HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 4:26 PM
Vancouver Bus Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by idunno View Post
Does anyone have any information about the Richards Street Protected Bike Lane?

If I recall, it was supposed to be extended to the north and the south, but then was delayed for replanning purposes. I emailed the city just because I was curious, but no response.

It'd be fantastic if it was to become a 2-way separated bike lane a la Hornby.
I'd like to know too. The recent changes were mostly awesome, but this would really give the downtown bike network some momentum. I'm starting to lean towards 2-way protected lanes again after seeing how annoying it is to use the new Smithe and Nelson lanes.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large Cat View Post
I'd like to know too. The recent changes were mostly awesome, but this would really give the downtown bike network some momentum. I'm starting to lean towards 2-way protected lanes again after seeing how annoying it is to use the new Smithe and Nelson lanes.
The Nelson bike lane IMO is fine, they just need to extend it to Burrard and across the bridge. The solution for Smithe is to get rid of those mixing zones and extend it to Hornby. I've ridden it a few times and while not ideal, I didn't find it as treacherous as some people have made it out to be.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 7:57 PM
Vancouver Bus Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroundtheworld View Post
The Nelson bike lane IMO is fine, they just need to extend it to Burrard and across the bridge. The solution for Smithe is to get rid of those mixing zones and extend it to Hornby. I've ridden it a few times and while not ideal, I didn't find it as treacherous as some people have made it out to be.
Agree, those are substantially my thoughts too.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
More tales of cyclists behaving badly. Fascinating how cyclists seem to think "share the road" means cars giving way to their every whim:

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/cyclists-behavi...ules-1.3067612
Funny how you chose to not post their companion piece on the wretchedness of drivers.

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/drivers-creatin...ists-1.3069219

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porfiry View Post
Funny how you chose to not post their companion piece on the wretchedness of drivers.
On the issue of getting "doored" by a motorist opening his door as you pass by - cyclists can never assume that a driver is going to notice their presence when they open their door, so they need to cycle with enough of a space between them and a row of parked cars that a suddenly opened door won't hit them. I say this not because I blame cyclists for being doored, but because as a cyclist myself I would never assume that every driver I pass will unfailingly see me before they open their door.

And to motorists: if you're wondering why I'm riding so far away from that line of parked cars - well now you know. And please be patient, if my riding position is blocking your progress then I'll let you get by as soon as an opportunity presents itself.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 12:56 AM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
On the issue of getting "doored" by a motorist opening his door as you pass by - cyclists can never assume that a driver is going to notice their presence when they open their door, so they need to cycle with enough of a space between them and a row of parked cars that a suddenly opened door won't hit them. I say this not because I blame cyclists for being doored, but because as a cyclist myself I would never assume that every driver I pass will unfailingly see me before they open their door.

And to motorists: if you're wondering why I'm riding so far away from that line of parked cars - well now you know. And please be patient, if my riding position is blocking your progress then I'll let you get by as soon as an opportunity presents itself.
Yes, keeping a distance from car doors is one of the first things you learn when being introduced to road cycling. However, at every driving test I've ever had, they ask you to open the door, and you're supposed to look in the mirror and shoulder check as you do it.

Fully agree with your second paragraph too. My cycling route is exclusively one lane each way, which I actually think is more dangerous as a cyclist. This is because when you're passing parked cars, other cars can't stand you being in their way and so they start passing me at all costs, even when there's another car coming in the oncoming lane. This either results in half a foot between me and the passing car as well as between the passing and the oncoming car (so it's only a matter of time before it either clips me or they hit each other, which will likely also result in me being hit) or driving me into the parked cars on the side. I always pull over as soon as a gap appears in the parked cars, and they are frequent.

But no yeah, drivers are the victims in the issue of road safety, 100%

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 5:18 PM

Quote:
More tales of cyclists behaving badly. Fascinating how cyclists seem to think "share the road" means cars giving way to their every whim:

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/cyclists-behavi...ules-1.3067612
Other than some words I don't see what the cyclists are doing wrong. It's a 2-lane road without shoulders to speak of, so there's no room for a car to pass them in the lane. no matter what the cyclist do a driver has to wait for an opening in opposing traffic to pass. Whether the cyclists are going single file or not.

That whole story is about a driver who thinks that cyclists should give way to her every whim. Share the Road was supposed to mean that cyclists have a right to be there , and this kind of misinterpretation is why more and more places are ditching those signs in favour of ones that say "cyclists may use full lane".

The idea that 30 people should be constrained to a space 3' wide so that a single person who happens to be riding a 7' wide sofa can get past is absurd.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemike View Post
The idea that 30 people should be constrained to a space 3' wide so that a single person who happens to be riding a 7' wide sofa can get past is absurd.
I don't have a problem with the idea that a cyclist has to use up a lane in order to ride safely. But I do have a problem with one that refuses to let faster traffic pass in a reasonable amount of time. That seems to be the major thrust of the complaint.

By the same token, as a cyclist I also have a problem with motorists who come up behind me and recklessly try to get past immediately without having the patience to wait a dozen seconds or so for a safe opportunity.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 8:47 PM

Quote:
I think what they mean is that if they see a car behind them for a long time, then be courteous and temporarily reconfigure to single file to allow the car to pass.

Just like many 2 lane highways have "courtesy turn-outs" so slow moving RVs and trucks can pull aside and let others pass.

i.e. The rules of the road include being courteous, not being rigid about enforcing "your rights".

Maybe the municipalities need to provide periodic turnouts (or passing lanes)

Quote:

Special areas called turnouts are sometimes marked on two-way highways. You may pull to the side in these areas and allow cars behind you to pass. Some roads have passing lanes instead of turnouts to allow passing. If you are driving a slow-moving vehicle on a two-way highway where passing is unsafe, pull to the side wherever you can and let the vehicles pass.
https://driversed.com/driving-inform...out-areas.aspx

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...eo0&ajaxhist=0

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 7:27 PM

In Surrey this road would be signed with a cyclist in front of the vehicle. Road signs showing a cyclist beside a vehicle on roads that are too narrow to share a lane sends the wrong message to drivers. River Road's lanes only measure 3.1m on Google Earth and by my experience the lanes are too narrow to share a lane. Municipalities could improve safety and reduce driver frustration by using the appropriate signs and adding "pass when safe". Lanes should be over 4.3m wide to be able to share a lane according to City of Surrey Engineering.

Quote:
Other than some words I don't see what the cyclists are doing wrong. It's a 2-lane road without shoulders to speak of, so there's no room for a car to pass them in the lane. no matter what the cyclist do a driver has to wait for an opening in opposing traffic to pass. Whether the cyclists are going single file or not.

That whole story is about a driver who thinks that cyclists should give way to her every whim. Share the Road was supposed to mean that cyclists have a right to be there , and this kind of misinterpretation is why more and more places are ditching those signs in favour of ones that say "cyclists may use full lane".

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 7:12 PM

Bike BC Funding Boost to $8M per year

Good news, Bike BC funding has been boosted to $8M per year!

Boost for cycling infrastructure funding, earlier application intake for BikeBC, B.C. Air Access Program

The Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure is increasing BikeBC funding for cycling infrastructure projects to $8 million for the 2017-18 fiscal year and will be opening the application intake this fall, announced Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure Todd Stone at the UBCM conference today.

“I know that incorporating more cycling infrastructure in their community plans is a priority for many local governments,” said Stone. “This is also a key priority for our government and this additional investment of $2 million will go a long way to make taking your bike to work and to school more attractive, and making municipal streets safer for cyclists.”

As well, to better align with municipalities’ planning and budget processes, the ministry will be opening the intake for applications for next year’s BikeBC program in mid-October, rather than the traditional winter intake in February. This earlier intake will also be applied to the B.C. Air Access Program, which provides funding for airport infrastructure projects.

“The earlier intake for applications will also mean we will be able to award the funding before the summer months to allow municipalities to move ahead with construction of these projects as soon as possible,” added Stone.

The ministry had previously committed $18 million over three years for the BikeBC program as part of the B.C. on the Move 10 year transportation plan. The ministry is investing $24 million over three years for the B.C. Air Access Program, with $10 million committed for the 2017-18 fiscal year.

The call for applications for both programs will be announced in the coming weeks. Going forward, the ministry will implement the earlier intake dates annually.

Through the B.C. on the Move 10 year transportation plan, the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure will invest almost $2.7 billion over the next three years to improve British Columbia’s transportation network.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 4:33 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Kinda surprised no one has posted this yet since it happened a couple of days ago, but guess it would be appropriate for me to be the one to share...

Quote:
Vancouver Bike Share and Shaw Communications Inc. today announced a multi-year partnership agreement that will see Shaw become the system-wide presenting partner of the City of Vancouver's public bike share system.

Shaw is also pursuing future opportunities to connect the bike share stations with its Shaw Go WiFi network which, when implemented, would provide Vancouver residents and visitors with complimentary WiFi Internet access across the bike share system's footprint.

Bike share programs across North America typically engage corporate sponsors to ensure program sustainability, for example, the programs in both Seattle and Portland have major corporate sponsorship.

Bikes, stations, and other system assets will be re-branded over the coming weeks to reflect the partnership. The cost to use bike share remains the same.
As a promo, Shaw is offering free day passes (unlimited trips under 30min) just use the promo code: shawgo6 It's good until Jan 6 and you can enter the code everyday until then.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 5:27 AM

So people will be surfing the net while riding?

Is this stupid or what?

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad Yablonski View Post

Is this stupid or what?
If that's what you take away from this, you've failed.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 5:10 PM

Quote:

Is this stupid or what?
Google Maps?

Looking up addresses?

Coordinating plans with Whatsapp?

Uploading photos?

Streaming audio from Spotify?

There's a lot of things people do with their phones that use data and it doesn't mean it's necessarily happening while one is in the act of riding.

Good news on the sponsorship of the bikeshare system.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 10:55 PM

Quote:
It's the bike stations that are getting equipped with WiFi, not the bikes.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2016, 10:00 PM

They need to make sure the drainage gaps are cleared.
Saw lots like this:

Beatty St. Pic by me today.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2016, 7:05 AM

Once again the city provides lip service to putting pedestrains first and kowtows to the bike lobby:

Vancouver residents question why bike lanes are clear but sidewalks remain icy

Some Vancouver residents are frustrated after the city cleared bike lanes of ice before sidewalks.

Pedestrians navigated the icy walkways along the False Creek Seawall on Tuesday, with many we spoke to saying it looks like the City of Vancouver has not put down nearly enough sand or salt.

“I think it’s really treacherous here,” said one person who was out walking in Olympic Village. “It’s surprising they haven’t cleared this. I’m slipping and sliding.”

However, the adjacent bikeway is mostly clear of ice and snow and people have noticed a similar situation in other areas of the city since the winter weather hit....

http://globalnews.ca/news/3149777/va...mpaign_id=A100

Old Posted Dec 29, 2016, 4:23 PM

The title is editorialized. Why not ask why the roads are clear too?

The real complaint should be about sidewalks only. Putting bike lanes in the title stirs up needless controversy, and brings out the bike-hater lobby (case in point).

Old Posted Dec 29, 2016, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Once again the city provides lip service to putting pedestrains first and kowtows to the bike lobby:

Vancouver residents question why bike lanes are clear but sidewalks remain icy

Some Vancouver residents are frustrated after the city cleared bike lanes of ice before sidewalks.

Pedestrians navigated the icy walkways along the False Creek Seawall on Tuesday, with many we spoke to saying it looks like the City of Vancouver has not put down nearly enough sand or salt.

“I think it’s really treacherous here,” said one person who was out walking in Olympic Village. “It’s surprising they haven’t cleared this. I’m slipping and sliding.”

However, the adjacent bikeway is mostly clear of ice and snow and people have noticed a similar situation in other areas of the city since the winter weather hit....

http://globalnews.ca/news/3149777/va...mpaign_id=A100
Yes, I saw the little plows clearing the bike lanes (for the people daft and pigheaded enough to bike in snow) and thought what a wonderful world it would be if the city actually cleared major pedestrian routes, and then reminded myself where I was: Land o'Gregor.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure