HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Feb 10, 2009, 6:25 PM

Well if they build it, which they should, then they should run it from Lake city station. Its only 350m longer by my counts but doesnt go over the top of any residential housing. It goes over mostly industrial buildings, AND straight over the storage tanks therefore minimizing environmental impacts and could very well be cheaper. More importantly it lines up absolutely perfectly with a landing on the Belcarra penisula at the old thermal station. Its only a extra 2.5km. You can run it to the bottom of the hill where you can link it up with the Hastings express bus that can bypass SFU and head to Port Moody and the Evergreen line. Then it just crosses the water and ends at a park and ride and a bus loop. The old thermal plant lands are planed to be redeveloped and this would be a pretty nice catalist, not to mention the owners could become partners and help pay for a part of it. In any case the time savings that it would lead to for the people in the area would be huge so I could see it attracting alot of new riders, there are thousands of people living there already in Anmore, Belcarra and northern Port Moody. If it would have the same specs as the Peak to Peak in Whistler than it would take 8min from Lake City to SFU, 3min from SFU to Barnett highway and then 3min from Barnett highway to Belcara. That means 14min from Belcara to Lake City skytrain, add to that 30sec per station and its a nice even 15min trip. Peak to Peak has a frequency of 49seconds.
Just build the dam thing to Belcara and be proactive, it be great and I cant see it not being feasible.

here is a map...

where it says opened up roads there already are roads but their part of the old thermal plant and would probably need a bit of widening and fixing up.

Also keep in mind again that it goes over only industrial land, no residential, this should cut costs and minimize issues.
If the Production way proposal costs 70mill than this entire thing could be under 140mill and I wouldn't be surprised if you could get the entire cost back from developers in the Belcara area, most notably the owner of the old Thermal plant(forget the name).

Old Posted Feb 10, 2009, 6:42 PM
loafing in lotusland

Hmm... now THAT's an interesting idea. What's the stop on Barnet highway for? I would assume, would link up to a Future WCE station or Rapid Bus? There's not much potential there for much more than an transfer station.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2009, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintinium View Post
Hmm... now THAT's an interesting idea. What's the stop on Barnet highway for? I would assume, would link up to a Future WCE station or Rapid Bus? There's not much potential there for much more than an transfer station.
i was thinking a transfer station for a rerouted Hastings B-Line and maybe a WCE train.
on the other hand if you skip it than it makes the entire extension probably much cheaper and easier to implement.
the area around the area is all parkland.

the Belcara area that is part of Port Moody, like the old Thermal station has enormous potential though. If Translik somehow ever managed to buy up alot of that land for cheap than it could stand to make a killing as that area is surrounded by beauty and NO nimbys...the area is nestled between hills and forests(seperated from all other developments) with nothing across from the inlet and the closes people living in different municipalities.
Having said that any significant development would require a commitment to a vehicle bridge otherwise Port Moody wouldent allow anything significant, and for good reasons. The nice thing about this is that a bridge would connect up with Barnet, and with a short and already looked in to connection to Gaglardi and the number 1. At some point in the very long term any bridge would likely also conect a new Squamish Vancouver route via Indian arm. Basically that area if planed out right has tremendous potential, and the ball can be set rolling with this Aerial Tram.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2009, 11:01 PM

no more snow day excuses for SFU

Old Posted Feb 11, 2009, 1:14 AM
Transit User

The SFU Gondola is an awesome idea. Construction impact will be minimal for the environment and operations wise replacing buses with electric gondola is also a bonus. Plus its fast. The only drawback may be reliability - these systems are kind of single point of failure systems, at least based on what I've seen skiing. We need more out of box transportation ideas for the region and gondolas especially with our geography should be considered more often.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2009, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randito View Post
Having moved to quebec 5 years ago, I have some experience with funiculars. They are better for short hauls with more serious grade, like 45 %
I assume you mean 45 degrees, which is a 100% grade (rise over run, 1/1). 45% is about 24 degrees (which is steep too).

WBC, good point about the source of failure, but there are other transit systems in Vancouver which are similar, like the Sea Bus, or perhaps more dire, the Grouse Mountain gondola (though, they have a back-up system).

In wonder how they intend to deal with the storage tanks. That could be seen as either a wonderful right-of-way (of sorts), or as a major liability.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2009, 2:51 AM

Humm. I can't see how it can meet the demand or how it will be better than a bus. But I like it, fo course.

Funchal, Maderia - Gondola over the rooftops of the city.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2009, 3:57 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornholio View Post
Well if they build it, which they should, then they should run it from Lake city station. Its only 350m longer by my counts but doesnt go over the top of any residential housing. It goes over mostly industrial buildings, AND straight over the storage tanks therefore minimizing environmental impacts and could very well be cheaper.
for me that sort of thing is bottom-line/non-negotiable. transit users lose a lot of time transferring from one thing to another (whether bus->bus or skytrain->bus or whatever) so I would say the gondola station would have to be inside the lake city way or production way skytrain stops. maybe another gondola could be added on the evergreen line also sooner or later also.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2009, 4:32 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Peak to Peak Gondola from Whistler 365 on Global TV BC:
http://canwest.a.mms.mavenapps.net/m...Object=3555919

Is it just me... or did we never have a Peak to Peak thread... I'm probably dreaming of things.

Now according to that video, the cost of the Peak to Peak is $52 million... ummm why is this $68.2 million?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2009, 4:48 AM
BANNED

http://www.bclocalnews.com/greater_v.../39339129.html ( there is a picture on the site)

Burnaby NewsLeader
Gondola planned for Burnaby Mountain
BE0212-BurnabyMtnGondola.jpg
The proposed gondola route would be from Production Way SkyTrain station near Gagliardi and Lougheed Highway to the transit loop at SFU campus.

By Grant Granger - Burnaby NewsLeader

Published: February 10, 2009 4:00 PM
Updated: February 10, 2009 4:25 PM

0 Comments

About 18 months ago Gordon Harris was watching the news and the proverbial light went on above his head.

The Simon Fraser University Community Trust CEO had his interest piqued by a story about the Peak 2 Peak gondola system between Whistler and Blackcomb mountains.

"Why couldn't you do that on Burnaby Mountain," he asked.

He thought it would be a terrific way to relieve the congestion on buses between the Production Way SkyTrain station and SFU's transit loop beside UniverCity, the development the SFU Trust is in charge of.

No one could tell him why not, so the trust commissioned engineer Bryce Tupper, who worked with Whistler owners Intrawest on Peak 2 Peak, to do a feasibility assessment.

That study was encouraging enough for him to talk to potential stakeholders such as TransLink. On Monday, the organization released its vision.

The trust's concept is for a $68.9 million project that would require five towers with the gondolas running above the trees. Harris said a gondola transit system would improve reliability and travel times, as well as reduce the greenhouse gas emissions produced by the diesel buses that run up and down the mountain.

Harris said travel time would be about six minutes, a big time saving since in ideal conditions it takes 14 minutes for buses to make the trip. It would also be able to operate during winter days when it's too dangerous for buses to travel to SFU.

Harris said the capital cost is also feasible since eventually TransLink will need to spend $50 million, he estimates, just on replacing the buses needed to go up to SFU, and the operating cost for the system would be $3.14 million annually compared to the $6 million it costs to run the buses.

Harris believes the system could be up and running by late 2011.

Because a section of the proposed gondola route would travel over the Burnaby Mountain Conservation Area, community consultation will be needed. Harris, however, said it should have minimal environmental impact.

Map from SFU Community Trust of the preferred route

The conservation area was sold back to the city by SFU in 1995. Burnaby Mayor Derek Corrigan said he would have to investigate the impact of the towers but thinks that can be accommodated. He also loves the outside-the-lines thinking by Harris.

"It's a pretty creative idea. I'm certainly not dismissing it. I'm not adopting it at this point because I don't have enough information," said Corrigan. "It's an exciting alternative to busing up the hill.

"Like any good idea it will have to stand the test of scrutiny."

Harris said he's keen to sit down with TransLink to see if it can be done.

"I would like to see this integrated with the TransLink fare system," Harris said. "So far this is just an idea and there's a lot of work to be done between just an idea and a gondola."

TransLink hasn't even begun to take a look at the idea, said spokeswoman Judy Rudin, and would need more information. Gondola systems, she pointed out, are generally considered outside TransLink's purview.

Burquitlam MLA Harry Bloy initially had second thoughts about it, but he likes the possible environmental and economic advantages. He has spoken to Transportation Minister Kevin Falcon three times about it.

"He's interested in the concept," said Bloy, who plans to work with all levels of government to promote it.

"It's unique and outside the box."

Project Fast Facts

• During peak hours buses depart every 90 seconds between Production Way SkyTrain station and SFU; Gondolas can leave as quickly as every 15 seconds.

• In ideal conditions it takes buses 14 minutes to get to SFU; the gondola will take six.

• Two-thirds of SFU students and use transit to get to the university and 40 per cent of UniverCity residents do as well.

• It is expected the 19,000 who currently travel to SFU daily will increase to 37,500 by 2030

• On approximately 10 days each year, bus service to SFU is either severely hampered or cancelled due to weather conditions, impacting as many as 20,000 rider trips for each day of impacted service.

• Loading and unloading of the Burnaby Mountain gondola would be universally accessible due to the very low speeds in the terminal buildings and a level threshold with no step, and gondola cabins would be outfitted with flip seating to accommodate wheelchairs, strollers and bikes.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2009, 5:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornholio View Post
i was thinking a transfer station for a rerouted Hastings B-Line and maybe a WCE train.
on the other hand if you skip it than it makes the entire extension probably much cheaper and easier to implement.
the area around the area is all parkland.

the Belcara area that is part of Port Moody, like the old Thermal station has enormous potential though. If Translik somehow ever managed to buy up alot of that land for cheap than it could stand to make a killing as that area is surrounded by beauty and NO nimbys...the area is nestled between hills and forests(seperated from all other developments) with nothing across from the inlet and the closes people living in different municipalities.
Having said that any significant development would require a commitment to a vehicle bridge otherwise Port Moody wouldent allow anything significant, and for good reasons. The nice thing about this is that a bridge would connect up with Barnet, and with a short and already looked in to connection to Gaglardi and the number 1. At some point in the very long term any bridge would likely also conect a new Squamish Vancouver route via Indian arm. Basically that area if planed out right has tremendous potential, and the ball can be set rolling with this Aerial Tram.

i thought that land was already all bought up by a developer planning something like 45,000 homes ??

Old Posted Feb 11, 2009, 5:13 AM
BANNED

that is sooooooo cool. here's that map from the article

I wonder how many people would take it just for the view

Old Posted Feb 11, 2009, 5:15 AM

^^^ if they do they better make it easier to use than the one in Portland

tried to use that one but they only take credit cards or exact change and there was nowhere to get change from in the area its located

Old Posted Feb 11, 2009, 5:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
Peak to Peak Gondola from Whistler 365 on Global TV BC:
http://canwest.a.mms.mavenapps.net/m...Object=3555919

Is it just me... or did we never have a Peak to Peak thread... I'm probably dreaming of things.

Now according to that video, the cost of the Peak to Peak is $52 million... ummm why is this $68.2 million?
lol, the peak2peak topic is in the B.C. forum.....unless we wanna declare Whistler an extension of Metro Vancouver?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2009, 5:49 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Yeah I was being stupid.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2009, 5:50 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amor de cosmos View Post

I wonder how many people would take it just for the view
just last month when it was foggy down here, it was SUNNY up there and it was beautiful!

Old Posted Feb 11, 2009, 7:04 AM
David

As an SFU student I am thrilled about this possibility!

I have been wondering what they mean about "two" bus routes being replaced by this gondola. The 145 is obvious, but what is the other one? The 144 which travels between Sperling and SFU via Duthie/Hastings? I dont think it would be the 143 either, since afaik it is supposed to be integrated into the Evergreen Line at Como Lake and Clarke.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2009, 7:41 AM

Just don't build it like the one in Hong Kong:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ngong_Ping_360#Incidents

Old Posted Feb 11, 2009, 7:58 AM

^ Hong Kong used bi-cables, Peak2Peak uses tri-cables.....i'm assuming the more, the safer. :p

Old Posted Feb 11, 2009, 8:20 AM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
As an SFU student I am thrilled about this possibility!

I have been wondering what they mean about "two" bus routes being replaced by this gondola. The 145 is obvious, but what is the other one? The 144 which travels between Sperling and SFU via Duthie/Hastings? I dont think it would be the 143 either, since afaik it is supposed to be integrated into the Evergreen Line at Como Lake and Clarke.
My guess is the 143.
Its route is mostly served by other buses on Como Lake Road. It's primarily a way to connect Coquitlam Centre with SFU. It does that in about 30 minutes.

When the EG line starts, One option students will have will be to switch to the much faster train, and transfer at University Station. From Coquitlam to Lougheed will be 13 minutes. Total 15 minutes to Production-Way.

Yes, factor in the slog up the hill (15 minutes) and the total time will probably be "about" the same when you add in the transfer, but I think most will prefer the comfort of the train... along with the frequency and predictability.

There may still be a need for a bus along Como Lake, but if there were a Gondola, they would probably end up having to transfer. That's just a thought, and it would depend on demand, were such a Gondola constructed.

The EG will definitely take people away from the 143, though, that's for sure.

They could also mean the 144, but that bus is the only bus that serves Duthie, along with quite a few destinations in central Burnaby.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure