: accountants, successful businessmen - people with experience. Not just anyone that gets elected and who could potentially only have a high school diploma.

I'd be willing to pay even more for execs if we could get hire people from London Underground, Hong Kong MTR, and Hong Kong CityBus.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 3:08 AM
BANNED

Quote:
That's the price you pay for professionals to work in Translink: accountants, successful businessmen - people with experience. Not just anyone that gets elected and who could potentially only have a high school diploma.

I'd be willing to pay even more for execs if we could get hire people from London Underground, Hong Kong MTR, and Hong Kong CityBus.
how would you pay for it? bring in a regressive tax?

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 1:38 PM

Quote:

I'd like to see what Ken Hardie and friends are paid compared to their international counterparts. In fact, a total expense breakdown of Translink would be very interesting.

I'm all for paying top dollar for the best talent (preferably through incentive plans), and I don't mind that bus drivers and whatnot get decent wages, but there's simply not enough transparency at Translink.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 2:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambrother808 View Post
Kill the unions? Why yes, because the average person having benefits and making a decent wage is the problem. If there were no unions, life would be perfect. Hey, we'd still have child labour and working only 40 hours per week would be considered an unrealistic dream.

Let's face it, all unions are just evil. Only management and owners should have any say in what the "rest of us" deserve. Here, here.

Seriously though:

Is any one side of any story or struggle perfect? No.

Is getting rid of one side of a balancing force the way to create balance? No.
I was being a little sarcastic.

But really though, unions were great when they first started and revolutionized workers' rights. Today, they're just downright abusive of their powers. They are extortionists. What happened to higher wages in accordance to work performance?

I'm all for unions, but public unions these days are just far too powerful for the public's own good. You have the BCTF thinking they can dictate how kids are taught and evaluated because "the teachers voted on it" against the policies of the Ministry of Education.

Limit vacation days. Limit flex days.

At the end of the day, it is the taxpayer that pays for these higher wages but it doesn't result in better results. We should expect the same just like public expenditures on capital infrastructure projects.

I'm quite sure unions are increasing Translink's human resources costs quite a bit, and it also comes at the price of the customer service we see on buses and trains.

Perhaps one reason why I really like the Canada Line payment plan is that it's all based on the quality of service provided. InTransitBC's annual pay cheque depends on the frequency, reliability, maintenance, and cleanliness of stations and facilities of the Canada Line. And in turn, without union interference, the Canada Line employees can earn raises based on their work performance (e.g. clean facilities).

There needs to be a balance between workers' rights and public interests. I could care less about private unions like the one for Safeway employees.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 3:05 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I'm all for unions, but public unions these days are just far too powerful for the public's own good. You have the BCTF thinking they can dictate how kids are taught and evaluated because "the teachers voted on it" against the policies of the Ministry of Education.
U are never for UNIONS.... tell the truth and not the usual BS

regarding the FSA exams... do your research..... the fact is clear.... the Fraser Institute and Canwest Global are using this to promote independent schools while ignoring schools like roosevelt park in Prince Rupert ( BC's worst school)

You went to a private school.... you have no right to complain about education especially when the govt is cutting funding.... these kids are entering school unable to tell the difference between an apple and a banana

The globe and mail has a article or a cbc documentary
www.educ.sfu.ca/documents/BC_School.pdf
http://www.cbc.ca/aboriginal/2007/07...rupert_school/

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 3:11 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Not so sure about that. Do you know what Mr. X works for?

Quote:
regarding the FSA exams... do your research..... the fact is clear.... the Fraser Institute and Canwest Global are using this to promote independent schools while ignoring schools like roosevelt park in Prince Rupert ( BC's worst school)

You went to a private school.... you have no right to complain about education especially when the govt is cutting funding.... these kids are entering school unable to tell the difference between an apple and a banana

Hmmm... this is totally related to our discussion here.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 3:44 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Does anyone beleive that if there were no public unions that the government would be hiring children and having them work 60hrs/wk for less then min wage?
The truth is government jobs pay pretty well have good benefits and great job security compared to the private sector, that would not change if they didn't have unions.
In the private sector for the most part you have a choice whether you join a union outfit or not, if you want to work for the government that choice is taken away from you.

Anyways back onto the topic at hand, I'm glad they are doing a review, they should continue and do a review every year. Both companies can trim a little fat and now that they are non-political they should take advantage and make some tough unpopular decisions that the previous regime couldn't make w/o paying politically.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
Does anyone beleive that if there were no public unions that the government would be hiring children and having them work 60hrs/wk for less then min wage?
The truth is government jobs pay pretty well have good benefits and great job security compared to the private sector, that would not change if they didn't have unions.
In the private sector for the most part you have a choice whether you join a union outfit or not, if you want to work for the government that choice is taken away from you.
Well, I should point out that although I think the BCTF and the Nurses' Union are among the worst offenders, it was still the Liberal government that came in and tore up existing contracts. I find that to be equally despicable. Nobody can claim the moral high ground in that situation.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 3:26 AM

Quote:

Maybe you should be the one that should stop with the B.S.

I'm all for unions, their purpose of protecting workers' labour rights. I'm simply vehemently against unions being extortionists [by striking] to get their members ridiculous pay and benefits for jobs they do...all at the cost of the taxpayer.

And I'm quite glad I had the opportunity to go to a private school rather than the mess that are public schools.

Setting education policy is the responsibility of the Ministry of Education, which is run by our elected government. Any employee (teacher) who refuses to administer an exam required by the Ministry should have been fired without recourse.

The union, in its self-serving hunt for power, is trying to appoint itself to the role of elected officials. If any teacher wants to change education policy they are welcome to lobby their school board and MLA, run for school board, etc. refusing to do their job as dictated by their employer is simply unacceptable.

Union boycotts and refusal to do your job as directed by your employer do not fall within that realm. At the end of the day, you are employed by a public ministry and are paid by public funds. Do as your goverment asks or quit.

The validity of the Foundation Skills Assessment is a whole different issue than the topic at hand. I fully support any teacher in advocating change so long as they do so through proper channels. What the BCTF has done in recent years is turn the public school system into a political circus, and motivated by the union's desire for power teachers have happily dragged their students down face first. Shameful, really.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 6:39 AM

Quote:
The validity of the Foundation Skills Assessment is a whole different issue than the topic at hand. I fully support any teacher in advocating change so long as they do so through proper channels. What the BCTF has done in recent years is turn the public school system into a political circus, and motivated by the union's desire for power teachers have happily dragged their students down face first. Shameful, really.
although this has nothing to do with this thread, i'd like to throw in my opinion on this issue. I graduated from one of the poorer secondary schools in the vancouver district this year, so I believe I was the second year of the FSA's for the grade 4 exam. Back then parents were largely the ones pulling their kids out of the FSA's not teachers. I'd have to agree with ravman though the FSA's are a joke, that seem to benefit the Fraser Institute. The publc school systems are in chaos though, are school actually had to give out these things called iFlirtz quizzes that they then sold the results to students. The government also decided to switch the graduation program requirements completely revamping them 3 times since I entered grade 8, and well the healthy food vending machines completely killed that source revenue in our school, considering a 7/11 is only a 5 minute walk away.... okay enough rambling this probably derserves its own thread in the Political section.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure