HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 12:31 AM

208 Bold - 3/5/17 by Joe, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 7:37 AM

Can't decide if I love or hate this project.

It's great infill that adds a little bit of density, but then the orientation to the street feels odd, it doesn't face the street.

Appearance-wise it is a strange one. I can tell even from the pictures that the quality of work is average or better. Yet they have almost invented a new architectural style here. It looks like a floor was added to an existing three-storey structure, almost. But somehow it all works.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 12:28 PM

A condo here was just on realtor.com $520,000!!!!

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timach View Post
ya thats crazy.

theres also a huge supply of condos from City Square online and the third one isn't even built yet

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
ya thats crazy.

theres also a huge supply of condos from City Square online and the third one isn't even built yet
So Hamilton has a overbuilt condo market? Buyers rejoice!

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 8:07 PM

I know a handful of people who were really let down by their units in City Square. Lots of bulkheads, average to cheap finishes like popcorn ceilings and average hardware, small units... I saw one of the balconies on an upper floor just gushing water once while people stood down and looked up at the building. Lots of people are now trying to sell them/rent them out because of phase 3 construction.

I don't know who would want to live in one of those KNY cream stucco buildings anyways. It's gonna look so dirty in 5 years. Repainting/Cleaning a building like that is a huge cost for a condo corp. Location location location wins here.

Last edited by davidcappi; Mar 7, 2017 at 11:38 PM.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 11:33 PM

I welcome suburban home builders back to the city they've forsaken but they're going to have to do better if they want to compete in a more urban market. You can't just plop down a cardboard box from Waterdown and expect people to be happy. But then that's what they do - it's not like flipping a switch of course.

The two couples I know who bought at City Square are older, seniors in fact. I'm not sure whether that's representative of their market but I'm also fairly certain City Square would not appeal to a younger, savvier buyer in the least.

Waiting to see how the Connaught turns out. My expectations are low, I must say.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timach View Post
I pity the fool.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 11:43 PM

Here's some listings from this building. Units actually look really nice. Super high end appliances and tall, flat ceilings, decent light fixtures, and the bathrooms seem really luxurious without being tacky. I dig it. Definitely more upscale than many new builds that would end up costing this much with upgrades. I can see a buyer who has just cashed out on this insane market being into one of these, or someone who is "downsizing" from a much larger, maybe suburban home:

https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/S...Ontario-L8P1V6

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 12:13 AM

The finishes look nice, but what makes you say they're "Super high end appliances"?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 12:25 AM

Yeah, pretty good for a builder finish. Nice sink. Not half-a-million nice but...

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 12:52 AM

Quote:
The finishes look nice, but what makes you say they're "Super high end appliances"?
Those be some schwanky Samsung appliances. Also those hanging glass range hoods are like $600-800. Definitely upscale. Here's the range from Lowes: https://www.lowes.ca/ranges/samsung-..._g2551106.html

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 5:09 AM
Ham-burgher

I don't mind the look of it at all from the pictures here, though it doesn't seem to resemble anything else downtown. It would probably fit in snugly among some of the suburban multi-unit low rises in north Burlington (though I think it's nicer than most of them).

The photos with the apartment slabs dominating the background may make it seem a little too different for this area. But in the broader context of the surrounding blocks, which have quite an eclectic mix of detached dwellings and small older 3-4 storey walk-ups amid the larger apartment buildings, it may not appear to be as much of a contrast.

This is probably the scale of intensification we'll see in many places in the lower city over the coming years and decades. Probably along major arteries and central areas of the suburban ring as well.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 7:52 PM
Honored Member

Cool looking development. I used to live across the street from here at 179 Bold Street from 1981 - 1984 when I was a grad student at McMaster University.

I love the city of Hamilton. It is my second favourite city in Canada after Halifax, NS (the people in Hamiton seem like Maritimers, friendly and easy going). I still live within driving distance and my oldest son now lives in Hamilton (he likes the city also).

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 12:34 AM

All the Suites sold out ! Hurray for Hamilton - Dave V

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton